AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-20, 11:00   Link #1041
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I actually think it should be the opposite: instead of the Titans attacking, it should be attacking the Titans since that's what Eren is training for, right?
The problem is that the original title implies that the "titans" are the subject of the sentence. "Advance of the giants" is an almost literal translation.
"Rise of the titans" could have been a good way to adapt and render the meaning in English. The emphasis is definitely on how these monsters are subjugating humanity and dethroning them from their position at the top of the ecological pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
That's why the show should be translated in to English as "The Eotena Onslaught"
Definitely an interesting acid trip, but well I hope no one is going to take that too seriously.
It's interesting to note that the fan translators of the manga chose the term "titan" for "kyojin" even though the only time their name appears romanized in the manga it reads "giant" which is the closest translation of "kyojin".
Then "titan" became the official English translation when the anime was announced. Coincidence, or did they check how the English speaking fanbase grew accustomed to call them?

At any rate I think Titan is a good way to call them. The point is that "kyojin" is a very mundane term in Japanese, "giant" would have been a good translation too for that reason, but titan sounds nicer and more menacing.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 11:56   Link #1042
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's never easy to say which is the correct spelling in roman characters of names that in the original only appear in katakana.

Most of the times translators whether they are "amateur" or "professional" only take a guess and adapt to what they think it's the most logical spelling.
In a few cases the original work provides the spelling in romaji, that doesn't seem the case with Shingeki no Kyojin, but even in those cases often it is a last-minute guess (meaning that the author originally only thought about the katakana names and only later tried to render them in romaji for promo materials, artbooks and so on) often with not very satisfying results.

Take for example the English title "Attack on titan", exactly what is that supposed to mean? If I didn't know what's this story is about I'd think "Titan" refers to the moon of Saturn.
I was taken aback a bit by the english title at first as kyojin (巨人) doesn't actually mean 'Titan', and if you go by the Japanese title it's not the 'Titan' who's being attacked, it's them doing the attacking

Edit: opps didn't see your comment above. never mind then.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 12:01   Link #1043
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I actually think it should be the opposite: instead of the Titans attacking, it should be attacking the Titans since that's what Eren is training for, right?
That's definitely one way to interpret it. I think Attack of the Titans works the best IMO and still says what the story about on a basic level. Probably sounds too much like a 80's B movie though. lol
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 12:09   Link #1044
Accelolita_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Jaeger or Yeager?

What's the correct English spelling for Eren's surname?
I personally would say "Jaeger" since it's the German word for "hunter" and that would fit Eren pretty good lol
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 12:37   Link #1045
bastek66

They did it, they nailed everything, what a perfect episode
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 12:46   Link #1046
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 13:06   Link #1047
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
They did it, they nailed everything, what a perfect episode
And this is the second time in 24 hours that I die of happiness.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 13:46   Link #1048
EroKing

Old 2013-04-20, 14:47   Link #1049
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

The lips really bug me tbh.
Old 2013-04-20, 14:59   Link #1050
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

First time in a long time I've actually went and watched the RAW before a sub was out...

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Old 2013-04-20, 15:11   Link #1051
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Quote:
That's why the show should be translated in to English as "The Eotena Onslaught" :p

Spoiler for Long Explanation:
The problem with this is that they assume that the Eoten of legend and the Titans in SnK are the same thing based only 2 episodes of speculation.
Old 2013-04-20, 15:13   Link #1052
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

BTW It was just pointed out to me by a friend but........how the hell did I not notice Annie in episode 2 getting bread!?
Old 2013-04-20, 15:51   Link #1053
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
BTW It was just pointed out to me by a friend but........how the hell did I not notice Annie in episode 2 getting bread!?
Oh... what the hell! I totally didn't notice...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 15:58   Link #1054
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor Jube View Post
The problem with this is that they assume that the Eoten of legend and the Titans in SnK are the same thing based only 2 episodes of speculation.
Bigger problem is that most people won't know what the hell Eoten means.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 17:14   Link #1055
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Oh... what the hell! I totally didn't notice...
I know right!? It's just so freaking subtle...I wonder if thereare cameos from the other squad members during episode 1 and 2 that we completely miss.
Old 2013-04-20, 17:47   Link #1056
Shadow5YA

Quote:
That's why the show should be translated in to English as "The Eotena Onslaught"

I don't particularly agree with that argument. Despite it not being historically accurate, people still use "Titans" interchangeably with Giants/Gigants (with Titan having more mythological connotations), even moreso with Disney's popularized (even if bastardized) versions of Titans in their version of Hercules.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 17:53   Link #1057
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The last time I saw similar bold outlines was in Toshokan Sensou, a Production I.G anime:

I wonder if it's a part of the studio's aesthetic housestyle.
Quite the opposite, actually. Production I.G is generally known for their fine, consistent lines and proportioned character designs with perhaps a few exceptions due to the particular styles of the source materials e.g. Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san. Even Library War is typical I.G with some "bold outlines" thrown in here and there.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 17:58   Link #1058
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 18:53   Link #1059
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:

Then, why Commie don't use "Giant" instead the old English "Eoten"?
Old 2013-04-20, 19:57   Link #1060
Trudinh

Quote:
The problem is that the original title implies that the "titans" are the subject of the sentence. "Advance of the giants" is an almost literal translation.
"Rise of the titans" could have been a good way to adapt and render the meaning in English. The emphasis is definitely on how these monsters are subjugating humanity and dethroning them from their position at the top of the ecological pyramid.

Definitely an interesting acid trip, but well I hope no one is going to take that too seriously.
It's interesting to note that the fan translators of the manga chose the term "titan" for "kyojin" even though the only time their name appears romanized in the manga it reads "giant" which is the closest translation of "kyojin".
Then "titan" became the official English translation when the anime was announced. Coincidence, or did they check how the English speaking fanbase grew accustomed to call them?

At any rate I think Titan is a good way to call them. The point is that "kyojin" is a very mundane term in Japanese, "giant" would have been a good translation too for that reason, but titan sounds nicer and more menacing.
ya, i think the translator should just use titan or giant since many people understand it. I literally went to google and try define Eoten. err, maybe im just not well educated.
Trudinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence