AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: My-Otome Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 44 24.04%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 64 34.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 23.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.19%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-14, 22:07   Link #341
Hyosuke575

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonZ
Hum...

HiME Spoilers

Spoiler:

The only kind of reset which could happen, if Aoi is really dead, or we watch more people dying without green sparks, would be reality manipulation(probably using the Harmonium and the Blue Star), but that was considered something evil in HiME, so I don't see it happening now.

Besides, a green spark resurrection in Otome would actually mean bringing back every Schwarz member, not just Erstin, and any eventually dead Otome/Master...
You know you're right it wouldn't make sense to have a complete reset, but I still think that they will bring characters who had died such as Erstin and Aoi back to life. I agree with Akuma how he also thinks its possible that the harmonium will bring the characters back to life but what I wasn't thinking before is that they will decide who to bring back. That I never thought of. Anyways it seems that majority of people think the next person to die will be Sergei, and I have to say I agree now. I didn't before but now I can just see so many ways on how he could die.
Old 2006-02-14, 22:11   Link #342
monster

If they bring back Erstin, they'll have to bring back all the other summoners as well, to be fair. And I think most of them are bad people that don't deserve a reset.
Old 2006-02-14, 22:13   Link #343
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Reset Ending.

If enough people die from this point out, I really do think there will be a "reset" of sorts. Though the body bags are few at the moment, the possibilities for parallels are too abundant to totally rule out a reset ending. Even if there isn’t a reset, there will be some kind of “soft” ending I’m sure. This show has too much humor scattered around it for some serious nihilistic last one standing type ending.
Old 2006-02-14, 22:28   Link #344
PwrSerge
It's good to be evil...

I would continue to point out that the only "confirmed" death we have so far is Erstin.

With Aoi there's just enough missing to suggest survival.
Rena is still floating around in the "We just don’t know" category.

In my experience it is incredibly hart to keep a character dead in a sci-fi / fantasy setting. We have barely sufficient data to confirm that Erstin and the three slave summoners are gone. That's it.

So far, nowhere near the body count required for a reset ending. Especially when you consider the entire problem with a Deus Ex Machina plotline in the first place.

SERGE
Old 2006-02-14, 23:09   Link #345
Hyosuke575

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrSerge
I would continue to point out that the only "confirmed" death we have so far is Erstin.

With Aoi there's just enough missing to suggest survival.
Rena is still floating around in the "We just don’t know" category.

In my experience it is incredibly hart to keep a character dead in a sci-fi / fantasy setting. We have barely sufficient data to confirm that Erstin and the three slave summoners are gone. That's it.

So far, nowhere near the body count required for a reset ending. Especially when you consider the entire problem with a Deus Ex Machina plotline in the first place.

SERGE
Wow you know what I completely forgot about Rena! Shes another one who could be dead, like Aoi. Also if you go back and watch the opening you can see a picture of Rena lying in a pool of blood with Sergei in front. If I remember right Sergei thinks shes dead already. Not that proves anything of her being dead or not but why does he think shes dead. Well I could be wrong but it just makes me think more and more between the relationship between Rena and Sergei. I hope they reveal more about that soon.
Old 2006-02-14, 23:13   Link #346
zeiva

Lol, the removing eyes of people is often used in manga to portray people who are really really angry. Unlike popping veins that usually used to portray angry in cartoony/not so serious kind of angry.

I don't think it has something to do with dehumanizing, or making them look like less human. Rather to Mashiro, she feels those people are extremely angry to her. She felt helpless, not only she lost everything, people really really hate her.
Old 2006-02-14, 23:33   Link #347
MattAlchemy

Send a message via AIM to MattAlchemy Send a message via MSN to MattAlchemy
They probably wont make a 3rd series. That's why in the 1st one, they made everyone probably come back and enter Mai-Otome. Even though Mai-Otome and Mai-HiME don't connect at all, it wont make sense if there character dies in MH and is alive in MO. So they probably will make them die and not come back.
Old 2006-02-15, 02:19   Link #348
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeiva
Lol, the removing eyes of people is often used in manga to portray people who are really really angry. Unlike popping veins that usually used to portray angry in cartoony/not so serious kind of angry.
But in a monstrous manner, in this case.

The eyes, moreso in anime than most other artforms, are windows to the soul, and terefore the size and shape of which indicate how "soulful" a person is, so to speak. Hence painfully cute girls and little boys have huge, warm and expressive eyes (in most cases).

The absenece of eyes, however, is what also makes HR Giger's Alien frightening.

No eyes: And therefore no soul.
Old 2006-02-15, 07:02   Link #349
dreamercross

I don't think those people who summoned Slaves are all that bad. They might have summoned the Slaves so that everyone could get the technology and make the world a better place.
They are just fighting for what they believe is right ,like Erstin.

(E.g. like how Aswald is bad to everyone in Windbloom,but they're actually kind to those poor people.)
Old 2006-02-15, 07:26   Link #350
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamercross
I don't think those people who summoned Slaves are all that bad. They might have summoned the Slaves so that everyone could get the technology and make the world a better place.
They are just fighting for what they believe is right ,like Erstin.

(E.g. like how Aswald is bad to everyone in Windbloom,but they're actually kind to those poor people.)
That doesn't tell me much.

People do what they believe is right. But that is the reason anyone does anything! There is no "Dr Evil" in the world, with people doing horrible things for the sake of it.

Shwartz has been assassinating people all across the planet for some time. (from official website info)

Shwartz is a religion, with people believing it's their divine right to do what they do. Midori's group are not saints, but even they have learned to distant themselves from Shwartz and its actions. Human lives are discarded like used tissue paper as far as Shwartz is concerned, and that's what I can't stand.
Old 2006-02-15, 08:57   Link #351
dreamercross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
That doesn't tell me much.

People do what they believe is right. But that is the reason anyone does anything! There is no "Dr Evil" in the world, with people doing horrible things for the sake of it.

Shwartz has been assassinating people all across the planet for some time. (from official website info)

Shwartz is a religion, with people believing it's their divine right to do what they do. Midori's group are not saints, but even they have learned to distant themselves from Shwartz and its actions. Human lives are discarded like used tissue paper as far as Shwartz is concerned, and that's what I can't stand.
Most of the people who received the black letter all has surprised expression.

It's like they're not ready to endanger and give up their normal lives by summoning a Slave.
This means that they're not trained soldiers who are planted in society just to wait for the black letter to arrive. They're like volunteers that think that their's and
the people they care about lifes will improve if they fight for their cause.

So,they're probably manipulated by someone. They're not evil at all. The people sending them those black crystals are the ones who are evil.
Old 2006-02-15, 10:33   Link #352
Akuma-sama
Purr, good kitty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Shwartz is a religion, with people believing it's their divine right to do what they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamercross
So,they're probably manipulated by someone. They're not evil at all. The people sending them those black crystals are the ones who are evil.
That's the thing; they're a religion. Look at how Erstin got commanded by Smith; the letters are kinda like "Time to prove yourself to your god, he has a mission for you to accomplish." It's not a matter of being evil, it's a matter of belief; if they truly believe their god (old Sauron-with-a-hat) will reward them for their actions, they'll do it.

Don't try to put rationality into it; when it comes to religion, humans tend to be stupid.
Old 2006-02-16, 00:52   Link #353
Lost

Irritated with Mai Otome's ED

(Dont want to start a new thread for this one, so i'll just post it here)

Grrrr... Just got off MO episode 18, it was a quite an emotionally filled episode. I was feeling really sad at Aoi's "death" and how Mashiro couldnt stop it, (since we aren't so sure if she did actually die yet) and was also kinda down due to Mashiro's pitiful state, and then the credits opened and the song bunged all the emotions up... it spoiled everything.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the ED should be changed? Is there any official word on a new ED? a sadder one, perhaps?

p.s. sorry if this is
Old 2006-02-16, 01:42   Link #354
MattAlchemy

Send a message via AIM to MattAlchemy Send a message via MSN to MattAlchemy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
(Dont want to start a new thread for this one, so i'll just post it here)

Grrrr... Just got off MO episode 18, it was a quite an emotionally filled episode. I was feeling really sad at Aoi's "death" and how Mashiro couldnt stop it, (since we aren't so sure if she did actually die yet) and was also kinda down due to Mashiro's pitiful state, and then the credits opened and the song bunged all the emotions up... it spoiled everything.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the ED should be changed? Is there any official word on a new ED? a sadder one, perhaps?

p.s. sorry if this is
It's okay for me, I like to see Arika run for the whole ED...
Old 2006-02-16, 02:57   Link #355
Lost

Arika? Arika pisses me off... Jk... just cant get over the ED laaaaaah... Lol. Anyway, where was Arika when Mashiro needed her? IMO Arika is in a very dangerous position... Because if Mashiro dies, wont her Otome (i.e. Arika) die too?

Of course that can be used two ways. If Mashiro dies = Arika dies then its pretty sure that Mashiro wont die alone in the desert (or is that dessert ). But thats already a given, I guess.

While I'm still sad, I'm happy that MO is taking a more interesting turn now. BUT the ED is still unsuitable for all the future sad episodes!!!!! We need something to carry on the dark mood/sadness into the credits, right to the end, not cut it off abruptly!

PLS PLS GIVE US A NEW ED SUNRISE!!!! BTW.... Listening to Wolf's Rain ED now, Gravity... a song of that kind would be great for MO... *hint*hint* Sunrise...
Old 2006-02-16, 06:13   Link #356
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma-sama
That's the thing; they're a religion. Look at how Erstin got commanded by Smith; the letters are kinda like "Time to prove yourself to your god, he has a mission for you to accomplish." It's not a matter of being evil, it's a matter of belief; if they truly believe their god (old Sauron-with-a-hat) will reward them for their actions, they'll do it.

Don't try to put rationality into it; when it comes to religion, humans tend to be stupid.

If you want real-life comparison, look at what Bin Laden and others like him are doing using 'jihad' for in their 'campaigns' and the concept of suicide bombers. Why else would people go to their own deaths if Allah wouldn't reward their faithfulness to destroying heathens as he commanded? (Whether or not Allah commanded them or not is an entirely different truckload of worms.)

Anyway, I brought that up to show the startling similarity that Schwartz has, in that respect, to Bin Laden's group (can't spell the last name of it - Al Q-something). They both promise the favor and blessings of God if they perform a task that, normally, the people would abhor. Fanatical religion is not for the weak-minded - sorry Erstin. ^^; While I'm on it, it seems that the Schwartz higher-ups are just using the 'Dark Light God' as a way to secure followers/summoners to gain their objectives to 're-acquire' the Colonization Era technology and 'spread it to the world' via their fingers instead of Garderobe's.

Erstin's the nicest, most cuddly 15 year old I've seen but she was also weak-minded. If only she had known Arika and Nina earlier in life, she might have be able to find something substantial in what she had found in her two friends and the other Corals to resist Smith's commands to destroy them.
Old 2006-02-16, 09:17   Link #357
Lost

Haha... If this forum gets hacked again I'll be pretty sure who's group did it.

But... I disagree with Tempest. I do not think Ers is weak minded in the form of falling prey to Schwartz's "religion". Remember, she was given training thru-out her life, probably starting from her birth into the Ho family. So to her (no matter what that "religion" actually is in reality), to her, what she is doing is part of her belief. Even in what she said when she was phasing into green sparkles (i.e. dying)... she personally believes in releasing this technology so that peace can abound and she would be able to stay with Arika and Nina forever. So she is doing this because she believes in it.

It wasnt just Smith's commands that drove her. IT NEVER IS THAT SIMPLE. She was subjected to this ideology from birth... to us (the veiwer) we know that it is probably a manipulation of her (and others) by the organisation's higher-ups, but for Er's she wouldnt know that---to her it would be her life, just as she said, her father, grandfather, mother, grandmother. That indoctrination from young would be the the main driving reason; if not, why even respond to Smith in the first place.

She was abit hestitant in harming Arika and Mashiro, but this does not neccessarily mean that she is doubting her beliefs. Rather IMO, she is doubting the MEANS to acheive those beliefs. It shows that she views her friends as individuals important to her, such that if possible, she would want to find a different way to acheive this belief of hers. Ultimately, when push came to shove, she acted and took a swipe at Arika (granted, she didnt put her full into it).

Still what I want to put across is that Ers is not weak minded, she didnt just simply fall for Smith's "religion". Further, would a weak minded girl (with full knowlege of the consequences) put her slave into the path of a mad, unstable, young, hotheaded charging Otome who had her weapons drawn?

I think not.

God... Am I making any sense?
Old 2006-02-16, 18:07   Link #358
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

To me, she came across as being 'weak-minded' when it really counted but I didn't have a better word to outright describe what I thought she was doing/thinking. To me, it takes a strong mind to reign in instinct in situations like that. Obeying Smith was conditioned so strongly that it was almost instinct, hence the half-hearted swipe. She didn't really hurt Arika but she still swung.

In a crucial point, just before she summoned the Slave, she really didn't have to, family beliefs or no. She knew that Arika was Mashiro's Otome at that point and she knew full well that summoning a Slave would bind her to it. It sucks that she was 'taught'/conditioned to this.

On a more broad perspective, using a religion or a belief to justify doing something like that is just wrong. I guess I'm more upset with John Smith and I wish that Sergay had put a bullet in that fool's big forehead when he had the chance... -_-; The belief that Garderobe's technology should be shared is not wrong. The belief that it will take force such as using a Slave (which mirrors the Otome system) to achieve this IS wrong. There were no 'talks' about slowly introducing nanomachines to the masses going on or anything like that. Schwartz is twisting this belief for their own ends and it kinda pisses me off that Erstin suffered for it.
Old 2006-02-16, 19:42   Link #359
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35
On a more broad perspective, using a religion or a belief to justify doing something like that is just wrong. I guess I'm more upset with John Smith and I wish that Sergay had put a bullet in that fool's big forehead when he had the chance... -_-; The belief that Garderobe's technology should be shared is not wrong. The belief that it will take force such as using a Slave (which mirrors the Otome system) to achieve this IS wrong. There were no 'talks' about slowly introducing nanomachines to the masses going on or anything like that. Schwartz is twisting this belief for their own ends and it kinda pisses me off that Erstin suffered for it.
Yes, I remember Sergey carrying a gun he used in the tunnel? Haiz.. just another one of those plotholes... *Goes to plot-hole thread to make a post* But hey, it only makes Smith available to us for more Smith-bashing. I guess with Smith being such a prominent bad guy here, he'll probably come to a hard demise at the end of the show.
Closed Thread