AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-11-27, 17:49   Link #8541
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
There is no single storyline within OCT. Rather, every person that has a story works with their own personal fanon, and incorporates other people's OCs as they wish (assuming permission was granted). There are incidences of two authors working together, but for the most part everyone's storyline is standalone and does not mesh together with others.

All you need to know is who is writing what, and who the characters are within. Most of these stories are linked to in the Index on the first page, or you could click on links in people's sigs, like mine or Keroko's.
Or mine :3

P.S. Speaking of which...Maybe I should write a post or two soon...

*goes back to working on bank reports*
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 20:51   Link #8542
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyss View Post
sweet mother of osiris!!

I've been ready this thread for 7 hrs straight to cope up with the OCT story line and now my eyes are friggin burning >.<
The closest to a common story I guess is the some of us who try to include every OC every created... Not that these stories last for more than a couple of chapters before real life steals us away again...

And then there's me, whole does it all plus modification and elaboration of the universe at large, and leaves everyone else confused. Good thing for you that I don't have as many posts in this thread as the previous one...

I see that you are a doujin artist! That's a rare talent around here.
Old 2009-11-28, 09:09   Link #8543
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Oh look. Only 2 months delay.

- Hopefully more smooth.
- Some OCs removed (that hadn't been introduced anyway, check Index for more info), some modified and with a bigger role.
- Less "world" jumping. Still perspective jump from character to character, but only within the same situation and chapter.

Knight of Exodus

Spoiler for Chapter 12 - Seek and Question:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 21:25   Link #8544
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

This wasn't meant to be revealed for spoilers, but my recent outburst in the manga thread needs explanation...

In the beginning, there was the Saint King. Until canon affixed one, she had many names. Only her Unison Defensor had a constant name, and this one is the one mentioned whenever I bring up my OC based on Saber.

A man involved with much of the Kings during the Second Founding of Belka was a baron named Karl Einfeldt. As the protagonist of the epic set during Ancient Belka times, I gave him a K-name as it is my style. He had, amongst other things, "silver-white hair, and the eyes of the lake" as his description goes in my prose. He had one regret near the end of his life. And a clone of him carries his burden in the latest Ascension War of Belka (a concept existing in my fic alone).

Who does that sound like, and even had a K-name? Yes, Klaus Ingewald.

I hit jackpot big time, so pardon the anaphylactic shock. I'm just so happy that one of my OCs turned out to be a CC. So I'm dropping Karl for Klaus in my fanon. That's the meaning of my khrack attack.

I hope this clears it up...
Old 2009-12-02, 21:50   Link #8545
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

God help us all. The insufferableness is going to go on for MONTHS.
Old 2009-12-02, 22:03   Link #8546
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

It rather sounds like replacing an OC with a CC name, but keeping all the former's characteristics and applying it to the latter, then claiming at as your own.

I maybe one of the few who don't mind (and at times even create) khrack, but this one doesn't really sit well with me. You'd be better off keeping Karl as your own character rather shoehorning your primary OC's characteristics into a CC that's one of the more important figures in Nanoha canon.

A word of advice from a friend: Try not to sound so arrogant about "Just As Planned", whether intentional or not, even if he really is a case of 7 Arcs accidentally hitting your plans right on the mark (which I would not know, though I can't discount the possibility from previous experience). I won't mind if Karl is an OC who now has similarities to a CC intentional or not, but trying to claim a CC as one's own OC reeks of arrogance to me.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 23:31   Link #8547
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

I'm gonna agree with Lowe. This doesn't sit well with me at all.

The moment Ingwald's name got revealed, the entire IRC chat cringed because we all knew this was going to happen. Now that you're pushing for this, I can't say any of us really approve of it. It could easily be "Claus" instead of "Klaus" too; this K name = Kha is reeeaally stretching your credibility thin. Are you that desperate to have an even deeper connection to the cast? And isn't Kha supposed to be dead and buried?

You're becoming like your old self again, doing little but seeking new ways to make your OC more important than the entire cast. You should be keenly aware of what this is called:

Mary-Sue-ism.
Old 2009-12-03, 01:24   Link #8548
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Eh what? I thought I was just using a CC for my fluff rather than creating an all-new OC. I thot that was a major problem, since I've had complaints that my fanon often had no anchor in canon at all.

The K name is the LEAST of my concerns. It's a laughable coincidence. My main reason for dropping an OC for a CC is simply because, there's a CC for that, why create an OC?

I'm pretty sure I'm not being arrogant. I'm just being reasonable, and reacting to prior feedback. I don't see why it comes across as arrogant when it was based off feedback.

Kha is dead, but the K-name protagonist lineage of naming hasn't. It's my trademark ever since I first started writing, and I intend to keep it. Branding if you will.

So I repeat my question, is it alright to drop an OC for a CC when both share the same niche, because canon continues to evolve? Because I'm very sure this will happen again some time...

EDIT: It appears there's a misunderstanding. I am sorry that I made it seem like Claus belongs to me; at no point did I think that I owned this CC. CCs are owned by no one but the author. I too agree, I'm just happy to be able to use a CC in my fanon rather than an OC. That's it. Sorry for making it seem otherwise...

EDIT2:

[14:47] Tempest: I read your post, and from it I felt you were saying "HAHA! I don't need Karl anymore! I can use this CC for whatever I need because it's a K-name! Just as planned!"

Just to bring it up here as well.

[14:47] Kha: it seems that everyone is hung on my first reaction which even I recognized was plain out of it.
[14:48] Kha: I can use this CC for whatever I need, because he fills the same roles!
[14:48] Kha: Not because of the name.
[14:48] Kha: It's no different from you guys using Hades (back then) for that dance fic with Kaon Noland and Olivie.

[14:49] Funya-n: no, in that case, we didn't shout out to the entire world with "ZOMG I DON'T NEED THIS NO MORE BECAUSE THIS IS JUST LIKE MY OC!"
[14:50] Funya-n: which was the impression that you were giving. in the usual khanobxious manner

[14:51] Tempest: I think it would've gone over a little easier had you not posted the explanation
[14:51] Kha: ...urgh
[14:51] Tempest: again, you talk too much.
[14:51] Kha: yes

[14:51] Tempest: you could've gone "Oh, this is interesting information. I can use this."
[14:51] Tempest: and say nothing else.
[14:52] Tempest: that would've left me going "hmm. I wonder what he's going to do with that information."
[14:52] Kha: Yes I should.
[14:52] Tempest: instead of "God dammit Kha why the hell would you do that?!"
[14:53] Kha: Bad habit. No other explanation.
[14:53] Kha: Gotta work on it
[14:53] Tempest: Calm down. That'll resolve a lot of friction
[14:53] Tempest: and keep yer trap shut when it comes to unreleased information
[14:54] Tempest: I could talk about how Claus < Olivie < Noland, since Noland killed the Kaiser... OR DID HE?
[14:54] Tempest: I dunno. That's what Gospel's about
[14:54] Tempest: and who the hell is Hades?
[14:54] Kha: Hades Ingvalt
[14:54] Tempest: ...you mein Heidi?
[14:55] Kha: the original take on Klaus Ingewald
[14:55] Kha: yes
[

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-12-03 at 01:55.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 03:08   Link #8549
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I willl get it straight and blunt. Why the desperate need to make Karlheim the DNA "descendant" of Klaus? Does he really need it to be SPESSHUL? This just hit my Suealarm, not to mention that it is basically something like, "You know that emo goth chick that is a bit of an oddball and is disliked by cheerleaders, jocks and rappers? She was actually a princess from Atlantis!" Maybe someone like Roger Zelazny would make it work, but you are not Roger Zelazny.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 03:23   Link #8550
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Having Karl be a DNA descendant is not exactly a far-fetched idea. If his genes were spread, there is always a chance someone else beside Ein might awaken. I personally would avoid it, since the whole Klaus's genes thing is Ein's personal quirk, but it's not impossible.

The main thing here is that Kha wants to drop the Karl he created and use Klaus instead. Now I see two problems with this: One is the misunderstanding we see happening here, second is that by using Klaus in his own ideas, there is a very very big chance that whatever Kha creates won't fit with Canon and gets shot to pieces. After all, I doubt this chapter is the last we've seen of him.

Kha, what you're doing right now is frighteningly close to the near-mistake I made with Keroko when Vivio's adult form was first revealed. My advice: Don't. The more you will delve into it, the less sense it will make, so drop it while it's still an early stage idea.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 03:35   Link #8551
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

...this is a completely different point from everything I've posted.

No matter, I still have to explain this.

@Sakuya:

No explanation. It's a rather bad point of contention still, and is very likely going to be dropped anyway.

But the fact remains; Karlheim shovon Touareg was named after Karl Einfeldt’s fortress-doomstar, the Karlheim. It is similar to how some people are named after famous places.

Though it would definitely change if I decide to use Klaus rather than Karl, any other link between the two men were just me playing around with twists in the fic I planned, and should be considered as non-existent unless made concrete.

Tempy is right; I talk to much. >_>

@Keroko:

I used Project Fate rather than a random process in Karlheim's creation, a twist that is hinted in Kia Ein's profile. As such, Karlheim had many dormant memories of Karl Einfeldt, the person he was cloned from. These memories would come into play as the fic I was writing before I started on ViVid. It would also be another twist, where you learn that all this about Karlheim had been planned and scripted according to Kia's plan.

Do note all this was thought of before Einhart and Klaus were even revealed.

Now, the only way Karl can remain without clashing with canon is that nothing has ever happened between Klaus and Olivie. Because already canon took away one part of my fanon as a result, what with Ein having these memories as her personal property, even though I came up with it first...

Fuck this. I had enough of it. I'll just drop it anyway. I'm officially a casualty of the Ion Canon I've long danced with. I do hope you all are happy.

And curse you, Tsuzuki. Curse you. For too long I've praised your wisdom to mask my envy.
Old 2009-12-03, 04:11   Link #8552
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

You just need to be able to graze better.

Or maybe, disregard it. You're already in AU territory, much like I am.

Since when did fanfiction have to follow canon 100%? If that was so, we wouldn't have OCs.
Old 2009-12-03, 04:26   Link #8553
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

My comments are assuming Kha is playing the same game I am, if he isn't than that's a different story.

Though part of the frustration is that most of us have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. We can't share in your joy because we have no idea what ideas of yours were just confirmed, so all that's left is confusion, and for some that leads to frustration.
Old 2009-12-03, 04:30   Link #8554
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I dunno, I kinda understood what he was trying to get at with that first explanation he was posting. That's twice now I've understood him when no one else could. I wonder if that should be worrisome.
Old 2009-12-03, 04:32   Link #8555
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

The more you know about Kha's plotline, the more confused you'll get.

The less you know, the more you can understand.

It's a strange paradox, but that's how it goes.
Old 2009-12-03, 04:42   Link #8556
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

There is no joy in this. It's just my habit of screaming something when I'm overwhelmed with emotion. Most of the time, nothing happens. Which is why I forgot what happens when it turns sour.

That's the problem. You can't understand what I'm doing, or has been confirmed, because so much is under spoiler tags.

If I can use canon concepts, I'd much rather do. If not, I'd OC based on trends I see in canon, with cliches backing me up. But when the OC is simply replicating traits of a newly-released CC, meaning that my guesswork was relatively close, even though my OC was created first, what the hell am I supposed to do?

I used to just claim oh so that OC is actually this girl!, incorporate her into the fluff and carry on. I thought that was what "dodging the Ion Canon" meant! Now it apparently means reserved exclusively by canon, meaning there's no way around it. Not even when I came up with it first.

Of course, why didn't I write it first? Well, it's an epic, epics take ages to write, and I need so much more time to bring it up to snuff. Hence why I've refrained from posting something that heavy for a while and turned to ViVid which is so much lighter.

Then canon comes and robs it from me. I thought I could just incorporate it. No, it makes people angry. I thought I could replicate it then. But no, that annoys people too. I can't even exclaim my excitement or frustration without stepping on something!

So tell me, what the fuck am I supposed to do in this situation?! All I know is that I have to have been bemoaning my sorry luck ever since CLAMP took my Cardcaptor Sakura factfic and turned it into Tsubasa Chronicles (and made it far more twisted than I ever imagined).
Old 2009-12-03, 05:11   Link #8557
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Seeing how I somewhat coined the term, 'dodging the Ion Canon' means canon introduces new stuff that doesn't contradict what you've created, and if you're lucky even supports it.

For example, I created Aspect Magic, which relies on the existence of dragons in the Nanohaverse. When Caro was introduced as a Dragon Summoner, I 'dodged the Ion Canon' because it confirmed the existence of dragons in the Nanohaverse, thereby making my magic style more credible. If dragons were called a fairy-tale in the Nanohaverse, it would have been a 'direct hit by the Ion Canon' because the very core of my magic style would have been blown to pieces.
Old 2009-12-03, 18:36   Link #8558
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I'll just write ViVid. Yay fanservice fluffy. No such pain. >_>
Old 2009-12-03, 20:08   Link #8559
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

With more changes to KoE incoming, these are the two major OCs that will replace the CC cast that is getting outphased. KoE then officially enters the "Almost pure OC-based" area, just because my writing refuses to work with the CCs.

As usual, my profiles are rough in its language and don't have much content with history... because I prefer to tell that in KoE eventually.

Spoiler for Sergey:

Spoiler for Sofya:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-03, 20:25   Link #8560
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I'll just write ViVid. Yay fanservice fluffy. No such pain. >_>
First off, breathe I understand you're very frustrated and with good reason, it seems like everything you do is ripped apart but what's going on is really more of the same. As in you're doing the same things and people are responding in the same way.

As I see it here's what happened.

Kha has idea

Canon plays out

Kha's idea can be replaced with canon Yay!

Kha seemingly gloats (Like I told you on the IRC, and Lowe said, you sound really gloating and arrogant Kha, whether you see it or not, whenever there's a vague semblance between something you've thought of and canon. )

The rest of us: Rawrg Kha is doing the same things as normal! *riptear* (It doesn't matter if that's what you did or not that's what it sounded like to a lot of us)

Kha is and everyone else is or

The problem isn't your material but your attitude. My suggestion is you forget about the uproar and write what you want to do, people are much more accepting of ideas if they see them in action. And next time something in canon can do a switcheroo with an OC or supports what you've already done, say, "Interesting" and gloat in your head.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content