AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2011-07-24, 21:18   Link #1681
Flere821
Lurker

Hey everyone, I have a question:

On a off-chance, I've got the next chapter largely written. Now I'm wondering should I wait for my usual schedule of updating every 7 days or to just post it within the next 1-2 days after I make some changes. If I do upload it, there might be a longer wait for the one after that (ie, possibly more than the usual 7 days) as it might need a bit more time than usual to finish.

So, thoughts?
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 21:22   Link #1682
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Hey everyone, I have a question:

On a off-chance, I've got the next chapter largely written. Now I'm wondering should I wait for my usual schedule of updating every 7 days or to just post it within the next 1-2 days after I make some changes. If I do upload it, there might be a longer wait for the one after that (ie, possibly more than the usual 7 days) as it might need a bit more time than usual to finish.

So, thoughts?
I've sort of experimented on this before; you should wait, give it a decent sized interval. For no other reason than to reel in as many reviews as you can squeeze out of your readers If you post them too quickly, they'll skimp out on the offerings.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 21:27   Link #1683
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I've sort of experimented on this before; you should wait, give it a decent sized interval. For no other reason than to reel in as many reviews as you can squeeze out of your readers
That would normally be the case... except I have some reviewers raging about Gunha is overpowered, Touma shouldn't be that weak, and overall my writing just sucks.
If it was 'constructive' reviews, then I would wait a few more days.

There was one even accusing me making a OC (Gunha) beat up Touma, and both Gunha & Misaki are Mary Sues. I had quite a laugh on that, guess people don't all read LNs even when it's available.

Really, I sort of felt like give them something else to flame about. The usual 'no touma should not have lost against gunha you *censored*' is getting old
Old 2011-07-24, 21:38   Link #1684
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Well, that sucks. The most complaint I've ever gotten was my horrendous grammar skills- There's a reason I barely passed my 'O' levels people !

Well if you really want to, by all means- You can also use that update to set some records straight.

...Wait, they thought Gunha was an OC?
Old 2011-07-24, 21:49   Link #1685
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Well, that sucks. The most complaint I've ever gotten was my horrendous grammar skills- There's a reason I barely passed my 'O' levels people !

Well if you really want to, by all means- You can also use that update to set some records straight.

...Wait, they thought Gunha was an OC?
Go to my profile on FFN (link here: http://www.fanfiction.net/~flere821), scroll to my stories and click on the 'reviews' word next to the title of my fic.

One guy named 'Jordan' with no account on FFN happened to be particularly foul-mouthed, haven't read the LNs and was the one saying Gunha was a OC. I laughed at how idiotic some people can be at times.
Old 2011-07-24, 22:00   Link #1686
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It's a weird feeling... To have someone 'defending' the combat capability of Touma, I'm really surprised there aren't more people creating OCs to beat him up.... But it's too bad he's an idiot- we can't have people like that in our faction; he needs to die...

...On a similar topic, I've noticed a number of people use Mikoto as the... Hmm, I can't remember the term, but basically a number of people like to beat up either Mikoto or Kuroko to show off their new strong character. While in fact in canon, this role is given to Kaori
Old 2011-07-24, 23:18   Link #1687
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
u mad bro?

:3

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 23:35   Link #1688
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Oh yeahhh~ Absolutely Furious...

>.>
Old 2011-07-24, 23:43   Link #1689
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Do I hate him...? Do I love him...? Choices, choices, choices...

Tsundere Chaos~ <3 <3 <3~

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-07-25, 00:15   Link #1690
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

“Haahh?! B-Bakka jyanai no!?! Hontou wa jibun de dekirun dakedo! H-Hmph!”

Spoiler for on that topic:
Old 2011-07-25, 01:28   Link #1691
chrono9472

Quote:

.....i'll never look at jesus the same way again.....
chrono9472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 02:13   Link #1692
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
That would normally be the case... except I have some reviewers raging about Gunha is overpowered, Touma shouldn't be that weak, and overall my writing just sucks.
If it was 'constructive' reviews, then I would wait a few more days.

There was one even accusing me making a OC (Gunha) beat up Touma, and both Gunha & Misaki are Mary Sues. I had quite a laugh on that, guess people don't all read LNs even when it's available.

Really, I sort of felt like give them something else to flame about. The usual 'no touma should not have lost against gunha you *censored*' is getting old
Don't listen to those readers who accuse you of making Gunha & Misaki into Mary Sues. I don't see anything that imply that they are are Mary Sues. All i see is a boy who is honorable yet is an idiotic hero who is just crazy awesome and a sane rich girl who is very nice yet disturbingly powerful enough to screw anyone.

I enjoy your characterization of these two in Minds, Memories, and Misfortune so keep up the good work.

Quote:
It's a weird feeling... To have someone 'defending' the combat capability of Touma, I'm really surprised there aren't more people creating OCs to beat him up.... But it's too bad he's an idiot- we can't have people like that in our faction; he needs to die...

...On a similar topic, I've noticed a number of people use Mikoto as the... Hmm, I can't remember the term, but basically a number of people like to beat up either Mikoto or Kuroko to show off their new strong character. While in fact in canon, this role is given to Kaori
I find these fics hard to believe since the only people who can beat those two are powerful Level 4s like Awaki, the Level 5s like Mugino and powerful magicians like Kaori. Except for Angel of Thunder, i don't like the idea of a fic of some no good Skill-Out can beat Mikoto and Kuroko.
Old 2011-07-25, 02:16   Link #1693
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:

Anyways, back in topic.

God, how long will my semi-rewritte of Promise still take me?

My standards are way higher than when I first wrote that ero-ero world-premiere Accelerator X Worst scene -- which, by the way, was Chaos' idea in the first place.

Well, while my eyes and finger burn for the Angriest Couple, here's something...cryptic!

...Hopefully I don't end up scrapping this project too.

...It's already doomed, isn't it...

Spoiler for ...:

Old 2011-07-25, 02:36   Link #1694
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I find these fics hard to believe since the only people who can beat those two are powerful Level 4s like Awaki, the Level 5s like Mugino and powerful magicians like Kaori. Except for Angel of Thunder, i don't like the idea of a fic of some no good Skill-Out can beat Mikoto and Kuroko.
Ah I found it- The Worf Effect. You know the whole mysterious shadowy dark figure?

In this case, the guilty party use Mikoto to show off their brand new character that is super strong. Actually it's not only that, I've noticed when there's a new threat of any kind, Mikoto would usually be used as a victim of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Don't listen to those readers who accuse you of making Gunha & Misaki into Mary Sues. I don't see anything that imply that they are are Mary Sues. All i see is a boy who is honorable yet is an idiotic hero who is just crazy awesome and a sane rich girl who is very nice yet disturbingly powerful enough to screw anyone.

I enjoy your characterization of these two in Minds, Memories, and Misfortune so keep up the good work.
Well since I'm here I might as well dig up the definition of a Sues, because I swear that term has been misused and abused far too often- WHAT THE FUDGE ?! WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SUES DEFINITIONS ?!?!
Old 2011-07-25, 03:25   Link #1695
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Ah I found it- The Worf Effect. You know the whole mysterious shadowy dark figure?

In this case, the guilty party use Mikoto to show off their brand new character that is super strong. Actually it's not only that, I've noticed when there's a new threat of any kind, Mikoto would usually be used as a victim of some sort.
Yep, which is why someone might need to put Touma in that role to even things out.

Seriously, why don't you just shoot him?

Here are my plans for any serious and competent Villain who wants to incap/kill Kamijou Touma:

Quote:
General rule: Don't use Magic or ESP Science stuff. Kamijou is like Uwe Boll -- the more shit you throw at him, the more powerful he becomes.

Plan A-

1. Train in martial arts in a monk sanctuary in Tibet or something.

2. Train your own mooks in martial arts.

3. Team up together and murder him!

Plan B-

1. Two words: Carbon. Monoxyde.

2. CARBON MONOXYDE!

3. Seriously, pump it in while he's sleeping. He won't even know what hit him.

Plan C-

1. Get a belt-fed gun.

2. Get ammo belts.

3. Watch the Rambo movies back-to-back.

4. Aim in his general direction until he drops to the ground.

5. Shoot an entire clip in his head.

6. TEABAG HIM!

Old 2011-07-25, 03:31   Link #1696
Drifting Wolf

Frankly speaking, if there's a character they don't like or if the author even makes a slight deviation from canon mechanics, you have people calling them sues and god mode sues and what not just to satisfy themselves.

I mean, what gives, it's a fanfiction. People should take some liberties unless they have a strict code they adhere to or something. It makes the story more interesting rather than the same old rehash and battles.

Like, for 'Of Science and Magics", stormwolfex said that he prefers to adhere to the canon mechanics and since he violated it, he actually rewrote the last part since that's the way he does things. I'm cool with that.

And in 'Minds of Memories', Flere821 took some liberties with what Gunha could do with his 'AIM Warping' or something like that. It still fits the scope of his power, though I thought he would have preferred keeping it up close and personal like MEN.

But it was cool. ^^

People should learn to take things with a pinch of salt, in my opinion.

But, as a reader to all you readers... how many of you would prefer the story to be more 'Original Flavour' rather than taking 'Broad Strokes' from canon?
Drifting Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 03:47   Link #1697
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Yep, which is why someone might need to put Touma in that role to even things out.
There's no point in doing that because it won't establish how cool and awesome your new character is since Touma is a weak hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Wolf View Post
Frankly speaking, if there's a character they don't like or if the author even makes a slight deviation from canon mechanics, you have people calling them sues and god mode sues and what not just to satisfy themselves.
After a glance at the list of Sues, I'm almost certain anybody that does anything good and meaningful is liable to be labeled a Sue.

Everyone must have a dark side! Everyone must do one bad thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
But, as a reader to all you readers... how many of you would prefer the story to be more 'Original Flavour' rather than taking 'Broad Strokes' from canon?
Simply put, if I wanted an AU with the cast of the series completely westernized and in high school (I'm look at you Digimon, Teen Titans, Naruto, Shaman King, Fatal Frame, Eva, DOA, Ranma, Inuyasha, Guilty Gear etc), I wouldn't be in this business. To me, the fanfictions are suppose to tell the stories that the author can't tell by exploring concepts that he can't use so freely. My single most important thing is to keep the character's personalities.

With that, you can throw them into your own brand of crazy; whether it's being trapped in a haunted village, fighting an army of replica soldiers, planning a Christmas party, or just an endless erotic hell.

And yes of course, following the mechanics of the Universe, but I can understand for a complex world like Index, not everybody can get it right or even get the full details.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:59   Link #1698
Tsukino Kage Spectre
Enraged and Suicidal

Let me just assure everyone that the files described in the following are for my own use only, I have not sold it to make money or used it except to read. I have a copy of both the rewritten file and the original chp 12 in my hdd. If the author doesn't object, I can mail it to you.
Old 2011-07-25, 09:04   Link #1699
Ashaman

Quote:
That would normally be the case... except I have some reviewers raging about Gunha is overpowered, Touma shouldn't be that weak.
I'm not going to lie. I think they have a small point about Gunha being OverPowered, but not to the extent that they seem to think.

I think you had the right idea with the negation taking a few extra seconds, but I think you went too far with the Meteor Smash. I think it would have been more believable if Touma had been driven to his knees under the pressure before MS was finally negated.

The way you wrote it puts it on the same class as Angelic attacks.... and I don't think Gunha is that strong.

Well, to each their own, I guess.
Old 2011-07-25, 09:37   Link #1700
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
... Looks like some people need a pointing out job be done for them.

We all know Gunha is a canonically existing character in the Index universe.

I also don't see how Gunha is overpowered, because if that's so then those people have yet to know how Ollerus is. And I wonder how many of them know that this is yet another canonically existing character we're talking about here, if they can't even recognize Gunha...

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction