Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-12-22, 08:12   Link #321
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Yup, but rights activists folks will probably completely miss that point.
If Finn saves her once legitly instead of grabbing her hand and running again. The right activists will lose their sheeet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxulous View Post

Rey is a touch too perfect, but she's far from bland. Finn's a breath of fresh air, Poe and BB-8 a blast too. Harrison brought his A-game humor as did the stormtroopers. Kylo Ren is deceptively trite but has a lot of depth.
Agree'd she seems to be taking a faster and lazier route to being a powerful jedi. I shrugged at most of her scenes, it was Finn and Po that I liked. They weren't just gender swapped repeats like Rey seems to be going. Han and Finn had great chemistry too. They seemed like almost a human/human Chewy friendship. Hopefully instead of romance we get a Bromance.
Old 2015-12-22, 19:36   Link #322
lovetospoon73

well at least disney didn't make it a MUSICAL
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-22, 21:16   Link #323
Chosen_Hero

Just saw the movie... loved it, my only problwm with the movie has to be Rey being too much of a perfect "Mary Sue",
Spoiler for Rey's development:

If there is any character that is my favorite it would have to be Finn since he was the one I connected with the most (he was pretty badass fighting Kylo Ren) alos loved all the parallels you can make between him and Kylo Ren, sadly I feel like they just used him mostly as comic relief, hopefully they build up in his and Kylo Ren's parallels and give him more of a central storyline.

Po was just badass in his X-Wing 'nough said and Han and Chewie... the feels, oh god the feels.
Old 2015-12-22, 22:26   Link #324
monster

Spoiler for Speaking of Rey:
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-22, 23:11   Link #325
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Watched it last night, wasn't as great as I was expecting. Was hoping for some epic battle scenes...especially lightsaber ones but meh...Still an OKAY watch though. Am I the only that finds the character Rey (or actor) annoying?

Spoiler for Rey spoiler:

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-23, 01:30   Link #326
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

He was injured and had poor mental stability though.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-23, 02:49   Link #327
Helius

I thought the film was somewhere between poor and 'just okay'. As much as I had high hopes for a good new Star Wars film, knowing it was JJ Abrams at the helm I went in prepared, and it pretty much went how I expected - flashes and bangs, mediocre most of the time and nothing particularly awe inspiring, as expected of anything directed by Abrams.

Without spoiling anything, the biggest takeaway for me would be the surprisingly good performance from Rey as this sort of ditzy, resourceful and assertive character.

'Finn the comic' was fun to watch, but I cringed at how forced some of his motivations were, and it wasn't just Finn. That goes for a lot of things in this film and many of Abrams' other films. Everything is so in your face it soon becomes a sigh-fest.

Han, Leia and Chewie were okay, nothing particularly noteworthy really. Kylo Ren was such a lame villain or character even, with his anger issues... at least I chuckled at the bit with the 2 stormtroopers

BB-8 was very adorable and fun to watch indeed. It/he is definitely my favourite character in this film along with Rey.

All in all, the film was just 'meh', in large part due to the plot (or the lack thereof) and the direction. As if I haven't made my point already, Abrams' involvement was why I couldn't even care to be disappointed in the first place, no matter how much I love Star Wars.

Although I was disappointed by John Williams' score this time around. Rey's theme was good, but that was it. The rest was just background noise throughout.

Still, while Rian Johnson doesn't have as colourful a repertoire as Abrams', I'm hopeful that Episode VIII will be better.

The last scene... Urgh. Dramatic effect fail.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-23, 04:56   Link #328
Chosen_Hero

How do you know that the arguements defending Rey's Mary Sueness is inherntly flawed? When everyone that hated both the prequels and Anakin now use him as an excuse as to why she is a Sue.
Old 2015-12-23, 06:17   Link #329
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Still, while Rian Johnson doesn't have as colourful a repertoire as Abrams', I'm hopeful that Episode VIII will be better.

The last scene... Urgh. Dramatic effect fail.
He did one the best episodes of Breaking Bad, "Ozymandias" so that alone is enough reason to get hyped.
Old 2015-12-23, 16:24   Link #330
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Spoiler for Speaking of Rey:
Because I think they are trying to push her as what his name tried to Push lightning. By making her stronger than Luke(cloud) and a great pilot like Han.

Also, why can she speak wookie? she's likely never seen one so why would she be able to understand him?
Old 2015-12-23, 16:31   Link #331
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Because I think they are trying to push her as what his name tried to Push lightning. By making her stronger than Luke(cloud) and a great pilot like Han.
Even if that's indeed the case, I don't think that has anything to do with a hug.
Quote:
Also, why can she speak wookie? she's likely never seen one so why would she be able to understand him?
Who? Rey? I didn't realize.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-23, 22:15   Link #332
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

So Lucas sounds Eccentric. Sometimes his ideas and help are good, other time's it isn't.
Old 2015-12-24, 01:25   Link #333
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I saw it an opening day and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I went into it with pretty low expectations because, well, J.J. Abrahms (whose directing style I dislike), and wasn't disappointed exactly just bored. There was something about it that just didn't grab me.

There was a startling lack of character development in my opinion. I realize it's only the first in a new trilogy so I wasn't expecting some grand character development, but there should have been something. Maybe I just missed it due to the embarrassing attempts at "humor."

The music was fine. There were some stellar tracks, but that's unsurprising considering it was composed by John Williams. I particularly liked the track "Rey's Theme" and "The Starkiller." It's not a soundtrack I'm dying to own though.

Overall, though, I was just bored. I found myself looking at my phone several times during it wondering when it was going to end. One of the people I went with who is a Star Wars fan actually, I kid you not, nodded off twice during the movie.

I think the next movie will be better though. Now that they've established the characters— and culled those who seemed to only be in it for the paycheck—the writer(s) of the next installment can hopefully work on the development aspect.
Old 2015-12-24, 04:05   Link #334
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I doubt this would be true, but wouldn't be interesting if Rey had her mind reprogrammed like Revan?
Old 2015-12-24, 04:13   Link #335
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Well to break the combo here... I went into this also with low expectations and I was very pleasently suprised how good it felt watching he movie.

Yes, I agree, it had a lot of flaws. The story was nothing noteworthy, Rey's "awakening" felt too rushed, Kylo could have been done with a little less ;_; (but I admit, I liked some of his more funny parts) and Williams didn't produce a single theme that stuck in my head.

The visuals and sound were very impressive. I really loved what they did with all those models, costumes and sets (why had Snoke to be a CG character? I was hoping to see Serkis with some make-up )

Character wise, I liked them. Rey had too much Sue levels.... but Kirito was worse in my eyes, so it was nothing i would condamn and she showed enough wonder and joy in cetain situations that made her likable. Finn was great, as was Poe. 88 was cute, The old Heroes were like I remembered them, Kylo was okay... he managed to look a lot more conflicted than Anakin back then, he wasn't as annoying as I feared he would become.

I guess my biggest beef was with some of the German translations (I totaly didn't understand what they were talking about in the "Two times" scene, a friend of mine who saw the movie in english already told me later they fucked up the translation), and a few dubbing things. (Gosh, C3-PO sounded OLD!)

Anyway... I'm eager to see what the next movies will be. So I'm in.
Old 2015-12-24, 16:24   Link #336
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, that was entertaining. A handful of instant WTFs during the movies, and a few more complaints on the way from the cinema, but I wasn't bored.

My impression: that movie was the bastard child of all six other Star Wars movies, but with a definite "modern" (2010s) flair. Poe, for example, had a lot of Star-Lord in him. (Though I suppose it's not unfair to say Peter Quill had a lot of Han Solo in him...)

And I don't know about his power, but Kylo really inherited his grandfather's intensely slappable face. In a way, it made me appreciate the prequel trilogy more. Misguided as he was, you could at least see why he was angry. What was Kylo's deal?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-24, 20:36   Link #337
Chosen_Hero

^He was stuck in between the light and dark sides of the force and couldn't fully immerse himself in either one and he did what he did to fully embrace the dark side by casting aside anything that could be used to distract him and possibly change him back.

If course we still have two more movies were we will get a better look at what made him choose the dark side in the end and betray his loved ones.

I personally liked that he was very identical to Anakin, it showed how the past can repeat itself and that not everyone will always choose the path they are given at birth.
Old 2015-12-24, 20:54   Link #338
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Better start worshipping the ground little-miss Mary-Sue-perfect... Uh, I mean Rey walks on, folks; or the feminists and social justice warriors will be eating your children for breakfast!

Finn Forever!
Old 2015-12-25, 05:03   Link #339
Chosen_Hero

^Finn was my favorite character, hopefully they don't keep him as the comedy relief character (the comedy was good just hope they don't get too carried away with it), he has the most interesting back story of all the new characters, especially with him being an Ex-Stormtrooper. Heck, some people around the internet want him to become a vounty hunter like Bobba Fett... without the whole falling into a sarlacc pit deal.

Was I the only one pleasantly surprised that the new Stormtroopers are actually competent and (dare I say it?) badass?
Old 2015-12-25, 05:45   Link #340
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
^He was stuck in between the light and dark sides of the force and couldn't fully immerse himself in either one and he did what he did to fully embrace the dark side by casting aside anything that could be used to distract him and possibly change him back.

If course we still have two more movies were we will get a better look at what made him choose the dark side in the end and betray his loved ones.

I personally liked that he was very identical to Anakin, it showed how the past can repeat itself and that not everyone will always choose the path they are given at birth.
Anakin was a slave, taken from his mother, who was then killed.

So, again, what was Kylo's deal? He obviously had loving parents (willing to forgive the whole mass murdering he's been indulging in). Why turn to the dark side at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
^Finn was my favorite character, hopefully they don't keep him as the comedy relief character (the comedy was good just hope they don't get too carried away with it), he has the most interesting back story of all the new characters, especially with him being an Ex-Stormtrooper. Heck, some people around the internet want him to become a vounty hunter like Bobba Fett... without the whole falling into a sarlacc pit deal.

Was I the only one pleasantly surprised that the new Stormtroopers are actually competent and (dare I say it?) badass?
The brainwashing kinda sucks, though.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote