AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2020-03-08, 23:43   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

"Allies" turn out to be the Big Bad

Simple concept, not seen often if at all but real interesting. I'm curious if there are any series out there where the main villain is unknown for a while and it turns out that one of the heroes' main allies, or better yet a member of the hero's own party, is that main villain. Closest I can think of is SAO season 1, in which a character who's close and certainly believed to be an ally turns out to be the villain, and a single chapter dream sequence in Nagatoro-San, in which the hero dreams of a fantasy adventure where he travels with a cat-ear version of Nagatoro training to defeat the demon king until they finally go to the castle and find it empty; the hero thinks "the demon king's gone" only for Nagatoro to transform into the demon QUEEN and start torturing him. (BTW why the heck isn't there a thread for this manga!?)

I've heard of it happening in other media besides anime, manga and LN, like a video game in which you spend a great deal of your time following the guidance of your sensei and helping him until finally he expresses his joy that you remembered all his teachings, including the flaws and suddenly reveals he'd actually just used you to clear the way for his rise to power. Don't know the game and obviously haven't played it, but it's a good example all the same.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-09, 05:39   Link #2
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Coz Nagatoro is flatchest
Her friends are better

Regarding the question, of course : Watchmen
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-09, 09:42   Link #3
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Air Gear did this, and it really tore the MC up. Magi halfway did it before walking it back.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-09, 10:15   Link #4
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Coz Nagatoro is flatchest
Her friends are better

Regarding the question, of course : Watchmen
Is Watchmen a manga? I thought it was an American graphic novel. Some might not make a distinction but I do.

And are you saying people didn't make a thread because the heroine's a little flat?
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-09, 16:26   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Blue Dragon anime. Of course, this happened in the last arc.
Old 2020-03-09, 18:01   Link #6
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

I can think of an anime where the thing everyone fights over turns out to be evil
Spoiler for :

Or an anime where the protagonist does what the big bad was supposed to do
Spoiler for :

I can also think of an anime where a group of friends hide their true identities from each other for various reasons and one of them kinda comes close to being a bit bad, somewhat.
Spoiler for :

Or anime where some of the characters that were supposed to be allies turn out to be traitors, but not really.
Spoiler for :

I guess the main reason why I can't think of anything fitting the criteria is because anime don't really do the whole big bad shtick. Some shows for children do it, like Conan and I'm pretty sure eventually it will turn out that the big bad was some ally all along. You just gotta wait a few decades more for the reveal.