Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-21, 21:09   Link #27841
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Officials: At least 185 killed in Nigeria attack
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-21-21-05-35
Quote:
BAGA, Nigeria (AP) -- Fighting between Nigeria's military and Islamic extremists killed at least 185 people in a fishing community in the nation's far northeast, officials said Sunday, an attack that saw insurgents fire rocket-propelled grenades and soldiers spray machine-gun fire into neighborhoods filled with civilians.
Old 2013-04-21, 21:10   Link #27842
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Protests continue in India over rape of child

Quote:
Hundreds of people have protested for the second day outside government buildings and residences of top politicians in India's capital, New Delhi, angry at the conduct of police dealing with the kidnapping and rape of a five-year-old girl.

About 100 protesters, many of whom were members of the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party, faced off with the police on Sunday as they gathered outside Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's residence and near the house of Sonia Gandhi, leader of the ruling Congress Party.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2...524381893.html

Old 2013-04-21, 21:15   Link #27843
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am actually rather surprised. You are saying you didn't have highschool education relating to old local languages before?

I am just used to the mainstream Asian countries all having old literature as a part of the curriculum as a matter of course. You are saying people in Turkey weren't taught old Turkish?
Modern Turkish is, like, imagine english being purged of most its Latin/Greek loanwords. Thank Kemal for that.
Old 2013-04-21, 21:21   Link #27844
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Officials: At least 185 killed in Nigeria attack
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-21-21-05-35
Damn, and I'm sure the people of that village don't care for either side and just want to live their lives in peace.
Old 2013-04-21, 21:46   Link #27845
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post

Hell, I would love HD recording of all lectures... it will make reviewing so much easier. Everyone have had those morning in which they are still half asleep and just cannot understand what is going on, yes?
I've had one morning where I was falling asleep while taking notes, so I'd doze off for a few seconds, wake up and see my notes turn into gibberish because my hand kept moving
Old 2013-04-21, 22:42   Link #27846
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
I've had one morning where I was falling asleep while taking notes, so I'd doze off for a few seconds, wake up and see my notes turn into gibberish because my hand kept moving
That reminds me of something very bad. Once I was driving early in the morning and I was very tired and had a hard time keeping my eyes open. At one point, I was coming to a bend in the road, and my eyes shut and they stayed shut for a few seconds (I was really fighting falling asleep), and then my eyes opened up and I had driven through the bend and to the point where the road straightened out again. I somehow drove that bend without paying attention to it.
Old 2013-04-22, 08:45   Link #27847
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Analysis: BP's legal gamble may trim spill bill by billions
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93L04O20130422

Frustration rises from rubble of China's deadly quake
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93L0CS20130422
Old 2013-04-22, 09:34   Link #27848
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Analysis: BP's legal gamble may trim spill bill by billions
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93L04O20130422

What the hell? How are people being so shitty to them? I would helped in what ever way I could. This is some sickening behavior.
Old 2013-04-22, 15:08   Link #27849
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I can one up you on that one: In college I once fell half asleep and when I woke up noticed that I had written stuff on the notebook that hadn't been mentioned by the teacher... yet.

I kid you not, It was mostly correct. It was a math class so I guess I just connected some dots with knowledge from other classes I had taken before and reached a more-or-less correct result... while half-sleeping.

Sadly I couldn't reproduce that during exams.
Old 2013-04-22, 17:51   Link #27850
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I can one up you on that one: In college I once fell half asleep and when I woke up noticed that I had written stuff on the notebook that hadn't been mentioned by the teacher... yet.

I kid you not, It was mostly correct. It was a math class so I guess I just connected some dots with knowledge from other classes I had taken before and reached a more-or-less correct result... while half-sleeping.

Sadly I couldn't reproduce that during exams.
sleepception? :P
Old 2013-04-22, 19:12   Link #27851
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Canada thwarts "al Qaeda-supported" passenger train plot
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93L0YW20130422

In Paraguay, a rich conservative must tackle poverty
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93L14F20130422
Old 2013-04-22, 20:54   Link #27852
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

More bad news for student loan borrowers

Quote:
FORTUNE – Graduation season is upon us. It used to be that in the years after hopeful twentysomethings bid farewell to campus life, they'd start borrowing to buy many things typically associated with adulthood -- namely, a car and a home. Many had college loans to repay, but that's partly what made brainy go-getters so attractive to banks and lenders. They typically earn more over a lifetime, so they seemed like a safe bet.
They may still be, but times have changed. College debt may have once been the good kind of debt, but the scale has grown so big that in many cases it has become more burdensome than helpful.
http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2013/...ebt-borrowing/

Old 2013-04-22, 21:56   Link #27853
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUX
Why weren't Watertown residents told to get their guns?

By Dr. Keith Ablow
Published April 22, 2013
FoxNews.com
Quote:
Before the capture of Dzhokar Tsarnaev, with the heroic police manhunt for him in full swing in Watertown, Massachusetts, Governor Deval Patrick and public safety officials admonished residents there and in surrounding communities to stay inside, lock their doors and answer only for uniformed police officers.
Quote:
One piece of information, for example, was left out of every press conference that took place in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings: If you have a licensed firearm, make sure it is within reach, that it is loaded and that your family members are nearby.
The reason that residents of Watertown and Boston were not told to keep their guns close by is only because of the liberal political tide that seeks to take guns out to sea with it.

This directive, in my opinion, would have been a proper public safety message and public health initiative to safeguard many homes in Watertown and the metro-Boston area.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...et-their-guns/

Yea, good question FAUX NEWS. And here are my answers to that question:

1. People are told to remain in their houses to get out of the way. The proper authorities are doing their job.

2. It is not technically the job of the citizen to hunt down criminals, even if said criminal is a terrorist. Law enforcement is the authorized personnel for this task.

3. If an individual is inside a house with a gun pointed outside, that person is at risk of being hurt -- because they may make themselves appear as the suspect, whom law enforcement is looking for. This mistaken identity may prove to be fatal.

4. The average citizen is plainly not trained to handle this type of situation professionally.

5. The primary task is to apprehend criminals for due process of the law, unless the situation warrants killing the suspect.

6. Law enforcement is actually trustworthy, when they're doing their job, as it is their job to provide public service -- NOT to oppress the public.

For an author with the word "Dr." behind his name, this was one stupid question.
Old 2013-04-22, 22:06   Link #27854
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
For an author with the word "Dr." behind his name, this was one stupid question.
It's to be expected from a psychiatrist who resigned from the American Psychiatric Association due to unethical practices (for instance, announcing psychiatric assessments of celebrities he'd never examined).
Old 2013-04-22, 23:36   Link #27855
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
It is hard to be surprised of all the crap that Reuters spew out nowadays thanks to your diligent work, but I must admit that they have exceed my expectations.

As for the relief work, roads and communication have been reopened to most of the cities. People have to live outside for a lot longer, tents and other supplies are in need. Other than that, the most dire times have passed. Death toll has stationed at a couple of hundreds with thousands injured. A lot more work needs to be done, but it takes time to heel.

Edit: here is a map of one of the towns suffered the earthquake. It is on the bank of a river in a valley between two huge mountains. Generally, there is only one road through the city connecting it to the outside world, and multiple land slides cut off the connection.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2013-04-23 at 05:22.
Old 2013-04-23, 01:36   Link #27856
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
That happens. It's so weird. And when I look at what I wrote, I really had no idea what I wrote.
Though one time, I ended up writing something I could read but was completely unrelated to the class. I can't recall, but I think it had something to do with Harry Potter...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2013-04-23, 03:45   Link #27857
Domonkazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
The Boston Bombers.

I don't see Muslims. I see white kids. So, surprise, surprise. White people can be terrorists too. So, in this case, lay off the Muslims for once.
I don't know about you, but for me they look more like Turkish or Persian but definitely not Caucasian.
Old 2013-04-23, 04:42   Link #27858
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
I don't know about you, but for me they look more like Turkish or Persian but definitely not Caucasian.
Chechens are definitely Caucasians
Old 2013-04-23, 04:59   Link #27859
Domonkazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Chechens are definitely Caucasians
well I guess, you never see a turkish, iranian, or syrian people in real life, some of them has pale skin and look like caucasian (pres Assad has blue eyes cmiiw), but you can easily tell the different between them and the germanic archtype.
Old 2013-04-23, 05:08   Link #27860
Ridwan

Race is not a sure thing to begin with. Those middle-easterners look similar to Italians and Greeks anyway (I know that some people do discount them from white-dom for several reasons). Turks are literally Persianized Greeks speaking Turkic language.

Also, I'm part Arab myself, and have had met (part-)Iranian in person at least.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international