AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-15, 01:03   Link #21
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I definitely want to see this at the earliest opportunity. Something tells me this is going to be an important film years down the road.
yes your definitely right, I really can't name a scifi movie that tackled many of interesting issues that this movie did while still being fucking awesome. But yea will be writing something more though provoking in the morning as right now I don't think I could coherently describe how awesome this movie is. Mebbe Avatar might be the only really challenger, but this movie gives me hope that they might actually be able to do a dune movie that serves that universe justice.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 01:16   Link #22
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
yes your definitely right, I really can't name a scifi movie that tackled many of interesting issues that this movie did while still being fucking awesome.
I think thats why this movie has captivated me so much, it's ability to blend thought provoking issues with an adreneline rush. Thats something I've rarely seen movies pull off.

The action had me cheering, but I always felt that disturbance in the back of my mind with what was unfolding throughout the course of the film; and towards the end I actually started getting goosebumps (due to sheer anxiety about what would happen). It tackles many ideas/concepts and does it well.

Basically District 9 delivers it's intentions in an exciting way.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 10:48   Link #23
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I've got to say, the movie was amazing.

The character development was great; sure it uses a frequently used trope, as common joe becomes important guy, but Wikus really develops in a truly believable way.

I was surprised at its 30 million budget, for 30 million; they did an amazing job.

And alien weapons are amazing.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 14:00   Link #24
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Agree. The movie is quite an original (to me at least) also very interesting. Love the director's works, the character development, and the sort of moral lessons but not so cheesy behind the plot.

The way the movie was directed doesn't make audiences think "wow, it's a good movie" but rather "wow, what's a piece of art that i've just experienced"
Old 2009-08-15, 15:07   Link #25
james0246

Definitely a good and interesting film, even if it had a fairly simplistic storyline. The blending of CG and real life was quite beautifully done, and the presentation of such important issues did not come across too heavy-handed (which the short film suffered from greatly), and felt far more personal than I expected. Overall, a very strong feature, well worth a second viewing (in theatres, and later on DVD/etc). Strong 7.7 out of 10.0.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-15 at 18:48. Reason: "digested" the film a little more...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 16:03   Link #26
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Looks interesting, and I'll probably give this movie a shot in its due time. However, I get the impression this is very much like something we've already seen and been through before. In terms of Sci-fi, I'm much more interested in watching "Moon"
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 09:59   Link #27
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Definitely a good and interesting film, even if it had a fairly simplistic storyline. The blending of CG and real life was quite beautifully done, and the presentation of such important issues did not come across too heavy-handed (which the short film suffered from greatly), and felt far more personal than I expected. Overall, a very strong feature, well worth a second viewing (in theatres, and later on DVD/etc). Strong 7.7 out of 10.0.
i loved the movie and hated the humans that did all that shit to the aliens. my favorite part was when
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2009-08-16, 13:02   Link #28
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
That part was awesome. Me and my friend both muttered "Half Life" right when that happened.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 15:35   Link #29
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow I really thought this was a pretty amazing film. Surprised by the budget they had since they really used it well. I really had no idea this movie was coming until last week, but glad I decided to check it out.

Spoiler:
Either way this was definitely a great movie.
Old 2009-08-17, 00:00   Link #30
Nerroth
NePoi!

Hard to know what to say about it, really.

Well, except that I want a sequel.
Old 2009-08-17, 05:50   Link #31
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Spoiler for ...:
Old 2009-08-17, 17:17   Link #32
Dreamtale
Recursion...

Not bad! But Jackson simply cant make sorrow shit after all Not a masterpiece but worth to watch one or two times...
Dreamtale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 17:28   Link #33
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
i loved the movie and hated the humans that did all that shit to the aliens.
whole point it of why it was set in south africa, humans where doing this
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 07:23   Link #34
Lil' Wayne

Loved the movie. However...

The slum imagery was a little too heavy-handed. I understand the morals and the motifs and the themes, believe me. But if it was a little less melodramatic and not so in-your-face, those same ideas would definitely come across the same way but a lot less harshly.

For example,
Spoiler for district nine:

So, it's good, very good, and I'm more than happy that Halo was canned for this, but there is definitely some melodrama that overflowed. But believe me, I understand this is a movie about aliens and I definitely know there's going to be some in-your-face stuff. But again, that's really the only critique I could think of. It's a really great film.

And up until the whole hoohah about "omg i fire wepons lol" it's a very thought provoking movie.
Lil' Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 08:55   Link #35
arias

I watched it today and it was absolutely awesome The humanizing of the prawns were amazing, and the setup for a sequel was even more delightful.

As a guy, I was particularly fascinated by the weaponry and ; ) That THING..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 20:21   Link #36
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Just got back from the movie theaters, and saw this movie I have to say that it was a great movie, and quite different from the rest. I liked how in the end he helped the aliens go back home.

I also have to think to my self, was it really a good idea to help them go home? According to the alien he will come back in three years with the rest of his people. But will they come back in friendly terms to rescue their people? Or will they come back for revenge? And how will the people in earth handle a second coming of the aliens?

That guy might have just doomed man kind without even knowing about it?
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 20:32   Link #37
james0246

^This iteration of humanity deserves punishment...or at least the majority, that approved of the MWU, deserve punishment.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 20:48   Link #38
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^This iteration of humanity deserves punishment...or at least the majority, that approved of the MWU, deserve punishment.
I certainly disagree with what MWU was doing to the aliens, they were treated like trash. All of this was because the higher ups were greedy and wanted to use the alien technology for their benefit. In order to create better weapons and also in order to create stronger soldiers. Thankfully they weren't able to obtain the DNA from that guy, because that would have bring pain to many human beings, because it's obvious that they were going to test it on live human beings.

But you also have to think about the consequences of your actions, honestly the guy was put on a tight spot and he decided to help them, I'm not saying it was the wrong decision, but his decision could have brought up dire consequences for the rest of man kind.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 23:02   Link #39
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

at the end

Spoiler for ending:
Old 2009-08-29, 11:09   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySoldier37 View Post
I certainly disagree with what MWU was doing to the aliens, they were treated like trash. All of this was because the higher ups were greedy and wanted to use the alien technology for their benefit. In order to create better weapons and also in order to create stronger soldiers. Thankfully they weren't able to obtain the DNA from that guy, because that would have bring pain to many human beings, because it's obvious that they were going to test it on live human beings.

But you also have to think about the consequences of your actions, honestly the guy was put on a tight spot and he decided to help them, I'm not saying it was the wrong decision, but his decision could have brought up dire consequences for the rest of man kind.
I thought about that at the end a litle myself. Though I could understand him a little. I mean it's a little hard to care about the future of the human race when it hasn't done much for you recently. Even though a violent response could lead to serious consequences for many more than just the people in that immediate area. Though I'm not sure the human race would be necessarily doomed if it did turn violent. The weapons for the aliens was pretty spectacular but it's not like they were immune to human weapons either.

But yeah I wonder about the results of his actions at the end there. Guess all you can do is try to think on the bright side. That they will come back pick up the people and then leave again. Marking off the Earth as a place no one wants to visit .