AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-29, 23:40   Link #381
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think what we have here may be some prejudice. Most of the critical arguments have a tone to them that sounds like the people making them had no intention of even trying to like the series.

Seriously, sometimes you just have to suspend your disbelief in order to enjoy a series, and knowing how Shoji Kawamori is famous for pairing Fantasy and Mecha, this should be a requirement before even attempting to watch something as fantastical as Macross.

Me, I enjoyed it very much. I watched it with a friend on his new High Def monitor to get the full effect, and had a lot of fun. Alto seems like he could be an interesting character, and I expected to hate Ranka as some sort of cutesy Moeblob, but I find her to somehow be quite charming. I think it was the Nyan Nyan song that sold the character for me just a really ditzy girl. She kind of reminds me of Noriko from Gunbuster a little bit.

Sheryl Nome is also a pretty interesting character. To me she represents the emptiness of the current pop-idol establishment. Clearly a spoiled princess from the moment we see her moaning and groaning on the plain, and one who is only concerned with her own well being when the unknown bug like enemies attack. In fact she's shows such a phony put on personality (like most idols) that even her stage clothing is merely a shallow and empty hologram. Her music is also quite hollow as well, right down to trying to steal Basara's famous intro line, but delivering it in a cold and empty manner. Anima Spiritia does not shine with this idol. I'm interested though to see where they go with her character.

Ozma Lee is our new Skull Leader and right now is just an all out badass, but surely he has a part to play that is unless he's somehow dead in that ClusterF$@^ of a combat sequence that was unlike any I'd ever seen before.

And it wouldn't be right if I didn't talk about the animation quality of the first episode. Let me be honest when I say I have never in my life seen any anime series with such a dazzling feast for the eyes. So much is happening on the screen at one time in some shots, that I have to wonder just how long this episode has been in production. It looks painstacking though, the amount of detail applied to most shots, and I'm led to wonder if Macross Frontier Episode 01 is the reason that Gundam 00 and Clannad went on hiatus, because next to it, those two admittedly top quality series look like almost Yashigani and Macross Frontier now seemingly has all the buzz both on 2ch and in the western communities. It almost seems unfair.

Obviously everyone who has watched knows what we have to look forward to in the coming episodes so I'll just leave my commentary where it is and say that I have to give this episode a solid Ten out of Ten rating. Interesting Characters, a promising plotline, great music, unmentionable animation and a deep respect for the legacy of the Macross universe shown throughout make it well earned.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 00:26   Link #382
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnEptUne View Post
Anyway, nothing to see in this series. Too flashy, too pretentious. Maybe it is just my bias against American movies and anythings that copy from them.

Why don't you just leave?

back to topic, where did you guys get the info on the VF 171 bit? they look more like VF 17's to me? and isn't the VF 171 designation a bit weird considering the traditional naming scheme? i would've expected a VF-17B or something

and is it me or does Miboshi High school look like the two SDF1 Macross cannons ;o

Spoiler for SDF1:

Last edited by Tsukiyomi; 2007-12-30 at 00:55.
Tsukiyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 01:28   Link #383
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Me, I enjoyed it very much. I watched it with a friend on his new High Def monitor to get the full effect, and had a lot of fun. Alto seems like he could be an interesting character, and I expected to hate Ranka as some sort of cutesy Moeblob, but I find her to somehow be quite charming. I think it was the Nyan Nyan song that sold the character for me just a really ditzy girl. She kind of reminds me of Noriko from Gunbuster a little bit.
Her spunk just seemed so natural and genuine, and avoided any sort of moe or tsundere cliches. At least for me it did. And I thought that there was a real chemistry between her and Alto, who seems endearingly awkward around her--his various apologies, for example, about being too blunt with her, which he certainly wouldn't do with his guy friends.

I for one also liked the lack of gratuitous fanservice; the female characters have plausible figures, and the first scene that showed off Ranka's legs in that qipao was very tastefully done. I found that far hotter than, since Gundam 00's come up earlier, the scene where Sumeragi and her two underlings were in revealing bathing suits. It's nice to see an anime be subtle with its sex appeal. Even the outright fanservice with Sheryl was completely plausible in plot terms, due to the context. I'm amused how Alto seemed completely oblivious to her, and is fixated on Ranka.

I really see a lot of promise in this series, both in terms of the action, but also of the characters.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 04:54   Link #384
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnEptUne View Post
Wasn't she well trained?
I think dahak is talking about how much time-in-type Miria had on the VF-1 series, not her training as a combat pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
back to topic, where did you guys get the info on the VF 171 bit? they look more like VF 17's to me?
Aside from any other sources, "VF-171" is stenciled on the side of each Valkyrie - you can see it most clearly on the recon variant that gets destroyed early on.

Last edited by Guppy; 2007-12-30 at 05:11.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 05:34   Link #385
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I thought it was a good start for the series. Honestly wasn't all that familiar with all that proceeds it so could take it on pretty fresh. Seems like it will be an interesting series when it gets to continue on.

Really did just like Ranka's character. Just seemed like a pure character I guess is one way of saying it. Someone with some spunk that I'll look forward to seeing more of.
Old 2007-12-30, 06:03   Link #386
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

It's better to give Macross Frontier a few more episodes before starting a poo flinging fest between the gundam fans and macross fans. Plenty of series have started with a bang and ended up with a dud and vice versa.

But one thing for sure, 2008 is gonna be a fat year for mecha fans with Gundam 00 running, Macross Frontier and Code Geass S2 scheduled.

Ranka kinda reeks Minmay to me >.>, never liked her in Macross so i doubt i ll like Ranka at all.
Lt Glass seems like a winnar for me
Old 2007-12-30, 07:03   Link #387
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
It looks painstacking though, the amount of detail applied to most shots, and I'm led to wonder if Macross Frontier Episode 01 is the reason that Gundam 00 and Clannad went on hiatus, because next to it, those two admittedly top quality series look like almost Yashigani and Macross Frontier now seemingly has all the buzz both on 2ch and in the western communities. It almost seems unfair.
I personally think the two big I.G series from this year in Seirei no Moribito and Ghost Hound look a lot better than Gundam 00 and Clannad but anyway what's the general reaction to Frontier on 2ch? Positive?

Quote:
Obviously everyone who has watched knows what we have to look forward to in the coming episodes so I'll just leave my commentary where it is and say that I have to give this episode a solid Ten out of Ten rating. Interesting Characters, a promising plotline, great music, unmentionable animation and a deep respect for the legacy of the Macross universe shown throughout make it well earned.
Co-sign. Also did watching the episode make you like the intro theme better or are you still of the same opinion as before?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 08:04   Link #388
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
And it wouldn't be right if I didn't talk about the animation quality of the first episode. Let me be honest when I say I have never in my life seen any anime series with such a dazzling feast for the eyes. So much is happening on the screen at one time in some shots, that I have to wonder just how long this episode has been in production. It looks painstacking though, the amount of detail applied to most shots, and I'm led to wonder if Macross Frontier Episode 01 is the reason that Gundam 00 and Clannad went on hiatus, because next to it, those two admittedly top quality series look like almost Yashigani and Macross Frontier now seemingly has all the buzz both on 2ch and in the western communities. It almost seems unfair.
I wouldn't jump the gun too far just yet. Because this IS a special early viewing after all. We should be praying the next episodes and the whole series keeps it up, though the short preview makes it look to be more of the same quality. That and in the end, it's still a four month wait ahead of us.

Also, Macross shows have always been a dark horse so it's never really unfair to put it in the spotlight for ONCE. Gundam shows have gotten dozens of bonafide shows (even if not all are exactly great), Kyoani Key shows will probably continue in the foreseeable future in continuous years, though with Macross, you never know if they'll take 5 to 10 year hiatuses (not counting the half-assed sequels that is, beyond the awesome OVAs). I really think Macross deserves way better than this. Even with the current buzz, it still gets ridiculous criticism.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 10:08   Link #389
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

If i were to judge macross frontier by this mere episode,gundam 00 is long off my list.Chill out,it deserve some chances.I dont understand why some of you are so harsh and keep comparing it with other gundam shows,though voicing your opinion are your rights.This is just the beginning.Even with some flaws here and there,it is still good.No animes are perfect
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 10:46   Link #390
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I think dahak is talking about how much time-in-type Miria had on the VF-1 series, not her training as a combat pilot.
Precisely. Complaing that Alto has no relevant skills for piloting a valkirye when we know he's stunt qualified with EXGear and wants to become a valkiryie pilot [and thus might have done at least some sim training] is a bit much if you accept that playing arcade games is all you need to turn an alien powersuit trooper into a valkyrie pilot.

At the minimum he's had years to play the same games and has controls labeled in his native language that use the control hardware he's good with.

He may not have Miriya's situational awareness or combat instincts but he hasn't be called on to demonstrate those. Just stand up and shoot, which ought to be easier for him than her first catapult launch was for her.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 12:45   Link #391
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Go ahead, hate it all you want, but most of us consider this first episode a very strong entrance for a Macross title, and frankly, an ideal pilot episode for ANY anime standards.
It s the best first episode since macross +, and the only thing i hate is the name Alto(spanish) (high or tall in english) is Lameeee for a spanish speaker point
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 12:58   Link #392
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
It s the best first episode since macross +
I wouldn't quite go that far...... but I can't think of anything else I've seen with a better first ep this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post
If i were to judge macross frontier by this mere episode,gundam 00 is long off my list.Chill out,it deserve some chances.I dont understand why some of you are so harsh and keep comparing it with other gundam shows,though voicing your opinion are your rights.This is just the beginning.Even with some flaws here and there,it is still good.No animes are perfect
Don't work yourself up over it because of a few people, the reaction from the majority of people (both new and old fans alike) has been fairly positive from what I've seen.
Old 2007-12-30, 13:00   Link #393
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
i was speaking about the macross series
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 13:01   Link #394
Westlo
Lets be reality

Then that's not saying much is it lol. 7 was ehh and Zero while alright (especially compared to later on) wasn't exactly something I would call great. FWIW I prefer this first episode over the first from SDF Macross (which I've seen over 5 times not counting thee Robotech version), of course a good first episode means nothing if it turns to crap halfway through, guess we will see if that happens in June.
Old 2007-12-30, 15:18   Link #395
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Co-sign. Also did watching the episode make you like the intro theme better or are you still of the same opinion as before?
I don't think I'll like it as an opening theme as I don't like the song at all. My enjoyment of it's use in the sequence extends only as far as how it perfectly works to highlight how shallow Sheryl Nome and her whole Pop Idol image is. It's shrill, over-produced and when the lyrics are combined with the music it feels empty, whereas Do You Remember Love does not, even after it's deliberately minimalized for the ending song, but has a rendition by Ranka that feels sincere.

I'm quiet impressed how they managed to get that feel across in the idol sequence though. Sheryl is so detached from the song in the area of putting any feeling into it throughout the sequence and it comes across. As I said even her "listen to my song" lacks any feeling, whereas when Basara said it I felt pulled right in. I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose as a juxtaposition. Take one of the most passionate lines from the Macross series and have a character misuse it and deadpan it to show her shallowness instead of dispelling it.

As an opening theme I cannot see how it will work, as the song is kind of annoying. I would prefer Nyan Nyan Delicious Deculture over it.

Also I don't see why there needs to be a big fight between Gundam and Macross fans. I like both Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier so far and feel both of them are equally as good in what I've seen so far. In short there's no reason for them or their fans to clash.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 15:55   Link #396
testorschoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Last time I checked VF fighters weren't piloted by Newtypes who instantly knew what to do. If they pull some shit out of their ass like that I know Macross is in the toilet. Ya they say the hanglider things are similar gear to what the military uses but even Hikaru's first moments in a VF were utter fail. It's like jumping from a single engine Cessna to a 747 Jumbo jet. Throughout the whole franchise everyone who's stepped into a Valk has had prior training. Even Basara (although the controls were modified for him). There were no instant aces. I thought they were supposed to be school kids.
The #2 best pilot training student in his school jumps into a vacated cockpit, which is operated with the same Ex-Gear unit that he happens to be wearing and flying at that moment, and shoots a spray of gun pod rounds at a huge enemy. No transformation yet, not even flying yet.

Uh, where are the Newtypes or "instant aces"?

Quote:
As for the Max comment - never got that bishie vibe as a kid or as an adult. As a kid and I remember this quite clearly I always felt that he was supposed to be the nerd, where as Hikaru was your normal average peron and Kakizaki was the class clown.
His glasses aside, Max was played as a bit of a charming ladies' man in Macross. (Watch his first episode again.) Robotech downplayed that and went for the stereotypical nebbishly nerdy interpretation.

Quote:
BTW Flashback is music video with no dialog and 2 mins if that of additional footage.
Six minutes actually.
testorschoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 17:46   Link #397
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Ranka kinda reeks Minmay to me >.>, never liked her in Macross so i doubt i ll like Ranka at all.
Minmay never had the 'puppy dog hair stlye' going for her though.
Old 2007-12-30, 22:35   Link #398
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by testorschoice View Post
The #2 best pilot training student in his school jumps into a vacated cockpit, which is operated with the same Ex-Gear unit that he happens to be wearing and flying at that moment, and shoots a spray of gun pod rounds at a huge enemy. No transformation yet, not even flying yet.
To complete the humiliation, there's no faceplant into the ground after a critical fumble - not yet at least

Macross the original had a willingness to kill anyone without the cheat enabled. IN M25 there is a graphic representation of the XO of an elite VF unit squished to bits >_<.

Anyway, raw VF rookies in the series don't really do very well during the first engagement. In short, these guys are usually lucky to be alive at the end.

Now, I'm just waiting for an eyeful of naked girl- there's bound to be one

Love Ranka's phone, it's the sort of cute and quirky thing I've come to expect out of the Macross series.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 23:17   Link #399
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime View Post
Now, I'm just waiting for an eyeful of naked girl- there's bound to be one
The interesting thing, is that the singer's outfit was quite revealing... until you realize she was wearing a full-bodysuit and all the bare flesh were just holograms.

Makes you wonder why she even bother to turn up if a hologram will do. I am sure it would be a scandal if she was caught with playing pre-recorded performances though.
Old 2007-12-30, 23:33   Link #400
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
lol.

those hologram technology have really improved haven't they?

Oh and i was amused by the "listen to my song!" line, guess all singers in the Macross Universe know the power of their craft, just surprised none have gone to the length as basara with sonic weapon technology-thingy.

@Hobbe Fan

ah damn, been flushed from my evil rock, I'm a Macross Fanboy, so shoot me.

If i.m going down, i'm gonna take down those dirty Robotech heathen with me! D:

*drags hobbe fan with him*

what...did you say something? Sorry can't hear you, i can only judge you on that single comment you posted.

First impressions kinda forms the WHOLE opinion of someone, a bit like judging a series on the first episode.

Tags
action, romance