AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-10-15, 08:44   Link #7201
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
On the other hand, I sense that Nagi will need Hayate's assistance again this time (even if only in a covert manner).
This is probably leading directly into the "flash forward" that we saw at the beginning of this arc. We were shown the skyscraper in this chapter, after all, plus Luca.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 11:08   Link #7202
Used Can

I think things are heading the way I've thought they would for quite some time. Nagi seems to be outgrowing the need to be constantly guarded by Hayate. It seems this is her very first step on independence. Of course, she's got a long way to go before she becomes actually independent and Hayate will be watching over her while she gives her first steps.

This is good development, I believe. I want to see more of Luca, though, and what that Yozora girl is up to.
Old 2010-10-15, 11:23   Link #7203
Wolfnagi
Ojou-sama Familiar!!!!!!!

I am so damn proud at my wife right now that I could shed a tear xD
THIS. IS. THE. BEST. ARC. EVER!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-10-15, 11:30   Link #7204
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I think things are heading the way I've thought they would for quite some time. Nagi seems to be outgrowing the need to be constantly guarded by Hayate. It seems this is her very first step on independence. Of course, she's got a long way to go before she becomes actually independent and Hayate will be watching over her while she gives her first steps.

This is good development, I believe. I want to see more of Luca, though, and what that Yozora girl is up to.
soon she won't need hayate at all and Athena will step in and repay his debt and take him away
Old 2010-10-15, 11:36   Link #7205
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
soon she won't need hayate at all and Athena will step in and repay his debt and take him away
He'll still have his loyalty of protection to Nagi, even Athena won't be able to take that away.
Unless Nagi orders him away (like Athena did), he'll never leave Nagi willingly.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 12:24   Link #7206
mitsuganae

Turning momentarily to the real world, I find it interesting that the current arc is unfolding amidst an anime season with shows that are about being an otaku (Bakapacuman, The World Dog Only Knows, Orekillmoe, etc.). Must be something in the air.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2010-10-15 at 13:17.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 12:27   Link #7207
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
He'll still have his loyalty of protection to Nagi, even Athena won't be able to take that away.
Unless Nagi orders him away (like Athena did), he'll never leave Nagi willingly.
or when Hayate realize that what Nagi needs eventually to stand on her own is without Maria or him hoovering in the background.
Old 2010-10-15, 12:54   Link #7208
Wolfnagi

Quote:
or when Hayate realize that what Nagi needs eventually to stand on her own is without Maria or him hoovering in the background.
But then again,
She still needs them to at LEAST survive (well, every kids need their guardian right?????)

@mitsuL The World Dog Only Knows.....
lol xD
Old 2010-10-15, 13:08   Link #7209
Used Can

Quote:
I doubt he'll ever do that. His attitude toward Nagi is the same of a father. A father never thinks his daughter is old enough.

However, I think Nagi becoming independent, little by little, is a good thing on many different levels. To begin with, it is really good for her character development. It also makes the manga more interesting, and it's good to take it from the slump it was in. It also adds the possibility that, since Nagi may reach a point in which she becomes independent enough, she decides to let Hayate go (i.e. assuming he hasn't fallen for her, and/or that Nagi learned that he's not in love with her and about what actually happened back when they first met), so that he can starts a relationship with one of the other girls. That, or since Nagi may have been developed enough, she may actually start a relationship with Hayate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnagi View Post
But then again,
She still needs them to at LEAST survive (well, every kids need their guardian right?????)
Listen to this man.
Old 2010-10-15, 13:11   Link #7210
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I doubt he'll ever do that. His attitude toward Nagi is the same of a father. A father never thinks his daughter is old enough.

However, I think Nagi becoming independent, little by little, is a good thing on many different levels. To begin with, it is really good for her character development. It also makes the manga more interesting, and it's good to take it from the slump it was in. It also adds the possibility that, since Nagi may reach a point in which she becomes independent enough, she decides to let Hayate go (i.e. assuming he hasn't fallen for her, and/or that Nagi learned that he's not in love with her and about what actually happened back when they first met), so that he can starts a relationship with one of the other girls. That, or since Nagi may have been developed enough, she may actually start a relationship with Hayate.
not gonna happen

Quote:
Listen to this man.
i didn't say he needs to leave immediately, just when his leaving will do the most good.
Old 2010-10-15, 13:18   Link #7211
madmac

Quote:

Exactly this. No matter how it ends, Nagi growing up is the key that breaks the stalemate and allows the manga to move forward towards an (eventual) conclusion. It's no wonder Hata has been emphasizing how important this arc is.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 13:35   Link #7212
Wolfnagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Exactly this. No matter how it ends, Nagi growing up is the key that breaks the stalemate and allows the manga to move forward towards an (eventual) conclusion. It's no wonder Hata has been emphasizing how important this arc is.
And you guys HAD to realized that now......
Its actually rather simple,
Nagi's Arc = Plot-wise Arc,
Anybody else except Hayate, A-tan and Maria = Fillers, and yes, its also include Hina
Old 2010-10-15, 13:42   Link #7213
Used Can

Quote:
not gonna happen
Can you prove that? Mind you, I do not think the manga has been developed in a way that Hayate and Nagi will end up together. I've said that plenty of times in this thread. But that's all I can do. I have no idea what Hata plans to do with this manga.

Just be careful when you take things for granted. The world goes round, and it sometimes brings something back to slap you in the face. This is just a friendly piece of advice.

Quote:
i didn't say he needs to leave immediately, just when his leaving will do the most good.
I think there are higher chances of him and Nagi ending up together, than him leaving Nagi's side on his own accord. If Hayate ever leaves Nagi's side, in my opinion, it will be because he's got strong feelings for another girl AND because Nagi let him go. The latter being the most important condition for him to even consider leaving her side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnagi View Post
Anybody else except Hayate, A-tan and Maria = Fillers, and yes, its also include Hina
I wouldn't call them fillers. Hina is basically the heroine of the story, since she's always helping pretty much everyone. Even if she's not really connected to the core of the plot, she's been engrained so much to the story, that she's become an almost integral part of it. Ayumu is also following those steps, since she's pretty much becoming someone who can tie all the characters. Not to mention she's becoming very important for Nagi and Hina, because they rely on her for advise, since Ayumu is, emotionally, much more mature than them.

They may be support characters, but they are so relevant to the story, that referring to the moments in which they receive focus as fillers, in my opinion, is just wrong.
Old 2010-10-15, 14:33   Link #7214
mitsuganae

Jeez, it seems that things always fall back to the ground that is shipping. When all is said and done, shipping is only a single aspect of character use/development. Which reminds me -- I wish Hata would give something that distinguishes Risa a bit more. Miki has her Hinagiku crush and Izumi has her meeting with Hayate from waaay back, but Risa is just . . . there, as a chorus member. Even minor characters need something distinguishing.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2010-10-15 at 15:23.
Old 2010-10-15, 14:35   Link #7215
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
but Risa is just . . . there, as chorus member.
She's a miko.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 14:39   Link #7216
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
She's a miko.
Yeah, but IMHO that's not terribly distinguishing. Unless of course it starts to play a larger role in the plot.
Old 2010-10-15, 15:58   Link #7217
madmac

Quote:
Jeez, it seems that things always fall back to the ground that is shipping. When all is said and done, shipping is only a single aspect of character use/development
It's the single biggest obstacle to keeping a conversation going, yes. (Not that I can claim complete innocence.)

Sometimes it seems the only thing you can do is avoid talking about any of the "main" (Nagi, Athena, Hina) girls too much. Anyone who doesn't have a huge shipping base is easier to discuss without getting sidetracked by shipping wars.

Quote:
Risa is just . . . there, as a chorus member. Even minor characters need something distinguishing.
Risa does feel different to me then the other two, but it's hard to put it into words...She's like the brash, aggressive one, I guess. She's also simultaneously the dumbest and most self confident member of the group. I'd also say she has the simplest motivations--Miki is sneaky, but Risa just straight up enjoys messing with people.

It's true though that she has virtually no background or character development and what is there (Miko) is almost entirely unused.

Still, I think she works well enough. Not every support character needs to be well-rounded and three dimensional.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 16:43   Link #7218
mitsuganae

It's always a great pleasure to know your thoughts, madmac. I suppose my desire to have Risa a bit more fleshed out exists because it seems that almost all the other characters surpass her in terms of development/background. I mean, her fellow chorusmates, Yukiji, and even Tama are more fleshed out. To me, the only character that is less fleshed out is Shiranui. It all seems a little unfair for poor Risa. But as you said, she works well enough.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2010-10-15 at 18:00.
Old 2010-10-15, 16:49   Link #7219
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Risa is just . . . there, as a chorus member. Even minor characters need something distinguishing.
Risa does feel different to me then the other two, but it's hard to put it into words...She's like the brash, aggressive one, I guess. She's also simultaneously the dumbest and most self confident member of the group. I'd also say she has the simplest motivations--Miki is sneaky, but Risa just straight up enjoys messing with people.

It's true though that she has virtually no background or character development and what is there (Miko) is almost entirely unused.

Still, I think she works well enough. Not every support character needs to be well-rounded and three dimensional.
While I agree that Risa needs more development, there are hints being dropped that Hata does have a deeper character for her than simply a trouble-making Miko.
During her travel with the other two, she did hint that she had kissed a guy, which might indicate she's a Hero Of Another Story just waiting to be told. Maybe she'll get an arc later on, when the story's back where Hata is happy with the way things are going/working/flowing/whatever again.
And maybe she'll get to shot another reptile, and explain why she carries a tranq gun.

About him leaving Nagi eventually, it's not going to happen. He has his promise of eternal protection over her (at the same time he thinks of his promise of eternal love for Athena), though I don't think that'll extend to romance.
That's not to say he, possibly, won't fall in love with Nagi, he's just going to protect her beyond the space of romance.
Even if she orders him to leave her side, he'll still find a way to protect her because of that promise.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-18, 08:17   Link #7220
Mentar
Banned

To give other character's shippers a chance to participate in the next Popularity Contest, too:

There's an online version which normal people can use, too. Doughnut Gunso wrote a small Howto on his blog here:

http://doughnutgunsoshayatereport.wo...how-do-i-vote/

And to help with the names a bit for those not proficient with moonrunes, here the most important ones translated:

Code:
o Hayate                             o Nagi                          o Maria
o Athena                             o Hinagiku                      o Ayumu
o Chiharu                            o Sakuya                        o Isumi
o Wataru                             o Saki                          o Izumi
o Miki                               o Risa                          o Tama
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen