AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-14, 01:23   Link #741
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
But is there a pun or inside joke on Mariko's name?
Because she's call Takaragi Tsubasa unlike the other AKB members who name is their nickname in real life.
None of the current members (successors) actually share their names with the old AKB members. They seem to go by their stage names for all intents and purposes, but presumably they had real names before they inherited the AKB names.

Tsubasa appears to be a former idol who retired and became manager, so it makes sense that the current members refer to her by her old stage name, while she introduces herself by her real name.

At least, that's my take on the matter.
Old 2012-05-14, 01:44   Link #742
mochichan

Geez..Mariko is a retired idol in the anime huh..
that sound like a hint for the oldest and 26 years old member of the group...lol
or maybe it's a complement to her being AKB's mother and now she's the one taking care of the trainees

It did get confusing because in the first ep Takamina called her Mariko-sama lol
I would prefer that to the name Tsubasa :P
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 01:48   Link #743
sa547
*Author

That makes sense, in the light of taking account of the naming system originally derived from kabuki, as I'm reading this:
Quote:
Ichikawa Danjūrō (市川 團十郎?) is a stage name taken on by a series of Kabuki actors of the Ichikawa family. Most of these were blood relatives, though some were adopted into the family. It is a famous and important name, and receiving it is an honor. There are a number of roles that the line of Danjūrō specialize in, as well as a series of plays, the Kabuki Jūhachiban (The Kabuki Eighteen), which showcase the specialties of the Ichikawa family.

Danjūrō, like other actors' names, is bestowed (or given up) at grand naming ceremonies called shūmei in which a number of actors formally change their names. The name Danjūrō is generally taken at the peak of an actor's career; another name may be taken after retirement. Prior to taking the name Danjūrō, an actor frequently had the names Matsumoto Kōshirō, Ichikawa Shinnosuke, or Ichikawa Ebizō.

The design of the Ichikawa family mon, three squares nested inside one another, is called mimasu or sanshō (三升?). Some of the actors in this line used "Sanshō" as their haimyō, a nickname or alias used in poetry circles.
We can go further by looking into shumei.
Old 2012-05-14, 02:10   Link #744
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

It's a shame there is not Rie-chan
Old 2012-05-14, 02:22   Link #745
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Holy freaking JESUS!!!!
I know that was a test and all, but GODDAMN, I think my jab hit the floor.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eriousBusiness

I've seen LESS action in shounens.
Heavy government-enforced censorship is indeed pretty serious business, and you can't get much more extreme than banning entertainment altogether.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 02:45   Link #746
sa547
*Author

Currently watching the subbed version right now.

So we have a name now for the priestess/producer/manager/strike team commander/ship captain: Tsubasa Katagiri, formerly known as "Mariko Shinoda" (as she was referred to then in Stage 01). Hence by seniority her hair and eye shine are now diamond-shaped, as opposed to the heart-shaped shine of the girls under her command.

Quote:
Oh yeah, the 0048 mothership is named Katyusha, after the AKB single. The Flying Get is the flying stage that attaches to the Katyusha’s underbelly.
Now everything made sense.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-14 at 04:38.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 03:05   Link #747
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Congrats to the whole staff for making me feel that the concert scene was badass.
And while I'm not familiar with AKB48 the song "beginner" makes that scene,without it it wouldn't be as epic,the intro just sets the tone for the whole scene,and that tone is something grittier than what we saw so far: no cute magical girl-esque attacks this week,just guns and grenades all under the rain!
Not to mention the lyrics fit the grl's state of mind,makes me wonder if this episode wasn't written with this song in mind.

Thank you Okada for resisting the pure shock factor and actualy having this be a selection test,it doesn't diminish the impact of the scene because the girls are out there fighting like it's the real deal and it just wouldn't make much sense for this not to be a test.
ThoughI have to say that is one intense test!

If there's more episodes like this coming up then I think I'll enjoy this show more than I originally thought.

PS:they should just rename this show "Call of Duty: Idol Warfare"

Last edited by totoum; 2012-05-14 at 03:28.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 04:00   Link #748
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Man, I Just watched episode 5.

This was totally not what I was expecting. That fight was pretty darn intense. That scene was built for Beginner and it was so effective.

Funny how in the future there are still AK derivative weapons, but sending these girls to fight robots with small arms doesn't make sense in the slightest.

Ignoring that, the reasoning is to make them realize how fighting weapons with weapons is bad?

Either way, can't wait to see them move on to becoming actual idols.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 04:11   Link #749
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
Ignoring that, the reasoning is to make them realize how fighting weapons with weapons is bad?
The main premises was to see if they were brave enough to protect the stage and their team-mates.

The fact that they used regular weapons instead of the tech-toys the actual AKB members use to fight was indeed to show a distinction between them and the DES. But this message was secondary, specially since even though they were using regular weapons, they weren't using lethal force (I remember the manager explained that before the concert), so it didn't make much of a difference.
Old 2012-05-14, 04:13   Link #750
sa547
*Author

Indeed it was a character test, designed to weed out those who can't make the cut, which leaves us thinking whether Okada got her inspiration from reading Starship Troopers or watching G.I. Jane.

The choice of assault rifle seem to be another in-joke, as I'm reminded of those who were initially confused as they mixed up AK47s with AKB48 and vice-versa.
Old 2012-05-14, 04:14   Link #751
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Is that this will be a little Yuri anime?
Old 2012-05-14, 04:17   Link #752
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
Is that this will be a little Yuri anime?
Well... We're not sure yet, but considering Heavy Rotation...

Spoiler:

And considering legacies... something I came up with last night:
Spoiler:

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-14 at 05:35.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 04:21   Link #753
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I

The choice of assault rifle seem to be another in-joke, as I'm reminded of those who were initially confused as they mixed up AK47s with AKB48 and vice-versa.
Oh wow... I totally missed that joke. If that was actually intended, that's actually incredibly clever haha.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 04:24   Link #754
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Indeed it was a character test, designed to weed out those who can't make the cut
I really didn't see such a test coming,here I was thinking we'd get a few episodes dedicatied to numerous trials but instead we get one very selective test and by the end of our episode we already have our team!Not that I mind.
Old 2012-05-14, 04:32   Link #755
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Well... We're not sure yet, but considering Heavy Rotation...
Haha ok I see ... well I hope it will be for me a little Yuri
Old 2012-05-14, 04:38   Link #756
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was a pretty intense way to test people. Of course they had them fight with the guns instead of impressive toys since it was a test of character and how they would react under fire. Give some of those girls laser swords and they'd probably cut their own arms off. All about putting people in some intense situation. Though obviously still some danger, I mean if they throw those grenades bad they'll blow up a friend.

That's a quick way to select a group though. Prepare them a bit, put them under fire, and see who rises to the top. They already had a grasp on skills from the initial test so just needed to see who could handle the fights.

At least this helped the friends bond again. Was plenty of tension, but nothing like getting shot at to make those kinds of feelings secondary.
Old 2012-05-14, 06:47   Link #757
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Many thanks. Have a cookie.

Bah I can't see it from here.

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-05-14 at 07:23. Reason: Saw my signature on the other thread.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 09:30   Link #758
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
PS:they should just rename this show "Call of Duty: Idol Warfare"
I'll be surprised if there isn't some video game spin-off from this. A Wii or PS Move seems appropriate, where you can use the wand as a weapon and as a mock microphone for singing and dancing. The Kinect would be a possibility, too, but Xbox penetration in Japan is much lower than the Nintendo and Sony platforms.

I, too, would say my sympathies are with Chieri at the moment. She seems the one who most understands what the role of an AKB0048 member entails. It wasn't so obvious why our team of girls were the ultimate winners, though. Most of the attention was focused on Nagisa and Chieri. Maybe I just missed some of the scenes with the other girls; things were moving pretty fast there during the combat sequence.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 09:36   Link #759
Midonin
Last Engage

AKB0048 03 - sweet ARMS

The 3D dance sequences are still a little off putting. I will never be used to that style of animation. But for the rest of this episode... for a moment there, Upotte! appeared less military in comparison. Even if it was all a really elaborate mock battle, the intensity was way up there. No surprise that everyone who gets billing as a main character passes the trial, but we're only three episodes in. There's plenty of time to go deeper with this. One thing on the show I will comment on is the scenery. Those rows of honeycomb beds looked really cool, but it's probably not a place I'd want to sleep in. (And in Japan, I know they actually do have things like that.) Also, Powerdizer is part of the training program now, cool.

All these wildly contrasting elements are forming a pretty neat whole.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 09:43   Link #760
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I, too, would say my sympathies are with Chieri at the moment. She seems the one who most understands what the role of an AKB0048 member entails.
I feel that way, too. Which is why the scene where that one idol told her "Keep it up, and you won't pass the selection round" was a real "what the hell?" moment for me.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime