AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 13 [END] Discussion / Poll
Perfect 10 31 50.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 22.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 11.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.20%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-28, 00:50   Link #1
4Tran

Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 13 [END] Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Note that because Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th Season is licensed, the following apply as well:
  • Asking where you can find Maria-sama ga Miteru downloads.
  • Providing links to Maria-sama ga Miteru downloads.
  • Discussing Maria-sama ga Miteru fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading Maria-sama ga Miteru.
  • Asking for playback help for Maria-sama ga Miteru episodes.
These rules applies to fansubs (in English or any other language) and raws alike.

Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-03-28, 01:29   Link #2
ziggr

Today my favorite television series came to a close. I can't believe it is over.

Maria-sama ga miteru has been a part of my life for five years now. There is something about this show that just resonates with me. The tranquil school setting. The slow, thoughtful plots. Romanticized nostalgia for my own Catholic high school years. Maria-sama is one of the few shows that get me misty-eyed, even after repeated viewings.

There is no other anime like it. There may not be another series of this caliber for a long time.

It was only five years ago that we first watched Yumi and Sachiko meet:

Spoiler for Ep 13 ending:

Were there any surprises in this episode? Probably not. Certainly not with my poor Japanese skills. Maybe I'll pick up something new after repeated viewings. For that reason, it felt more like a commuter train ride to an inevitable and expected conclusion than a roller coaster ride with surprise turns and dark tunnels.
Spoiler for Ep 13 Paranormal Activity:

Spoiler for Ep 13 Ride Home:

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a little something in my eye....
Old 2009-03-28, 02:35   Link #3
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Great episode. If you didn't get all misty, then you either don't understand Japanese, or you have a heart of stone.

Some of the stuff to point out...

Spoiler for Ep 13 stuff to tide you over...:

Oh, and I wouldn't necessarily say it's the end of the series. It's the end of this season, but there's still a ton of material left for another season. Depending on how it's produced, there are around 7 books of material if you're creative about it. (And considering that this season went through 7-8 books, that makes it very do-able.)
Old 2009-03-28, 03:18   Link #4
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
Great episode. If you didn't get all misty, then you either don't understand Japanese, or you have a heart of stone.

Some of the stuff to point out...

Spoiler for Ep 13 stuff to tide you over...:
Spoiler for Ep 13:
Old 2009-03-28, 04:30   Link #5
mintyfresh
Altoid

A few days ago, I got into car wreck that unfortunately sent me to the hospital and rather totaled my car. Adding further insult to injury (and perhaps making my story almost comical), the tow truck guy thought it a good idea to pocket my ipod as well.
This episode of Marimite has been just about the best thing to happen to me this entire week. ┐( ¯3¯)┌

/blog

Anyhow, I wish I could make as beautiful a comment about the totality of this anime like ziggr did, but I think I'll just jot down a few things in bullet points. I'm still rather reeling from the fact that the season's over and am probably having a bit of a hard time making lucid sentences. In fact, almost all I can say is:

- niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya! ( ゚∀゚)

- Okay. Certainly I couldn't have been the only one who cried "YES!!" after the "Maria-sama no niwa ni tsudou..." avant title came up again. I swear, I've been saying to myself from the start that as soon as this season's over I'm splicing each of my videos and sticking it at the beginning. There's something missing when you don't hear that at the start of a Marimite episode.
...This is actually the second time in a row the series has made me yell something out uncontrollably at an embarrasing volume. Incidentally, I yelled "FUCK" when Sachiko ate that chocolate bonbon in the last episode. I mean seriously, did you see that? Man, am I a pervert.

- niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya! ( ゚∀゚)

- Aw, it's happening again. Once again, that thing I do that plagued me back when I watched Aria came up, where I have to go back and listen to the dialogue since the first time around I'm completely captivated by the BGM. And the BGM this episode was definitely great -- new things, and even a few old things. I love whenever Deai is played in an episode. That song is gorgeous. Bloody hell, I'm dying to get this season's soundtrack so I can learn the names of the newer tracks as well (not to mention listen to them at my leisure). And yet, the official site won't even tell us when the OST is due out. Why must you torture me, Katakura!?

- Ohhh, and I'm always really surprised with how well the anime handles some of the scenes. There are really some things that can't be replicated in novel form.

Spoiler for Such as...:

- niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya niya!!! ( ゚∀゚)
(oh btw, a little late, but for those unfamiliar with this term, it means "I'm grinning like an idiot". Yes, throughout the entire episode.
...But especially whenever Touko blushed at Yumi... that was just murder.)

- (also, yes, I do spend too much time on nicodouga.)

- Though speaking of grinning like an idiot, did anyone else notice Noriko doing the same as well? Hehe, GJ staff.

- And lastly, I'm going to have to pat myself on the back, if not just a little, for guessing how this episode would be handled. I was unfortunately right about how the other two dates would be treated, but like I thought, the season closed with a quick wink to Bara no Kanmuri. I'm glad they did that the way they did. If need be, the whole story can be told in the fifth season.

Because there will be a fifth season, right...?
...Of course there will.
Old 2009-03-28, 08:55   Link #6
inisipis

Oh my God!

I can't wait to watch it. The suspense is killing me.

I hope they quickly let out any news on when the next (most likely Final) series will come out (whether it's TV or OAV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
A few days ago, I got into car wreck that unfortunately sent me to the hospital and rather totaled my car. Adding further insult to injury (and perhaps making my story almost comical), the tow truck guy thought it a good idea to pocket my ipod as well.
This episode of Marimite has been just about the best thing to happen to me this entire week. ┐( ¯3¯)┌
I hope your feeling better, nothing serious i hope. Sorry about what happened to your car. May that Tow truck driver loose all his teeth except one, and may that have a tooth ache. Cheers.
Old 2009-03-28, 09:09   Link #7
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggr View Post
Spoiler for Ep 13 Ride Home:
with this moment ..I can't wait for the Sub
Old 2009-03-28, 09:24   Link #8
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Spoiler for Ep 13:
Yeah, it was late when I posted that. Brain freeze. I remember the scene differently from the books, though, so that's probably why I typed it that way. Lack of sleep and such. >_>

@mintyfresh
Actually, I'm glad there wasn't any camerawork like in the last episode of season 2. That last scene in season 2 kind of ruined the dramatic tension for me, and I wound up laughing. This scene was a lot more effective for me.

That was the main thing this ep had for me-- it had the scenes I wanted to see animated, animated, and done very beautifully. And of course the music was good, too.

I'm just glad they didn't stop to eat at a Pizza Hut. >_<
Old 2009-03-28, 11:31   Link #9
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm just beyond the age where a high school drama can move me to tears, and I never was specially emotionally attached to the characters, but, as I mentioned earlier, from an intellectual point of view I was able to appreciate the episode a lot. The music, the usage of lighting, the characters, the VA's, everything was there. It's not the fault of the series that I wasn't able to be attached to it, so I'm appreciating it for what it is.
Old 2009-03-28, 12:34   Link #10
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalicious View Post
@mintyfresh
Actually, I'm glad there wasn't any camerawork like in the last episode of season 2. That last scene in season 2 kind of ruined the dramatic tension for me, and I wound up laughing. This scene was a lot more effective for me.
Admittedly, I found the part where the background tranformed into an explosion of roses a tad bit embarrasing as well, but I thought the initial scene where Sachiko and Yumi reunite was epicly beautiful. Crackers, just thinking about it makes me want to rewatch it again.
...Anyhow. Something like that might've been nice, but it's a small lament considering how good the episode was otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
I hope your feeling better, nothing serious i hope. Sorry about what happened to your car. May that Tow truck driver loose all his teeth except one, and may that have a tooth ache. Cheers.
Hehe, thanks a lot, and I am.
To be honest I wasn't really feeling bad at all after the accident. Despite the way my car looks, I came away from it with hardly a scratch (much less something more serious like a broken bone or something). The only reason I had to go to the hospital was to make sure I didn't have any internal injuries, and to figure out why I passed out at the wheel in the first place (I...don't usually do that).
The loss of my car and beloved personal music player does indeed suck, but all things considered I suppose I was pretty lucky.
Old 2009-03-28, 12:39   Link #11
Lesca

What a great episode, i'm such a sap when it comes to happy endings

Spoiler for Ep 13:

I think the first series will always be my favourite, but I did enjoy this one a lot too. I doubt they'd do another series but hoping for a few OVA's at least since it's not really finished yet.
Old 2009-03-28, 12:49   Link #12
sa547
*Author

@Minty: get well soon. We've seen close calls in our lives.

Got to see this. Got to see this. Got to see this. Then afterward I'll treat myself to a Pizza Hut Special.
Old 2009-03-28, 13:05   Link #13
inisipis

Just watched it with no translation.

Very excellent episode. Very pleased I am most.

This Episode captured again the elements on what make Maria-Sama truly wonderful. The slow gentle pace that invites us viewers to the rich canvass of the setting. The calm conversation of characters we have grown to adore. This episode makes us soak into this real yet dreamy world.

Very touching on how the whole episode focus on this 'Journey' this two characters (Yumi/Touko) must take, alone together. The episode is full symbolism, from looking glass-darkly to the dark tunnel with animated shadows like film frames. Touko as an actual willing guide to Yumi, in taking her to the depths of her heart.

When images of a rescued baby from a car wreck, and Touko pointing to two different school girls in the photo, you don't need to understand Japanese in understanding what she's saying. My heart breaks for Touko.

Yumi Mental Note: Must kill Drama club president.

Spoiler for Speaking of which:

@Minty: Glad to hear that. Take care.
Old 2009-03-28, 13:55   Link #14
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

What can I say? That was wonderful. A wonderful end to a great Marimite series. It's a thrill to have my feelings towards Touko migrate so far: from loathing to total sympathy. So it was a melodramatic situation. That doesn't mean I couldn't enjoy it to the full.

And it's so great that Kugimiya Rie has gotten to expand her tsundere style with two richer tsundere characters this season: Taiga and Touko.

More Marimite, please.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-03-28 at 15:25.
Old 2009-03-28, 16:11   Link #15
Zippicus

I broke down and watched the raw so I'll have to wait for subs to clear up some of the conversation but the gist of things was still clear. Touko was downright adorable in this episode, I knew she could be nice if she tried

I was a bit surprised that they left things off where they did. It's like they owe us a season 5 now.
Old 2009-03-28, 16:20   Link #16
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I see too many people being fired up for a season 5 when it is not even at the level of a fuzzy 3rd hand rumour. I am just mentioning it so that people don't get their hopes up, or that it doesn't transform into a fake spoiler. Plus, scientific studies demonstrate that being delusional is not good for your night eyesight.
Old 2009-03-28, 16:24   Link #17
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Ahh. I won't mind waiting for a lifetime as long as Marimite Season 5 gets animated.

Anyway, the next wait.. I would have been pretty old
Old 2009-03-28, 16:31   Link #18
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I see too many people being fired up for a season 5 when it is not even at the level of a fuzzy 3rd hand rumour. I am just mentioning it so that people don't get their hopes up, or that it doesn't transform into a fake spoiler. Plus, scientific studies demonstrate that being delusional is not good for your night eyesight.
Lol. Point taken, but other studies show that being hopeful is good for your mental health. If they decided it made sense to do another season or OVA series, would there be enough material in the novels?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-03-28, 23:54   Link #19
cynicalicious
I like pie.

Proto is correct. There is NO 5th season yet, nor any rumor of it. But there have been 4 successful seasons so far, and there is still plenty of material left (for OVAs at the least). If season 4 sells well, it's not irrational to expect them to go for a 5th in some form or another at some later date.

The main reasons being 1) Anime is a business, and they're in it to make money-- if they made money on seasons 1-4, then it's rational to go for a 5th, and 2) This isn't the end of the story.

And if a 5th season never happens, this season ended well enough that it's not going to be a big deal.

@Kaoru Chujo I answered your question about material for a 5th season (OVA or regular 13-ep) in the spoiler section. I left it in general terms, so it shouldn't spoil anyone, but it's even more off-topic than this already is.
Old 2009-03-29, 02:32   Link #20
Eleutheria
旅行癖

In the scene where they show Sachiko drinking from a tea cup after Touko talks about her childhood, I thought the cup would suddenly crack to signify the loss of her girlfriend to another >.>

This is one of those series that's pretty easy to understand even though dialogue is heavy. This is because the characters take their time to talk, which is very rare.
Closed Thread