AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 07:34   Link #5961
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Yea, most obvious connection I think. All the brainstorming in IRC kinda lights it up too.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 07:45   Link #5962
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Perhaps it's this line of thought:

Belka have Knights.
Europe in the Middle Ages had knights (and Friar Tuck).
So Belka = Europe in the Middle Ages.

Profit? =3
It's like the bastard child of Holy Roman Germanic Empire and Ancient Chinese Empire with all the pretty dressing from medieval Europe. The civil wars in the past seems to be drawn in inspiration from the Chinese Warring States period, but also the European Religion Wars. However, unlike Europe, there are no hints about Belkans fighting a Crusade against the local Infidels. (tho this is room for fanon)
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 07:59   Link #5963
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Well, China doesn't have a monopoly on civil wars in centuries past. So as long your domain is big enough to facilitate multiple claimants to power, you'll definitely have a pretty messy civil war. The idea that any large and powerful (usually dynastic) empire will eventually find itself embroiled in bloody in-fighting seems to be deeply etched into human imagination. Europe, itself, if we don't restrict ourselves to just one country, has plenty of such good examples too (like the War of the Roses, for one. The Hammer hit Martin with it and we have A Song of Ice and Fire). Religion was a good excuse for coveting and invading your neighbours' territory but that's just one of many, I'd say.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:02   Link #5964
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Well, China doesn't have a monopoly on civil wars in centuries past. So as long your domain is big enough to facilitate multiple claimants to power, you'll definitely have a pretty messy civil war. The idea that any large and powerful (usually dynastic) empire will eventually find itself embroiled in bloody in-fighting seems to be deeply etched into human imagination. Europe, itself, if we don't restrict ourselves to just one country, has plenty of such good examples too (like the War of the Roses, for one. The Hammer hit Martin with it and we have A Song of Ice and Fire).
True that.
Old 2009-03-29, 10:19   Link #5965
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Ah one last problem though, if the author decided not not follow Earthen armor designs but his thinking over the millenia from the fall of Alhazred, all that becomes moot.
Old 2009-03-29, 10:50   Link #5966
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

I don't quite get what "his thinking over the millenia from the fall of Alhazred" means, to be honest. Elaborate, if you may.

Signature by liro
Old 2009-03-29, 10:54   Link #5967
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Using Alhazred as an exit point perhaps? Using that design as a model and not earth references.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 10:55   Link #5968
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I meant to say what if he thinks everything started out with Arabic designs (due to the word Alhazred), then worked things out from there to present day? You'd get rather interesting gear no, at least not recognizably Earthen?
Old 2009-03-29, 11:40   Link #5969
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

You'd get something close because in the last news, Belkans, Alhazredians or Mids are humanoids, of the homo sapiens kind. Thus, more than likely exposed to an arm vs armor race until magic comes into play. And before magic, it is not unlikely that they experimented a trial and error of chainmail, platemail, scalemail or what's not against stones, spears, swords, clubs, maces and hammers. Unless they stagnated like Aztecs, Incas or pre-Columbian civilizations until the appearance of magic.
Old 2009-03-29, 12:22   Link #5970
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I meant to say what if he thinks everything started out with Arabic designs (due to the word Alhazred), then worked things out from there to present day? You'd get rather interesting gear no, at least not recognizably Earthen?
It's still based on what we have here, isn't it? And so as long functionality isn't thrown to the winds, what's good in those designs will no doubt be retained and polished as the author sees fit (provided the author knows what s/he is doing). There is only some much that one can change without losing the spirit of the original design.

The idea of basing Al Hazard armor on Arabic designs is interesting imho. For one, decorations on Muslim armor involved a great deal of calligraphy. Though this was to avoid images as objects of devotion, for the Al Hazardian armorer these could be inscriptions of protective spells written in a way that the final product is a work of art as it is of defense. And if magic is Al Hazard's chief weapon, there is a possibility that they would gradually do away with whatever parts of armor that they felt to be too cumbersome or uncomfortable. The Muslim armor was design for speed over heavy protection and the Middle East isn't really a very cool place. The result was armor that was relatively lighter and less extensive than its European cousin.

To be honest, I would love to see an Al Hazardian warrior with one of those conical helmets .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You'd get something close because in the last news, Belkans, Alhazredians or Mids are humanoids, of the homo sapiens kind. Thus, more than likely exposed to an arm vs armor race until magic comes into play. And before magic, it is not unlikely that they experimented a trial and error of chainmail, platemail, scalemail or what's not against stones, spears, swords, clubs, maces and hammers. Unless they stagnated like Aztecs, Incas or pre-Columbian civilizations until the appearance of magic.
Furthermore, good ideas are eagerly plagiarized, especially if you're at a disadvantage and stealing the enemies' ideas will help level the playing field at least. If your type of weapon, armor or even magic worked equally well for you as it would for me, and you have an edge due to that element, how quick do you think it'll take for me to copy yours and apply it to my troops, with modifications and improvements to suit my circumstances?

Signature by liro
Old 2009-03-29, 13:15   Link #5971
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Take the Fritz helmet. Implemented in WW2, to this day armies all over the world use the German WW2 helment design. Why? Because it works.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 13:21   Link #5972
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Take the Fritz helmet. Implemented in WW2, to this day armies all over the world use the German WW2 helment design. Why? Because it works.
I'll add the grandfather of all submachineguns as we know them, the Bergman MP18. Working so well it got banned by the Treaty of Versailles, even though the usefulness of this weapon category will never be denied in the decades to come.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-03-29 at 15:29. Reason: Jeep is not a good example
Old 2009-03-29, 13:24   Link #5973
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I'm surprised you didn't mention the M1911, Goose. You having an off day or something?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:48   Link #5974
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
Nope, that's because the M1911 has it's birthday some days back.

These is what I'm having at the moment (note, they're still WIP, and still subject to changes):

What is the 28th Independent Operations Squadron?

The unwilling saviour.

The unwilling compatriot.

Last edited by kct; 2009-03-29 at 19:48.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 20:02   Link #5975
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Hmm.

Looking over the shorts I've done, as well as SB's observations, I see things I do not like. If they weren't just silly crack, I would've pulled them down. But since they're quite cracky, I'm not that worried about it. Still, it's a path I'd rather not be known, or have Noland be known, for taking.

Remember folks, Noland x CC is non-canonical. KeroNoland however, is totally serious :3

With that cleared up, I go to write more Gospel

Last edited by Tempy; 2009-03-29 at 21:28.
Tempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 01:54   Link #5976
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

That means we're gonna see a KeroNolaXXXX RABU TRIANGLE as fanon?!

Zenryu Zenkai DO WANTO!

*blasts off at the speed of crack*

Old 2009-03-30, 04:36   Link #5977
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
> #5793
> #5818
> #5832

Triggerheart Appearances 3 of 4...

Spoiler for Triggerheart 03: Elise Lotus Ver 1.0A:

Note: I slowed down a bit in making this since i found new info that forced me to edit my two previous profiles.

still looks infodumpy to me...

any comments? suggestions? what?

OCTOCP

Last edited by Saint X; 2009-03-31 at 00:25. Reason: FORGOT THE TAG
Saint X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 06:15   Link #5978
kct

Send a message via MSN to kct
A Lotus (the carmaker) would always be special for us Malaysians.

Also, the chat log is a nice touch.
kct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 11:07   Link #5979
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, someone wanted a helmet for Mai so...

Also recolored Astaroth to match Mai's BJ, as per Nanoverse conventions

*Edit*

Replaced image with modified version after some OCC input

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2009-03-30 at 12:01.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 12:56   Link #5980
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Tactical Arms Mode BJ.... naisu....~

And still cast-offable - and in fact, makes casting off not unlike unwrapping a present-

*is shot repeatedly and then gutted by Mai's chainsword*

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content