AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-07-06, 01:36   Link #61
KidGusto

We just got back from Anime Expo 2004 this afternoon and have been trying to update our site. We had like 4 guys taking pictures so we have a shit load of pictures. Mostly cosplay girls heres the link

http://www.blackhaloinc.com/gallery/Anime-Expo-2004
KidGusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 01:40   Link #62
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
yes it certainly was...
walking 3-4 miles to get to the train station didn't help either (even though it was only 2 miles away...i got lost...)
Edit: NoSanninWa: he said (literally) "However you became tired, it was pleasant"
which i take to mean "It was fun, but tiring"
the translation i used could be wrong though
interestingly, NoSanninWa, your quote has gibberish in it for some reason 0_o
japanese is fun though~!

One thing that I did have a problem was that the convention centre the events were held were unhealthly over-air conditioned.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 02:50   Link #63
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidGusto
We just got back from Anime Expo 2004 this afternoon and have been trying to update our site. We had like 4 guys taking pictures so we have a shit load of pictures. Mostly cosplay girls heres the link

http://www.blackhaloinc.com/gallery/Anime-Expo-2004
Chick of the Expo = Ragnorok Girl in Black
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 11:41   Link #64
KidGusto

Oh yah I forgot to mention. On top of having the cosplay gallery we also have video clips of some of the cosplayers, the problem is we need a host for the videos. Imma try and upload the videos to my computer and encode them into smaller files like divx or something but we still need a host. If anybody knows of a free or cheap multimedia type host could you please email me at james@blackhaloinc.com or if you can host them yourself please email me. Cause if I dont find a host we going to use Streamload and for some reason I hate them.
KidGusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 13:24   Link #65
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
One thing that I did have a problem was that the convention centre the events were held were unhealthly over-air conditioned.
that's anaheim/california for ya...
a town built solely around a stadium and a theme park...oy...
you can't walk 5 feet without seeing a hotel! Or a disneyland shuttle!
>_<
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 19:54   Link #66
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
here are my uploaded AX 2004 pictures

http://groups.msn.com/Zoleta/animeexpo2004day1.msnw

I am in none of the pictures there

edit: Of all the pictures I think rosette one was the best. There where many Chrono Crusade Rosette cosplayers but this one was cute and hot also. It really didn't help that her costume was also the best made and the best designed.

edit2: Oops I would like to note that the gallery is 3 pages long, so the first page is not the whole thing
KristopherZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 01:09   Link #67
raspberihevn

Send a message via AIM to raspberihevn
I'm really curious about these "hideous" cosplayers everyone's been talking about. Hey I was there >< but I didn't see that many bad looking people (except for one Man Faye and two Yunas).
raspberihevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 09:34   Link #68
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Anime Expo 2004 was interesting to say the least. What shocked me was the huge number of licences this time around. I mean mega numbers. What this tells me is either Anime is finally catching on in this country, this was bound to happen eventually, or the companies are getting desperate. Hopefully the first is true and not the other two.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 11:53   Link #69
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
I'm glad I went all four days, but like kj1980 said it was over-airconditioned. I think I'm coming down with a cold because of all the waiting in line.

I also overdid the waiting in line stuff. I showed up at 8 am for masq tickets which were given out at 11, then I showed up at 5 pm for the seating line for masq which started at 8. I got the best seats available, just behind the GoH's. I honestly don't think it was worth it, next year I'll show up at the tail end of the masq tickets and bring binoculars. O'course, I'm a bit frustrated because the person in front of me was 6'5" tall, and the person next to me was fat fat fat and spilling over to my seat and sitting with his legs splayed. And just to get it off my chest,
Spoiler for foul language:

Anyways, the charity auction was fun again. The biggest sellers (over $1000) were mostly for Last Exile, and also a good number were for ROD TV. I didn't know they were so popular. Gungrave and Submarine 707 each got one over $2000. The biggest seller was a gorgeous one from Wolf's Rain... a color sketch of wolf Kiba and Cheza sold for $8000

I was surpised that a video room once has a huge line... it was for the showing of GitS SAC. Did AX advertise that anime was showing or something?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 14:20   Link #70
raspberihevn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious

Anyways, the charity auction was fun again. The biggest sellers (over $1000) were mostly for Last Exile, and also a good number were for ROD TV. I didn't know they were so popular. Gungrave and Submarine 707 each got one over $2000. The biggest seller was a gorgeous one from Wolf's Rain... a color sketch of wolf Kiba and Cheza sold for $8000

curious
I posted up auction pictures from AX. Only problem is that geocities has bandwidth problem so please visit later.
Old 2004-07-07, 16:29   Link #71
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberihevn
I posted up auction pictures from AX. Only problem is that geocities has bandwidth problem so please visit later.
Excellent pictures, it was great to see them again. How did you take them? I was worried about getting yelled at, so I only took pictures of my favorite ones... Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar and Wolf's Rain. ^_^

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 16:37   Link #72
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberihevn
Why don't you upload the pictures to www.imageshack.us and link them from a geocities site? You'll save bandwith with that because you'll only need to create thumbnails of the pics.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 16:39   Link #73
raspberihevn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
Excellent pictures, it was great to see them again. How did you take them? I was worried about getting yelled at, so I only took pictures of my favorite ones... Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar and Wolf's Rain. ^_^

-k

curious
You can TAKE pictures you just can't take FLASH pictures. I thought everyone knew that >< but now you know ;p
Old 2004-07-07, 18:28   Link #74
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Look in the Anime Expo 2004 website http://www.anime-expo.org/index2004.html

25,000+ Attendees

This must be the biggest expo in NA
Old 2004-07-07, 18:37   Link #75
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
Look in the Anime Expo 2004 website http://www.anime-expo.org/index2004.html

25,000+ Attendees

This must be the biggest expo in NA
i think i read that Comic Con San Diego had more than that last year, having a quarter to half-mile long line (from the convention center to Seaport Village) on Saturday for just the people who weren't already registered and came in the morning...
Old 2004-07-07, 18:39   Link #76
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I fear the Anime Expo 2015. Please tell me the pope will not attend

Heh, only those who've read 20th Century Boys will get that.

Back on topic, that is a helluvan amount of both attendees and licenses. I didn't go to this one myself, but I'm sure it would have been pretty exciting!
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 19:11   Link #77
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
I fear the Anime Expo 2015. Please tell me the pope will not attend

Heh, only those who've read 20th Century Boys will get that.

Back on topic, that is a helluvan amount of both attendees and licenses. I didn't go to this one myself, but I'm sure it would have been pretty exciting!
when i went i got lost and ended up in front of the same booth about 3-4 times ^_^
it was pretty big (Comic Con is bigger, imo)
Old 2004-07-08, 00:24   Link #78
Sephon
Inrecognizable lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Sephon
http://groups.msn.com/Zoleta/animeex...oto&PhotoID=46

That girl above is called Meroko from Full Moon Sagashite.
Just had to mention that since I saw a cosplayer of her several times, but always called "Girl in red" :P

Awsome pics though, thanks for sharing people!
Sephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 00:33   Link #79
raspberihevn

I would like to share my days at AX. Thank goodness I took time to write them down because by now I would've forgotten the sequence of events that occurred.

Day 1~
2 guy crossdressers really stood out. (1) A 5'9" male in a Yuna FFX2 costume with short spandex shorts. I have to give him credit, he tried his best to work it. (2) A 5'3" male in a school girl plaid skirt, green blazer, and red necktie. He had long straight brown hair, glued on nails, and loose socks. Everything about him said "femininity" however when I saw his legs (they weren't slender but somewhat muscular) I knew it was a guy. His legs were dark, not hairless (but not hairy), and wrinkled-guy feet in sandles. Man I should've taken a pic of him. He walked by people and no one knew.
Not much happened on the first day. The anime music video contest was average. The video I really wanted to win didn't ><;

Day2~
Let me start off with the bad then I'll move onto the good.
The panels were quite disappointing (only one worth going to was the Read Or Die panel; hilarious and fun). They lacked attendees. I believe it's because the older generation has either moved on or left AX for PMX. The ones that attend are entry-level otakus who don't know jackshit from good anime. It is as I feared, AX may be the biggest convention in the U.S. (people all over the states fly in during Independence weekend) but its respectability has lessened, I'm even feeling weary -_- No respect for the guest of honors. No interest in different kinds of genre and good quality animes except the popular ones that everyone watches.
Gossip of the Day: Man Faye Valentine (yes the one and only who dares to wear such tight shorts!) was seen walking near?into? a Christian convention last night. He was accosted by security and charged with indecenct exposure. This morning he was surrounded by attendees and he retold his story. "They told me to change my outfit. I wore this same outfit last year, why should I change? They said they're sending me to jail. Thank you everyone for listening to my story. I'm so happy to have you as my supporters. That you care about me." I'm like o_O er?
Boy1: That's not fair. You wore that costume last year. They can't do that to you.
Man Faye: Yes, that's exactly what I told security.
Boy2: But there are sites dedicated to you.
Man Faye: Yes from Germany to France.. there are sites of me all over the world.
Me: o_o? >_> psst Arashi, what is this about?
My thoughts~ Man Faye's expression, movements, and words all conveyed his ignorance. He truly believed he is America's icon. That he means something to the cosplayers out there. And all I could think of was locating that Boy #2 and smack him on the head. Why did he have to give him a bigger ego by sounding like he IS an icon? The sites are not dedicated to him but made to make fun of him. Can someone tell me o_o why is he so dense =_=
Moving onwards- "NARUTO CON!" shouts all the Naruto fans at 3:00pm sharp. Everyone has been whispering about the gathering since yesterday. Such adrenaline! Someone estimated 170 Naruto cosplayers will gather today at 3pm (probably got the info from EZ board; I didn't count) and it was HUGE! Right on cue, people stopped what they were doing, and followed the crowd of deliriously jolly Naruto cosplayers to gather at the center of the convention center. From balcony to stairs to floor, we all stood there as excited as children, waiting eagerly in anticipation... for something to happen. (Haha reading this paragraph I am reminded of the pied piper, it sounds quite cultic huh?) All too soon, the staff disbursed the crowd. Said we were causing a fire hazard -_- which was true, and ushered (screamed and threatened to push) everyone who blocked the stairs and floor. But what great fun. We just moved from the convention center to the quad outside.
Highlight of the Day: RAMEN AND RICE!!!! Oh it doesn't feel like AX when they're not around. Call me superstitious but seeing them gave me hope. When they're around, it livens up AX. Who are Ramen and Rice? They are two very talented sisters. The older sister plays the violin and the younger sister plays the cello. Together they make the most beautiful music. Any requests for RPG, anime, or movie songs, they will play it. I missed them so much! I saw them earlier today but I thought they were just cosplaying and enjoying the convention. But lo and behold, a great circle was formed around the sisters, bright eyed, attentive, and eager, "we" sat quietly and respectfully as they played one song after the next *_*

Day 3~
The day flew by all too quickly. Going to the Tomokazu Seki panel (voice actor for Van Fanel, Chichiri, Sagara Sousuke, Keisuke Takahashi, Kyo Souma) took the entire day! I already knew his panel would be the most popular. Due to lack of time, attendees were asked to write questions before entering the panel. We were most anxious to hear his "Chichiri" voice and his popular "no-da" ^^ Autograph signing was a pure delight.
Surprisingly masquerade wasn't bad. Petshop of Horror put on a fabulously well choreographed show; skits of Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, and Final Fantasy had me laughing till my sides hurt and my throat hoarse; the best two pieces came last (it was every boy's dream come true). Immediately the male audience stood up and waited in anticipation for the robots of the year. Their omgs and hoots echoed.
1. The Autobot Project's "Optimus Prime" had us standing and jaw dropping. It was a huge home made robot with blinking lights and shiny body. His little skit was about "being the better vehicle than Initial D". He tore apart a cardboard "Initial D" car while slowly and with difficulty transforming from a blue little box vehicle into the powerful Optimus Prime. It towered so high, 3 male staff members surrounded him, in case he tips over from his little dancing ^^ He could move the hands, bend the knees, and rotate the head.
2. Gundam was incredible!! The guy flew in from Japan just to attend the masquerade. This guy came with a weapon on his back and he looked so damn real! Everything about it looked high quality; it was labeled as "the dancing robot" a pun from AMV the night before "Football", a reference to Strong Bad's song called "Techno."
Special of the Day: Little Girl Last Exile "Al". Such a sweetie with her dimply smile and her huggable softness.

Every Otaku shouldn't be without when attending a large Con: (A) a cellphone or a 2 mile radius walkie talkie and (B) a digital camera. If you don't have these essential items, please latch yourself to someone who does, so you can fully enjoy all the benefits a Con will provide.
Day4~
I was going through a bit of withdraw. I didn't plan on going to the last day, since there wasn't anything that particularly interested me, but it was such a hot day, I used that reason to go one last time before I have to wait another year for this event. I'm very glad I did. I spent a very enjoyable afternoon at the charity auction, woo-ing and ah-ing along with the audience. Pretty bummed that I can never win an auction because there will always be someone who will outbid me. I had my eye on Last Exile "Dio/Deuce" piece. I bid for $800 >[ some idiot won it for $1000 ;_;
Old 2004-07-08, 17:19   Link #80
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i think i read that Comic Con San Diego had more than that last year, having a quarter to half-mile long line (from the convention center to Seaport Village) on Saturday for just the people who weren't already registered and came in the morning...
Well, It is a fact that Comic Con is more popular. It is a comic book convention, the first thing that pops in mind for a comic convention is american comics. I am not a fan of american comics nor am I a fan of a comic book convention.

I meant to say that for anime conventions AX is probably the biggest one

Tags
conventions