AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-28, 16:00   Link #181
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel
So for us poor deprived ones out there who have yet to see any Macross stuff yet (yes we exist, though our numbers dwindle quicker than WWII vets), would we be better off watching Macross Zero before Macross or not?

In other words, is Macross Zero a prequel that can only be properly understood/appreciated after seeing original Macross, or would it be okay to go Macross Zero -> Macross?

Yep. you can watch it in any order YOU LIKE! the best tihng about Macross that if you haven't seen any of the previous series, you will still enjoy it.

It series can stand on it's own, or watched in chronicle order.
(edit: oh wait! except Macross Dynamite and Macross 7: The Galaxy is Calling me! episode special)

personally, when i re-watch the macross universe again (make that in a weeks time, cos i only watched them 3 times this year.)
I wil lbe watching them from Macross Zero to Macross Dynamite -> Macross Trash (manga)

It's gonna be a weekend of fun!! (No i don't have any friends *sob* besides anime and b33r! ehehehheh )
Old 2004-10-28, 16:07   Link #182
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, it helps to watch Macross before Macross 7.

Macross Zero doesn't have much to do with the other Macross series, however maybe if you watch Zero first then Macross, you may wonder why the Valkyrie in Macross doesn't look as good as those in Zero
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 17:34   Link #183
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I'm rather pleased with the ending, though it did seem rushed in both the story and animation department. It would have been much better had the episode been about twice as long. As it was, they just kept jumping from scene to scene.

As for glyph's spoiler tagged comment:

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-28, 17:36   Link #184
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, it helps to watch Macross before Macross 7.

Macross Zero doesn't have much to do with the other Macross series, however maybe if you watch Zero first then Macross, you may wonder why the Valkyrie in Macross doesn't look as good as those in Zero

Well, the VF-1 Valkyries were designed way back in the early 80's. When they made Macross Zero they decided to make the VF-0 larger, bulkier, and more ungainly. If you prefere that in your mecha, well, it cannot be helped that the VF-1 Valkyries were sleeker and more refined looking.
Old 2004-10-28, 18:27   Link #185
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
VF-Zero have more resemblance to modern day millitary aircrafts then VF-1's.
They just look better cos they animation quality is better, it can't be helped. but if you look at the detailed designs of the VF-1 compared to the VF-0 you can clearly see that mechanically and design wise the vf-1 are much more efficient, doing away the restraints that atmospheric aircrafts had.
ah... pardon my Otakunese....

Old 2004-10-29, 01:43   Link #186
ultramantaro

I was quite impressed by the final episode but I too must echo the ending is a bit short. At the very least they should be able to stretch another episode.

Unfortunately this didn't have a "happy" ending unlike the original unless you are a Minmay fan.
ultramantaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 01:43   Link #187
FlyByNite

Quote:
well, there are different interpretations of the ending
Spoiler:

Spoiler for anti-UN forces:
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 02:19   Link #188
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 08:34   Link #189
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Personally,
Spoiler:

On another issue,
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 16:01   Link #190
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I thought it was the most beautiful piece of film I've ever seen

Is it safe to say that
Spoiler:
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 16:23   Link #191
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
I thought it was the most beautiful piece of film I've ever seen

Is it safe to say that
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 16:32   Link #192
Alterscape

Spoiler:
Alterscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 21:11   Link #193
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I'll go with Alterscape 's version since I unerstood the same thing from seeing the episode. So call me a hopless romantic too .
Otherwise, nice episode and great OAV alltogether, the best fighting scenes ever, and a story that might not have been great but that was realy decent and did it's job well.
The only drawback is that now I'll never be able to appreciate regular's anime mecha fighting scenes as much .

HOORAY FOR MACROSS
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 21:28   Link #194
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Not enough blood for me. But I am damn happy when I see a Monster MK 2 MAC deployed. Those artillery mechas is beautiful.

Storywise, Zero lacks a lot of development, especially the Russian group. The superlative animation is a good compensation.
Old 2004-10-30, 00:21   Link #195
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Just watched the first 3 episodes... It is ok, nothing great about them. Yeah good graphics... so what? who cares. The story is prety lame. But the action secuenses are pretty good. Of course, in my opinion they are no way better than the ones in scrapped princess so far.

Gotta love that fanservice...

I wonder why people give good ratings to almost every anime with good graphics, cute characters, or a pretty good intro/ending song, when the story line, which is the main part isn't outstanding at all.

Samurai 7 anyone?

We are sooo shallow... Including me of curse... I watched Elfen Lied too, and loved its fanservice, its blood and cute naked gilrs...
Old 2004-10-30, 02:02   Link #196
Phych

Like everyone else said, I love the fighting sequences but the story sucked.
It would have been kewl to see some sort of flash forward of Minmay & Rick & the others...or at least a scene w/ SDF-1 at the end or something.
Phych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 03:13   Link #197
arias

Like many of the earlier posts said; Sara's faith and hope guided Shin to become a "Birdhuman" to fly (despite the wrecked engine, boosters etc); to wherever it may be. One thinks, and hopes, that it is a search and eventual reunion with Sara. Watching it again, it really probably is the case.. since you see his plane flying vertically up into space.

I for one thought that Macross Zero was very promising from chapter 1-4.. of course the story was abit flimsy; the characters were not really well developed, but there were parts that were truly beautiful and artistic. And I don't mean only the awesome battle scenes; anyone remember the Maya Island? The waters and everything.. it was awesome. There was alot of attention paid to detail in the animation for the first few chapters; lighting, sound, the peace of the islands.. all very beautiful.

Chapter 5 had pretty good animation when compared to other OVAs, but it was a letdown compared to it's earlier episodes. I was expecting something truly spectacular. However, the battle scenes are rendered so beautifully they might just match up to Ghost in the Shell 2.

The story sucked. Chapter 5 just got on my nerves.. could you believe that I actually skipped through most of it because it was too formulaic? The pace, presentation, structure, and character interaction was just too weak. I was THOROUGHLY shocked that I waited 6 months for such an episode. I was expecting a blast, but I just shook my head in disappointment.

Honestly it had so much potential.. not to forget, one of the MOST beautiful songs I've EVER heard in my life. The ending song played for Chapter 01 and Chapter 05.. the one sung in French. It promises such an epic tale but instead what we get is a hashed plot. I've heard that this is the most expensive OVA ever created; costing around US$10 million or more.. I wish they could've put more money on the script; and that the director, no offence to Shoji Kawamori, could have been more skilled.

Ahh.. T__T. It's just sad.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 08:11   Link #198
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

While I agree that the final chapter seemed rushed, I would hardly say that the story sucked, or that it was rehashed. Sure, maybe it takes a lot of the premise from The Day the Earth Stood Still, but even so that's not exactly a commonly used premise, especially in this day and age.

And certainly the story was very untypical of a Macross show, yet retaining Macross' main themes of hope, peaceful solutions to conflict, and the idea that mankind will survive.

The series was really too short to develope more than a couple characters, but those that it did, it pulled off decently, if not spectacularly like a longer show such as Macross 7. DD and Nora were never main characters, you might as well complain that Col. Millard from Macross Plus was under developed, or the poachers Dynamite 7.

Overall, I rather liked the story and characters, right up to and including the end. I do, however, agree that it would have been even better had the episode been twice as long, or split into two episodes.

To those still speculating about the origins and purpose of the Bird Human, I can only reccomend you go watch SDF Macross, Do You Remember Love? and Macross 7, all of wich give more insight into the Protoculture.

As for the future of the survivors of Macross Zero...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-30, 15:46   Link #199
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

interesting comments, I thought the last episode saved the ova since it seemed to take a downturn around episode 3 & 4. I've watched a lot of anime and very few of them are able to have any sort of good endings, except the quality ones of course like the kenshin ovas and even macross plus. Macross Zero was high up there too.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 18:00   Link #200
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
Beautiful ending, stunning animation, and awesome fight scenes. The characters could use more screen time since they all have a lot of potential, especially DD Ivanov. About the Bird Human... it looks too much like a Peacemaker from another series to me, but i don't complain since that scene is so awesome.
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote