AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-10-16, 20:42   Link #5001
FalsePrime

I don't really agree with the Ship issues.

I do agree that at this stage that there are some serious issues that should take the fore front when it comes to story concerns that are much more important then Ships.

If you can say you are a fan of Frozen Teardrop, and enjoy the storyline then sure, the Ship thing can be a problem, for both the Straight and Gay community. Thing is I find it hard to believe that there are many Relena/Heero or Heero/Duo that can look me straight in the eye and say that they really believe the sexual partner for any character so far is really the biggest issue they have with this Novel.

Granted I've never really had a Wing ship so I can't really sympathize with either group on this one. Still I support shippers, and really wish we had a story that was good enough to base a ship on.
FalsePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 20:43   Link #5002
Eeni

Wow... I don't check up on this for a day or two and a whole fire storms rages without me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
Shipping has no place in intelligent conversation.
Of course it does! Don't tell me you weren't rooting for some characters to hook up while first watching the series. I know I was rooting for Une & Traize (I yelled at the TV when Traize kicked the bucket). And I kinnda did want Heero & Relena to end up together, but now, 15 years later, I'm glad that the series left it open. Relena is committed to her long and arduous job and Heero probably disappeared from her life... bittersweet methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
I'm not trying to dis any displeased shippers. It's everyone's right to dislike something for whatever reason. But talking only about how 1x2 or 5xS has been sunk, when we have meowing mobile suits(/armors?) flying around and Duo and Wu Fei behaving like your standard anime cliché, is making one's criticism seem rather ...mindless.
Yes, these are much more important plot points that need some attention/fixing. Just like the random titbits like Jr. liking to file his nails (I swear he better stab someone with that file at some point, or else that kind of information is maddening and pointless to include).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
By the way, was it said that Trowa had no offspring? I know it was stated for Quatre (at least that he wasn't married). 'Cause, you know, I'm still trying to figure out where Phobos came from.
Phobos, as well as Jr., are the offspring of Trowa & Duo's long lost siblings that were not mentioned in either the series or any of the novels. And by some miraculous twist of fate, they have now been picked up by their long lost uncles! So far, it seems the only logical explanation

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 00:32   Link #5003
Skye629

Hmmm the only reason I ever check this thread is in the hopes of finally seeing all of the new mobile suits revealed....even though I hate the new gundams in FT in a way
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 12:11   Link #5004
FalsePrime

What? Why would you hate the Gundams? Thus far we've only seen one and while I can understand disliking it for being to close to Heavyarms Kai, the rest we've been given no real reason to love or hate them.

Last edited by FalsePrime; 2012-10-17 at 12:42.
Old 2012-10-17, 17:50   Link #5005
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
Wow... I don't check up on this for a day or two and a whole fire storms rages without me.
what am I supposed to say? I went away for summer and when I come back, people are bellydancing their way through space in persian storytellers on a keyboard while classical music plays and obnoxious fairies cause a racket. And that's not even the worst of it

Quote:
Yes, these are much more important plot points that need some attention/fixing. Just like the random titbits like Jr. liking to file his nails (I swear he better stab someone with that file at some point, or else that kind of information is maddening and pointless to include).
His actual hobby might be filing his nails into triangles because he is a bit strange, and the whole reason why we were told is because he will save the day at some point by either using them to pick a lock, or running someone through with them. Or there will come a time when the plot cannot advance unless someone has well kept nails. You see, there is no way this was an absolutely pointless bit of information, no. This will be very important to the plot about 3 years from now. ...

Quote:
Phobos, as well as Jr., are the offspring of Trowa & Duo's long lost siblings that were not mentioned in either the series or any of the novels. And by some miraculous twist of fate, they have now been picked up by their long lost uncles! So far, it seems the only logical explanation
*smacks forehead* of course, why did i not pick up on this?
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 21:56   Link #5006
Tendou Souji

You guys do know that authors used to always add their characters likes and dislikes to things? Back when anime characters actually had character and personality instead of just being archetypes and waifus in the 70's, 80's and 90's authors used to tell what their characters likes and dislikes were all the time. Even in the early 00's this was true. Oda who created One Piece did this with all of the Straw Hats. We know Nami loves Tangerines and Money due to Oda telling us this and showing it to us. We know Luffy loves meat and is a terrible liar because of that too. Sailor Moon is especially famous for this. We know the favorite foods and most hated foods of the characters. Wing, Sailor Moon and One Piece are all 90's products. This was popular back then. I swear, you guys like to whine just to whine. Instead of taking this as humanizing the characters you whine about it.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 02:41   Link #5007
Eeni

I love you Faerie <3

Quote:
You guys do know that authors used to always add their characters likes and dislikes to things? Back when anime characters actually had character and personality instead of just being archetypes and waifus in the 70's, 80's and 90's authors used to tell what their characters likes and dislikes were all the time. Even in the early 00's this was true. Oda who created One Piece did this with all of the Straw Hats. We know Nami loves Tangerines and Money due to Oda telling us this and showing it to us. We know Luffy loves meat and is a terrible liar because of that too. Sailor Moon is especially famous for this. We know the favorite foods and most hated foods of the characters. Wing, Sailor Moon and One Piece are all 90's products. This was popular back then. I swear, you guys like to whine just to whine. Instead of taking this as humanizing the characters you whine about it.
Of course I know, can't forget about knowing the characters' blood type, height, weight and all that other goodies. I just get so antsy and annoyed at the randomness of FT that when lil titbits like those show up its maddening and frustrating because it doen't help move the story (whatever story there is) along.

On a seperate note, where there ever any character bios for Wing that included their likes and dislikes and blood types and all that other fun stuff? All I remember was the basic height, weight, eye color, etc.

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Old 2012-10-18, 13:25   Link #5008
Tendou Souji

Move the story along? We just had months of backstory. This was literally the first chapter in the present since like Spring. This chapter had Snow White show off new abilities, Fenrir agree to help Quatre and Phobos, Naina and Fenrir back story, 3 mobile suits revealed and a fight set up for next chapter so we can possibly see one of the 3 Gundam. I recall someone saying Warlock lost the cloak. This chapter was packed with stuff. Whether you like it or not is a different story.
Old 2012-10-18, 16:00   Link #5009
Mkam

Quote:
Move the story along? We just had months of backstory. This was literally the first chapter in the present since like Spring. This chapter had Snow White show off new abilities, Fenrir agree to help Quatre and Phobos, Naina and Fenrir back story, 3 mobile suits revealed and a fight set up for next chapter so we can possibly see one of the 3 Gundam. I recall someone saying Warlock lost the cloak. This chapter was packed with stuff. Whether you like it or not is a different story.

speaking of which, do we have a full translation yet?
Mkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 20:41   Link #5010
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Eeni, I'm blushing... <3

No, Wing didn't have bios with that kind of info, I don't think. Shame, really, it would've been fun to know. Come to think of it, I don't think many (or any?) Gundam shows had this...
But shows still do this today, it's not a thing of the past at all <.< it's still just as common.

The weird bit about this particular piece of info is just how out of place it seems- thrown as a gag in a TV series it makes more sense. As is, it sounds fanfic like. And FT is fanfic like enough already. ("And then horrible things happened. Heroine must die at hands of hero. War and tragedy. Giant robots. Also, Duo's fingernails." ... um!?)

...Also... the pleasure this kid gets from filing his nails....? TMI!! In my book, tmi...
Old 2012-10-19, 02:27   Link #5011
Eeni

Quote:
I will be frank, I take umbradege with FT as it. Then Sumizawa tries to expand on Preventer 5 story, which in my opinion, was already a fanficy-like story. The way the situation was dealt with in the original story itself (in Ep.0 manga) was soooooo farfetched, round about, and very counter intuitive to what we know of the pilots that it just felt wrong and out of place, kinnda forced, like when you have those filler episodes in which all the cast of an anime go to hang out at the beach/ hot spring/ spring break/ (insert random event time here) for no significant, plot developing reason.

Sure, you can say we got the formal introduction of Noin's bat-crazy brother as the new evil-doer who isn't happy with the way the war turned out (and as Mariemaia had shown, not many people were). But really, why MUST he have been someone that the pilots had meet 30 years prior to the current story? No one did anything/ recognized him when he became president of the Mars Federation? I would have thought that at least WuFei, whom I though is working for the government would have said something. "hey, higher-ups, I don't talk to you often, you might think this is crazy, but I meet that guy once, and he's evil, we need to take him out..."

Warlock lost it's Jedi cloak, we'll probably get art of one of the other MS suit (and I don't mean gundams)... We were trolled for a good 2 years before getting HeavyAr-, I mean, Prometheus.

And I totally got sidetracked with all the odd ends of this story, but how did Jr.'s obsession with filing his nails help the story progress?

Has anyone else wondered why Noin goes by Noin and not the family Noinheim name?

Last edited by Eeni; 2012-10-19 at 02:52.
Old 2012-10-19, 04:53   Link #5012
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Has anyone else wondered why Noin goes by Noin and not the family Noinheim name?
actually, I'v wondered why she would still go by either considering she got married and she doesn't strike me as the family name retaining type. Then again, it's probably for convenience's sake xD

I must've missed the bit about Dixneuf's backstory though. What was that? On the topic of no one saying anything though... it could be explained away with that pesky attitude of humans, where they don't believe anything is bad until it actually goes bad in their face. With a knife in their eyeball. And no one ever believes poor Cassandra delivering the news. Wufei or someone may well have said something but people were all "no, what do you know, grumpy old ex terrorist kid! We know so much better and will see for ourselves because that worked so well before!"
I'd have thought Zechs to object though, somehow. I mean, if my brother in law insisted on pretending to be me, I'd uh, probably be a bit mad, for obvious and awkward reasons?
The thing about FT is though, as insane and bad as it is... at least it's funny.
Old 2012-10-19, 06:38   Link #5013
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Spoiler for Mars Suits details:
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 18:19   Link #5014
Eeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
actually, I'v wondered why she would still go by either considering she got married and she doesn't strike me as the family name retaining type. Then again, it's probably for convenience's sake xD

I must've missed the bit about Dixneuf's backstory though. What was that? On the topic of no one saying anything though... it could be explained away with that pesky attitude of humans, where they don't believe anything is bad until it actually goes bad in their face. With a knife in their eyeball. And no one ever believes poor Cassandra delivering the news. Wufei or someone may well have said something but people were all "no, what do you know, grumpy old ex terrorist kid! We know so much better and will see for ourselves because that worked so well before!"
I'd have thought Zechs to object though, somehow. I mean, if my brother in law insisted on pretending to be me, I'd uh, probably be a bit mad, for obvious and awkward reasons?
The thing about FT is though, as insane and bad as it is... at least it's funny.
HA! I didn't even think of her changing her name to whatever Zechs goes by these days. Lucrezia Wind? No, the kids go by Peacecraft so it's Lucrezia Peacecraft. And then I go back to thinking about the beginning of this story to where she was at the funeral of deceased Mars President Miliardo Peacecraft and how it appeared that everyone thought she was that guy's wife..? I'm still a bit confused about this... Can anyone help clear this up?

As for the pilots, I was under the impression that the general public doesn't know who any of the gundam pilots where. I mean, other then Duo, who's face was plastered all over wanted posters and TV but apparently everyone seems to have forgotten this because according to Kathy there are no records/pics of any of the gundam pilots except this really grainy film footage of a kid named Duo Maxwell giving an introductory speak to his fellow class mates.

Old 2012-10-19, 19:10   Link #5015
Morniel_Moonlit

TLR but I just kinda wanted to get my two cents in...

Looking through things, there was never much posted for the pilots. Relena is the only one who has a birthday listed and the only reason we can know the years the characters were born was due to the fact we know their age.

Noin, we don't really know how important she is for Mars, the lack of last name can be several things, perhaps she kept her maiden name for professional reasons or she did change the name and uses one for work and the other for private matters
Spoiler for stuff people proably all ready know OTL:

As for her going by Noin instead of Noinheim, maybe she was distancing herself from her family? Didn't someone mention she disagreed with her father at some point? (Good move from the looks of things though...)

Then with going back and forth... I just kinda wish this was broken up more, do the Sequel as a Sequel and do the Prolog as the Prolog @_@ I was always curious about the first Heero Yuy and things like the Zero System but this is frustrating to suddenly swap eras such as they are.

Though I do wonder if the writer is like Anno from Gainax, give Anno is anti-depressants and he writes His and Her Circumstances, take them away and you get Evangelion O_o
Morniel_Moonlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:17   Link #5016
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

So... Naina is the little red riding hood and Duo Jr. is the wolf, huh? Does that make Mille the hunter and Relena the grandma?

Quote:
I never saw Dorothy and Quatre as romantic.[...]
Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I was not trying to suggest that either Quatre or Trowa were romantically involved with anyone. What I was trying to get at was that your statement "3x4 is the only male on male pairing that had any chance of happening in the first place since they never really had girls in the show" is not entirely true, from a writer's perspective. In the TV series, all the pilots had a female counterpart, regardless whether they were romantic interests or not (which, aside from Catherine, is difficult to tell, because nothing is ever clarified).

Even though I highly doubt it was meant to be taken in a romantic way, the writers did go out of their way to provide a bonding moment between Quatre and Dorothy, which, judged objectively, overshadows all of the two protagonists' scenes combined (which does not mean though that they're a couple. It just means shipping them wouldn't be completely off the wall).

Personally, I don't see Quatre being romantically interested in Dorothy (though she might like him; after all, she just stabbed him, yet he tells Trowa to go help her). But claiming Quatre is gay because "he was given no girl" in the show, when the writers give us an option who's not "taken" by anyone else yet, is inane. Heck, such a reason is stupid in general.

As for Trowa, again, I wasn't trying to say that he'd end up with Middie. Much less that he fathered Phobos with her. xD All I wanted to say is that the writers provided a possible love interest for him; interestingly enough the same time Catherine, his female counterpart in the series, was revealed to be is his sister, thus scratching her from the list. And we're not talking about subtle hints either. Middie full out admits (to the reader only) that she loves him. Her and Noin are the only ones in the series to do so. Personal opinion aside, why would the writer insist on such a strong image? Middie could've just as well been only there, without the whole romance thing. It didn't add anything to Trowa's character. And I'm sure it would have been believable still, if Middie helped him only out of gratitude and guilt and not love as well.
As such I'm inclined to believe Sumizawa was more or less pushing for those two. The fact that Middie, unlike every other character introduced in EZ, could still be alive is another pretty big hint, too.

That's not to say that I want to read something about Middie randomly waltzing into Trowa's life and them hooking up in FT. I agree, that would be insanely stupid. But it's not difficult to weave her into a coherent story. She was a spy for the Alliance; Sally was an officer. They could have known each other and worked together after OZ's coup d'état. I always wondered how Sally found those Gundams anyway... And this way she could be connected to Preventer in the future. It's simple enough, really.

Quote:
So anyone shipping Trowa with anyone is kind of missing the point of his character.
Dude, I'd be careful with this sort of statement. "I'm a traveler looking for a home to return to" can be interpreted a number of ways. One being that he wants a family. And I don't think sibling bonds are the first thing one has in mind when talking about family. (And yes, I'm completely disregarding FT's characterizations, since I feel everybody is being an insufferable drama queen >_>)

Quote:
I honestly feel that Phobos is a clone of Trowa. Trowa was in OZ for a bit so they could have had DNA.
lol That would even make sense. Lady Une was quite fond of her "excellent subordinate." Cloning one, when the original is gone, is one way to fill the gap.

Quote:
And I fundamentally disagree that shipping concerns cannot be part of intelligent conversation where they are relevant to plot or character progression. Now, fangirling, is a totally different thing. Hence why I say fangirling=/ shipping.
QFT What many people don't realize, thanks to Sturgeon's Law and hormonal teenagers, is that romance in whatever series does not only have to be present just to please shippers, but can be used as an effective device to actually develop and expand two characters. Of course, you can do that without getting anyone romantically involved, but it's not a poor choice either (if done correctly).

Quote:
In the case of FT, honestly, I don't think anything could ever save it Now, if Quatre and Dorothy had 20 clinically insane babies on the other hand... I kid, I kid.
Yes! The Angry Ponies Corps! An elite group of crazy MS pilots who zip around and destroy everything with their ZERO system enhanced mind powers. But reeling them in again is a bit tricky, so they're Plan B, in case Operation Mythos fails. :P
(btw I'm so adding this to our list)

Quote:
Just like the random titbits like Jr. liking to file his nails (I swear he better stab someone with that file at some point, or else that kind of information is maddening and pointless to include).
Eeni, have you seen everyone's nails? The entire freaking cast is into manicure! xD Just look at these hands:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
... ... ...

*shrug* Yep, makes more sense than any other explanation given so far.

Quote:
Because retconning a character's name would leave people even more upset than with the Odin ordeal? Or because Noinheim sounds even worse than Lucrezia?
But joking aside, I believe it was said somewhere that Noin didn't like her folks much (no wonder, with such a creep of a bro ), so she did that to cut ties..? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember the explanation making sense. At least I'm sure it wasn't something like "she was found in a cardboard box at the grocery store and taken home, but since she wasn't a full-blooded family member, she was given only half the name."

Quote:
On the topic of Zechs, what exactly were him and Noin doing on Mars all the time, aside from making babies and thinking up silly aliases for Zechs, while Dixneuf was about freezing important politicians and forming armies and trying to claim control of pretty much the entire habitable solar system???

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2012-10-24 at 15:06. Reason: pic wasn't showing
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 20:26   Link #5017
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

edit: hngkl Ikuze, you posted while i wrote. Not ignoring you, replying tomorrow ^__^ must sleep first.

Quote:
HA! I didn't even think of her changing her name to whatever Zechs goes by these days. Lucrezia Wind? No, the kids go by Peacecraft so it's Lucrezia Peacecraft. And then I go back to thinking about the beginning of this story to where she was at the funeral of deceased Mars President Miliardo Peacecraft and how it appeared that everyone thought she was that guy's wife..? I'm still a bit confused about this... Can anyone help clear this up?
yeah, I don't think there would be any records of the pilots, that would be odd and dangerous and not very good for anyone, I'd imagine. Awkward for Preventer too; "yes, we entrusted your security to this here terrorist!". I mean, they are, in the end, pretty much terrorists, twist it as you want.

LOL @Lucrezia Wind. Poor thing must go by: Lucrezia "I don't know my own name" (Wind) of Cyrene. How this woman does not slap that man first thing every morning I will never understand. Jokes aside, it should officially be Lucrezia Peacecraft though, as you've said, since the kids seem to be called that.

The thing with Mars President Milliardo was really weird, kind of gag-inducing and to this day I keep trying to follow the story while forgetting about it -.-
So, Dixneuf was posing as Milliardo. Meaning her brother was pretending to be her husband, for some very strange reason that I don't think Sumizawa cared to tell us about. Which is so disturbing, I am disturbed all over again.
And why they allowed him to do so and went along with it, I would honestly like to know. Because wtf.
If anyone has any good explanations, please

Morniel_Moonlit: Are you somehow implying that KareKano isn't just as disturbing as EVA, just in a casual setting? xD Difference here is, Anno is great, meds or not. Sumizawa seems to just always be strange.... ....

I'm thinking the same as you btw, and since they called her Noin the whole show, they can't really change it now. Plus, Noin is easier than Lucrezia, even though I think it's awkward that they keep calling her by her last name, when everyone else is addressed by first names. I also think, people tend to forget her first name isn't Noin though
Old 2012-10-19, 21:53   Link #5018
FalsePrime

If anything Zechs and Noin likely went along with it because Dix acted as a shield of sorts for Relena.

So long as he was alive and acting president of Mars regardless of what his name was it kept Relena frozen and for the most part safe. However the moment he was offed they woke her up.

Dix would be easily expendable in Zech's eyes and given he was just a retcon into Noin's life it would be very easy to explain that she allowed it to happen given how much she cares and tries to watch over Relena.

Now if Sumizawa uses this excuse or not I have no idea. If he did though then I think it's perfectly reasonable that Zech's would go for given he likely would never want to lead and doesn't want to go by the name Milliardo anymore.
Old 2012-10-20, 15:07   Link #5019
Morniel_Moonlit

@ Skull Fairy Yea... that last episode of KareKano when they sacked Anno... gods! XD
Well in Episode Zero Noin told Treize to call her Noin since there is no gender on the battlefield, and yea she's been using that name this long... it's just how people know her and people do the same thing in real life so it's not unheard of. I was involved with theater and the like when I was younger, maybe I don't see it as odd since I grew up around people who kept the same name so people would recognize them easier when it came to work.

Also I thought of this at work... didn't one of the South American countries make 3+4 cannon in their dubs? Someone had brought it up but I would prefer it if I could get a back up on that though anymore I try to avoid the shipping thing, I just left a Facebook group dedicated to Gundam Wing because I couldn't take how they call Relena a Witch or the Blob anymore (there are still those kind of kids out there and that makes me sad...)

Though if Dix has access to the PPP, couldn't he have had a way to kill Relena anyways?

Trying to scrape things together the best I can but my mind... it's hard to trust it at times anymore ^^;
Morniel_Moonlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 15:23   Link #5020
Tendou Souji

Dix was preaching world peace. Killing Relena would have gone against that as it would have caused billions of people to die. I'd have to go back and read but I don't think everything about the situation has been revealed yet. With Heero and the others captures I'm sure it will come to light pretty soon.

I know that one of Zech's friends was killed by people associated with Dix which caused him to go after them. That is why Naina was left with Duo.

Naina was targeted while in the care of Duo and Zechs saved her.

Phobos killed Dix for some people. I don't recall who. I don't even know if it was said who they were yet. We just know they were terrorists.

Relena was woken up about a year after that.

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing