Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2020-05-28, 23:37   Link #1
Key Board
Carbon

Protests over George Floyd killing

Klobuchar’s probably out after this

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-05-29, 00:45   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not that I’m a fan, but I don’t see that. If she were the governor, sure, but as a US Senator she has no direct involvement in municipal governance. And Minnesota doesn’t lose any electoral votes over this.
Old 2020-05-29, 01:22   Link #3
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Klobuchar’s probably out after this

//
This what?
Old 2020-05-29, 05:39   Link #4
Key Board
Carbon

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amy-k...b635837d3744ed

Her involvement with the police officer that killed Floyd seems more direct

Bad optics

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-05-29, 05:58   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That’s all pretty weak, really. If anything Harris’ history is more pro-law enforcement than Klobuchar’s, though the Minnesota connection doesn’t her help case.
Old 2020-05-29, 06:07   Link #6
James Rye

I don't get why that CNN reporter was arrested. Like he was just reporting and suddenly in handcuffs but no reason given. He has asked the cops if they want him to go somewhere else and showed them his credentials and they said nothing but after a minute reporting surrounded him and arrested him on Live TV. Why?
Old 2020-05-29, 06:09   Link #7
Key Board
Carbon

Harris is infamous for that too, but she’s black.

The mood in the room is tense right now, and you can absolutely bet on Trump to escalate things.

I suspect Obama himself will make some calls to VP candidates and tell them to drop out.

//
Old 2020-05-29, 10:03   Link #8
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
I don't get why that CNN reporter was arrested. Like he was just reporting and suddenly in handcuffs but no reason given. He has asked the cops if they want him to go somewhere else and showed them his credentials and they said nothing but after a minute reporting surrounded him and arrested him on Live TV. Why?
Because he wasn't White??

EDIT: https://twitter.com/MnDPS_MSP/status...38580596690949 And of course the police are lying.

Last edited by MCAL; 2020-05-29 at 17:37.
Old 2020-05-29, 10:19   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Bingo.....
Old 2020-05-30, 11:07   Link #10
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Because he wasn't White??
... and his first name is arab and, his last name is hispanic; those three are the new axis of evil for the GOP, I am surprised he was not given a beating "because he got violent after the arrest".

On a side note, there was another CNN reporter near, but he was not arrested, but he had a different skin color.
Old 2020-05-31, 09:23   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

After three years of the President calling the media traitors, with a particular focus on CNN, it's hardly surprising that journalists are being targeted. A photojournalist who had worked for the Guardian lost her eye when she was shot with a rubber bullet. It's pretty widespread, too, with incidents reported in a number of cities.

The head of the Minneapolis police union is a big Trump fan: https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...45479268212736

Meanwhile, the chief of police in Atlanta is taking a different tack: https://twitter.com/JI_ZHENG/status/1266878076417433600
Old 2020-05-31, 10:28   Link #12
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
After three years of the President calling the media traitors, with a particular focus on CNN, it's hardly surprising that journalists are being targeted. A photojournalist who had worked for the Guardian lost her eye when she was shot with a rubber bullet. It's pretty widespread, too, with incidents reported in a number of cities.
Can't have them documenting all the police brutality now can they?
Old 2020-05-31, 15:56   Link #13
Key Board
Carbon

The police are actually jamming certain areas to prevent live tweeting.

Seattle's PD in particular have given permission of police officer to TURN OFF their body cams.

It's intentional.

//
Old 2020-06-01, 06:07   Link #14
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
And I once again gain a reason to not be a Democrat or Republican and stay Independent.

Dems: We need to classify white supremacists in America as terrorists, even though they're domestic (currently, only foreign threats can get the terrorist label)

Also Dems: Wait no, there's no mechanism that exists for us to call domestic threats as terrorists, so you can't call anti-fa terrorists

In other words, they've grown so short-sighted that just like Repubs, they backtrack HARD when their own medicine is used against them.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2020-06-01, 08:28   Link #15
Key Board
Carbon

Remember Colin Kaepernick from a few years ago. He got so much flak from just kneeling down.
Did it work? Ha ha . no

So now people are speaking the language of violence, because protesting peacefully clearly hasn’t worked.

Remember when armed white supremacist stormed the Michigan capitol hall. Where were the arrests. Where were the police in full body armor.

Remember that Proud Boys still doesn’t have a terrorist group definition, and somehow Trump wants to give one to antifa first

Remember when rightwingers took the side of HongKong protesters, yet go through all mental gymnastics to justify not supporting domestic police victims

All I have to say to this is

#blacklivesmatter

Anyone who says bluelivesmatter or alllivesmatter either doesn’t understand the problem or is part of it
Old 2020-06-01, 11:58   Link #16
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Remember Colin Kaepernick from a few years ago. He got so much flak from just kneeling down.
Did it work? Ha ha . no

So now people are speaking the language of violence, because protesting peacefully clearly hasn’t worked.

Remember when armed white supremacist stormed the Michigan capitol hall. Where were the arrests. Where were the police in full body armor.

Remember that Proud Boys still doesn’t have a terrorist group definition, and somehow Trump wants to give one to antifa first

Remember when rightwingers took the side of HongKong protesters, yet go through all mental gymnastics to justify not supporting domestic police victims

All I have to say to this is

#blacklivesmatter

Anyone who says bluelivesmatter or alllivesmatter either doesn’t understand the problem or is part of it
No please, continue to rationalize looting and violence while crying what about groups that actually conduct peaceful protests.

The harsh reality is a week of rioting when there was near universal agreement and support for the black community has destroyed anything positive that could have come from this.
Old 2020-06-01, 12:19   Link #17
Key Board
Carbon

https://twitter.com/Sony/status/1267207252672421889
Old 2020-06-01, 16:23   Link #18
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Independent autopsy finds Floyd died by strangulation, that it was a homicide
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN2383JO

Quote:
The doctors also said Floyd had no underlying medical conditions that contributed to his death.

That contradicts the initial findings of the official autopsy by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner. It said there was no evidence of “traumatic” strangulation and also said coronary artery disease and hypertension also likely contributed to his death. The county’s full autopsy report has not yet been released.
So, the official autopsy was nothing but a attempt to cover the cop's ass or to calm the street.

BTW wouldn't it be a good idea to move all this conversation to a new thread instead of using this one ? Maybe a mod could do that.
Old 2020-06-01, 16:44   Link #19
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
The harsh reality is a week of rioting when there was near universal agreement and support for the black community has destroyed anything positive that could have come from this.
Okay, ramlaen. I was going to stay quiet about this but that remark there, piss me off. I am understand that you might have your own views about this but as a African-American that lives in the deepest parts of the south that our bloodline have slavery and dealt with Civil Rights uprising first hand, I can tell you this. Did you think we have universal agreement and support for the black community? NO. We never had anything like that, I work in the prison system that many of those guys who is in there for the rest of their lives from doing something that is only a few years for others. Do you think that black people is getting tired of seeing people like Floyd and others including one that was around my home getting killed for no good reason? Yes we are, these guys wasn't killers or bad people but they were treated like they were and then you have the gall to say that we lose all of the support or universal agreement.

I want to say more but I will keep to silence and support for real change. People are angry, upset and tired of the same thing over and over and over again. Then you have a president that sits in his bunker and talking about "Law and Order" and getting tougher, that is not real leadership.
Old 2020-06-01, 17:41   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
So, the official autopsy was nothing but a attempt to cover the cop's ass or to calm the street.
Calm the street? The autopsy, the choice to prosecute just one cop, and the choice of third-degree murder all inflamed the situation. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to have anticipated the consequences of those decisions.

Much of this, I suspect, has to do with the internal politics of the Minneapolis and Hennepin County law enforcement organizations. Remember that the head of the police union praised Trump for removing the supposed "handcuffs" imposed by the Obama Administration. Also when over 90% of the police force don't even live in the city they patrol but go home each night to the suburbs, it's not hard to understand why the local citizenry might see the police as an occupying force. We've had discussions about neighborhood policing and more cops on foot patrols for decades now. I don't see much evidence of that in many American cities. Certainly doesn't sound like it applies to Minneapolis. If anything, we're reinforcing a militarized view of policing through programs like the one that sells surplus military hardware to police departments. One of the first things Trump and Sessions did upon taking office was to remove the restrictions on that program imposed by the Obama Administration after Ferguson.
Closed Thread