AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-29, 02:03   Link #121
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Actually, I think that Ranka does have an inferiority complex. It reared its head at the end of episode 4. The only thing at the end that keeps her going is Alto and any perceived encouragement from Sheryl. Now if Sheryl and Alto do anything that is perceived by Ranka as a betrayal, then Ranka will prob lose that confidence because I don't see her as the type that would want to crush the competition which is the usual female response.
It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the series Ranka ends up being the stronger one when you compare her to Sheryl. I'm sure she will get over her inferiority complex and insecurities while Sheryl goes through a downward spiral and becomes emotionally dependent on Alto. You can say her Dimaond Crevesse lyrics come to pass...

Btw orion to go back to some of your comments in the Sheryl thread... did you have a look at the viewer demographics for episode 2 of Macross Frontier? Not much in the 13-15 crowd watching...
Old 2008-04-29, 02:06   Link #122
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I must add that the comments about Sheryl so far aren't that bad. So Sheryl fans shouldn't be that much offended.
I wonder if you have read this. I am fine with Westlo's posts, even though I really dislike some of them. I am only not fine with that guy's that post.
Old 2008-04-29, 02:06   Link #123
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Btw orion to go back to some of your comments in the Sheryl thread... did you have a look at the viewer demographics for episode 2 of Macross Frontier? Not much in the 13-15 crowd watching...
At that time of the morning, I would hope not unless they use Tivo. Anime is considered an advertisement for the other stuff like manga, CDs, models, Pizza Hut pizza etc which would be for that age group. The producers are paying the stations for the privilege to broadcast there after all.

You also have to remember the moe crowd which buys DVDs would be rooting for Ranka. Hmm... that may be why she was dressed up similar to that Minmei model I saw in the merchandise thread.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I wonder if you have read this. I am fine with Westlo's posts, even though I really dislike some of them. I am only not fine with that guy's that post.

I'd think that it's okay to think that way but put it in the Sheryl thread.

I'm sure there will probably be more sentiments in that direction next week. Just remember it's only anime.
Old 2008-04-29, 02:18   Link #124
Westlo
Lets be reality

When have I been anti Sheryl Herbert?

Quote:
You also have to remember the moe crowd which buys DVDs would be rooting for Ranka. Hmm... that may be why she was dressed up similar to that Minmei model I saw in the merchandise thread.
I hope Kawamori won't pander to the moe crowd for the final pairing. Macross is going to sell anyway...
Old 2008-04-29, 02:23   Link #125
herbert

Quote:

I hope Kawamori won't pander to the moe crowd for the final pairing. Macross is going to sell anyway...
I didn't say you anti-Sheryl, I just don't like your prediction for her characteristic change.
Old 2008-04-29, 02:34   Link #126
orion

Quote:
I didn't say you anti-Sheryl, I just don't like your prediction for her characteristic change.
That's probably because people remember "A Star is Born" in any of its incarnations and see Sheryl as the star about ready to fall as Ranka rises in fame.

Sheryl does exhibit some risky behavior like believing she has perfect luck and that she has no barriers possibly without acknowledging why showing her arrogant side. She is about to cause a ripple in a relationship over a missing earring which means she's a little on the selfish and inconsiderate side. She thinks herself as invincible and encourages Ranka to follow in her footsteps without thinking that Ranka could possibly unseat her which is the normal cycle. Again, that's pretty arrogant.

Sheryl is the perfect setup for a fall.
---

Anyway back to the demographics, them look like otaku to me. It's nice to see some females in there.
Old 2008-04-29, 02:49   Link #127
Zekori

Quote:
That's probably because people remember "A Star is Born" in any of its incarnations and see Sheryl as the star about ready to fall as Ranka rises in fame.

Sheryl does exhibit some risky behavior like believing she has perfect luck and that she has no barriers possibly without acknowledging why showing her arrogant side. She is about to cause a ripple in a relationship over a missing earring which means she's a little on the selfish and inconsiderate side. She thinks herself as invincible and encourages Ranka to follow in her footsteps without thinking that Ranka could possibly unseat her which is the normal cycle. Again, that's pretty arrogant.

Actually, if MF continues to follow in the mood of the original macross (Unless we've been giving a shower of nostalgic nudges, which I dont mind, until the series gets deeper) I wouldn't debate that Sheryl's career would be less than a focus for her as the series progresses, but I dont think such a thing would phase her, especially if its Ranka.

But if Ranka takes up singing (too early at this point, considering from speculation Singing = Vajra beacon for her). It pretty reminds me of the whole Linn Minmei situation where she became more focused on her career and popularity than to have time for anything else.

Although this is all early specualation, for all we know the Vajra may want Ranka for their side for Macross II-Style Emulator moral boosting
Old 2008-04-29, 02:50   Link #128
orion

Quote:

Yes, you are an ardent Sheryl fan who gets ticked off whenever I mention age.

Pandering to the moe crowd has already started. Klan Klein is a very good example of the pandering. She is the first Meltlandi warrior loli in Macross history. Ranka's Miss Macross Frontier outfit is another example. Too bad I can't afford that Minmei model in the merchandise thread.

Since they need those moe lovers yen, I expect more pandering to come. This is an expensive title after all.

Only time will tell who the final couples are.

So I'm back to Ranka cheering.

----

It's pretty obvious that Ranka is going to take up singing. Her seiyuu was chosen via a publicized audition that involved singing.

Last edited by orion; 2008-04-29 at 03:17.
Old 2008-04-29, 03:17   Link #129
herbert

Quote:

I guess you got what I said wrong. I don't mind about the 'falling' part, and I can agree with Westlo there is a good chance to give her character development. What I dislike is how Westlo predicts the falling affects her. Over-protective I am maybe, I just can't imagine Sheryl mentally breakdown because of something this small. Sure, she may get a hard hit on self-esteem but I don't think it's enough to beat her down. It's more like giving her a drive to take another step up.

By the way, my favourite manga character is June May of Cloth Road. If you have read vol 4 of Cloth Road, you shall understand what I expect from Sheryl.
Old 2008-04-29, 03:32   Link #130
ReddyRedWolf

Please people the music scene is big market both Ranka and Sheryl culd find their own nitch.

If you noticed that Sheryl encouraged Ranka in singing. To catch up to her.

Music and fame wont be their conflict Oh no.

It would be Alto.
Old 2008-04-29, 04:02   Link #131
orion

Then how many bands did Fire Bomber have as competitors?

Fire Bomber continues to be the "It" band in this Macross title also. In Macross 7, you heard Fire Bomber and that's it. So I don't have any expectation for 2 Galactic Fairies.

Encouraging the competition to catch up to you only shows your arrogant side. She basically is saying Ranka can't beat her. Ranka can only follow her.

Of course, we don't know who Brera Sterne is yet. She just may be Sheryl's current competitor. I was wondering if that's Ranka's future stage name and image. She's seen at 27:10 in the Deculture edition.
Old 2008-04-29, 04:31   Link #132
ReddyRedWolf

There's a reason why Sheryl is called the Galaxy's Fairy. She's a native of Macross Galaxy.

In Macross 7 people started to notice Firebomber because Basara seems to drive off the enemy without firing a shot.

Of course compairing other artists to Basara is a bit unfair as he was considered the Minmei of his generation.

Unlike Sheryl, Basara wasn't the nuturing mentor type. UN Spacy asked him to train the Jamming Birds, he didn't.

Sheryl on the otherhand seems to take Ranka under her wing.

Sheryl infects others with her never say die attitude.
Old 2008-04-29, 04:47   Link #133
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

It would be Alto.
No way. I can even see Ranka backing down rather than staying in the ring for the LT. Alto will just have to stop being a princess and take the cue. If anything, Sheryl and Ranka probably will be best friends throughout the show or something.

After that speech Sheryl gave when they were trapped inside that pod, I doubt her pride will let her RIP if she lets herself stoop down to her insecurities and end up as a clingy has-been. I find the idea of her becoming more emo than Ranka and consoling someone like Alto a little out of character. Besides, after 4 episodes, I still have yet to see some proof that Sheryl's self-esteem has its limits.

For the record, I never liked Sheryl btw, she just fell on the bad side of my first impressions that's all. I just give credit to where there should be credit. That and because I want princess Alto and her pet Ranka to have a happy ending without the "wrench" interfering. Because you see, Sheryl Nome antagonizes my fave character's happy ending. I have to hate somehow and I'm bitter that way.

I'm not familiar with the original Macross, but I'm guessing Misa was the first girl in the show and Minmei second, right? lol I don't think the LT will follow that previous set-up no matter how parallel things are. Where's the fun in that?
Old 2008-04-29, 05:06   Link #134
Zekori

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I'm not familiar with the original Macross, but I'm guessing Misa was the first girl in the show and Minmei second, right? lol I don't think the LT will follow that previous set-up no matter how parallel things are. Where's the fun in that?
It was pretty much Minmei focus for about 25~40% of the series until Misa character development started to swing around, even then it was pretty much a love triangle for the later half. Misa was actually portrayed as pretty much as a b**** alot of times in the series, and they managed to turn that around in a couple of episodes slightly to the point where shes not so much one (my perspective).

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-29, 05:28   Link #135
psme

Quote:
Then how many bands did Fire Bomber have as competitors?

Fire Bomber continues to be the "It" band in this Macross title also. In Macross 7, you heard Fire Bomber and that's it. So I don't have any expectation for 2 Galactic Fairies.
I don't think so. In the Galaxy Network CD 1 and 2, there are quite a few bands and different male/female singers. Each CD has around 12 songs I think and only around 3 songs belong to Fire Bomber. I maybe wrong though if my memory is bad!

regards,

Li On
Old 2008-04-29, 06:02   Link #136
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
Pandering to the moe crowd has already started.
I know the pandering has already started, that's why I said I hope he doesn't for the final pairing

Quote:
Anyway back to the demographics, them look like otaku to me. It's nice to see some females in there
You said 13-15 year olds was the target base... that would be in the Teen section which has a 0.3%... and you said something about the time it was on... To Love Ru is has 3.2% share in that market so don't use the time slot as an excuse.. The M2 fanbase is probably old fans from prior series.. that's why To Love Ru is low in that area while another old series (manga) in Golgo is kinda high in that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert
What I dislike is how Westlo predicts the falling affects her. Over-protective I am maybe, I just can't imagine Sheryl mentally breakdown because of something this small. Sure, she may get a hard hit on self-esteem but I don't think it's enough to beat her down. It's more like giving her a drive to take another step up.
I don't think she will mentally breakdown, just become emotionally dependent on Alto and there's nothing wrong with that. When I find out why she values the earrings so much It will give me another clue as to what they will do with her. Is the earrings from her "Riber?", a family member? Someone who was like a sister to her? I think her lyrics from Diamond Crevesse gives an indication to what they will do with her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf
Please people the music scene is big market both Ranka and Sheryl culd find their own nitch.

It would be Alto.
Yeah even if Ranka become popular it's not like Sheryl would lose her fanbase in her home fleet of Macross Galaxy, like you said she's called the Galaxy Fairy for a reason.

Quote:
Of course, we don't know who Brera Sterne is yet. She just may be Sheryl's current competitor. I was wondering if that's Ranka's future stage name and image. She's seen at 27:10 in the Deculture edition.
Uh no just no lol... Souichiro Hoshi (Keiichi in Higuarshi, Kira Yamato in Gundam SEED, Kazuma in Scryed) is casted to voice Brera Sterne and going by the OP he's the main antagonist of this series for at least the first half. Pic posted by Nightengale in the VA thread on this forum.

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9...8b4b495rx9.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d
You see Minmei first, she's watching the air show where the main character does he stuff, later on you see Hikaru and his senpai Roy (think Ozma) admiring Minmei's swaying ass (Robotech cut this out!) as she walks away from them. Misa is just a commanding officer at the time and was harsh to Hikaru (with fair reason considering the circumstances) and Hikaru called her an old woman and their love/hate relationship started from that point and escalated as Hikaru joined the military. But Minmei was the main focus of Hikaru for the first half (Hikaru fights to protect Minmay at one stage, sound familiar?) and she still played the most important role out of all the characters in the show.

I don't see Kawamori giving Ranka the Minmay role and the guy, especially since Sheryl is listed 2nd on the cast order but that's just me.. we'll find out in 20.5 weeks unless they decide to pull a second season on us.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-29 at 06:23.
Old 2008-04-29, 08:53   Link #137
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by psme View Post
I don't think so. In the Galaxy Network CD 1 and 2, there are quite a few bands and different male/female singers. Each CD has around 12 songs I think and only around 3 songs belong to Fire Bomber. I maybe wrong though if my memory is bad!

regards,

Li On

I'm talking about in the anime. Whatever shows up on a CD that mimics a radio station broadcast is not a part of my consideration.

Quote:
You said 13-15 year olds was the target base... that would be in the Teen section which has a 0.3%... and you said something about the time it was on... To Love Ru is has 3.2% share in that market so don't use the time slot as an excuse.. The M2 fanbase is probably old fans from prior series.. that's why To Love Ru is low in that area while another old series (manga) in Golgo is kinda high in that one.
For the demographics, that is the target but obviously they aren't hitting it with that time slot they got. The poor show is getting screwed. No teen is going to watch TV Fridays at 2 AM on a school day unless it's Tivo and with Pizza Hut coming on board hopefully it will increase awareness. If anything, Macross F should be compared to Code Geass R2 which is aired in a time that teens could watch on Sundays at 5 PM and is a mecha title also that targets teens. That show has better ratings breakdown and a higher score depending on which the region sampled. Macross F is also targeting females which is something in its favor.

I believe that they don't have school on Saturdays so that might account for a greater teen presence in Golgo 13 Saturdays 1 AM but that title has fanservice and is a revered property in Japan that should appeal to a wider male population. To Love RU is an otaku title with fanservice I believe that airs Fridays at 1:55 AM on a school day. So there you have it the power of otaku and fanservice on school day ratings.

Again, since there is a female segment, Ranka is prob going to receive the sympathy since Ranka x Alto is the perceived budding couple at the onset with Sheryl being the wrench.

-----

So Brera is a male with an obvious female design and a similar necklace to Alto. Hmmm... I wonder if he's an onnagata too. Oh well, I have to wait to find out because this is the Ranka thread dedicated to cheering on our fav babe and not getting derailed in unnecessary discussions.

We may have to sing the Nyan Nyan song with liberal sprinkling of holy Macross oil to purify this thread.

Last edited by orion; 2008-04-29 at 10:23.
Old 2008-04-29, 13:34   Link #138
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
I don't see Kawamori giving Ranka the Minmay role and the guy, especially since Sheryl is listed 2nd on the cast order but that's just me.. we'll find out in 20.5 weeks unless they decide to pull a second season on us.
if they ll pull a second season , i hope they keep the quality
Old 2008-04-29, 14:55   Link #139
ani_d

Okay, so I watched the first episode of original Macross (and a lil bit of ep 2) and Misa's introduction is just enough for you to warm up to her. (If Minmei's proper introduction really did appear before Misa's then sorry, I must've missed it. ) I don't see any similarities between her and Sheryl at all. If I was going to pick a female lead by just watching episode 1, then I will definitely be a Misa fan. Minmei's appearance is more like a cameo and I didn't even figure out that she's THE Minmei until I saw episode 2 preview where she's gonna get more attention. I have to admit Minmei is prettier than Misa to boot lol Though Ranka's attitude/restaurant is more like Minmei, she did strike me the way Misa did after seeing the MF preview and official episode 1. So to me, the impression I got from all this parallelism is that, they're reversing Misa and Minmei's role and paying homage to the characters at the same time. It really doesn't matter to me since I'm not a long-time Macross fan, but they better not kill off Ozma (from what I've been hearing lately) and go overboard with the parallelism.

Quote:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but in episode 4, Alto and Ranka's names were both listed at the top of the credits. But I know what you're talking about. I also saw an episode where Sheryl's name was above Ranka too, which I think in episode 2? In the official website, however, Alto and Ranka's names were side by side and Sheryl's only third in the list.

http://www.macrossf.com/character/character.html

Not that the cast order determines the LT, I mean Noe was listed second in True Tears and you know what happened lol
Old 2008-04-29, 15:44   Link #140
yadango

Quote:
there's a reason why there's a "lol" at the end of it (it's a joke). sheryl should be shot, maimed, hung, slapped with a salami it's just an expression, doesn't mean i'm serious. the only serious rant i have about sherly is her hair is sooo shiny and reflective that i rarely look at her face. sheryl is fine, so don't take my death comment too seriously. note: bad joke next sentence. i still think all you pink-haired hina/sheryl fans are all a bunch of perverts :P. what is it with pink hair anyways lol? sickos!

Quote:
I'd think that it's okay to think that way but put it in the Sheryl thread.
I'm sure there will probably be more sentiments in that direction next week. Just remember it's only anime.
shall i start posting in the Sheryl thread ? yeah, it's just anime, and so far i'm lovin' frontier (even more so than zero, plus, and 7) and all the homage scenes. though this misa = sheryl and ranka = minmei talk bothers me lol. i think everybody's different.

Last edited by yadango; 2008-04-29 at 16:24.
Closed Thread