AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-13, 09:41   Link #1301
wingzerosnuggles

TL;DR

Peepz, you know what scrolling is for, right?

@SkullFaerie I believe Marina's "uselessness' was justified. She at least tried in S1. S2 derailed her character though. However, they bring in the explanation that Marina was a concert pianist who wasn't really suited for the job. Still, you have to give her credit. She tried. Ok, she failed. But hey, we can't all be suddenly thrust into the political sphere and take the world by storm. At the very least, she made up for it with philanthropy. She didn't just mope. She composed music to cheer the children up because:
1. That was her job before she was princess. She's good at it.
2. Beats doing nothing.

I vehemently disagree with her not using the gun to protect the kids though. Ok, you don't want to fight. Still, protect the damned kids. Playing piano isn't going to keep them from getting killed.

As for your critique of Relena, it was probably taken the wrong way because you did not sufficiently clarify what you meant. Also the terms you used may be classified as derogatory. Referring to her as a "dumb blonde" is an offensive stereotype and doesn't really have much to do with her characterization. Same goes for "airhead." These are playground terms that there should be no room for if you want to be taken seriously. It looks like name-calling. Please note that I'm not saying you're name-calling but it's easy to see why people would assume that with the usage of such terms. So really, I think you should just be more creative with your terminology to express yourself better. It may not be a big deal to you but it is a big deal to other people so please keep that in mind.

EDIT: And you can criticize her all you want. I've managed to discuss her faults with people before. She's not perfect. However, if I'm following your train of thought correctly, what you dislike is how she is perceived. That's not really within her control, is it? Going by that train of thought, the analogy would be you like the product but dislike how it is packaged. Also, you stated earlier that she was arrogant and "liked the attention." I'd appreciate it if you would substantiate your claims with more than just your honest opinion. Citing scenes and episodes lend an argument more credibility.

As for the creators having a preference for her, here's their "Ten Years Later" interview. Relena is only mentioned once and only in passing:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.p...=12003&start=0

Last edited by wingzerosnuggles; 2010-12-13 at 10:40.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 13:15   Link #1302
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
@Elo: 'course heero is the main for the fandom and carries the show. Just couldn't remember if the terrorism issue had ever been brought up, because somehow it would've seemed fitting seeing the overall more serious tone of GW. Somehow it should've been conflicting with Relena's ideals (essentially working with/ supporting terrorists as sovereign of a neutral/pacifist nation) and her credibility to the outside world. But maybe that's why and where she actually did lose some public support, we don't know. It's not criticism, only a thought
The terrorism issue has certainly been discussed before(can't remember if it's been brought up in this thread) but most mature fans are well-aware of it.

With regard to Relena's possible conflict of interest, I'll agree with you to an extent. The Gundams were still considered terrorists at the time. However, only three Gundams ever did fight for the Sanc Kingdom and they were defending the kingdom both times. If anyone was aware of the mobile suits in Sanc's "defense force", I think they'd likely be restricted to Romefeller military personnel and officials.

From we've seen, she garnered support worldwide and from most of the colonies too. The only major people/groups that didn't support we know of were the White Fang and other colony radicals.
Old 2010-12-13, 17:42   Link #1303
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerosnuggles View Post
Oh cool, GW tankoubon. Wonder if they'll change up the cover art and whatnot. Man, I need PayPal. xD I guess this is Unicorn for the AC-verse? xD Curious about the listing too. Maybe the novel version will correct how bad Sumisawa is at math. Meh...I mostly want the pretty art.

EDIT: Are these Leos a new release?
http://cgi.ebay.ph/GUNDAM-WING-LEO-S...#ht_500wt_1156
No, I'm afraid not. Those Leos are coming on...10 years old now.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 18:00   Link #1304
MichaelKnight
Faaarrrkkkkk

Funny how you tell me to get over it when I just said I'm done. Don't turn it around on me, love. Don't tell me to get over it. YOU get over ME.

And you weren't attacked. You're the one who offended, I only defended.

But hey if it helps, you win. I'll stop arguing with you. You can say whatever you want and I'll just swallow it. So you're happy. <3
Old 2010-12-13, 18:11   Link #1305
Elo the Blue

I just saw in the image thread and am not sure which Ace magazine it was in but here's a great image showing Katoki's re-designed OZ suits.

Old 2010-12-13, 19:07   Link #1306
Kitsoru
:3c

Just a heads up-- my laptop died last night and is off being fixed so in tandem with finals and then going on a trip after New Year's, I'm gonna be MIA from here for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
I just saw in the image thread and am not sure which Ace magazine it was in but here's a great image showing Katoki's re-designed OZ suits.

Are you sure those are redesigns? I guess they do look a little different... I'm liking the Virgos and Mercurius+Vayeate (but then again, I always thought those were the coolest looking ones..)

I hope Tallgeese Ka gets a modelkit
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 21:22   Link #1307
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post

According to the Gundam Ace Re: page, “An illustration I drew specifically for Newtype magazine during the TV series telecast. I added a few details to the setting draft for films.” (Ka).
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 21:28   Link #1308
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So, that image is pretty damn old then, right?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 21:40   Link #1309
Elo the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
According to the Gundam Ace Re: page, “An illustration I drew specifically for Newtype magazine during the TV series telecast. I added a few details to the setting draft for films.” (Ka).
Thanks of the info Deacon.

Well, it looks like the variants are coming in handy.
Old 2010-12-14, 01:07   Link #1310
wingzerosnuggles

@Deacon May I have your permission to post your translated EW: GotD chapters to Tumblr? If you decline, I completely understand. Most translators want to control the downloads so it's easy to take down just in case the company sends a cease and desist.
wingzerosnuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 01:48   Link #1311
Washu-Chan