AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-02-18, 13:19   Link #1601
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My friend and I watched episodes six and seven back to back (with an episode of Mahoutsukai no Yome in-between). We were both emotionally spent.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-20, 02:09   Link #1602
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Wow! Episode 7 is IN-TENSE!

Spoiler for Episode 7:

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2018-02-20 at 02:09. Reason: Wrong tag...
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-09, 10:03   Link #1603
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Amazon Prime is now streaming the officially subtitled version of the live-action Moribito. Watching the opening moments once again I'm still struck by the beautiful photography in this series. The scene where JIguro takes young Balsa to New Yogo is especially stunning.

So far they only have episode one. I hope this doesn't mean they'll just tease their subscribers and not manage to stream the rest.
Old 2019-05-10, 12:40   Link #1604
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

(Thought I was in the wrong thread because of the live-action discussion above.)

About the anime ...

I discovered today that not one streaming outlet that serves the US now offers Moribito. It has bounced around from Viz to Hulu to Amazon to maybe even Netflix. Now it is nowhere to be found.

I find that very sad.
Old 2019-05-11, 02:49   Link #1605
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, that really sucks. I managed to get a few muggles hooked on it while it was on Amazon.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 01:32   Link #1606
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just finished my latest rewatch. No less wrecked by the ending, no matter how many times I watch it.

It seems worth mentioning that Seirei no Moribito truly lives on - new BD/DVD options (Sentai) and streaming (HiDive) in the West just this month. It will never fade, never grow old, in the manner of all great works of art.
Old 2021-06-01, 23:11   Link #1607
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow - HiDive posted a Kamiyama interview about Moribito a few months back. A true rarity to hear the man even asked about his crowing achievement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boB6d0yHPNQ
Old 2021-06-10, 16:11   Link #1608
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Those are fighting words when you are also talking about the Ghost in the Shell director ...

Not that I would disagree though. But it's indeed quite the portfolio.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-11, 08:12   Link #1609
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kamiyama is directing a spin-off animated film based on The Lord of the Rings.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-film/.173806
Old 2021-12-13, 12:40   Link #1610
Blaat

The remaining main Moribito books that haven't been released in English have been fan translated. So that's Yume no Moribito all the way up to Ten to Chi no Moribito. Three books still haven't been translated but they're prequel/side short stories.

I have been reading them for the past weeks I admit I don't know how good the actual translation is as I can't read Japanese but the English itself seems fine then again I'm not a native speaker.
Old 2021-12-13, 17:09   Link #1611
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm reading them as well and the translation seems very good to me. So do the books! Though my view is that Kamiyama elevated the anime above what was on the page in every way.
Old 2021-12-14, 12:40   Link #1612
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm guessing they go beyond the live-action adaptation by NHK? It ends with
Spoiler:

If there are more stories, do they focus on Chagum and his efforts to build a new country? To be honest, I'd be more interested in that subject than more stories about Balsa.

This article from ANN suggests that the NHK adapted "all ten" of the Moribito novels.
Old 2021-12-15, 09:24   Link #1613
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm guessing they go beyond the live-action adaptation by NHK? It ends with
Spoiler:

If there are more stories, do they focus on Chagum and his efforts to build a new country? To be honest, I'd be more interested in that subject than more stories about Balsa.

This article from ANN suggests that the NHK adapted "all ten" of the Moribito novels.
I would be too.

AFAIK NHK adapted all the main novels (I’m not finished yet). There are one side stories and such not adapted but I think that’s it.
Old 2021-12-15, 14:08   Link #1614
Blaat

I'm half way through the fifth novel and I don't recall the third and fourth novels being adapted in the j-drama but then again I have terrible memory.

Third novel has several people falling asleep and not waking up, the premise is similar to one of the anime's filler episode but the reason why they're asleep is completely different. The fourth novel has Chagum attending a coronation in Sangal. Fifth novel features the Asra girl which was definitely adapted in the j-drama. The novels also expand the world building so you'll get to learn more of Sangal and Rota. Overall definitely an enjoyable read so far.
Old 2021-12-15, 16:51   Link #1615
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yes, they incorporated elements of those novels but not the main plots of them. Perhaps because it would have meant recasting Chagum two more times, ROFL.
Old 2023-05-02, 14:00   Link #1616
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So I rewatched the entire anime series again this past weekend.

I realized I never understood why the guy Balsa slashed in the tiger episode didn't die. Then I realized that the blacksmith made her the "Ultimate Weapon" which he had considered giving to Jiguro, the one that doesn't actually kill.

I always find the little details Kamiyama includes in his scenes particularly striking. For instance, when Chagum and the Yaku girl Nimka return to the village, we see a drama play out in the corner of the screen with no dialogue. Everyone is angry with them for running away, and Nimka's father strikes her.

The same applies to the long shot coverage of the spear fight on the cliff in the tiger episode. We're so remote from the action, yet we experience it just the same.

I also noticed how rare it is that Kamiyama shows a still frame. There's always some business going on elsewhere, even if we're just watching people converse over dinner. Torogai's little rodent often plays this role. The scene where it refuses to have anything to do with her after she offers it up to save herself from the water beast is so precious.
Old 2023-05-02, 18:58   Link #1617
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So much of all that is original material Kamiyama wrote (including the entire "Tiger" episode). The novel is great, but he lifts it from great to a profound masterpiece.
Old 2023-05-05, 12:30   Link #1618
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If so, he did a really good job of integrating it with the broader anthropological themes of Uehashi's work. It didn't feel out of place in the narrative at all despite being a stand-alone story.

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.