AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2010-02-26, 22:21   Link #1541
babohtea

I'm also really curious where the author went. I can't wait to see what other stories she might make!

Also, there's something I want to say to those who were upset with the ending. Like Vexx said before, all of the girl's aren't just here to entertain the male. In most of the stories in which you have multiple endings, the male is usually the one that helps support the female character while remaining largely independent or well off. While you can't tell as much in the anime, in the light novels (due to more inner dialogue) it's a lot more obvious how important Taiga was to Ryuuji.

From the anime, you might get the impression that Taiga was immature, and needed Ryuuji's "skills" just to survive. However, while that's true, Ryuuji, in another way, needed Taiga to "survive". In the beginning of the series, Ryuuji really was going nowhere in life (I think this was mentioned before). His primary concern at the beginning of the series was his looks, he had a single mother and he had no plans to attend college. His "love" for Minori was a complete crush; he knew little to nothing about her. Once Taiga came into his life, she sort of gave him a direction. Sure, it wasn't exactly one he chose for himself, but seeing her and how helpless she was became the driving force that developed Ryuuji and moved him forward. His "outcast" status had sort of left him with a depressed outlook toward life, with no motivations. Seeing another outcast like him in Taiga helped him pick up his life from the sort of sulking stasis that it was in.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 01:55   Link #1542
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
I'm also really curious where the author went. I can't wait to see what other stories she might make!
Toradora! would've made her a lot of money, so I suppose there's no rush to launch something quickly.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 02:56   Link #1543
babohtea

That's true. I still want to see her next work though
Old 2010-02-28, 03:45   Link #1544
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I was referred to Toradora! by another AS member, Kaisos. I checked out what is available so far of the manga first, and liked what I saw. However, when I heard that Ryuuji and Taiga became a couple in the completed stories of the novels and the anime, I was skeptical. Not because I didn't feel like Ryuuji and Taiga could be a viable couple, but rather I was just more interested in seeing them stay friends, pursuing their original 'targets'. The way such a strong friendship would work out under those circumstances interested me.

That being said, I ended up being very convinced that it was for the better that Ryuuji and Taiga do end up together. When you see the whole story unfold, a very powerful, loving bond emerging naturally becomes apparent, culminating in Episode 25 with what I thought was the single most touching romantic scene I have ever encountered. And I mean this not just for anime, but anywhere. I am not an easy man to stir up by any means; that scene--with all the preceding storyline to lead up to it--made me cry for a couple of minutes, it was so beautiful to me.

Moreover, the whole cast was enjoyable. I was very glad that enough attention was paid to the whole primary cast that I never felt saturated by one or the other. While the relationship between Ryuuji and Taiga was the central storyline, it was not carried out in a vacuum. Everyone was in motion, and everyone was having to deal with not just a few specific feelings from one or two other people, but with a constantly changing landscape of many individuals, many varied feelings. I could probably write a very substantial essay on what I loved about Toradora! and may well do so at some point, but suffice it to say I very thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the most convincing love stories I've encountered.
Old 2010-03-01, 07:56   Link #1545
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... there's always the PSP game (which rewrites the story substantially so that various paths can be explored) or the doujinshi/fanfiction
To the PSP we game gooo!

Btw, why does Ami and Sumire ( The Student Council president ) look the same?
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 14:21   Link #1546
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Kanou has black hair on the cover of the novels, JC staff made her hair blue in the anime.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 22:46   Link #1547
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
To the PSP we game gooo!

I've also seen it in the same way, specially when I've watched it for the first time
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2010-03-04, 00:19   Link #1548
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They're both tall young ladies with long dark hair... Sumire has a more angular face and squints more... and she has that wonderful kick-ass "yakuza" tone to her voice.

I will say I was confused the first few seconds we saw Sumire in the series though.... seems a bit of a poor choice for the animators to have made her hair the same color as Ami's hair. Probably should have made her hair actually black. This is a good example of why rainbow hues of hair color dominate in anime.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-03-04 at 00:30.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 16:31   Link #1549
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
To the PSP we game gooo!

Yeah, it's hard to tell the difference, but if you watch the hair, it gets quite easy actually. Their expressions are generally different too. Sumire always seems more intense than Ami to me.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 22:48   Link #1550
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They're both tall young ladies with long dark hair... Sumire has a more angular face and squints more... and she has that wonderful kick-ass "yakuza" tone to her voice.

I will say I was confused the first few seconds we saw Sumire in the series though.... seems a bit of a poor choice for the animators to have made her hair the same color as Ami's hair. Probably should have made her hair actually black. This is a good example of why rainbow hues of hair color dominate in anime.
lol I agree, voice of Sumire is the reason I able to distinguished those two. She's have a cool banchou-ish voice
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2010-03-09, 01:34   Link #1551
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm biased... Sumire is easily my favorite character of the series.
Old 2010-03-19, 19:55   Link #1552
babohtea

Just listened to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8uG1TND37k&NR=1, and it reminded me of how much I missed ToraDora! D:

I sincerely hope Yuyuko Takemiya makes something else in the future!
Old 2010-03-20, 09:47   Link #1553
BubbleGumCrisis

Toradora is finally available for pre-order. I took a sigh of relief when I saw that it will be coming in 13 episode boxsets instead of 4 ep singles.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...rs-start-today
BubbleGumCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 09:46   Link #1554
Tabasco

Sweet. I wasn't sure it was going to be licensed, honestly.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 11:27   Link #1555
Kentleton

Send a message via AIM to Kentleton Send a message via MSN to Kentleton
Im glad its licensed. Im going to get it. Toradora was amazing!
Kentleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 14:12   Link #1556
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

I think Inko-chan could be suffering from this...
"Australian vets treat hundreds of 'drunken' parrots"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...c/10203845.stm
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-06, 18:53   Link #1557
Pat123

It seems that NIS America has released the Toradora anime with both English and Japanese dubs, as well as both BlueRay and DVD formats. I've watched the first episode on Crunchyroll and it seems average. There are a number of translation mistakes and character's names are pronounced incorrectly. But, if you've never watched it in Japanese, I guess it would be pretty good.

It is pricey (100 - 160 USD) and has some limitations. However, as a bonus it promises Ami's impersonations. However, the promo didn't say if those were in English, Japanese, or both.
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-07, 00:39   Link #1558
Frontier

But aside from the translation mistakes and mispronunciations, which is a problem that I think plagues almost every dub, how are the performances? I quite liked what I head from the trailer .
Old 2018-03-30, 15:23   Link #1559
NyaZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinZwei View Post
I've also seen it in the same way, specially when I've watched it for the first time
I noticed you choice of anime with Haganai.
Can you tell where i might find out more such as dialect. I think those things though extra bits add to the character. It let's you see a bit more of who they are as a person or how they see themselves.
thanks.
NyaZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-14, 20:14   Link #1560
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yahoo~ I recently got a hankering for Toradora again, so I gave some of my thoughts looking back on it at the time (2008-2009) in a short video (more like audio lol) essay. Have a look!

https://youtu.be/GHkRYZEZLuQ
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen