AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-01-13, 10:06   Link #21
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

For now, the anime looks to be faithful to the manga.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 06:09   Link #22
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 1:

Surprised at the brutality of episode 1. Will certainly stick around for more.

Magical girls for anti-terrorism? I imagine Asuka slashing the feet of Bin Laden and other well known terrorists.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2019-01-14 at 06:24.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 21:26   Link #23
Mars Terra

Some people have compared this show to Madoka, and I get how annoying it can be when other anime try to rip off that title as I've tried a few of them myself and have been disappointed by them. But it's not a rip-off just because it's a dark take on the magical girl genre, because going by that logic then Madoka itself would be a rip-off of Mai-HIME, which came out years prior.
While it's not unlikely that the writer was inspired to create Tokushuusen Asuka because of Madoka, Asuka has more of a resemblance with Toji no Miko if anything, but even then there are some differences between the two.

The main character, Asuka, is clearing suffering from PTSD, I don't know how deeply they'll explore this topic or how well they'll execute what they do, but regardless it's clear that this show is trying to be it's own thing.

Currently reading:: The Sirens of Titan.
Mars Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-15, 15:46   Link #24
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Terra View Post
Some people have compared this show to Madoka, and I get how annoying it can be when other anime try to rip off that title as I've tried a few of them myself and have been disappointed by them. But it's not a rip-off just because it's a dark take on the magical girl genre, because going by that logic then Madoka itself would be a rip-off of Mai-HIME, which came out years prior.
While it's not unlikely that the writer was inspired to create Tokushuusen Asuka because of Madoka, Asuka has more of a resemblance with Toji no Miko if anything, but even then there are some differences between the two.

The main character, Asuka, is clearing suffering from PTSD, I don't know how deeply they'll explore this topic or how well they'll execute what they do, but regardless it's clear that this show is trying to be it's own thing.
But even Mai-Hime was more conventional, like Nanoha was not that descostructive, Madoka was Steins Gate with magical girls...those otaku fantasies are real life nightmares, that is why people goes with madoka comparasion plus was madoka that started the boom(and in a way revived magical girls as dark deconstruction unless you're making a pretty cure), mostly that is why

Asuka is a child soldier that used magic...and that was amazing, that was so real
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-15, 20:23   Link #25
Mars Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
But even Mai-Hime was more conventional, like Nanoha was not that descostructive, Madoka was Steins Gate with magical girls...those otaku fantasies are real life nightmares, that is why people goes with madoka comparasion plus was madoka that started the boom(and in a way revived magical girls as dark deconstruction unless you're making a pretty cure), mostly that is why

Asuka is a child soldier that used magic...and that was amazing, that was so real
Yeah, but there's some many shows coming out that are just kind of there and don't really build upon their predecessors, they don't add anything to their respective genres, so it's frustrating when people say that these two shows are similar and of course they are, because they're both part of the same genre, but as long as this show is adding something to that genre then it's not doing any harm.

Old 2019-01-16, 11:11   Link #26
Applehell

Other than some awkward scene transitions, (mainly the shifts between Asuka's past and persent) and fairly stilted directing in thr SOL moments, not bad. I like how this foremost framed as kind of war veteran show foremost Magical Girl one second. That said it seems like these Disas are still around if what happrned to her parents happened after they beat their big boss though
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-17, 05:20   Link #27
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
It's been announced that FUNI will do an English version of the anime.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-18, 16:18   Link #28
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Magical girl anime sure aren't what they used to be. Right now if I hear "oh its a magical girl anime" I think immediately of blood and gore.
Old 2019-01-18, 19:01   Link #29
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

And less magic.
Old 2019-01-18, 21:54   Link #30
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Magical girl anime sure aren't what they used to be. Right now if I hear "oh its a magical girl anime" I think immediately of blood and gore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
And less magic.
Blame we lived in the post madoka and the nanoha and to aru world, when is less magic and more engineer, like person sized gundam.

Still the series is amazing, show the traumas very well and that compromise as i'm sick of war but still i can and seems i must fight on.

the evils magicals girls are that big arc alongside terrorism and those will be a massive problem

Will Asuka friend become magical girls too? one will die, which one will be a suprise.
Old 2019-01-18, 23:34   Link #31
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I feel for Asuka. She's just going to be dragged in more and more. In part I feel for the medical magical girl. Asuka asked her to join up initially. At the same time, she also had a choice to quit like Asuka did. I don't feel that promise was intended or can be guilt tripped onto her for a lifetime.

Hopefully she doesn't end up with more regrets by the end of this show.
Old 2019-01-19, 01:49   Link #32
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I feel for Asuka. She's just going to be dragged in more and more. In part I feel for the medical magical girl. Asuka asked her to join up initially. At the same time, she also had a choice to quit like Asuka did. I don't feel that promise was intended or can be guilt tripped onto her for a lifetime.

Hopefully she doesn't end up with more regrets by the end of this show.
Kurumi... let's say there is more of her than just a shy support magical girl...
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-19, 06:08   Link #33
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 2:

Leftover alien lifeforms from the previous war are now being used by terrorists? Series getting darker. Well, that terrorist guy deserve the torture though.

Poor Asuka just can't quit her job...
Old 2019-01-19, 07:48   Link #34
4th Dimension

Well, nobody deserves torture. But even from practical perspective torture tends to give sqewed results. ESPECIALLY when your investigator is emotional attached to what he is interrogating someone about. The moment he became personaly involved into this he should have been off the case.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-19, 08:14   Link #35
Liddo-kun
is this so?

We just have to agree to disagree on that one. For me, a crazed terrorist who casually shoots innocent bystanders as a "distraction" deserves hell. Those people he shot in the street died for no reason.
Old 2019-01-19, 10:28   Link #36
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Well, nobody deserves torture. But even from practical perspective torture tends to give sqewed results. ESPECIALLY when your investigator is emotional attached to what he is interrogating someone about. The moment he became personaly involved into this he should have been off the case.
At least,the torture here was just an additional measure. The main one was truth serum.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2019-01-23 at 00:26.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-22, 20:51   Link #37
Mars Terra

I don't know why, but I thought it was really funny when Sacchuu and those pigeons started fighting. XD

I always find it interesting when any sort of fictional politics are inserted into a narrative, but it's also interesting that the other main characters are old acquaintances of the main character. Hopefully it does something with these elements though.

Am I the only one who thinks the opening sounds like a Myth & Roid song?

Old 2019-01-25, 17:46   Link #38
Nivek von Beldo

I fucking called it this...but i thought would be later, when either(nozomi, sayako) becomed a magical girl, what a way to ruin such cute slice of life chapter, but well as the evil magical girl say, the cards are set...now the fun begins.
Old 2019-01-25, 18:25   Link #39
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
I fucking called it this...but i thought would be later, when either(nozomi, sayako) becomed a magical girl, what a way to ruin such cute slice of life chapter, but well as the evil magical girl say, the cards are set...now the fun begins.
I don't think either Nozomi or Sayako will become magical girls, they don't strike me as having the potential to endure the horrors of war.
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-25, 18:31   Link #40
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
I don't think either Nozomi or Sayako will become magical girls, they don't strike me as having the potential to endure the horrors of war.
I thought originally, maybe not even in their own will but this twist helped to make things different, was simple but trully take me off guard, at least they pushed it quickly rather draging on.

Tags
seinen, torture