AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2009-02-16, 17:56   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, agreed --- very far-fetched. I didn't even think anyone would take it seriously. It is true that that mixed-race models are popular in Japan. Ami, however, is almost certainly full Japanese (or something would have been said at some point) but just one of the tall variants.
Old 2009-02-17, 21:12   Link #62
roan

I picked up the anime finalized setting material over yahoo auction. Since you guys were talking about height...

Oddly enough, it looks like Taiga's the one with Caucasian blood, and not Ami.
roan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 21:30   Link #63
typhonsentra

What do you mean?

And I guess Ami might not be 100% Japanese, according to the B-T translation her mom's name is "Anna". If it's supposed to be a foreign name it'd be spelled with katakana in the original text, can anyone check that?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 21:40   Link #64
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
What do you mean?
There are terms (彫りが深い) to describe Taiga's face which are used to describe classic European faces. Asian faces typically aren't described like that. Combine that with her use of English, Ryuuji's descriptions of her reactions being like a foreigner, and also the volume 9 description of the features of her mother's face being un-Japanese-like, it kind of fits.

Quote:
And I guess Ami might not be 100% Japanese, according to the B-T translation her mom's name is "Anna". If it's supposed to be a foreign name it'd be spelled with katakana in the original text, can anyone check that?
安奈 - That's a kanji name.

Last edited by roan; 2009-02-18 at 00:22.
Old 2009-02-17, 21:49   Link #65
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So we're left with some implication that Taiga might be a bit of "Anna Coppola" berserker style??? Very weird thought....
Old 2009-02-17, 22:51   Link #66
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So we're left with some implication that Taiga might be a bit of "Anna Coppola" berserker style??? Very weird thought....
Closer to a "Karen Stadtfield" maybe?

We'll find out more in the two weeks in the next volume, but back when the economy was a little bit better, there had been quite a few wealthy Japanese businessmen marrying attractive women from poorer countries.
Old 2009-02-17, 22:58   Link #67
typhonsentra

Do we know her mom's name, or is it always just "Taiga's mom" whenever she's mentioned?
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 23:15   Link #68
roan

*shrugs*
So far, she's just been called "Mama".
Old 2009-02-17, 23:22   Link #69
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Guess we'll also have to wait til later to see any pictures of 'Mama'. Unless they already exist?
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 14:48   Link #70
moshimouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
I picked up the anime finalized setting material over yahoo auction. Since you guys were talking about height...

Oddly enough, it looks like Taiga's the one with Caucasian blood, and not Ami.

for some reason i just assumed that Taiga was somewhat foreign. What with her hair, her personality and even something like her bed. I could of sworn too, that they mentioned it somewhere but it could've been one Ryuuji's reactions saying she acted like a foreigner.
moshimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 15:05   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Speculation: her dad being very rich, one might assume Taiga has at least traveled a lot. One might also think her schooling in a private Catholic school exposed her to many foreigners.

Its been noted that native Japanese children/teens who spend time overseas often end up having to attend "foreigner" schools after returning to Japan because they no longer "fit into the social system". Its almost like the untraveled kids can smell 'foreign taint' via things like body language, speech, and attitude.
Old 2009-02-18, 15:21   Link #72
moshimouse

Quote:
Speculation: her dad being very rich, one might assume Taiga has at least traveled a lot. One might also think her schooling in a private Catholic school exposed her to many foreigners.

Its been noted that native Japanese children/teens who spend time overseas often end up having to attend "foreigner" schools after returning to Japan because they no longer "fit into the social system". Its almost like the untraveled kids can smell 'foreign taint' via things like body language, speech, and attitude.

that is very true and since Catholic schools are usually very western and practice very western ideals, lets face it japan isn't really the Christian capital of the world. I can see your point on that one. And if I'm correct i believe that the Japanese generally like things native and usually have a tough time excepting foreigners? if my assumption is correct it could mean that Taiga might have a harder time fitting in than we imagined and it makes he fact that she has so many friends now all the more wondrous

i dont know i could be wrong for a ll i know.
moshimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 16:52   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its not really a matter of "accepting foreigners" its more a matter of they get nervous around foreigners... they *know* how their own social network responds and foreigners are less predictable or, worse, don't know the etiquette. They're also often terrified of having to use their English if the foreigner doesn't speak any Japanese. Someone who has spent time outside of "the Body" is going to behave and act "like a round peg fitting into a square hole", sometimes they can put the mask back on, sometimes not.

And yeah... maybe 1% of Japan is "Christian" and even then that's somewhat wishful thinking on the part of outside Christians since many take a Shinto view and just absorb in with their Shinto and Buddhist practices.

I'll have to go back and take a closer look at the novels in original Japanese after this is over and see if I can pick up references to Taiga that imply her background.
Old 2009-02-19, 02:01   Link #74
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:

Wow.

That pretty interesting to know. Id never have guessed they would have situations like that.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 16:08   Link #75
Fran~
floating away...

You can see that in a lot of female characters, the author use that to create characters like Sawachika Eri (from School Rumble)... it gives some complexity in order to put them in a whole different plane that the regular japanese girls/boys. Besides there is the link "Foreigner-Rich"... it's almost a cliché.
Old 2009-02-20, 12:34   Link #76
FeDeR

Hey ppl what was on that photo, that saw Minori in the Taiga's book. After that she tried to avoid Ryuji and Taiga..
FeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 13:06   Link #77
puppygod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeDeR View Post
Hey ppl what was on that photo, that saw Minori in the Taiga's book. After that she tried to avoid Ryuji and Taiga..
It's never stated - but it's implied that might be photo of Ryuji.
puppygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 23:51   Link #78
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
It's never stated - but it's implied that might be photo of Ryuji.
This is the most likely case I would say.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it happens often but it does happen if the kid can't go to a normal Japanese school. I'd say it's more of a problem with language then a problem with the social system though. I wouldn't be surprised if most returning kids were forced by their parents to attend normal Japanese schools to help acclimate them to Japanese life.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 21:56   Link #79
FeDeR

Actually i looked what it was and i got Frustrated in Minori's behaivior))) it was a photo of a dance with Kitamura xDDD May be there are some photos of Ryuuji but only that foto was shown in the end of 16th episode)
FeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 22:07   Link #80
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
I think everybody's talking about the picture underneath the Kitamura picture that we don't get to see. The speculation is on what picture that is.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a