AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-04-20, 21:47   Link #1
Kenii

Making amv?

what programs do you use to make anime music videos?
Kenii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:48   Link #2
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
Try Windows Media Maker. It is the cheapest, and one of the more decent ones ^^.
Old 2008-04-20, 21:52   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
If you do use WMM, try and download extra effects.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:54   Link #4
xxmimixx
♥Sebastian's new wife♥
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to xxmimixx Send a message via Yahoo to xxmimixx
^ Yeah. Without effects, the video would look blah. Believe me.

And for a more error free and trojan free ones, try Esnap (I believe). You have to register an account, and it is free.
Old 2008-04-20, 22:45   Link #5
MusoukaProductions
Kick reason to the curb

I'm still new to AMV making, but I must say that you should NOT use a lot of effects unless you use them correctly. Don't just throw tons of effects in there just because you can. Simple cutting and synching to music is a good way to start. Try to make the AMV have some sort of concept too, don't just throw in random clips from an anime to the music. Also, don't use fansubs, they are really annoying. While WMM is good for a free program, it really pales in comparison to the commercial products out there such as Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier. Of course, these cost money, but you can get their "lite" versions (Movie Studio for Vegas) for a reasonable price.
MusoukaProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 22:51   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoukaProductions View Post
I'm still new to AMV making, but I must say that you should NOT use a lot of effects unless you use them correctly. Don't just throw tons of effects in there just because you can. Simple cutting and synching to music is a good way to start. Try to make the AMV have some sort of concept too, don't just throw in random clips from an anime to the music. Also, don't use fansubs, they are really annoying. While WMM is good for a free program, it really pales in comparison to the commercial products out there such as Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier. Of course, these cost money, but you can get their "lite" versions (Movie Studio for Vegas) for a reasonable price.
This is generally true. The first thing you should try to learn is beat sync, which is coordinating your clip changes to the beat of the song. Learn which beats, when the song as a whole changes, and be consistent about it. I've used many of the WMM "effects" but the ones that I always use now are fade to the next clip, fade to white, fade to black, fade to black/fade from white (flashing, not to be overdone). That's all you need for a good video, and you should avoid those fancy "shatter" effects and "heart-shaped" transitions, since it only makes the AMV look weird.

Although I agree that WMM is inferior to Adobe Premier/Sony Vegas, I'm not the one to download illegal copies of these products, and I can tell you that you can make great anime using WMM only (with some extra downloaded effects). Of course, it is harder to do so if you're trying to make a pure action AMV or one that relies heavily on mostly beat sync, but generally, you can capture romance and comedy well without impeccable beat sync and quality.

-Your fellow WMM user.
Old 2008-04-21, 04:16   Link #7
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
Yes WMM is simple and free BUT:

-Sometimes it can't controle fast scenes, what happens: You won't see you're video progress cause its shocking or the programme gets stuck and u need to start over (altought it does save bits)

-When you make an video and put alot of work in it, sometimes it won't save.

Just to react on nasty comments: no this doesnt only happen on my pc!, i've heard this story so many times...

Other good programmes are:
ulead video studio: you can download a 30 day trial or just download the hacked on. It's simple and nice to work with.
Sony vegas: This is one if the better programmes among video editing, altought you need to buy for it or buy the hacked one... It's not as simple as WMM and ulead but if you follow a few tutorials about how the programme works its simple.

I'd say try WMM but if you try to make faster video's and more video's then you will notice this programme gets stuck sooooo many times and you would throw you're pc out of the window...

-AMV maker for 4 years, user of sony vegas for 1 year
Shinbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 09:53   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Well that is true. I learn to set the autosave function to 2 minutes. It's still what you get for using free stuff.
Old 2008-04-21, 12:47   Link #9
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi_girl View Post
^ Yeah. Without effects, the video would look blah. Believe me.

And for a more error free and trojan free ones, try Esnap (I believe). You have to register an account, and it is free.
Already said, but absolutely untrue.

There are no real hard-and-fast rules for making videos, except to make sure it looks good to you.

Timing clips to the song is a good idea, but honestly if you didn't do that people probably wouldn't notice -- except if it's a dance AMV.

I would say the first thing to take note of is, will your AMV based around the song or around a theme/around the anime? That will completely define how you approach making it.

A song-based AMV is more likely to have actions matching the lyrics -- "he says exactly the right thing at exactly the right time" is more apt to show someone... well, speaking.

With a theme-based AMV, this is less important: "he says exactly the right thing at exactly the right time" could also show two people holding hands or kissing.

A fun, happy, high-paced AMV or an action-packed AMV will have many, quick cuts.
But a more dramatic or romantic video may linger on certain shots for a bit longer.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 12:50   Link #10
IHaveCrayons

Adobe Premiere is the most pro one if you want to get serious, then again it's just an AMV but hey lots of people go overboard.
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 13:10   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
if you have a good pc combine Adobe After Effects with Adobe Premiere, though you'll have to know what you're doing if you want to combine the things =3
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 23:14   Link #12
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

There's always AMV.org's guides...
Old 2008-04-24, 00:42   Link #13
wnmnkh
Not that simple.

Use Adobe Premiere Elements. And I think this should go to IT support...
Old 2008-04-24, 06:44   Link #14
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
I use Windows Movie Maker.. I enjoy using it, though the limitations ARE sometimes a bit obvious.
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote