AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-15, 19:55   Link #27461
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The device contained ball-bearings and other anti-personal weapons. It apparently exploded near ground level and inflected massive damage on the legs of people nearby. The hospitals are reporting at least half-a-dozen or more amputations.

The confirmed injury toll is now nearly 140. Authorities expect a substantial number of poeple are walking around with concussions and other effects but are unaware of their conditions. Most commentators described the people walking away from the scene as in "shock," with blank expressions and disorientation.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:01   Link #27462
ChainLegacy
廉頗

One thing I worry about in these situations is that the people responsible crave the kind of massive attention they're now receiving. There's no solution to this problem, of course, but it makes me want to wince when I realize everyone's natural concern and dismay is playing right into the hands of the perpetrator(s)'s desire for recognition.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:27   Link #27463
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
One thing I worry about in these situations is that the people responsible crave the kind of massive attention they're now receiving. There's no solution to this problem, of course, but it makes me want to wince when I realize everyone's natural concern and dismay is playing right into the hands of the perpetrator(s)'s desire for recognition.
If I may... for a rare occasion, I'd condone a summary execution from the moment the guy (or girl) gets cornered with the burden of proof. That's how a media circus surrounding the fool desiring recognition would be avoided.

Sorry for the harsh words, but the prospect of finding such kind of scumbag as the perpetrator is just driving me nuts. I just want to see that mother****** dead.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:32   Link #27464
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll support summary execution of those who support summary execution. Frankly it's depressing how so many would support overly brutal methods that undermine the basis of democracy.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:42   Link #27465
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I'll support summary execution of those who support summary execution. Frankly it's depressing how so many would support overly brutal methods that undermine the basis of democracy.
Depressing for you perhaps, but there are wolves disguised as humans out there who don't even earn the right to be even called human beings. Pieces of shit, that's what they are.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:43   Link #27466
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'll admit that under particularly heinous circumstances, like the Newtown shooting, I find myself personally wanting to inflict pain and suffering on the perpetrator. I believe this to be a human instinct and it is the basis for the desire to punish people physically and execute them. There's the argument of sending a strong message to future would-be criminals (which is an ancient line of thinking in and of itself), but I've always been of the opinion that this is a rationale that's applied after the instinctual desire to inflict punishment. One can easily see how, in our evolutionary past, physical punishment and vengeance was the only practical option and it very well may be an underlying, inherent factor in human psychology.

I'm not above it by any means. When I see these villains, I have a desire to see them in pain and I sometimes wouldn't mind being the person to inflict that pain. When I'm of a more clear frame of mind, however, I do see big problems with that. I don't support the death penalty, but I can understand why some people do.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:44   Link #27467
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I would have to agree, plus by capturing them alive you increase you chance of obtaining more information, which might be more valuable than some shot term satisfaction obtained with the rapid execution, especialy if the action was made from a group rather than by a individual.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:54   Link #27468
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I'll admit that under particularly heinous circumstances, like the Newtown shooting, I find myself personally wanting to inflict pain and suffering on the perpetrator. I believe this to be a human instinct and it is the basis for the desire to punish people physically and execute them. There's the argument of sending a strong message to future would-be criminals (which is an ancient line of thinking in and of itself), but I've always been of the opinion that this is a rationale that's applied after the instinctual desire to inflict punishment. One can easily see how, in our evolutionary past, physical punishment and vengeance was the only practical option and it very well may be an underlying, inherent factor in human psychology.

I'm not above it by any means. When I see these villains, I have a desire to see them in pain and I sometimes wouldn't mind being the person to inflict that pain. When I'm of a more clear frame of mind, however, I do see big problems with that. I don't support the death penalty, but I can understand why some people do.
Thanks for this input. That's exactly the feeling I've got right now.

Furthermore, I have a friend living in Boston; she's alright though. No wonder why I get emotional with this.
Old 2013-04-15, 20:59   Link #27469
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yeah, a fellow I've co-broked with in some real estate transactions actually owns an office very close to those blasts (on Newbury St). He was supposed to be having a party for the marathon, too. I hope he wasn't caught in it, good guy.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:01   Link #27470
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
If I may... for a rare occasion, I'd condone a summary execution from the moment the guy (or girl) gets cornered with the burden of proof. That's how a media circus surrounding the fool desiring recognition would be avoided.

Sorry for the harsh words, but the prospect of finding such kind of scumbag as the perpetrator is just driving me nuts. I just want to see that mother****** dead.
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, and in the end we'll all be left with no eye and no tooth. Pretty good solution you got there huh?
Old 2013-04-15, 21:08   Link #27471
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

An 8 year old boy is one of those that died. Someone said they saw a woman with most of her jaw missing. Some people lost both legs at the knees or lost both legs completely. Some people lost a foot or both feet. 15-20 people are in critical condition. Some people had amputations.

You're right, summary execution of the criminal or criminals behind this isn't the answer, but let someone angry say those things. Let people blow some steam at injustice. I want the scumbag person or people that did this to suffer. If they had a perp that they knew for sure was responsible for this and someone murdered him through vigilante justice, I wouldn't care one bit. If they got brutally killed in prison, same thing. I'd say "serves them right".
Old 2013-04-15, 21:19   Link #27472
Ridwan

Revenge fantasy is cool.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:22   Link #27473
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Revenge fantasy is cool.

I'm not really thinking much on it. I'm just saying, it there was vigilante justice against the perp, my attitude would be "serves them right".
Old 2013-04-15, 21:25   Link #27474
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
An 8 year old boy is one of those that died. Someone said they saw a woman with most of her jaw missing. Some people lost both legs at the knees or lost both legs completely. Some people lost a foot or both feet. 15-20 people are in critical condition. Some people had amputations.

You're right, summary execution of the criminal or criminals behind this isn't the answer, but let someone angry say those things. Let people blow some steam at injustice. I want the scumbag person or people that did this to suffer. If they had a perp that they knew for sure was responsible for this and someone murdered him through vigilante justice, I wouldn't care one bit. If they got brutally killed in prison, same thing. I'd say "serves them right".
I am sorry but I don't like that kind of thinking. In many occasions where people's emotional dictate, we regret it. That kinda of mentality is why it is so easy for American to lose its civil liberty little by little. We should be more rational in this kinda events.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:30   Link #27475
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I am sorry but I don't like that kind of thinking. In many occasions where people's emotional dictate, we regret it. That kinda of mentality is why it is so easy for American to lose its civil liberty little by little. We should be more rational in this kinda events.
Eh, I don't see what's the big deal, worse things are said about far less deserving things all the time.

Personally, I say we rationally throw the whole book at the perpetrator(s) after(if) he/she/they are caught, and give them the needle. It'd be far more than what they'd deserve, but at least some measure of justice will be done.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:32   Link #27476
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
The person who did this is terrible. My point is, whatever bad things come his way, I'm not going to feel bad for them.

I don't actually believe in vigilante justice. But this guy committed a terrorist act. And if they were a victim of vigilante justice (which is a big if), I wouldn't care. I wouldn't hoot and holler and dance in the streets, but I wouldn't feel bad for them if that happened to them.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:34   Link #27477
Xion Valkyrie

According to some news outlets the police have a Saudi national in custody. However, no big news outlet has reported on it yet.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:36   Link #27478
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
According to some news outlets the police have a Saudi national in custody. However, no big news outlet has reported on it yet.
He's a suspect, but it remains to be seen if he is the one responsible for this.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:41   Link #27479
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
I want the scumbag person or people that did this to suffer. If they had a perp that they knew for sure was responsible for this and someone murdered him through vigilante justice, I wouldn't care one bit. If they got brutally killed in prison, same thing. I'd say "serves them right".
That's a rather natural reaction, the want of some kind of revenge, but it don't make it the best thig to do, moraly or practicaly. A dead body do not talk much and for now knowig if there's something else comming would be much more usefull to us all than to know than the ones than put the bombs there is dead.

There's a time for everything and revenge or punition shouldn't be comming first ( it should rather be at the end ), taking care of the victims and learning who did this should be the priority.
Old 2013-04-15, 21:48   Link #27480
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Eh, I don't see what's the big deal, worse things are said about far less deserving things all the time.

Personally, I say we rationally throw the whole book at the perpetrator(s) after(if) he/she/they are caught, and give them the needle. It'd be far more than what they'd deserve, but at least some measure of justice will be done.
It is more than what is being said, but the result that will come after. I don't want angers and other emotions to cloud our judgement. I fear that this will be just another incident where people's emotion will allow the government to exchange freedom for security.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international