AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 18
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 16 14.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 30 27.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 29 26.61%
7 out of 10 : Good... 20 18.35%
6 out of 10 : Average... 5 4.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 2 1.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 3 2.75%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-04, 05:54   Link #101
Wigwams

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
So wait, does she know it's him or not? Kirito's character looks so much like him, only an idiot wouldn't be able to see it. Or maybe I'm mistaken. I need clarification, please!
suguha doesnt realize kirito = kazuto.
Old 2012-11-04, 06:01   Link #102
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
suguha doesnt realize kirito = kazuto.
Is there like...a certain something preventing her from knowing? He looks and sounds EXACTLY like him.
Old 2012-11-04, 06:09   Link #103
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Is there like...a certain something preventing her from knowing? He looks and sounds EXACTLY like him.
You know.... in some sense... drama and anime are the same.... It's already obvious but they still don't buy it....

Suguha: "Kirito is Oniichan....?"

Kazuto: " Yes , I'm Kirito ... who loves Asuna very, very much..."

Suguha: " No, you're in your room."

*Suguna logs out.

Suguha goes to Kirito's room. Sees Kirito in bed.

Suguha: "Impossible!!!"

God....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 06:09   Link #104
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
That's just for the convenience of us anime watchers.

Ingame (i.e. inside the story) his game avatar would look and sound different from his real life one.
(that and in anime medium everyone looks the same from the get-go anyways).
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 06:17   Link #105
Esebian

Quote:
Hmm, it seems this is a theme in every episode thread ^^

Firstly he doesn't look exactly like him, even if we take the elve-ears out of the equation. In a game where you can freely change your appearance at the beginning you won't imagine anyone looks like his real self or even has his real gender.

Secondly although that is not conveyed in the anime, it should be clear that they don't sound the same. That would be simply impossible as the NerveGear/Amusphere couldn't possibly know how your voice is like. Remember, when you are saying sth in a VRMMO you don't say anything in real so you can't simply use a microphone for transmitting the voice.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 06:17   Link #106
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
I have to disagree there, Recon was perfectly willing to accompany Kirito and Leafa, but he said he was going to stay behind because of his suspicions. Based on the last 20 seconds of the episode, his actions seem more legitimate. Playing an undercover mole takes as much determination as what Kirito and Leafa are doing, it's just a different kind of it. (with his personality he's actually quite suited for that kind of thing)
But that's the determination to follow. There's still something very... beta about him. If Kirito's the type to go off on his own rather than fight for alpha status, Recon's the type to be content to be following someone. (In this case, Suguha.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 06:20   Link #107
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But that's the determination to follow. There's still something very... beta about him. If Kirito's the type to go off on his own rather than fight for alpha status, Recon's the type to be content to be following someone. (In this case, Suguha.)
Fooling them by saying the opposite...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-11-04 at 08:46.
Old 2012-11-04, 06:37   Link #108
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Fair enough, it was close enough to my theory on it, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for all the input, now I can focus on why the subbers can't make up their mind on how to spell "Lyfa". :3
Old 2012-11-04, 06:40   Link #109
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough, it was close enough to my theory on it, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for all the input, now I can focus on why the subbers can't make up their mind on how to spell "Lyfa". :3
Funny.. whenever I search for Suguha using "Leafa" only few comes out.. but when "Lyfa" .. woah!!! A lot of them....
Old 2012-11-04, 08:01   Link #110
Jinx999

OK. Someone appears to have nudged the grauitous fanservice slider up more than few notches.

And one of my biggest complaints about this arc. Sugou's such a massive pile of villian cliches that it's hard to take him seriously. Between the creepy near rapist, mad scientist, corrupt corporate executive, megalomaniac and sadistic tale teller, when does he find time to sleep?
Jinx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 08:19   Link #111
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He's not that bad, but yes, he is the kind of "nice guy" who expects a happy end if he just sticks with it long enough. Too many movies with that exact plot, I guess.

(And I don't see how he's much like Kirito. Even in-game, he's not that good.

And Kirito has gained confidence from his years in SAO.

And he's not trying to get into anyone's pants save Asuna's, so it's really no surprise Suguha would react completely differently.
)
I actually never understood the negative troupe of the "Nice Guy" before this so if this anime did something right so is Recon it. It's pretty easy to see that Suguha is anoyed by his assumptions about how him having been nice to her should automaticly gain him romantic rights to her. I guess there is something to the proverb: "Assumptions makes an ass out of you and me.". In a way so is Recon a slightly milder version of the objectifying that the party leader does of Leafa.

It's easy to see why she finds it easy to get along with Kirito as he makes no assumptions at all. He even argues against her some when she offers to help him out. So the free spirited Suguha gets along a lot easier with Kirito as her taging along with him is totally her own choise and nothing he assumes is his right.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 08:36   Link #112
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just watched the episode. I agree that not much is happening, but I still enjoy. Partly due to Suguha fanservice .

Ok seriously though, somehow I enjoy this arc a bit more than the previous one. Maybe it’s because there’s not a lot of time-skip/period-jump so that I can slowly understand the characters’ motivation and development. I also have to commend Kirito for standing up for Leafa even if it means facing (online) death at the hand of Sigurd .

Btw, does Recon’s weird standing manner is due to Suguha always hit him in the stomach with her Shinai? Also, does Recon feel the "pain" when Leafa stepped on his foot? Seeing his reaction, it seems like that.
Old 2012-11-04, 08:44   Link #113
Peanutbutter

This arc is really about delicious Suguha.

Quite a change from SAO's one episode in a arc style in ALO, but it allows further expansion of the universe they are in. Though the storytelling at times does feel dated and too forced at times.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 08:44   Link #114
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't like the Suguha fanservice. Her humongus chest is distracting. Little sister characters shouldn't be like that!

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-11-10 at 02:34.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 09:40   Link #115
Green˛
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Funny.. whenever I search for Suguha using "Leafa" only few comes out.. but when "Lyfa" .. woah!!! A lot of them....
Lyfa got the Eruru treatment. (Eruruu/Eruru/Eluluu. The later being used for the US DVD releases of Utawarerumono.)

Now you have Leefa to add to that list.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 10:20   Link #116
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Ask the Author?

Because he is just the ADMIN of the GAME.

You just answered it yourself.

Love will get us through...

He is desperate and distress..... It would have been worst if not for Yui and Leafa

After 18 episodes?! Just now?

Why posted it then?
The Sarcasm was literally dripping through our monitors man..
Old 2012-11-04, 10:30   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
The Sarcasm was literally dripping through our monitors man..
I guess Genji is bad with written sarcasm.

C’mon Genji. You’ve been hanging around here since 2010. Learn from experience buddy!
Old 2012-11-04, 11:11   Link #118
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Fair enough, but what the complainers fail to explain is how to tell a coherent story with this since without Asuna's captivity, Sogou no longer has a direct way to get ahold of Asuna's father's comapny, Kirito would have no reason to go to the new game and no one would find out about the SAO survivor captives until it's too late and the entire story would require an extensive if not total rewrite.
"Hi, I'm a government agent investigating the 300 people who didn't wake up after SAO ended, and I have reason to believe that the company that bought out Argus has something to do with it. Kirito, Asuna, I need your help as super-badass experts on VRMMO to help me infiltrate this system and get the proof I need."

Or Kawahara could've done a completely different story about how Asuna's parents don't want her seeing Kirito and they have to use a new MMO to continue their relationship while recovering from the mental trauma of SAO.

The notion that putting Asuna in a cage and threatening her with rape is the only way the story could've gone is absurd -- it's just the writer taking an easy route full of bad, cliched writing and cardboard characters.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 11:36   Link #119
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The notion that putting Asuna in a cage and threatening her with rape is the only way the story could've gone is absurd -- it's just the writer taking an easy route full of bad, cliched writing and cardboard characters.
How is the notion of kidnapping a girl and threatening her with rape "absurd?" Quite frankly, not only do I find that statement incredibally close-minded, but also naive and very offensive.

People in real life have actually been kidnapped, locked up and raped in real life, so to say that Asuna's situation is absurd is very very offensive and insulting.

Good day
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 12:03   Link #120
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
"Hi, I'm a government agent investigating the 300 people who didn't wake up after SAO ended, and I have reason to believe that the company that bought out Argus has something to do with it. Kirito, Asuna, I need your help as super-badass experts on VRMMO to help me infiltrate this system and get the proof I need."

Or Kawahara could've done a completely different story about how Asuna's parents don't want her seeing Kirito and they have to use a new MMO to continue their relationship while recovering from the mental trauma of SAO.

It is not the easy route it is just one route. I agree it would have more interesting if he chose a diffident premise, but that doesn't mean this type of story is immediately wrong. Asuna is for example pro-active with trying to escape and isn't only relying on Kirito to save her.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote