AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-30, 22:09   Link #4381
DMurphy

... Guys, you're all talking about a Ruby/Jaune romance, but I just watched the episode and there's nothing romantic there. They act like friends act -- in fact, their interactions are so archetypaly friend-ish that they might as well come from a How To Write Friends manual.

I know people get kind of antsy if the female and male leads of a show aren't getting together, but honestly, you're seeing something that isn't there, at least not yet.

If anything, the final scene of the episode puts a very sharp kibosh on any kind of romance for Jaune, at least for the moment, and I don't see that as changing in this volume.

As for Ruby's PTSD -- it's important to remember as far as screen depictions of PTSD go that it's very difficult to portray in an audiovisual medium something that is very much not audiovisual in nature, especially when it's something that is often very individualised.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 01:01   Link #4382
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I could see a romance between the two eventually, they have had some chemistry in the past that took a backseat to Phyrra.

but doubt it would happen anytime soon, the wound is still too raw for both Jaune and Ruby considering the personal nature of Phyrra's death for both of them.

I could see an attraction forming from Ruby's end as time passes and she grows older, but Phyrra's death keeping her from acting on it.
Old 2016-10-31, 02:19   Link #4383
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
... Guys, you're all talking about a Ruby/Jaune romance, but I just watched the episode and there's nothing romantic there. They act like friends act -- in fact, their interactions are so archetypaly friend-ish that they might as well come from a How To Write Friends manual.
This is RWBY. If any two characters so much as make eye contact with each other, there will be an army of people rabidly shipping them within a day, and another army of people wailing and cutting themselves over the travesty that the writers are performing in "promoting" this unholy ship (translation: "invalidating" other, similarly formed ships).

I'm pretty much convinced that if it weren't for the most vocal portion of its fandom, RWBY would be a lot more popular.
Old 2016-10-31, 04:37   Link #4384
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
This is RWBY. If any two characters so much as make eye contact with each other, there will be an army of people rabidly shipping them within a day, and another army of people wailing and cutting themselves over the travesty that the writers are performing in "promoting" this unholy ship (translation: "invalidating" other, similarly formed ships).

I'm pretty much convinced that if it weren't for the most vocal portion of its fandom, RWBY would be a lot more popular.
See, this is why I don't get involved in the shipping aspect of RWBY. I personally do not care one bit about who romantically gets involved with who in the show canon.
Old 2016-10-31, 05:04   Link #4385
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
See, this is why I don't get involved in the shipping aspect of RWBY. I personally do not care one bit about who romantically gets involved with who in the show canon.
Totally agreed. I'd rather enjoy the story as is than let those shipping wars affect my enjoyment
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 05:43   Link #4386
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I guess everyone just plain forgot that Jaune was chasing after Weiss until Pyrrha kissed him and subsequently died and therefore were never actually in a relationship.

Oh, right, I forgot, the only requirement for a relationship to exist is that the girl wants it, nothing else matters. The man should just put his penis inside her already.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 08:51   Link #4387
The 48th Ronin

Personally, I really don't think there'll be any serious progress on the romance department of this show. There would be some tidbits here and there, but that's it.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 09:19   Link #4388
Sixth
Hu Tao

I felt happy when I saw the "wrecked" Cindy got insulted by her peers non-stop. Karma is really a bitch.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 09:59   Link #4389
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
?

What makes you think that?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 10:27   Link #4390
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Ruby isn't Monkey D Luffy, she isn't a brainless twit that doesn't even know what romance is. She's a child and as she grows, romantic feelings will come around. If you don't want her to be paired with Jaune, that's fine...but don't play it as "She has shown no romantic interest so far........but I'm ok with her having one with Weiss". That's kinda hypocritical.
Not hypocritical. Weiss is a character Ruby has showed the most emotional investment in. It is the person Ruby is shown thinking about even in this season. And if Ruby is demisexual it would makes sense. Its the only pairing for her that actually has some buildup be it a friendship or romantic kind of(albeit not as much as Yang/Blake, which is pretty much THE romance in terms of narrative subtext)

Otherwise, as Ruby's VA said a lot of times, aromantic sexual identity fits Ruby the most and there's no man or woman in the show that would fit Ruby right now.

Quote:
How would it be spitting in the face of Pyrrha? She's dead, Jaune and the rest need to move on. What? Now Jaune can't have any romantic feelings for anyone else? That's ridiculous.
Getting Jaune with Ruby would mean Pyrrha died to get her out of the way.
I have defended Pyrrha's tragic fate a lot overall and thought it made sense. But I would not be defending THAT.

Quote:
Yes, it's too soon....we also haven't seen any indication that it is happening or that it will happen. Not saying the romance has to start now, but it could eventually and it would be another step for Jaune to move on.
Ruby, a female character, being just a "step" for Jaune, a male's development? nope nope nope. That's not how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
You're the only one that thinks its out of place, because you don't want that pairing to happen. Not liking the pairing is fine, but don't make it out as it being wrong just because its not what you want.
Nope. Plenty of us feel that way. Huge part of fanbase is dissatisfied with possibility of it, including Ruby's VA who has always advocated for Ruby to stay aromantic.

Most of fandom applauded the show avoiding the cliche of throwing two leads together and actually allowing Ruby to stay independent character from him. Majority of fandom genuinely like that RUby and Jaune have a platonic kind of friendship not bound to a cliched romance.
And Arkos was HUGE. Ruby/Jaune went out of the window completely the moment Arkos gained so much popularity and the moment Pyrrha was killed.

Getting those two together would effectively kill the show:
  • It would annoy Arkos Fanbase, which is HUGE
  • It would give more fuel to people who feel Jaune is usurping the show(I am not one of them and I always defended his development but even for me this feels excessive). I do understand why some people would feel that way as Ruby Weiss Yang and Blake are THE characters that created the fandom and to whom the fandom was drawn towards. They are the reason t he show is popular - people came to watch four independent interesting capable women kick ass and take names.
  • It would offend and alienate one of the BIGGEST shipping fandoms in the show - White Rose
  • It would offend all the aromantic people who identify with Ruby's lack of any sort of romantic focus.

And RT already can't afford to rock the boat with other scandals and problematic things rocking it.

Last edited by Harry Dresden; 2016-10-31 at 10:44.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 10:28   Link #4391
RDNexus

Why must people care about shippings? Does it take people anywhere?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 10:39   Link #4392
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
including Ruby's VA who has always advocated for Ruby to stay aromantic.
When did she say that?

Quote:
And Arkos was HUGE.
Again, Arkos is dead. It's a shame, since I loved that pairing, but that's reality.

Quote:
Getting those two together would effectively kill the show.
Now you're just exaggerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Why must people care about shippings? Does it take people anywhere?
You might as well ask why people care about stories at all.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 11:58   Link #4393
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
?

Heh... Still need me to answer that...?
Old 2016-10-31, 16:59   Link #4394
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Damn this last scene! Jaune really needs a hug.
Just look how he beats himself up over Phyrra's death.

Also I never would have thought to say this... but Ruby looks pretty (never thought of her like that before)... her new design really is doing her good.
Old 2016-10-31, 18:43   Link #4395
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

'Arkos' was apparently so 'huge' that it never even happened. And what's with giving weird names to ships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
?

I think they are referring to the rabid fanbase scaring people away. Like what happens with Undertale. Or maybe more appropriately, Homestuck (what with all the rampant shipping).
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 18:46   Link #4396
tuckersister

Jaune is the only one in the group that knows the maidens are real. I wonder if He and the group will come across one.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 18:47   Link #4397
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Weird ship names are more of a reddit thing. Feel free to ignore it. The ship sheet for RWBY is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 18:51   Link #4398
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The ship sheet for RWBY is one of the best things I've ever seen.
I agree
Old 2016-10-31, 19:06   Link #4399
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Seems legit.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 19:08   Link #4400
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
'Arkos' was apparently so 'huge' that it never even happened. And what's with giving weird names to ships?
In fffairness, while I know what you mean, I do think Jaune and Pyrrha were very overtly written as having feelings for each other. I think the argument could definitely be made that Jaune and Pyrrha were the show's flagship couple, keeping in mind that it's not unusual for flagship couples to have a will-they-won't-they thing going on.

But then, that's a small part of the tragedy of the situation: Their romance was cut very, very short.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby