AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2011-11-12, 14:15   Link #6681
TigerII
Pilot in Training

So it has been like 3 years since I have even looked up FMP. Did the novels ever get finished or are they still being delayed? Anyone have a summary of the last book?
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-12, 15:41   Link #6682
MisterBaka

It's been a year since the final novel came out. It has been translated.
This August a spinoff/sequel novel was released. There is a summary, but no translation.
MisterBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 20:27   Link #6683
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBaka View Post
It's been a year since the final novel came out. It has been translated.
This August a spinoff/sequel novel was released. There is a summary, but no translation.
Is it serious stuff starting a new arc or funny stuff? I take it since there is more coming, Souske lived then.
Old 2011-11-16, 20:37   Link #6684
FeistyDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Is it serious stuff starting a new arc or funny stuff? I take it since there is more coming, Souske lived then.
FMPAnother has totally different characters. So far the only people from the old crew that we've seen are Mao and Ono-D (in totally separate capacities). It takes place 11 years after the end of the main story (which makes it 13 years from the start of the FMP series).

At the moment, it's pretty light-hearted and comedic. The male lead is Tatsuya Ichinose, a 3rd year student at Jindai High (where Ono-D, now a geography teacher, is also his homeroom teacher). He's a bit of a perv, likes the older ladies, and loves doing work on Power Slaves (mini civvie-use AS-like machines that aren't built for combat, but for utility, like construction or deforesting or what-have-you). The female lead is Adelina Aleksandrovna Kerenskaya, working for a PMC called DOMS (Dana O'Shee Military Service). Mao seems to be pretty much running DOMS, which is how we see her again. 'Lina seems to have a difficult time telling when someone is messing with her, considering Mao finds it easy to convince her to cosplay XD

I still haven't sat down and read it, don't know WHY. I've had it for two and a half months, now... So, yeah, can't give many details on the new characters, 'cause I haven't actually read it yet, though I did read the summaries. ...I guess I'm just being really lazy =.=

Second volume comes out December 20th, perhaps the action will pick up.
Old 2011-11-16, 22:03   Link #6685
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyDreams View Post
FMPAnother has totally different characters. So far the only people from the old crew that we've seen are Mao and Ono-D (in totally separate capacities). It takes place 11 years after the end of the main story (which makes it 13 years from the start of the FMP series).

At the moment, it's pretty light-hearted and comedic. The male lead is Tatsuya Ichinose, a 3rd year student at Jindai High (where Ono-D, now a geography teacher, is also his homeroom teacher). He's a bit of a perv, likes the older ladies, and loves doing work on Power Slaves (mini civvie-use AS-like machines that aren't built for combat, but for utility, like construction or deforesting or what-have-you). The female lead is Adelina Aleksandrovna Kerenskaya, working for a PMC called DOMS (Dana O'Shee Military Service). Mao seems to be pretty much running DOMS, which is how we see her again. 'Lina seems to have a difficult time telling when someone is messing with her, considering Mao finds it easy to convince her to cosplay XD

I still haven't sat down and read it, don't know WHY. I've had it for two and a half months, now... So, yeah, can't give many details on the new characters, 'cause I haven't actually read it yet, though I did read the summaries. ...I guess I'm just being really lazy =.=

Second volume comes out December 20th, perhaps the action will pick up.

I take it Lina is Soviet(Since the USSR still exists)?
Old 2011-11-16, 23:45   Link #6686
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That reminds me. Where there every any political maps for Full Metal Panic's universe? I know somethings are rather different in their continuing Cold War.

(also is there a political/historical timeline about events that are different from ours as to why the Cold War continues and just what has changed.)
Old 2011-11-17, 07:33   Link #6687
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That reminds me. Where there every any political maps for Full Metal Panic's universe? I know somethings are rather different in their continuing Cold War.

(also is there a political/historical timeline about events that are different from ours as to why the Cold War continues and just what has changed.)
  • China has split into the People's Liberation Committee (North China) and the Democratic Chinese Alliance (South China) along the Yangtze River. Kowloon is a North Chinese territory, while Hong Kong Island is held by South Chinese forces. Combat in Hong Kong is prohibited by terms of a recent peace treaty.Hong Kong is split much like Berlin.
  • A nuclear warhead was used in the 1991 Gulf War. This triggered the Fifth Middle East War.
  • Following the beginning of the fifth Middle East war, the Soviet Union successfully reinvaded Afghanistan, which is called Helmajistan in the series.
  • Mikhail Gorbachev was assassinated and Perestroika was halted.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 14:13   Link #6688
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
  • China has split into the People's Liberation Committee (North China) and the Democratic Chinese Alliance (South China) along the Yangtze River. Kowloon is a North Chinese territory, while Hong Kong Island is held by South Chinese forces. Combat in Hong Kong is prohibited by terms of a recent peace treaty.Hong Kong is split much like Berlin.
  • A nuclear warhead was used in the 1991 Gulf War. This triggered the Fifth Middle East War.
  • Following the beginning of the fifth Middle East war, the Soviet Union successfully reinvaded Afghanistan, which is called Helmajistan in the series.
  • Mikhail Gorbachev was assassinated and Perestroika was halted.
So the ISAF and NATO invasion of Afghanistan never occurred, what about Iraq? The series doesn't talk about the Western world much. It has been so long, I don't remember.
Old 2011-11-17, 15:13   Link #6689
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
So the ISAF and NATO invasion of Afghanistan never occurred, what about Iraq? The series doesn't talk about the Western world much. It has been so long, I don't remember.
From "Birth of the TDD" it's I think most of the info we have about the history of FMP

Quote:
Mardukas : Then, one day, a subordinate informed me that a nuclear weapon had been used in the northern part of Kuwait. American and British troops there had suffered heavy losses. An order from Headquarters immediately followed, ordering us to return to the theater of war in range of our cruise missiles.

Anybody who watched the news at the time remembers well the chaos that followed this incident. An American soldier was being interviewed in live at that time. Then - an incredible flash over his shoulder, in the distance, behind the city; the camera that went white, registered a terrible noise, then was cut off.

At first no one could understand the real state of affairs on the ground. In a few hours, however, the United States government concluded that it was a nuclear weapon, launched by the order of Saddam Hussein, and hysterical demands for revenge followed. The Iraqi government made a feeble attempt at denying it, declaring that it was a charade performed by unknown actors. At first, the casualties were estimated at several thousand, but the next day it became clear that the real number was close to one hundred thousand. A frightening number.

A nuclear strike in retaliation, which would have been the fourth in human history, was fortunately avoided by frantic persuasion from the government of the USSR, but it remained unknown as to who actually used that nuclear bomb. Major media channels including the BBC and CNN reported it as Saddam's deed, and most people seem to believe that version. However, military staff had to have known that at that point in time the Iraqi army hardly had the capability to use a nuclear weapon. The Arab countries' relations with Israel by then had become irreparably damaged, and the fifth Middle Eastern war had begun. The fighting that begun then continues to this day.

But that was not the end of it.

Approximately half a year later, a coup d'état happened in the Soviet Union, and Secretary General Gorbachev was assassinated in the confusion. The new reactionary leadership seized control of the army, and once again invaded Afghanistan, from which the Soviet army retreated scarcely a year ago. And my work of patrolling and hunting for Soviet submarines, which had almost become leisurely, suddenly became as important as ever.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 16:42   Link #6690
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well also recall that most of the "history" in Full Metal Panic goes until around I suppose the middle of 2001. Only the most recent project is in 2011 and we have little knowledge from it yet.

Thus real world historical events post 2001 would not be covered yet in FMP material until such time as FMP:Another fills in those blanks.

My question were just on stuff leading up to FMP itself in 1999. A good FMP:2011 update would be wonderful, but I don't think that much has come out yet.
Old 2011-11-17, 18:58   Link #6691
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I'd guess with the new USSR, the JSDF would be on high alert again, considering how close Kamchatka is. Nothing on Europe? I wonder if the Warsaw Pact still exists. Also, I wonder just what the Soviets did to stop NATO from retaliating with a nuclear strike...
Old 2011-11-17, 19:29   Link #6692
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I keep thinking a nuke went off in Israel later on, but I think I'm confusing that with some other fiction. I do seem to recall Kurts spends time (working/sniping) in Israel from time to time.
Old 2011-11-26, 09:44   Link #6693
FeistyDreams

Hello, Carlos. Who's that on your left? The hair looks suspiciously like Kaname's... Guess we'll find out in about a month, huh? (Found the image here)
Old 2011-11-26, 10:31   Link #6694
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Is that a Bonta-kun plushie under his jaw?
Old 2011-11-26, 14:40   Link #6695
Cenit
Linkinball Z

Send a message via ICQ to Cenit Send a message via AIM to Cenit Send a message via MSN to Cenit
Who is Carlos? And that thing on his Jaw looks very much like a glass of beer. That, or i'm an alcoholic seeing beer everywhere. But there seems to be a christmas-tree in the back...

Edit: I don't understand what's written on that site but besides Adelina or Tatsuya, this could also be Kurz:
Cenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:44   Link #6696
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think he means on the other side of his face, the green half dome and what looks like one black eye.
Old 2011-11-26, 15:17   Link #6697
FeistyDreams

No idea who Carlos is, other than being that guy XD Pretty sure on his left (viewer's right) is a Bonta-kun, and his right DOES look a lot like beer.

And for that other guy in the B&W image, I think that's supposed to be a new villain, not anyone we've seen yet.
Old 2011-11-26, 17:39   Link #6698
Cenit
Linkinball Z

Send a message via ICQ to Cenit Send a message via AIM to Cenit Send a message via MSN to Cenit
Oh there he is. Totally missed out that Bonta.

@new villain: A new villain named Kurz Weber :P
Cenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 18:10   Link #6699
FeistyDreams

He looks nothing LIKE Kurz XD And the text around it says that it's someone Tatsuya and the others have to fight, a "good-looking prince" that's similar to Leonard.
Old 2011-11-27, 16:24   Link #6700
selilychidori
Selily Chidori

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyDreams View Post
He looks nothing LIKE Kurz XD And the text around it says that it's someone Tatsuya and the others have to fight, a "good-looking prince" that's similar to Leonard.
yep, thats Kurtz XD

Tags
light novels, mecha, shounen