AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-12, 00:47   Link #761
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
She's in the ~130cm height range that Kona 女
If that's true, she's *really* a little doll for a 17yr old (my wife is 150cm). As far as the references Kona makes, she's quite unencumbered by "gender expectations" that the industry tries to channel on her. Shounen, shojo, fighting games, moe, you name it she does it

In some regard, she reminds me a bit of my older son's girlfriend in personality (however, she's tall and white) -- console gamer, D&D'r, MMOer, FPSer, SCAer, etc etc etc. Definitely doesn't fit in with the mundanes...
Old 2007-04-12, 00:58   Link #762
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

A friend that plays FFXI, just told me he saw a female character named "Konata" while playing today.

Makes me wonder how many Konata's wanna-be will appear in online games from now on?
Old 2007-04-12, 01:01   Link #763
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Konata is a fictional representation of an internet myth known as a "girl who plays MMORPGs". As a former FFXI player myself (my avatar gives that away), I never believed that myth that a girl would ever play an MMORPG...so does this mean that Lucky☆Star qualifies under the "fantasy" and "myth" genre for me? ^_^

And don't worry Kaioshin_dono, as I recognise people based on their signatures, not their avatars. ^_^
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:05   Link #764
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Konata is a fictional representation of an internet myth known as a "girl who plays MMORPGs". As a former FFXI player myself (my avatar gives that away), I never believed that myth that a girl would ever play an MMORPG...so does this mean that Lucky☆Star qualifies under the "fantasy" and "myth" genre for me? ^_^
ughhh, trust me... girl mmogamer are overrated while isn't exactly as common as guy gamer, they are a handful sometimes.
Old 2007-04-12, 01:11   Link #765
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Both my son's girlfriends, and three of my female friends just *laugh* when they hear that as they play WoW, Camelot, or "FPS of choice"

Most women conceal their gender in games because the immature assjerk factor is so high.
Old 2007-04-12, 01:12   Link #766
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post

And don't worry Kaioshin_dono, as I recognise people based on their signatures, not their avatars. ^_^
Good because Zeta is there forever.

I know girls play MMORPG's because somebody I work with plays World of Warcraft. I refuse to play MMO's because of the fact I find level grinds and having to talk to people I don't know and am probably (99% certain) I don't like to be a nightmare that I'd have to be paid to endure, rather than pay to endure. RPG's you play offline however, much more fun and comprehendable. MMO's? NO I DON'T FRIGGING BUYING SQUISHY LIQIUD @@@@@@@@@ THANK YOU!

The thought of having to endure anything like that for even 5 minutes sends shivers down my spine.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:25   Link #767
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I'm assisting in this derail from LuckyStar. Basically, there *are* girls like Kona out there (more and more) but they're just not necessarily standing next to you. We should return to LuckyStar babbling (downloading the a.f.k. sub now to see what they've done with it).
Old 2007-04-12, 01:31   Link #768
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

IMO a.f.k. did a better job. Even if the OP is barely readable with the fast paced change in text, it emulates how those who listen to the song would prolly react (what'd she say?)
I feel that a.f.k. should have left moe untranslated though, seeing as Haruhi as already mentioned moe.

I'm very happy with Lucky Star. OP+ED are awesome. The colors used are very pleasing to the eyes. (Yes, I approve of the color change in Kona-chan's hair now) Kona-chan going Ultraman and the (whatever it's called) pose from Ranma sure is a fun addition. But the highlights of ep.1 have to be Guile, Lucky Channel, and Kagami Hiiragi (<3)
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 01:44   Link #769
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I'm kinda shocked how so many people are actually taking my words so seriously...of course I know female gamers, I'm just playing along with how "unique" Konata is. ^_^

Hey, no complaints from me. One of the main reasons why I was interested in this was because of Konata herself. It's always more amusing when you can relate to a character, no?
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 02:08   Link #770
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

OP = teh win

That alone made Lucky Star my #1 series of the season...

Ok, that's a total lie, because the main reason why this is my #1 is because I think I'll actually get hooked to this show. Stuff like Manabi Straight, Pani Poni Dash, Hidamari Sketch, Gokujo Seitokai, etc. all put me to sleep halfway through the the first episode and have me quitting the series by the 3rd at the latest, but this series seems different. Reasons includes...

3) No yuri connotations.. (yet???)

2) Kona being an otaku gives me a character I can identify with, not to mention her really otaku influenced mind is amusing to say the least

1) I actually get some of the jokes and laugh! It might be KyoAni with the source, or AFK as the group subbing it, but whatever it is, its working.

So for me liking a show in which genre I usually dislike, Lucky Star receives big points from me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm a-gonna watch the OP again (for like what, the fifth time?). Man its as addictive as Haruhi ED... who else wants a full dance routine as a bonus for the DVD releases? XD

EDIT: Best joke this episode would be by far Kona's way of eating ice cream. Push and pull action? ROTFL!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 02:08   Link #771
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gomen, I'm so used to indignant gamers who refuse to believe the possibility...

I was flipping through the first episode.... okay, I *love* the camera work, especially when they have closeups of Tsukasa, Kona, and Miyuki --- and all you see of Kona is her antennae and ahoge.

And yes, I've watched the OP a dozen times.. especially the first 20 seconds or so.... the fluidity is just ... its just ... yeah.
Old 2007-04-12, 02:12   Link #772
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
...and all you see of Kona is her antennae and ahoge.
I hope they do that at least one more time; so funny .
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 02:14   Link #773
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm assisting in this derail from LuckyStar. Basically, there *are* girls like Kona out there (more and more) but they're just not necessarily standing next to you.
wait till you meet girls that watch hentai
alright, let's not go there... i feel like i m a babbling old fool

Quote:
3) No yuri connotations.. (yet???)
Not against yuri fan but hmmm i hope that won't occur among the characters.
Old 2007-04-12, 02:35   Link #774
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually.... my son's girlfriend's college dormmate was *really* fond of tentacle anime and other very strange stuff --- O.o now *she* was scary cute <blink blink is it time to run now, eh?>

After 3 volumes of reading L*S, I've not noticed any yuri --- some double entendre (usuallly from Konata-chan).
Old 2007-04-12, 03:02   Link #775
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Actually.... my son's girlfriend's college dormmate was *really* fond of tentacle anime and other very strange stuff --- O.o now *she* was scary cute <blink blink is it time to run now, eh?>
Female nerds can be really bizarre sometimes. I remember a girl in undergrad that wasn't unattractive by any stretch of the imagination that had a strange fixation for hentai. Yuri, no less (I know what you're thinking, and she wasn't). Bizarre.

Are we off-topic, yet?
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 03:17   Link #776
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

While all that "Rucky Channel" posting was going on above, my a.f.k. torrent finished.

Very polished, like the fonts (especially the karaoke font at the end).

Interesting translation. I guess my only complaint is that I don't feel like every single meal needed to be translated. Sometimes I'd listen to the dialog just to hear what the meal actually was because the translation left a big question mark over my head (and no, it wasn't because I was rewarding a quest).

Frankly, I'd hope most people know what "Yakitori" is since thats how you order it at any teriyaki bar. It doesn't say "skewered chicken" on the menu, eh? Same for "sukiyaki" or "udon" or .... well, I would think anyone watching this would have some clue about japanese dining.
Otherwise, I thought most of the translation choices made sense and were even a bit cute ("mixy-wixy" rofl). Moe doesn't quite equal "turn-on" but meh, whatever.

The OP translation, very effective... I actually hadn't noticed engrish was being used in the song they were babbling so fast.
Old 2007-04-12, 03:21   Link #777
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Really, anyone...give me a hands up.

How many here, besides me had watched Kyodain before..okay, I'll be less harsh, even heard of Kyodain? No need for a series completion, since I myself frankly never watched beyond 10 episodes, especially when I'm shuffling between Jetman, V3, Mazinger and Ultraseven on a daily basis in the early 90s. Gotta love how the channels here in the old days air stuff 10 or 15 years later than their original airing date.

I can't say I remember much about Kyodain...My memory of it is foggy at best, but I recall it being very weird, and fun.

I kinda realized why I didn't really find the 1st episode that interesting anymore. Half the episode had me doing a "Joseph Joestar Prediction" stunt, where I knew before hand the gist what Konata's gonna say about the sports, baseball game, tons of friends, friend visiting, pajama talkback, moe element and stuff. And no, I didn't read the manga. Well, probably also because everything said by them is easy to relate. I won't dare to say I had conversations with my friends about cooking (( the horror, I would be eternally relegated to chef work during scout camps )), but the actual content felt really simple in a good way.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 03:26   Link #778
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Lucky you, Kyodain never came to my country when i was growing up (atleast i don't remember ever seeing it)

Grew up watching Kamen Rider, i still remember how much i love the bikes back then and the infamous drop kick he does XD
Old 2007-04-12, 03:34   Link #779
Skane
Anime Snark

Smile

Quote:
While all that "Rucky Channel" posting was going on above, my a.f.k. torrent finished.

Very polished, like the fonts (especially the karaoke font at the end).

Interesting translation. I guess my only complaint is that I don't feel like every single meal needed to be translated. Sometimes I'd listen to the dialog just to hear what the meal actually was because the translation left a big question mark over my head (and no, it wasn't because I was rewarding a quest).

Frankly, I'd hope most people know what "Yakitori" is since thats how you order it at any teriyaki bar. It doesn't say "skewered chicken" on the menu, eh? Same for "sukiyaki" or "udon" or .... well, I would think anyone watching this would have some clue about japanese dining.
Otherwise, I thought most of the translation choices made sense and were even a bit cute ("mixy-wixy" rofl). Moe doesn't quite equal "turn-on" but meh, whatever.

The OP translation, very effective... I actually hadn't noticed engrish was being used in the song they were babbling so fast.
Well, [a.f.k.] has a record of localising Japanese terms so that the "uneducated" masses can understand what is going on without needing to refer to Wikipedia or Google, because Aiur knows the majority of the population is too lazy to do basic research.

In a way, you could say that [a.f.k.] is giving Lucky Star more mainstream appeal. Personally, I don't like the localisation of such terms, but if it means more people will appreciate the show, then so be it.

On another note, a more rational blog entry about Lucky Star; courtesy of Jeff Lawson.

(Fashionably) Late to the Party

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-12, 03:41   Link #780
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Lucky you, Kyodain never came to my country when i was growing up (atleast i don't remember ever seeing it)

Grew up watching Kamen Rider, i still remember how much i love the bikes back then and the infamous drop kick he does XD
It would be curious if L.S. were to trow an Ambassador Magma parody. That's probably one of the few shows of this type that I actually watched.

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen