AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-03-23, 23:50   Link #1
nickAD30

Looking for new seinen series

I suppose the next series I watch doesn't strictly have to be seinen, just so long as it is intelligent and appreciable by adults. I'm not all that knowledgeable of anime subsets so maybe seinen is a bit off the mark for my tastes, or maybe it hits the nail on the head. I'll list some series that I've enjoyed, and maybe you guys can decide what to call them.

Samurai Champloo- loved all the cultural mashups and references, the music was great, the sword fighting was awesome, main characters had great dynamics and chemistry
Gantz- great antihero, wonderfully mysterious premise, psychology and action together made a great show
All Hayao Miyazaki- what needs to be said, really?
Baccano- very captivating world and story, diverse cast, good action
Welcome to the NHK- I related to the main character to the point of embarrassment
Cowboy Bebop- the music is so great, protagonist is just too cool
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood- I really enjoyed how epic this tale ended up being, world building at its best for me
Psycho Pass- Solid characters, solid premise, overall just a good show
Steins Gate- The eccentricities of the protagonist were very endearing, the plot could be tragic and uplifting, interesting show
Last Exile- Really great world building, another diverse cast
Monster- Really captivating and thought provoking once it gets going
The Girl Who Lept Through Time- Kinda cutesy, but in a good way

I'm probably forgetting some, but I think that sums up what I'm into pretty well. That being said, I'm all for trying something new.
Some pet peeves in anime that are almost always deal breakers for me are:

excessive fan service that does not serve any purpose or at least have an excuse
cliche high school settings(most of the time)
actions without discernible motives
filler episodes

So, armed with this knowledge, I hope you guys can come up with some suggestions for me. If there's anything else you need to know, feel free to ask! Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by nickAD30; 2014-03-24 at 01:46.
nickAD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 01:40   Link #2
larethian

FMA is not seinen but shounen
Btooom!: Real life and death game. Protag is smart.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 03:41   Link #3
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
So based on that list

Shiki: dark large cast, blurs the line between "good" and "evil".
Attack on titan: nice world building, great action
Kaiji: intense psychological warfare, makes a game of rock paper scissors completely epic
Phantom:Requiem for the phantom: a bit slow paced but nice characters and a bit of action (by the author of psycho-pass)
Fate/Zero: now this took up some wikipedia reading to fully understand the universe it's set in but it was worth it (its sequel is coming out later this year)
Uchouten Kazoku: a great mix of comedy, drama and great visuals
Ergo Proxy: some call it the most pretentious anime ever, I say that's part of the charm.
Watamote: don't want to compare it to Welcome to the NHK,it's quite different, but you might find the protagonist interesting.
Ookami kodomo : it's by the director of The girl who leapt through time
Perfect Blue:Psychological thriller, there's nudity but I think you'll be ok with it
Sigofumi: I find it flawed but still thought provoking.
Michiko to Hatchin: fun characters and action
While it is presented in a rather lighthearted manner this comedy can be really thought provoking

A borderline one:

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: I think this would be up your alley, however there's an extreme amount of nudity
Old 2014-03-24, 04:09   Link #4
nickAD30

Thank you guys so much! I'm definitely going to look into these. Shiki looks great, first on the list for sure.
nickAD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 05:18   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If you haven't seen it, Seirei no Moribito checks all your boxes and happens to be the finest TV anime ever, IMHO.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-24, 08:29   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are some suggestions you may not get elsewhere.

First, there's Bartender, a series of vignettes about alcohol and the memories to which various concoctions are attached. Many of the characters are over forty, which is pretty rare in anime.

Next are two shows set in the late Edo period featuring a travelling medicine seller who slays demons. He first appeared in a three-episode arc called "Bake Neko" that ended the anthology Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. Later its director, Nakamura Kenji, was given the chance to do a full twelve-episode series called Mononoke. There are rumors that this show might get an R1 release after some seven years in the wilderness.

Nakamura helmed two other shows you might consider. One is a rather psychedelic affair called Kuuchuu Buranko (aka "Trapeze") about a psychiatrist with a rather strange practice. The other is a quirky little comedy about aliens and fishing called Tsuritama.

Running alongside Tsuritama in the noitaminA block in summer 2012 was the seinen slice-of-life story Sakamichi no Apollon, about three teen-agers who become infatuated with jazz and each other in the early 1960s.

Another, very different, show set in the same historical period as Mononoke is Oh! Edo Rocket, a satirical science-fiction comedy by the author of Kill la Kill, Nakashima Kazuki. The story takes place during the Tenpou Reforms when public entertainments were banned. The protagonist is a fireworks maker who can no longer officially practice his craft but does so surreptitiously. One day he returns home from one of these outings to find a beautiful young woman waiting for him. She asks him to build her a rocket to the moon.

Many seinen shows feature female leads. In that group, I'll suggest Nijuu Mensou no Musume and Shion no Ou. The first concerns a young heiress who is kidnapped by master thief "Twenty Faces" and becomes his "daughter" ("musume"). Shion is a thirteen-year-old Shougi ("Japanese chess") prodigy who witnessed the brutal murder of her parents when she was four. The story follows both Shion's development and the murder investigation.

I think Claymore is officially shounen, but I'll recommend it here as well. A bevy of beautiful women armed with swords and special powers fight hideous monsters.

In the comedy department, I'll start with Moyashimon, a campus hi-jinks show about a college freshman who can see microbes.

The excellent Hataraki Man focuses on the life of a 28-year-old female magazine editor coping with the patriarchal Japanese workplace. Tanaka Rie gives a mature, nuanced performance as the heroine.

Level E follows the "Men in Black" story line (even including men in black) about space aliens living among us in disguise. While the manga appeared while the movie was in development, I can't find any evidence of cross-fertilization. The main character, Prince Ouji, is hilarious.

I suspect Higepiyo is officially seinen, though at first glance it looks like a family show. It's about a chick (of the poultry variety) who wears a beard, drinks sake, and aspires to follow the samurai way. Veteran Paku Romi gives a terrific performance as the voice of Higepiyo.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 21:27   Link #7
Darthtabby

I'm not sure if they're technically Seinen, but if you like Last Exile there's a couple slightly old school titles adventure-ish titles you might like.

The Princess and the Pilot isn't the most complex movie ever, but it's very well done. The story is simple but its well paced and the scriptwriter (who also worked on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) knows how to convey things without directly stating everything (though there is some heavy handed exposition early on). It's probably my favorite animated film, though the mixed reactions I've encountered online indicates that the line between timeless and cliche can be rather blurry (it does make use of some well established storytelling devices).

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is a remake of the original and despite some concessions to modernity is still rather old school. If you're into old school space opera it may be worth a shot. The beginning could be considered a bit weak but it gets pretty good.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 06:23   Link #8
all_flying

Mushishi: a nice relaxing but has in depth exploration upon the concept of Mushi and humans relationship with them, and: S2 is coming.
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon: Likes world building? Economy? Politics? Diplomacy? Warfare? We have all of them. Count it! All of them. The concept, setting, even secondary characters have in-depth background which makes the premise becomes crowded but interesting if you could untie it one by one.
Planetes: Very down-to-earth sci-fi show. But has pretty good setting and interesting story.
Ghost in The Shell: Its a parent of Psycho-Pass. Not too EDGY but very interesting and thought provoking idea (And very nice animation to boot!).
Hosoda Mamoru: If you like Miyazaki's then there is a good chance you'll like Hosoda's stuffs (i.e: Summer Wars, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki). They're very family friendly and has pretty solid direction.
Satoshi Kon: Maybe, the most inspiring director ever known in the world of Japan animation. All of his movies were full of interesting ideas and inspiration. And he is not smashing his idea together (like a certain sakuga animator), but he has pretty solid skill of direction to boot!
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: It was based on a certain scenario on 'what if 8.0 earthquake fell upon Tokyo'. Family drama ensues, but not in a bad way.
Hyouka. In a lot of senses, you're right. Its school setting, club room, its sol, its tl;dr, very down-to-earth plot, and maybe very trivial 'mystery' matters. But it was by no means a 'shonen' level. On the whole scale, it was beautiful, excellently done, thought provoking 'environment' and 'ideas', grounded symbolism without leaving out the substance, nicely-done narration, nicely-arranged music and of course 'subtlety' for the masses a-la KyoAni (or Yasuhiro Takemoto in particular).
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 06:47   Link #9
G0rd0

Death Note
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
Phantom:Requiem Phantom
Bakemonogatari
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen anime suggestions