AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2008-12-24, 04:56   Link #261
Rias

Not that I have anything against the "newly revealed" voice actor/actress, but it's starting to turn into a bigger and bigger miscast...

George is not voiced by Okawa Toru? Kugyu for Shannon? I think they should've rotated the roles, Kugimiya as Maria, Horie Yui as Jessica, Inoue as Shannon...

And even tho I've anticipated this, it's still somewhat disappointing to see that it would be done by DEEN again, directed by Kon Chiaki again...
Old 2008-12-24, 04:56   Link #262
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Let's see if the typecast "Tsundere Loli" can do Shannon.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2008-12-24 at 20:20.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 05:23   Link #263
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

*THUD*
Among ALL things... they chosed Kugimiya for Shannon...? Heck I would have preferred Noto any day of the week in comparison...
Yes, she is still 16 years old and all, but Kugimiya has really a big issue with calm and mature voice, and her inability to change her tone will definitely make most seasoned audience think that Shana or Louise jacked in Umineko.

OTZ...

As for Kobayashi Yuu... I'm a bit disappointed, as she can't be as angsty and deep as Sakamoto, but at least they didn't use a male seiyuu for him.

As for the design:
Battler: well, he loses his "cool" and looks a bit the very laid back guy. It is hard to consider him as a 18 years old philanderer... I think they need to polish more the traits so he can look a bit more like Rudolf. In other words, he looks too young.

Jessica: I don't think I have any complain about her design: very detailed, not exaggerated (though will be a bit funny with her tsundere antics).

Maria: well, somehow the eyes don't cut it... I would expect her to be more on the "cute" aspect than the airhead one. At least, Maria's design somehow fits for Horie's voice, but still, the "occult mode" will be hard for her. VERY hard.

George: I know that George is COOL for Battler, but I was expecting something along... more chubby and less "mature". I mean, George can be VERY shy at times, and his design wouldn't exactly match an unconfident George around Shannon.

Shannon: I'm surprised they didn't go overboard over her bust size . One thing that bugs me with Shannon: she lost her gentle "aura". Well she looks nice, but doesn't seem all caring at the first glance unlike her game/manga counterpart.

Kanon: whoa... bishi mode? Well... would fit the emo parts, but the aggressive and depressing moments would be a bit awkward.

So far, only Jessica managed to get a proper adaptation, the rest needs quite some tweek.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-12-24 at 06:17.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 08:52   Link #264
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

The character design for the male character look a bit too pretty, IMO. George is almost like CLAMP character with that triangle shaped pretty face.
Shannon is sexy, reminds me of Mai from Mai-HiME.

Quote:
Maria: well, somehow the eyes don't cut it... I would expect her to be more on the "cute" aspect than the airhead one. At least, Maria's design somehow fits for Horie's voice, but still, the "occult mode" will be hard for her. VERY hard.
Totally agreed.

Those seiyuu choices coming right after we speculated about them in detail almost feel like a punishment for speculating too much. Kugimiya Rie as Shannon? I guess she got tired being typecasted as tsundere but come on, it doesn't fit at all. Shannon is too much of a pushover.
I love Kobayashi Yu's voice...when she voices female characters, though. Kanon's voice needs more manliness, more roughness. And before you accuse me of sexism, I"d have been OK with say Paku Romi for the role.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 09:02   Link #265
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Is it just me, or does the boobs size for Jessica are larger than Shannon in the pic ?
Quote:
Battler: well, he loses his "cool" and looks a bit the very laid back guy. It is hard to consider him as a 18 years old philanderer... I think they need to polish more the traits so he can look a bit more like Rudolf. In other words, he looks too young.
I thought he was supposed to be a laid back guy ? He did get his 'cool' when he speak about his deduction and arguments though .

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 09:23   Link #266
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
The staff is also revealed:

http://umineko.tv/web/main/news/index.html

Studio DEEN is definitely doing this one with some of the peeps who worked on Higurashi working on this.
Old 2008-12-24, 09:25   Link #267
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

For the designs I'm going to wait until they're in color to comment on them...
Though why does Jessica have a bigger bust then Shannon?
Old 2008-12-24, 09:43   Link #268
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I still can't see how Rie Kugimiya can do Shannon. Well, we'll see since I wasn't that confident about Daisuke Ono as Battler when I first learned of it.

About the character design, the only thing I don't see from Battler is, isn't he supposed to be a tall guy? He looks a bit younger than what he is supposed to look.

But I hope they get better.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 09:49   Link #269
Westlo
Lets be reality

I like that Rie Kugimiya is going for something out of her comfort zone.. it's been a long time since FMA.... anyway hopefully she can pull it off but going by people here that looks like being an uphill battle.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 09:53   Link #270
Avisch
Reality Blender

George - Kenichi is good choice. He voiced Kokuto in Rakkyo.
Kanon - Yeah this works. It's sort of what we were expecting. But I hope Kanon doesn't sound too feminine
Shannon - Yeah...surprising. But I do feel worried about it. And yet not worried about it. Because perhaps SOMEWAY it will work.. hard to have faith though.

On the designs. Everything looks fine.
Cept I felt they made Kanon's face a bit too sharp. But perhaps thats just me.

One crazy B****

Last edited by Avisch; 2008-12-24 at 11:39.
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 10:10   Link #271
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Kugimiya as Shannon? WTF!?
... I would have expected Noto, Nakahara, or Mizuki over her. Definitely a surprise, though I can't help but be excited to hear how it turns out.

The character designs look nice, I'm just so excited that they updated the site again AND with character designs! Out of all of the designs so far, my personal favorite is probably Maria.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 10:42   Link #272
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
George is not voiced by Okawa Toru? Kugyu for Shannon? I think they should've rotated the roles, Kugimiya as Maria, Horie Yui as Jessica, Inoue as Shannon...
I'd be happy if just Kugyuu and Hocchan switched roles. I know I'm kind of tired of Kugyuu mostly being type casted into the tsundere roles, but I can't imagine a Mimi-ish from Mnemosyne voice going through Shannon, since that's the only female, not really loli, and tsundere role I've heard from her.

I'm kind of scared of watching the anime now, but I probably will watch it anyway if Bern is voiced by Yukarin-sama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
For the designs I'm going to wait until they're in color to comment on them...
Though why does Jessica have a bigger bust then Shannon?
Rofl, that was the first thing I noticed, too. Or their bust looks nearly identical. Either way....

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 10:46   Link #273
Crisano

Well, I definitely find the character designs attractive despite the male characters appearing too "pretty". I agree with Klash's vision of George being "more chubby and less "mature"", yet he still turned out great in my opinion. Similarly, upon seeing Kanon's design, I had mixed feelings, especially his eyes. Hopefully I will become accustomed to his design. Honestly, even though I probably will get lashed out for this comment, I thought of Vampire Knight when I saw the designs. Overall, the designs turned out better than I hoped they would.

Hopefully Studio DEEN or whoever will adapt does a good job with this adaption.
Crisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 15:53   Link #274
Rias

Thinking about it some more, Kugimiya might just be able to pull it off. I remembered when before Higurashi anime came out, when they announced that Tamura was going to do Rika, people on 2ch also reacted negatively to the casting. That changed after the first drama cd was out, when people found out that Tamura can actually do an awesome Rika voice. So perhaps Kugimiya would surprise us.
After all, she's been a lot of stuff these days, and she probably would have to break away from her set routine or else people would get tired of her eventually...

I'm more worried about the Kon+Kawase duo...they didn't work well for Higurashi, and they will be busy with other stuff in 2009 besides Umineko itself...
Old 2008-12-24, 19:06   Link #275
Bathory Area
Jigoku Shoujo

The cast will be bigger and bigger.Don't forget Beatrice s servants(their names like
devils in Bible and these devils rule "seven deadly sins" too.What a interesting!!!!)
*As all of us know,"Witches" in Umineko are "True Witches",not witches in "Harry Potter".
Bathory Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 20:03   Link #276
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I was pretty sure George would look a bit more Tomitake-like and make up any deficiencies in looks with his personality, but eh well. Not a terrible choice here regardless, since anime requires a bit more in the eye-candy department, I suppose...
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-24, 23:15   Link #277
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
After all, she's been a lot of stuff these days, and she probably would have to break away from her set routine or else people would get tired of her eventually...
I'm already tired of her myself.. so this and FMA should hopefully start to open up more roles for her... but really if people still aren't tired of Noto than they won't get tired of Rie if she stuck to her routine for the next 5 years.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 01:25   Link #278
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I dunno I can see Horie pulling off Maria's voice for some reason. I think she is up to the challenge ^-^ Some voices do surprise me just haveto wait an see... I really love the designs.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 04:40   Link #279
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
:O WHOA. Kugimiya for Shannon. Wow. I'm having trouble hearing her as Shannon, though yeah voices do surprise me...xD

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 11:20   Link #280
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

There was a drama cd just released which features Maria and Battler in the Higurashi world. (They show up around the 4:45 mark)
Maria sounds pretty damn good.