AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-21, 18:15   Link #2381
Key Board
Carbon

IIRC.. Some of the original novel fans didn't like his experimental art show interpretation of the show

in laymen terms, it was too stylized for them. It's not that I don't understand..
can you imagine Madoka done in Bakemonogatari style?
yeah..
would be weird

Keep in mind that original novel fans will always complain about an adaptation, though.

SHAFT also annoyed some people with the delay of the last episodes..
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 18:17   Link #2382
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board
Keep in mind that original novel fans will always complain about an adaptation, though.
The truth is that it is impossible to please everyone. Anyway, just be happy and enjoy what one likes. If no like, can always move on to something else .
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 18:21   Link #2383
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
IIRC.. Some of the original novel fans didn't like his experimental art show interpretation of the show

in laymen terms, it was too stylized for them. It's not that I don't understand..
can you imagine Madoka done in Bakemonogatari style?
yeah..
would be weird

SHAFT also annoyed some people with the delay of the last episodes..
Umm, from what I know, novel fans are the one who were most satisfied with the show and that was the main reason why it sold a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
But these two men are already somewhat despised by a sizable group of anime fans. (Shinbo for Bakemonogatari, especially...)
I've never heard of Urobuchi being despised, he has overwhelming amount fans, due to his deep insight on otaku industry. Shinbo and Shaft however, gets polar opposite views all the time since they united.
Old 2011-04-21, 18:37   Link #2384
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
My mind is blown.

still blown

and blown
Me? Still even in a state of disbelief. Now I know what those folks who watched Eva episode 26 felt like back in 1996.
Old 2011-04-21, 18:43   Link #2385
zato_1one

Side effect of the finale, all BD are in top ten (it's actually top six) of Amazon again. XD
Old 2011-04-21, 18:45   Link #2386
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Side effect of the finale, all BD are in top ten (it's actually top six) of Amazon again. XD
I guess that means the ending was well received.
Old 2011-04-21, 18:49   Link #2387
sa547
*Author

Anyone wishes for some coffee? There's some at the Madokafe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/station...93223/sizes/l/
Old 2011-04-21, 23:33   Link #2388
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I've never heard of Urobuchi being despised, he has overwhelming amount fans, due to his deep insight on otaku industry. Shinbo and Shaft however, gets polar opposite views all the time since they united.
I didn't say everyone hated Shaft... I said there was a sizable group of people who do. As Urobuchi joined Shaft, the hatred usually extends to him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I guess that means the ending was well received.
I haven't seen the ending (I'm avoiding the episode discussion thread like the plague... waiting for the batch) but this might not necessarily be true. After all, Madoka has always been on the top of the charts. I'm sure quite a few people were going to order it even if the ending sucked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Anyone wishes for some coffee? There's some at the Madokafe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/station...93223/sizes/l/
I would go... but I don't want my head chewed off. Charlotte really likes sweets.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 23:51   Link #2389
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I would go... but I don't want my head chewed off. Charlotte really likes sweets.
No, Charlotte's a sucker for cheese, and works as a very good distraction.
Old 2011-04-22, 01:42   Link #2390
Marcomax

I have to say my interest in the magical girl genre has been reignited thanks to this show. I might finally get around to watching Nanoha or Princess Tutu (if that counts) now.

I'm really interested in hearing the opinion of someone who is well versed in magical girl anime or a well know critic on how Madoka stands . I don't just want to passively enjoy the show, I want to understand whether or not it works as a story and why.
Marcomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:35   Link #2391
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

All six Blu-rays are on the top of the charts at Amazon. It was expected with all the awesomeness.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:39   Link #2392
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcomax View Post
I have to say my interest in the magical girl genre has been reignited thanks to this show. I might finally get around to watching Nanoha or Princess Tutu (if that counts) now.

I'm really interested in hearing the opinion of someone who is well versed in magical girl anime or a well know critic on how Madoka stands . I don't just want to passively enjoy the show, I want to understand whether or not it works as a story and why.
In a nutshell, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is to the magical-girl genre as Neon Genesis Evangelion is to the mecha genre. To put it bluntly, it's a massive Deconstruction. If you liked Madoka a great deal, there's a chance you'll tear your hair out in frustration at trying to watch a bog-standard magical-girl show, like one of the Precures or Mermaid Melody.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is wildly different--it's not a deconstruction at all. It's a genre-blender, taking some of the more aesthetic and obvious trappings of the magical-girl genre and playing them more like a Super Robot series. This works surprisingly well.
Old 2011-04-22, 03:41   Link #2393
pcj

Princess Tutu has more in common with Madoka than Nanoha does. It's one of those mindfuck animes of the same nature (and has a bittersweet ending like Madoka does, though not on quite such a grand scale).
pcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 03:50   Link #2394
yozaku
Always Idle

repost from oriko thread

cover for oriko volume 2

now i believe, oriko is a sequel
yozaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 05:06   Link #2395
sa547
*Author

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-in-osaka-area
Small perhaps, but considerably a significant rating.
Old 2011-04-22, 06:27   Link #2396
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-in-osaka-area
Small perhaps, but considerably a significant rating.
The fact that its an anime series and a late night anime at that is incredible.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 06:42   Link #2397
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Say anything you like but it was Princess Tutu that initially deconstructed the genre. Madoka simply had a lot more hype about it. And seriously, as much as it claims to deconstruct the Sailor Moon formula, it is still the exact same story as there. Thus in a way, Tutu is even MORE revolutionary. But ok, I do place it in my top 5 mahou shojo of all times. Here it is.

1) Princess Tutu
2) Sailor Moon
3) Madoka
4) Nanoha
5) CC Sakura

And in case you wonder why I consider Sailor Moon better, it is because I like my shows to last a few episodes more to get to know the characters and not to constantly trying to shock me with deaths and ressurections. I got Dragonball Z for that.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 06:54   Link #2398
Jimmy C

There dark as in, "oh my god, my enemies are really out to kill me, this is serious!" and then there's Madoka's "oh my god, the seemingly cute creature that granted me these powers is my real enemy and I'm doomed to become the very monsters I've been fighting." I don't think that's been done before.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 07:00   Link #2399
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
There dark as in, "oh my god, my enemies are really out to kill me, this is serious!" and then there's Madoka's "oh my god, the seemingly cute creature that granted me these powers is my real enemy and I'm doomed to become the very monsters I've been fighting." I don't think that's been done before.
Or the fact the magical girl doesn't become a magical girl until the last episode.
Old 2011-04-22, 07:45   Link #2400
sa547
*Author

Take a look at this:
http://twitpic.com/4nz47k

I love the irony of seeing that ad accompanying that pic. Who's the world's last hope?

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen