AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-15, 10:23   Link #21
usbport
Universal Serial Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthriel
I can tolerate a certain amount of fanservice, but this is waaaaay too much.
Is there actually any plot or character development in this series? To me, it looks like your usual run of the mill ecchi series, I don't know why anyone would like to watch this.
The cuteness of the ending with the little dancing characters almost killed me. Human beings can't withstand such cuteness.
usbport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 11:04   Link #22
B3H

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbport
The cuteness of the ending with the little dancing characters almost killed me. Human beings can't withstand such cuteness.
Yes, very true, I loved that part. Does anyone have the op and end lyrics? Im liking those songs.
B3H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 12:14   Link #23
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthriel
I can tolerate a certain amount of fanservice, but this is waaaaay too much.
Is there actually any plot or character development in this series? To me, it looks like your usual run of the mill ecchi series, I don't know why anyone would like to watch this.
The Chobits-like romance is all it's got going for it. The ecchi crap is way over the top. I'll give this show a chance to build a decent story because most other shows this season suck.

It'll be a matter of whether or not I can stand all the stupid boobs and associated sound effects.

EDIT: Oh, and I thought the music was petty good. That reminded me of Chobits, too.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 12:22   Link #24
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
to me this looked like a chobit-like anime.
i see some people think so too.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 15:54   Link #25
Killerattacks

OK seems like Im the only one who thinks that this show is INCREDIBLY AWESOME.

Already after the first half of ep1 I thought "OMG this is way better like the whole Maburaho serieslast season. It reminds me of Chobits - but unlike Chobits this seems to be really good!".

The only unnecessary thing was the teacher IMHO, but everything else was just fine. I espacially liked the chara design and the drawing.

I compared ep1 with chapter 1 of the manga for story differences, but I noticed that the anime has IMHO a better chara design and just everything seems more detailed.

Right after DearS I watched Girls Bravo 1 and I think both shows are really good with DearS having a slight advantage over Girls Bravo up til now.

Quote:
The Chobits-like romance is all it's got going for it. The ecchi crap is way over the top. I'll give this show a chance to build a decent story because most other shows this season suck.
so most other shows of this season suck? You really mean this season? With great shows like samorai champloo, Samurai 7, Kurau, Fafner, Girls bravo etc.? I cannot understand you ;p
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 16:17   Link #26
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerattacks
so most other shows of this season suck? You really mean this season? With great shows like samorai champloo, Samurai 7, Kurau, Fafner, Girls bravo etc.? I cannot understand you ;p
Well it's my opinion. I'm not impressed by any show you mentioned. Girls BRAVO I'm giving the same chance as this show. I wasn't instantly won over by it.
Old 2004-07-15, 17:04   Link #27
Loikol
slightly confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Well it's my opinion. I'm not impressed by any show you mentioned.
Yeah right. Go watch some dragon ball z then.

anyway, I like DearS manga a lot so the anime is fine too. The VA is great and I like the OP song very much, it's stuck in my head now. I know DearS does have a plot so I'm hoping they follow it in the anime. Don't know how much they'll manage to do in 13 eps, though.
Loikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 17:10   Link #28
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loikol
Yeah right. Go watch some dragon ball z then.
What the hell does Dragon Ball Z have to do with anything?
Old 2004-07-15, 17:26   Link #29
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Seems like this show won't be for me either. When do we get new serious shows that can rival Gunslinger Girl, Kiminozo and Tsukihime? Comedy is fine and dandy, but the truly great shows that I enjoy on a completely different level are dramas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Well it's my opinion. I'm not impressed by any show you mentioned. Girls BRAVO I'm giving the same chance as this show. I wasn't instantly won over by it.
Even though my reasons are probably different, I completely agree with TronDD. While some shows this season have been enjoyable, none of them have really impressed me. They're either too ecchi or just too weird for my taste. Samurai 7, for example has great action, but still, why use swords when they have automatic weapons and stuff? It doesn't make sense! The same goes for pretty much every mecha show, really. For some reason almost every Japanese mecha is designed to look humanoid. They have arms, fingers and a head so they could use melee weapons and do backflips....why would a mecha need a melee weapon when it can just blast the opponent to scrap metal? Why do they need hands when they could have built in weapons? And all those martial arts seems so unnatural and forced on giant robots. Give me a Battle Tech anime and I will be your slave...ok maybe not, but almost.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 17:41   Link #30
Killerattacks

Quote:
For some reason almost every Japanese mecha is designed to look humanoid
Did you ever watch Star Trek for example? Why does almost every alien race look like humans? Or Star wars: Storm troopers, droids etc. most of them look like humans.
One reason that comes to my mind when developing something like a mecha is: It's big, It's heavy, but it has to be fast and a good mobility. So why not use the shape of a human which the pilot is used to, and has already proofed that it's usable?
Look planes look like birds too, more or less. Etc.
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 18:23   Link #31
Phych

IMO I thought this was pretty funny. I also didnt think the ecchi-ness was way over the top like some shows (e.g. eiken). I dont think this'll be one of the best series this year, but it seems like a good thing to watch when waiting for the big guns (naruto, sailor moon, full metal alchemist, etc.). I'm not too into the alien girl thing (I would much rather have more natural lookin girlies) but the char design isn't so bad. I guess it also depends on what kinda genre you like. I enjoy romantic comedies so I guess thats why it looks good to me.
All in all, I'll download ep. 2.
Phych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 18:31   Link #32
sozuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phych
I dont think this'll be one of the best series this year, but it seems like a good thing to watch when waiting for the big guns (naruto, sailor moon, full metal alchemist, etc.).
okay sorry, no hard feelings and a little off topic, but i just had to laugh at you for including "sailor moon" as one of the "big guns" ROFLMAO. hahaahahahaha. ok, that's enough
sozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 18:55   Link #33
FlyByNite

You throw Kikuko Inoue into anything as a VA and I'm probably watching it. See: Yumeria.

So I'll be watching Dears. Strikes me as as Chobits with Aliens but in an Onegai Teacher High School setting.

That teacher though...Man way over the top, I can see why Kikuko Ionoue may have been a bit embarressed

The animation in the ending is so kawaii. I love Chibi/SD animation endings. Like Vandread's ending animation.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 19:03   Link #34
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I hated the pointless, uber-perverted teacher. I mean seriously all I could think was wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf? wtf?

I wasn't too impressed by the first episode, but I'll still give it a chance to prove itself. I dunno, lately all the new anime I've watched as felt too similar to other series I've seen before. Maybe this is a sign indicating I should take a break from anime for a while.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 21:22   Link #35
Spaceghost

It does seem very Chobits like, lets hope she does not keep saying "ren" all the time.

I wish I had a teacher like that though!
Spaceghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 22:06   Link #36
usbport
Universal Serial Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Even though my reasons are probably different, I completely agree with TronDD. While some shows this season have been enjoyable, none of them have really impressed me. They're either too ecchi or just too weird for my taste. Samurai 7, for example has great action, but still, why use swords when they have automatic weapons and stuff? It doesn't make sense! The same goes for pretty much every mecha show, really. For some reason almost every Japanese mecha is designed to look humanoid. They have arms, fingers and a head so they could use melee weapons and do backflips....why would a mecha need a melee weapon when it can just blast the opponent to scrap metal? Why do they need hands when they could have built in weapons? And all those martial arts seems so unnatural and forced on giant robots. Give me a Battle Tech anime and I will be your slave...ok maybe not, but almost.

In Samurai 7 it makes sense that the Samurai would use swords and spears... because that's what Samurai used.

As for mecha, they are all humanoid shape so that fans will be able to relate with them in an almost human way. The mecha in animes are generally not just cold "tools of war' without souls like a tank is. The mecha are meant to have a life and soul of their own, this is what makes them so attracting and cool.

As to why they have arms and fingers? Think of how versatile the human hand is, it can use just about anything. Having a single design that is compatible with all weapons is invaluable, and what better design than the time-tested and already proven human hand? The human hand is nature's greatest design when it comes to tool use and manipulation of objects for complex use, and a great deal of technology is based off of examples in nature.
usbport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 22:17   Link #37
Secca
nya`
*Artist

If anyone from A Keep reading this, I'm just curious how you guys figure out and translate "Ren" speak? ^^

Because I saw the first episode raw, I had to repeat several time to listen what she's saying and I stil cannot figure it out. I came to the conclusion she's speaking in alien language. >_<

I'm really curious how you guys figure it out what she's saying. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 22:23   Link #38
cdpinoyx01

That teacher reminds me of the the teacher from Mahoromatic ^^
cdpinoyx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 22:52   Link #39
sozuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
If anyone from A Keep reading this, I'm just curious how you guys figure out and translate "Ren" speak? ^^

Because I saw the first episode raw, I had to repeat several time to listen what she's saying and I stil cannot figure it out. I came to the conclusion she's speaking in alien language. >_<

I'm really curious how you guys figure it out what she's saying. ^^

At first it wasn't clear whether the translations for that part should've been put, but we thought it would be in the interest of the story anyway, and so we did. And yes, you are right; she speaks an alien language (thus the different typeset). The translations are from an identical scene from the manga, where she similarly speaks in that alien language, however, there are japanese quoted translations. so now you know
sozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 23:17   Link #40
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
I think a lot of people are giving this anime a hard time. I thought it was actually pretty interesting and cute (albiet a little too Chobit-esque). From the OP and ED it looks like there are going to be a lot of cute and interesting characters. I think it's unfair to judge an anime by the first episode, but for me this definetly wins out over Girls Bravo (especially in the quality of the animation). Also, I thought the naughty teacher was actually pretty funny, mostly the part where she was making the students read out of an obviously dirty book with her on the cover... that was great.

But of course, to each his own =)
Jenichan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, peach-pit, shounen