AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-11-22, 16:39   Link #5241
Midori_Eggs
Magical Gohda Chef~!

Ugh. I don't suppose there's another place I could pre-order EP8? >_>
Midori_Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 18:00   Link #5242
legomaple

it showed up couple of times on this thread, but what is Rewrite?
legomaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 18:12   Link #5243
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaple View Post
it showed up couple of times on this thread, but what is Rewrite?
A visual novel by Key. Ryukishi is collaborating with them and is writing a a couple of the Routes.

You can tell which ones he's writing too by the way he over uses the Kanji for laughing, names, etc. I've seen a couple of screenshots of the demo.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 19:58   Link #5244
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
A visual novel by Key. Ryukishi is collaborating with them and is writing a a couple of the Routes.

You can tell which ones he's writing too by the way he over uses the Kanji for laughing, names, etc. I've seen a couple of screenshots of the demo.

this is a bad habit and I have a tendency to do it too.

why say ありがとうございます when you can say 有難う御座います
why say ある/いる when you can say 有る/居る
why say ここ/そこ/あそこ/どこ when you can say 此処、其処、彼処、何処
why say そなた/あなた/どなた when you can say 其方/貴方/何方
why say W when you can say 笑

My friends call me old fashioned, I just like to think I'm educated
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 20:28   Link #5245
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Almost all the above have fallen into disuse, the same way some english words did. You don't use "shall", "doth" "thee" in your everyday life. Japanese writing is a language by itself so it's only natural that it evolves.

The last one is just an internet slang comparable to our "lol", you shouldn't use it anywhere unless you are sending an sms or chatting.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 00:49   Link #5246
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Almost all the above have fallen into disuse, the same way some english words did. You don't use "shall", "doth" "thee" in your everyday life. Japanese writing is a language by itself so it's only natural that it evolves.

The last one is just an internet slang comparable to our "lol", you shouldn't use it anywhere unless you are sending an sms or chatting.

uh what are you talking about. the only one I posted above that has fallen into disuse is sonata/そなた/其方, and even then you still hear that sometimes, mostly to add "ye olde days" flair. aside from that they are all EXTREMELY common words. it's just most people are too lazy to write them in kanji...even so the kanji forms aren't even that uncommon either, and pretty much anyone in their right mind can read/understand them, it's just most people don't write them. I think it makes it easier to read long text when you have full kanji use, and use kana only for the particles and verb agglutinations. Things like 有難う御座います and 有る/居る are actually sometimes preferable over the kana version depending upon who you are talking to or what you are writing, but some other words like ここ/そこ/あそこ/どこ the kanji forms are less common but still quite usable.
The fact that young people are less and less capable of using kanji is a big problem, I try not to be a part of it even though I am "young", and in reality it's caused by the excessive reliance on IMEs featured in every personal computer and cell phone and other electronic device capable of Japanese input. In general, the more kanji you know, the more educated you appear to be (though it's really just a facade since a Chinese person who speaks Japanese would know more kanji than a Japanese but could still be a complete moron)

the only things I can think of off the top of my head that would be TRULY archaic would be to start speaking using words like こなた (so archaic the kanji doesn't even come up for me automatically on the IME, not sure why though since it's just 此方) 我 as a first person pronoun (though quite acceptable as 我々 in formal speech)、我が輩、妾、start using 得る in verbs instead of writing える (ex: 見得る、買得る、etc.), 中国 as 支那国 (now this is borderline racist I'm not really sure why it's that big a deal though, essentially the equivalent of English's China), using 之 as の outside of first names, and lastly using ぬ as a standard negative verb ending (though this is still acceptable to some degree, and sounds like it has more emphasis on the negative than the standard 無い, if you start using ぬ for every negative ending you're going to sound like a weirdo). [interesting sidenote, but 死ぬ/しぬ is the only verb which ends in ぬ, possibly because ぬ is the classical Japanese negative, and 死なぬ sounds really strange]
also writing 煙草 or 天婦羅 might confuse a stupid person for about 5 seconds but other than that are easy enough to understand, though I wouldn't advocate using 天婦羅 because it's just ridiculous.

other old-fashioned ateji-based words like 独逸(ドイツ)、亜米利加(アメリカ)、露西亜(ロシア)、伊太利亜(イタリア)、are not really used very often over their katakana forms but are still universally understood. However, they are extremely common in abbreviations and their derivatives. From 亜米利加 we get 米国 and hence 米軍, this is just one example, but while the original word is almost never used the two derivatives are extremely common.

actually, a sidenote, but an interesting thing about the verb 得る/える/うる is that it's the last nidan class verb. classical Japanese has more verb categorizations than modern Japanese, which has primarily ichidan, godan, and irregular. for some reason, 得る is the only nidan class verb which remains in the language. Also, it used to be pronounced exclusively as うる、however because saying みうる, etc. sounds very awkward, it ended up morphing into える、which is how it got its current pronounciation. Another good example of this kind of change is in the ichidan class keigo verbs such as 御座る、下さる、いらっしゃる、etc. Most likely, they were originally pronounced as 御座ります、下さります、etc. however they have changed, because in a Japanese accent saying these words, the り becomes almost the same as い、and therefore for ease of pronouncing, they dropped the R out of all the -masu conjugated versions of these words.

some words like 貴様、君、僕、お前、手前、 have changed meaning drastically over the years but are still the same word

Japanese is one language where it's almost impossible to speak it unless you can read it. You will not have full comprehension of Japanese grammar unless you can understand where it came from.

-japanese major/fluent speaker, I speak Japanese about 50% of the time, other 50% is english.
oh and I know what "w" means thanks. I've only been speaking this language forever.

TLDR: Don't learn Japanese from Beatrice, you'll sound like you're 90 years old.

Last edited by zorahk; 2010-11-23 at 16:52.
Old 2010-11-23, 02:45   Link #5247
Gar Logan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
I checked the product page for the three games on Amiami, and what they say is this (source):

* Pre-order for this item will open on Nov. 29 2011(Mon)
Shipment from AmiAmi is scheduled for early Jan. 2011.

So I don't think they've been up for ordering at all yet, as I suggested on my previous post. Makes me feel a bit relieved.
So on AmiAmi when EP8 says sold out, that is only because pre-orders haven't been opened yet?
Gar Logan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-23, 16:32   Link #5248
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar Logan78 View Post
So on AmiAmi when EP8 says sold out, that is only because pre-orders haven't been opened yet?

it says at the top of the screen on the portrait picture that preorders begin on the 26th.

they haven't started taking them yet. preorder on monday.
Old 2010-11-23, 22:55   Link #5249
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of AmiAmi (I ordered my previous games on PaletWeb). It looks like I'll be pre-ordering these three games as well.

Please watch where you post and tag your spoilers properly if it's allowed.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 01:09   Link #5250
xBTAx

Apparently AmiAmi updates around 11 PM EST... I haven't had to ever really get something right as they updated like this, so I'll be checking over the next few nights. Tonight they seemed to updated sometime before 11:20.

Guess I'll be staying up and refreshing like crazy Sunday night, in any case.
xBTAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 01:48   Link #5251
AlexiaCarcera

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBTAx View Post
Apparently AmiAmi updates around 11 PM EST... I haven't had to ever really get something right as they updated like this, so I'll be checking over the next few nights. Tonight they seemed to updated sometime before 11:20.

Guess I'll be staying up and refreshing like crazy Sunday night, in any case.
Ooh, that's good to know lol. 9 pm where I live then.

Yeah, go refresh spammm!
AlexiaCarcera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 12:13   Link #5252
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, if all else fails you can fly out for Comiket. Then again, they might just sell out there too.

I actually know some folks, but it's not reliable in a way where they can pick up 10 copies (not that they'd be allowed), but if you have a personal connection that might be easier than trying to wrangle with preorder imports.

You could also wait a few weeks after release. I'm sure there'll be enough product, it just might not be all available right away.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 13:20   Link #5254
Terras

Err...... which extra TIPS does Tsubasa have? I'm not sure where to ask this.
Terras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 13:26   Link #5255
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Assuming what the description says, all of them.
Old 2010-11-24, 13:40   Link #5256
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
You're scaring me guys. I need to get all my class work done before the translation comes out so I won't be behind with all the others when formulating theories. Don't burn yourselves out you guys and thank you again for translating.
goldenlove27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 13:56   Link #5257
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove27 View Post
You're scaring me guys. I need to get all my class work done before the translation comes out so I won't be behind with all the others when formulating theories. Don't burn yourselves out you guys and thank you again for translating.
I'm assuming there's still a ton of editing to go and as chronotrig has stressed before, it's some tricky stuff. Finishing up the translation will definitely make the rest of the process easier, but we'll want to wait for the payoff.

That said, they look well on track to beat ep8 out the door, hopefully by a few weeks like ep6's translation. It's always a blissful time, when there's no untranslated portion out there.

Granted, pretty soon that will no longer be a problem at all.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-24, 14:12   Link #5258
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Don't get me wrong; I already know about the editing process, (since it was always addressed at some point). That's why I hope no one burns themselves out translating it. Since I can't be of assistance I will at least wish you guys luck.
Old 2010-11-24, 19:00   Link #5259
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove27 View Post
So I'm curious, which is the dominant here? Those playing translated versions or those playing plain moonspeak? Because even without this patch out, it seems discussions and thories formulating're going rather fiercely in the ep.7 and spoilers thread.
Old 2010-11-24, 19:43   Link #5260
goldenlove27
Tortured Pet

Well for me, I don't like having my info from a secondary source. Since I'm a long way from learning japanese, I am relying on the translation to get my theories in motion. Yeah I've been looking at the comments from those who played the game in japanese to get info but that is to cover all my bases before I venture them. From what I learned most of my theories were right on point and so I would like to wait until I read the translation before I post any thoughts own the game thus far...

Tags
translation