AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-09-15, 20:52   Link #6141
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Who knows, Gino might even get a consistant personality (stranger things have happened).
Lol at this quote. Who knows, maybe will get some more screen time with Monica, Dorothea, and especially Nonnette. Two are feed to Suzaku to show how overpowed the upgraded Lancelot is and the last one mentioned just ups and vanishes.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:01   Link #6142
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
But according too Director Goro Taniguchi states that it's up to the viewers to decide how they want to interpret the ending, but that he himself likes to see it as a happy ending. Writer Ichirō Ōkouchi agrees, saying that while some may regard Lelouch's end as a tragedy, he too likes to think of the ending as a happy one because Lelouch created a better tomorrow for those left behind.
He considers that a "happy" ending?

...I've seen happier.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:04   Link #6143
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
He considers that a "happy" ending?

...I've seen happier.
Well, you have to consider the end result as a "happy ending." The way it was attained is something different.
Old 2009-09-15, 21:04   Link #6144
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author

^^^ Amen to that Nobodyman.
FerrisWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:10   Link #6145
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
Well, you have to consider the end result as a "happy ending." The way it was attained is something different.
Well, that's the whole thing. Code Geass is not a happy story, thus I don't think it can truly have a happy ending. Not when Euphie, Shirley and many others died and countless other lives were ruined. Yes, perhaps the end result is good, what with the world becoming a better place than what it was (of course one could argue the moral implications of how it was achieved) but there sure as hell were a lot of heavy prices to pay along the way.
Old 2009-09-15, 21:14   Link #6146
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, that's the whole thing. Code Geass is not a happy story, thus I don't think it can truly have a happy ending. Not when Euphie, Shirley and many others died and countless other lives were ruined. Yes, perhaps the end result is good, what with the world becoming a better place than what it was (of course one could argue the moral implications of how it was achieved) but there sure as hell were a lot of heavy prices to pay along the way.
Very true. Shirley died because Lelouch kept that obsessive person with him in order to use him to full extent. That was a very heavy price to pay. Euphie was very tragic because Lelouch was careless with his geass. It ended up having Euphie soil her name and personality. Not only that, but Lelouch was the one that had to take her life.
Old 2009-09-15, 21:19   Link #6147
Sailor C.C

yeah, when Lelouch had to kill Euphe, it was really sad. The whole Rolo killing Shirley wasn't much of a surprise to me, when Shirley's dad died, I knew that the Fenette family was screwed. But in the end Code Geass had a happy, yet sad ending. The future was great, but at what cost?
Sailor C.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:26   Link #6148
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
But according too Director Goro Taniguchi states that it's up to the viewers to decide how they want to interpret the ending, but that he himself likes to see it as a happy ending. Writer Ichirō Ōkouchi agrees, saying that while some may regard Lelouch's end as a tragedy, he too likes to think of the ending as a happy one because Lelouch created a better tomorrow for those left behind.
I have heard this before...doesn't this mean that Zero Requiem was a failure then? It's primary purpose was for Lelouch and Suzaku to punish themselves, but Lelouch died in Nunally's arms and according to the new epilogue bit from C.C. in the ZR edition, Lelouch died experiencing a profound sense of happiness and fulfillment.

The very idea that he has given anyone a better tomorrow let alone those he cares about is contradictory to anything even approaching reality. ZR's premise was "Kill anything that gets in the way of satisfying my ego."

Suzaku is left with a Fate Worse Than Death.

Nunally is being shadowed by her brother's killer who also happens to be the only boy she ever loved who will never be WITH her, yet will always be AROUND her and she must now rule half the world in the wake of horrendous war, opression, and an economc devastation of biblical proportions. All this while believing her brother was a good person and having to endure others calling him a sadistic butcher.

C.C. has lost the only person who came to genuinely care about her, even after seeing her true nature, and her face is probably in the history books as the Demon Emperor's consort/helper, so now the whole world really will hate her.

Shirley is dead, and if we are to believe her poem, 'realized' that while Lelouch cared for her, it wasn't in the way she wanted him to.

Kallen has watched someone she loved more than her brother, mother, friends, and country COMBINED kill himself in a way that will never let her mourn him and indeed forces her to curse his name in order to honor him, all while devoting the rest of her life to juggling caring for an invalid (probably braindamaged) woman with no trained help and minimal (if any) income with her studies among people whose very way of life she has been opposing for half of her life.

The Ashford crew are in the dark about ZR, believing their close friend was a psycho.

Jeremiah is certainly wanted for crimes against humanity.

The world has no reason to trust ZeroZaku, or Britannia, and has lost 70% of a resource that was used in nearly every facet of its technology.

How is this anything other than a Downer Ending? Is happy music really that powerful?
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:42   Link #6149
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't ever recall Taniguchi ever saying he thought it was a happy ending. What I do recall is him saying he thought it was good ending. And that we, as viewers, can interpret whether or not it was a good ending.
Old 2009-09-15, 21:47   Link #6150
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor C.C View Post
yeah, when Lelouch had to kill Euphe, it was really sad. The whole Rolo killing Shirley wasn't much of a surprise to me, when Shirley's dad died, I knew that the Fenette family was screwed. But in the end Code Geass had a happy, yet sad ending. The future was great, but at what cost?
That's what we call a bittersweet ending. Code Geass had, at the very least, a bittersweet ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I don't ever recall Taniguchi ever saying he thought it was a happy ending. What I do recall is him saying he thought it was good ending. And that we, as viewers, can interpret whether or not it was a good ending.
That sounds more reasonable.
Old 2009-09-15, 23:33   Link #6151
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerSane View Post
I remember that, but I was under the impression that the relationship was suppose to be a big sister looking after her younger brother type of relationship.
It was true that there was to have been a greater focus on the development of the relationship between Suzaku x Cecil, which might have been more than just "friends". Cecil sees Suzaku as someone who reminds her of the man she had lost in battle in one of the last Picture Dramas. Thus, in the aftermath of Euphemia's death, that might have paved the way for a Cecil x Suzaku relationship on a romantic level. Instead, that possible relationship was replaced with Gino's friendship.

Cecil never saw Suzaku as a little brother. Far from it. Anytime when a woman sees a man who reminds her of a past lover, than that means that she sees that person as more than just a friend. And Suzaku might have fell in that category. Too bad that it was never realized in the second season.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 23:47   Link #6152
darthfury78

Quote:
I have heard this before...doesn't this mean that Zero Requiem was a failure then? It's primary purpose was for Lelouch and Suzaku to punish themselves, but Lelouch died in Nunally's arms and according to the new epilogue bit from C.C. in the ZR edition, Lelouch died experiencing a profound sense of happiness and fulfillment.

The very idea that he has given anyone a better tomorrow let alone those he cares about is contradictory to anything even approaching reality. ZR's premise was "Kill anything that gets in the way of satisfying my ego."

Nunally is being shadowed by her brother's killer who also happens to be the only boy she ever loved who will never be WITH her, yet will always be AROUND her and she must now rule half the world in the wake of horrendous war, opression, and an economc devastation of biblical proportions. All this while believing her brother was a good person and having to endure others calling him a sadistic butcher.

C.C. has lost the only person who came to genuinely care about her, even after seeing her true nature, and her face is probably in the history books as the Demon Emperor's consort/helper, so now the whole world really will hate her.

Shirley is dead, and if we are to believe her poem, 'realized' that while Lelouch cared for her, it wasn't in the way she wanted him to.

Kallen has watched someone she loved more than her brother, mother, friends, and country COMBINED kill himself in a way that will never let her mourn him and indeed forces her to curse his name in order to honor him, all while devoting the rest of her life to juggling caring for an invalid (probably braindamaged) woman with no trained help and minimal (if any) income with her studies among people whose very way of life she has been opposing for half of her life.

The Ashford crew are in the dark about ZR, believing their close friend was a psycho.

Jeremiah is certainly wanted for crimes against humanity.

The world has no reason to trust ZeroZaku, or Britannia, and has lost 70% of a resource that was used in nearly every facet of its technology.

How is this anything other than a Downer Ending? Is happy music really that powerful?
I guess it's safe to say that this version of Code Geass R2 is now over because it can't continue from that standpoint. The Zero Requiem is a situation , as we had witnessed, a person who goes to the extreme to acquire a goal without reason. Since this pact was created to honor Shirley x Nunnally, I don't think that either of them would have wanted this. Once Nunnally was safe and sound, even she could not stop Lelouch from acheiving his suicide wish.

I still think that the ZR was the biggest bullshit event that I have ever seen. This was no happy ending, in my opinion. It was conceived to put Code Geass to a complete stop. This is what the creators had hoped for because all of these endless debates would eventually force Sunrise hand. Thus, if Sunrise gives the greenlight to do another Code Geass series, Taniguchi will undoubtly re-make the entire second season of Code Geass R2 with a different ending, if he wish to continue the storyline, from an alternate universe perspective.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 23:49   Link #6153
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
It was true that there was to have been a greater focus on the development of the relationship between Suzaku x Cecil, which might have been more than just "friends". Cecil sees Suzaku as someone who reminds her of the man she had lost in battle in one of the last Picture Dramas. Thus, in the aftermath of Euphemia's death, that might have paved the way for a Cecil x Suzaku relationship on a romantic level. Instead, that possible relationship was replaced with Gino's friendship.

Cecil never saw Suzaku as a little brother. Far from it. Anytime when a woman sees a man who reminds her of a past lover, than that means that she sees that person as more than just a friend. And Suzaku might have fell in that category. Too bad that it was never realized in the second season.
That would have been something very interesting to watch. Plus even though Cecil was not one of the main players, the anime did manage to put her in some very sexy outfits.
Old 2009-09-15, 23:51   Link #6154
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Jeremiah wanted for war crimes? Those were probably blamed on Lelouch, who "geassed" Orange into service >_> .

Those retards like Ougi don't know crap about Geass, any story would fly with them. It wouldn't even occur to them that Jeremiah acted out of his own free will, 200% loyalty + 100% concentrate.

Besides, what would they do, arrest him? Lol.
Old 2009-09-15, 23:57   Link #6155
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... actually, considering that Rakshata was likely the one to repair him, its quite possible they'd be able to arrest him using a Gefun Disturber trap, like Lelouch did before. She'd likely know; she's got background in medical technology, and created the Disturber tech, which means she'd definitely be able to figure out how he was damaged and how to fix him.
Old 2009-09-16, 00:18   Link #6156
Xander

Quote:
It's a bittersweet ending. There's both happiness and sadness involved, sure, as well as numerous alternative interpretations about how either emotion impacts each individual.

A lot depends on what degree of cynicism you want to adopt when analyzing what is essentially a sci-fi / fantasy cartoon primarily aimed at teenagers. Not a literary work meant for normal adults and overly skeptic critics. Extreme deconstruction can destroy almost anything but also tends to miss the point of the story.

There's probably some rhetorical exaggeration there too. C.C. is talking about someone she admired, understood and loved, but she is not a replacement for Lelouch himself. He was apparently happy to die while creating a new status quo for the world, because he didn't want to die without accomplishing something, but let us not forget that also included denying himself the ability to live in said world as punishment. His reputation will also be forever negative.

Quote:
The very idea that he has given anyone a better tomorrow let alone those he cares about is contradictory to anything even approaching reality.
Reality is not relevant to Code Geass (or most anime) except in a transitory and selective fashion.

Quote:
He actually wanted to die and may think this was a fitting alternative instead. It's still punishment but turns his desire for death around into an obligation to live for something, ridiculously idealistic or not.

Quote:
I would say her reaction to his death says enough. That she has been able to accept his death months after the fact doesn't mean a part of her isn't hurting inside too. You may think that's unbearable, but there are human beings who have survived far worse (see the horrors of WWII and how much Europe was ruined by them). One fictional character could easily do the same.

Quote:
That would be the pessimistic point of view, but C.C. seems to be going with the optimistic approach for now.

Even without having him around, which should definitely create a big hole in her heart, C.C. was already starting to appreciate life once again even before Lelouch's death. The fact that he died doesn't change what he made her realize. It's not like this was fully spelled out by the show, but there are signs of that logic being implemented.

Quote:
The world isn't a single entity but, even if it were, there isn't a need for it to be as cynical as either of us could be if we wanted to push the issue to its logical extreme (instead of a less logical and/or at least less extreme outcome).
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 01:16   Link #6157
Bloodseeker

More like they went with the cliched ending (in stories that don't feel like they're aimed almost completely at tweens, don't involve super-powered kung fu, and where the protagonist isn't the rightful heir to the thrown (or really close friends with the heir), the rebel protagonist that leads the fight against the superpower against all odds usually dies; same thing with inherently good natured anti-heroes that do a lot of morally ambiguous things; I was calling it right at the beginning and hoping that they wouldn't go for it throughout; you can probably find a post or two of mine like that here; I would have been surprised if Lelouch had lived) and forgot what kind of story elements usually help to make said endings bittersweet rather than just downers.

Its not much of a happy ending when most of your favorites are either dead or have become so meh that you just don't care about them anymore (by the time the last episode rolled around, out of the still-living cast, I liked CC (who didn't really get a happy ending despite living, unless season 3 reveals that Lelouch lives), Jeremiah, and Tamaki; most of the rest could have died without me mourning them even a little, though a few might have had me mourning what used to be a character that I liked), and where the characters that needed to die didn't. (Nina, Ougi, and Suzaku; Rolo died, but he got a heroic death, so that negates some of the potential awesome that could have been had if he died with a scene that was obviously supposed to evoke a "FUCK YEAH, GOOD RIDDANCE" reaction from the audience like the piece of garbage that he was)
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 01:43   Link #6158
Bloodseeker

You know, Code Geass R2 really was a master at making me feel the exact opposite of what they wanted me to. Its an awkward feeling when the show is trying to get you to feel one thing and you're feeling the exact opposite.

Spoiler for Kallen makes her big entrance, kills Valkyrie Squad:

Spoiler for Nunally 'dies':

Spoiler for Rolo dies:

Spoiler for MOTHERFUCKING DEMOCRACY:

Spoiler for Nunally lives:

Spoiler for Nunally gets thrown out of her wheelchair:

Spoiler for Suzaku spares every named character that he faces in the final battle:

Spoiler for Lelouch dies:
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 01:49   Link #6159
Nobodyman9
Banned

^LOL, I love cynical bastards like you Bloodseeker

(No really, I sincerely mean that)
Old 2009-09-16, 02:00   Link #6160
NoLongerSane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
You know, Code Geass R2 really was a master at making me feel the exact opposite of what they wanted me to. Its an awkward feeling when the show is trying to get you to feel one thing and you're feeling the exact opposite.

Spoiler for Kallen makes her big entrance, kills Valkyrie Squad:

Spoiler for Nunally 'dies':

Spoiler for Rolo dies:

Spoiler for MOTHERFUCKING DEMOCRACY:

Spoiler for Nunally lives:

Spoiler for Nunally gets thrown out of her wheelchair:

Spoiler for Suzaku spares every named character that he faces in the final battle:

Spoiler for Lelouch dies:

Lol, I still sense that you are holding back on some of your comments. As for the Valkyria Squad, they at least got a little bit of action before being fed to Kallen. Monica and Dorothea just showed up in their Knightmares and were immediatly fed to Suzaku without putting up a fight.