AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-05-30, 10:28   Link #4681
revive4563

Well, I couldn't sympathize Gon's excessive reaction about the matter of Kite, after all.
But as a story, it is far interesting than if Gon defeat Meruem with Rock-Paper-Rock. I don't know the future but I wish it does not happen.
Maybe Togashi is one of the mangaka who learnt that oddity is necessary to succeed in manga business. I'm certain he is good writer.
Because for example in this genre, if there is no oddity=originality, it is mere copycat of Dragon Ball.
Seriously I believe Attack on Titan succeeded because he is unskillful to draw picture.
Most of mangaka are not able to become into gifted genius like Toriyama or Araki.

btw R.I.P. Pitou

Last edited by revive4563; 2014-05-30 at 16:34. Reason: Attack 'on' Titan :p
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 14:59   Link #4682
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
it might have been harsher on Pitou, but i don't think much was gained from character in these final moments that we really needed to know, other than perhaps the tidbit that Gon had power equal to the King (and personally I think that would've been better left ambiguous anyway).
Personally I think the fact that Pitou died happy because of her "love" for the King, contrasted with Gon's despair and hatred, was pretty much the entire point of the scene. This entire arc is about love.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 21:05   Link #4683
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know, back when this happened in the manga, it turned out to be a huge-ass base breaker. At least on this forum it seems audience reaction is a lot more subdued. Most of them seem to understand how this happened.

I guess the main problem is in "what happens next"
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 00:47   Link #4684
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You know, back when this happened in the manga, it turned out to be a huge-ass base breaker. At least on this forum it seems audience reaction is a lot more subdued. Most of them seem to understand how this happened.

Base breaker? That must be why H x H was the #8-selling manga in Japan last year without a single new volume.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 03:35   Link #4685
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

To elaborate, I saw it happen on a forum where people were speaking English. Apparently Shinobi has experienced something similar.
Old 2014-05-31, 05:29   Link #4686
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's well and good, and I don't doubt it was a controversial moment. But given the nosebleed ratings you still see the H x H manga get at English-language manga sites, I still wonder if it goes to the level of base-breaker.

When I see hate posts directed at H x H (and I blog it at two sites, so I see plenty) about 98% come as a direct result of people expecting shounen conventions and interpreting what they see through the lens of conventional shounen. People love to bitch, but I don't get the sense a whole lot of them are actually abandoning the ship.
Old 2014-05-31, 08:09   Link #4687
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
People love to bitch
Especially in the randomc comments section
Old 2014-05-31, 09:01   Link #4688
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
Especially in the randomc comments section
No comment.
Old 2014-05-31, 09:45   Link #4689
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
To elaborate, I saw it happen on a forum where people were speaking English. Apparently Shinobi has experienced something similar.
More like troll attacks who make fun of the idea of HxH's "supposed" popularity and the hype delivered by fans of it being a different kind of writing and doesn't use the traditional shonen cliches, only to have Togashi uses the "traditional power-up out of nowhere to beat an impossible to beat villain" card and you can tell where this goes from here.

You know what, I'm thankful for the anime. Thankful for my choice of keeping my weekly posts. Because if I didn't so, I'd miss a lot of details and subtle hints along the lines that I sure missed during my first time reading it. Which is how I was able to analyze the transformation a bit more and the conditions met and the result I came up was as you read by yours truly.
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 13:18   Link #4690
Dawnstorm

Quote:
When I see hate posts directed at H x H (and I blog it at two sites, so I see plenty) about 98% come as a direct result of people expecting shounen conventions and interpreting what they see through the lens of conventional shounen.
Actually, I'd argue people are viewing this through the wrong shounen convention: I keep seeing Super Seiyan power up, but I'm thinking more of succumb to your inner darkness, aka Naruto releasing the seals on his inner fox. This is not so much a power up, as an imbalance that needs to be addressed. I'm not a fan of the genre, so I'm not very well versed, but I'd think what I saw here isn't that unusual.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 14:18   Link #4691
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
That's well and good, and I don't doubt it was a controversial moment. But given the nosebleed ratings you still see the H x H manga get at English-language manga sites, I still wonder if it goes to the level of base-breaker.

When I see hate posts directed at H x H (and I blog it at two sites, so I see plenty) about 98% come as a direct result of people expecting shounen conventions and interpreting what they see through the lens of conventional shounen. People love to bitch, but I don't get the sense a whole lot of them are actually abandoning the ship.
My experiences were kind of the opposite of that. People were raging because 'mighty Togashi' went 'the conventional shonen route'. Also 'asspull'. Maybe I was hanging out at the wrong forum at the time, but opinions seemed rather 50/50.

Anyway, getting back on topic. If you ask me, this is neither "Classic Super Saiyan" nor "Inner darkness". I view it as a deconstruction of the sudden powerup. It was properly foreshadowed, and at a few points people say "don't use such a power". Usually in Shonen, the hero ends up using it anyway and making it work through sheer willpower. In this case, while techincally it ended up "working", the scene is anything BUT triumphant. It is a most horrible experience to everyone involved (except, ironically, the villain, who dies knowing that this person will never threaten the king).

I've come to view the series as a whole as a deconstruction of many shonen tropes.
Old 2014-05-31, 14:25   Link #4692
Arkeus

Quote:

I think a good part of this is the slow update rate and the anime having had the whole thing happening in a single episode.

In this, we are seeing it much more from the lens of Killua who is /horrified/ about what it means for Gon, while in the manga we didn't see Killua's reaction for at once.

Hence, the 'classic power up" complaints, because people were ignoring Pouf being /happy/ about it, and all the prior hints that Gon was /breaking/, not becoming 'better'.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-31, 18:59   Link #4693
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
My experiences were kind of the opposite of that. People were raging because 'mighty Togashi' went 'the conventional shonen route'. Also 'asspull'. Maybe I was hanging out at the wrong forum at the time, but opinions seemed rather 50/50.
How is that the opposite? I think it's pretty much exactly what I said.
Old 2014-05-31, 19:14   Link #4694
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I thought you meant to say that people were angry that he -didn't- go the shonen route.
Old 2014-05-31, 21:30   Link #4695
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I thought you meant to say that people were angry that he -didn't- go the shonen route.
Well, I guess it's semantics. What I mean is, I think people interpret what he does as if they were seeing it in a conventional shounen, and assume it represents the same thing.
Old 2014-06-01, 00:24   Link #4696
yuki kohaku

best anime i've ever seen XD
Old 2014-06-01, 13:44   Link #4697
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
I don't think it was bgm. I think they just started the theme from 0:20 after the chorus
It was bgm, i'm talking about the slower, instrumental version of Hyori Ittai that started playing after Killua thought about Bisky. That's not from the song itself, it's a different version.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 15:35   Link #4698
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well regardless, this "powerup" gives me the complete opposite emotion than a shonen powerup normally does. It looks horrifying and saddening. (it also looks a bit silly, but things in real life don't always look the way they should either)
Old 2014-06-01, 17:22   Link #4699
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think it was obviously sad (as intended), but I dunno, seeing Pitou basically get one shot was pretty awesome regardless.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 17:56   Link #4700
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, at first I was thinking of asspull powerups, like Togashi tossed a few at the end of Yu Yu Hakusho, but the intent is completely different.

Usually, we have a triumphant feel; that the protagonist has overcome all that is against them and is effectively rewarded with power.

In this case, Gon is rewarded at power but he breaks himself mentally and may have screwed up himself for lord knows how long, while Pitou is the happy one that dies out of loyalty. Shouldn't this be the moment of celebration? Yet it feels like the antagonists are the ones that seem to always get the last laugh.

Also, I can't wait until Pouf gets whatever is coming to him.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen