AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-22, 14:04   Link #581
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Saw this on my feeds today. An interesting bit of trivia about this show is out today in the form of commentary from the show's director (revealed in the noitaminA radio show):

Spoiler for Revealed in director interview:
I always find these sorts of "behind the scenes" bits of trivia interesting, as it often helps explain how things came to be and the various pressures/challenges that come with these sorts of projects.
No surprises here. I only found out last week that this episode would be the final one which took me a little by surprise because the pacing and premise of the story heavily suggested a two cour series, and the amount of plot threads left after the last episode couldn't possibly be finished competently in one episode. I assumed they were simply planning on going split cour like Valvrave but and after watching this travesty of finale my immediate impression was that they had to just cram everything in to the last episode, whether it worked or not.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 15:11   Link #582
sikvod00

I feel like the show only cared about Hozuki and everything else was a second thought. Rather than this being a series about the adventures of the three sisters and their quest to get their family back together, a more accurate synopsis would be "we really like Hozuki and so will you!"

The fact that they were actually planning on making this two-cours obviously makes me wonder how the story would have actually unfolded. Perhaps the other two sisters would have mattered? The cynic in me thinks that they intentionally made Hozuki the main character for that purpose. They were banking on many people liking Hozuki so much that they would be willing to endure what a hot mess everything else was.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-22, 17:27   Link #583
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

Why, Aniplex?! Did they have like no confidence in the series?
Sometimes it really seems that Television Producers are recruited from the most shortsighted people in the world. They cancelled Star Trek in the 60's because, you know, that series was never going to go anywhere....
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 02:37   Link #584
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
The last episode was rushed, but I still enjoyed it. The show had a lot of potential, but felt short in the end. This is just an above average anime for me. Hozuki was just awesome though and I like the fact that it was the same seiyuu that voiced Silica in SAO. It was one of the better shows this season.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 11:54   Link #585
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Wow, that ending. Ridiculously rushed, but it seems like it's not entirely the fault of the creators. Man, this show could've really benefited from being a two-cour series.

And I still don't know what the Galileo Tesoro is lawl. Shows how much I've been paying attention.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 15:17   Link #586
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Ya know, something tells me this would have benefited being on the NHK channel than part of the noitaminA block. The very premise suggest this should have been at least a 2-cour adventure series that you may some educational mileage out of as well.
Old 2013-12-24, 07:03   Link #587
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Saw this on my feeds today. An interesting bit of trivia about this show is out today in the form of commentary from the show's director (revealed in the noitaminA radio show):

I always find these sorts of "behind the scenes" bits of trivia interesting, as it often helps explain how things came to be and the various pressures/challenges that come with these sorts of projects.
When did they decide to shorten it? When they started working on the 11th, or possibly 10th episode?

That last ep had a very deus ex machina feel. "We've written ourselves in a corner, so the gods descend and solve everything".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-24, 17:16   Link #588
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
When did they decide to shorten it? When they started working on the 11th, or possibly 10th episode?

That last ep had a very deus ex machina feel. "We've written ourselves in a corner, so the gods descend and solve everything".
It sounds like it happened during the planning stages. In that sense, they had time to (awkwardly) rearrange the show into an 11 episode format, but maybe not enough to rethink story development from scratch.

At any rate, they would've been aware of the episode count by the time they wrote the actual scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
Ya know, something tells me this would have benefited being on the NHK channel than part of the noitaminA block.
I doubt this was ever planned for NHK, but yeah, the decision to broadcast on noitaminA may have been made later on.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-25, 15:33   Link #589
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

I guess that's confirmed then. The second I started watching the last episode it didn't take long to reach the conclusion that they REALLY crammed a lot of story in there at the final moments. I was wondering if I had missed an episode at times but by the half way point of the show I got the message that this was quite possible the hardest trainwreck I've seen in quite some time now. I know that plenty of shows end up rushing their stories on the final stretch [one and two-cour shows alike, anime story planning needs improvement overall] but this show just took the cake. It felt like a recap episode more than a proper episode.

It's a shame though. The show had quite a bit of charm all the way through and I was curious to see where the story was going but clearly they didn't have the time to do the proper reworking of the story from the 22 planned to the final 11 episode count. Unlike most folks I don't consider this to have been a bad show, it wasn't amazing but it had a lot more flair in it's world than many of the cookie-cutter shows that show up season after season. Sadly it'll go down in history with what is most likely the most botched ending I can remember.
Old 2013-12-25, 23:28   Link #590
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 21:24   Link #591
justpassingby

As a regular customer to Asahi Novels, the novelization of Galilei Donna (author Henri Makoto) greatly pleases me.

source: Asahi Novels twitter

Last edited by justpassingby; 2013-12-26 at 22:00.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 23:00   Link #592
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

If they wanted to entrance me with awesome artwork, this box set is BEAUTIFUL.
Old 2014-01-20, 23:19   Link #593
Kazu-kun

^ That looks pretty good. Is it a BD cover or something?
Old 2014-01-21, 00:08   Link #594
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^ That looks pretty good. Is it a BD cover or something?
Yeah, it's for the Vol.2 Blu-Ray. :3
Old 2014-02-10, 04:33   Link #595
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Old 2014-02-16, 07:59   Link #596
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...80557&page=top
Old 2014-04-09, 03:45   Link #597
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Old 2014-04-11, 04:06   Link #598
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Apparently, the fish is an action figure. It even comes with the MP5.
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/det...05553&page=top
Old 2014-10-08, 11:06   Link #599
tsunade666

Good anime with a crappy ending. The last episode felt stupid. But I like the ending bit with Hazuki and Galileo. I hope she manage to find a way to met him even though it looks like she didn't manage to go back. Such a sweet love letter and story.
Old 2015-02-04, 08:56   Link #600
LKK

Licensed by Discotek

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, sci-fi, unintentional comedy