AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-04-22, 20:30   Link #41
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Maybe God is closer to the eastern views. In Hinduism, God is Ultimate Reality, and there is Ultimate Reality in Buddhism and Taoism (Nirvana, Tao), but they aren't seen as a "personal creator God" in those religions.
Old 2011-04-22, 20:51   Link #42
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Oh, I don't discount the existence of life (even sentient life) from outside the realm of our perception. I don't know if it exists, but I can't say it doesn't.

You can't prove a negative, after all.

No, what I discount is a Bronze Age fairy tale about a magical guy in the sky who created the world in six days and thinks people who don't sufficiently slob his knob should be condemned to a fiery torture pit for all eternity.

If an actual "god" exists, in the traditional sense of a transcendent being far beyond any human capacity to understand, it is certainly not the God of the Bible, which has suspiciously human (and patriarchal, and racist) motivations.
I agree completely. I do believe in higher/alternate planes of existence, and I don't believe that death is anything more or less than the end of one chapter of existence and the start of another. I won't profess to know what it is, I enjoy pondering it sometimes, and I don't preach about it to others.

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go to school to study metaphysics. =\ Probably wouldn't pay very well anyway.
Old 2011-04-22, 21:29   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go to school to study metaphysics. =\ Probably wouldn't pay very well anyway.
You can get your doctorate in metaphysics at Miskatonic University and do your best to avoid going insane as you battle the minions of the Old Ones and the Elder Gods.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-04-22 at 22:44.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 21:41   Link #44
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but often in academic circles we tend to say that if a line of research doesn't have any economical, academic or knowledge value and is completely self contained to the point that studying it has no tangible repercussion on any branch of knowledge then it's no different than intellectual fornication.

There are many things out there that may be possible, but if they are not provable by any methods then its intellectual pursue is little more than a waste of time for everyone else but the thinker. Which is why, in many circles metaphysics is often scorned when treated as anything but a personal intellectual exercise.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-22, 22:22   Link #45
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I guess the joke was missed. Ah well. Probably should have added an emoticon.

I'm well aware of the criticisms of metaphysics as a field of academia. The joke was a reference to how people will believe in something like God seriously, but are quick to scorn and downplay others for their philosophical beliefs.

On that note however, and not to stray too off topic, I rather enjoyed this article about the meaning of metaphysics.
Old 2011-04-23, 00:39   Link #46
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
One of my personal favorite saying about God and religion that I'm pretty sure I saw on the net ages ago: God's awesome, but his fanclubs suck (and notice how it's all the fanclubs putting things in play)

and let's keep in mind that the Bible was written by people, and is perhaps one of the most x-rated books there is

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 00:56   Link #47
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

G - Good
O - Ol
D - Dad
Old 2011-04-23, 02:12   Link #48
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If an actual "god" exists, in the traditional sense of a transcendent being far beyond any human capacity to understand, it is certainly not the God of the Bible, which has suspiciously human (and patriarchal, and racist) motivations.
Why is that such a certainty? And who's to say humans have the monopoly on such motivations?

As for the state of the world if God was a woman, it probably won't differ much than how it is today assuming all other characteristics of God remain the same. One significant change might be in the way that the people address God.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 07:55   Link #49
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Maybe God is closer to the eastern views. In Hinduism, God is Ultimate Reality, and there is Ultimate Reality in Buddhism and Taoism (Nirvana, Tao), but they aren't seen as a "personal creator God" in those religions.
Thing is, if you really study them closely, the Abrahamic religions kind of put god in that light as well. It's just confusing because they try to have it both ways and make god an anthropomorphized being as well; with many modern Christian denominations emphasizing the personal nature perhaps moreso than in the past. Of course, Buddhism can have this problem as well, depending on the sect, with Bodhisattvas and Buddhas being almost deified in some sects whereas in others the theistic element is almost entirely lacking.

If I were to hypothesize as to why this happens, I would say it is because in both Christianity and Buddhism there's a remarkable tendency for older native beliefs to become intermingled over time with the original canon. In Buddhism's case you can use Japan as an example, with many Japanese Buddhist schools heavily influenced by Shintoism and classical Japanese culture. With Christianity the amalgamation is a bit more difficult to perceive, but under the surface you find a combination of Greek mystery cults, Pagan rituals, and Roman bureaucracy and theatrics. Hinduism is like this as well, but the original blending is even more ancient and dates back to the time of Indo-European migration into the subcontinent.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 08:54   Link #50
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I guess the joke was missed. Ah well. Probably should have added an emoticon.

I'm well aware of the criticisms of metaphysics as a field of academia. The joke was a reference to how people will believe in something like God seriously, but are quick to scorn and downplay others for their philosophical beliefs.

On that note however, and not to stray too off topic, I rather enjoyed this article about the meaning of metaphysics.
Quoting from Karl Popper: "Almost every conceived physical law originally stemmed from what was called metaphysics or even myth."
I think the current prejudice of metaphysics is merely mankind's new-found foolish pride in science. True scientist shouldn't disregard any possibility just because of an unproven prejudice.

Also, I can't get serious with the topic because I feel the question isn't even a serious one. I mean, we might have periodic happenings for a period of time once every month, get it? Even if God is a man, reality might also get hard too often in the morning, get it? ;-p
Old 2011-04-23, 09:04   Link #51
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

you can freely imagine god as a sexy woman, god gave man free will anyway

and yes you can imagine god as haruhi suzumiya too
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 11:00   Link #52
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

If God is a woman, 10 grand that synaesthetic gets to fourth base with her.
Old 2011-04-23, 11:46   Link #53
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Uhm… it makes absolutely no difference. No difference at all.

I think a father figure is just the more “convenient” version though.
Old 2011-04-23, 11:57   Link #54
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
One of my personal favorite saying about God and religion that I'm pretty sure I saw on the net ages ago: God's awesome, but his fanclubs suck (and notice how it's all the fanclubs putting things in play)

and let's keep in mind that the Bible was written by people, and is perhaps one of the most x-rated books there is
You know, if the old testament was considered Canon by Jews, and Christians were a later group of fans that came along, does that make the New Testament Fanfic?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 12:04   Link #55
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The whole 'gender issues' that stem from the Old Testament arise from the feuding of the different tribes way back when. Shortly after the time of Jacob, there was a time when the Malachi tribe was the predominant one of the twelve (twelve tribes originating form the twelve sons of Jacob). The Malachi tribe was a matriachal one and thus women were prominent figures and had a good deal of rights. The clan of Judah, stemming from Jacob's eldest son and firstborn, were the complete opposite - patriachal, narrow-minded and forceful. They soon took over the twelve tribes and enforced Judah's way of life and belief systems onto the people therein. That is where the term 'Judaism' comes from, because it comes from the Judah tribe. And that is where the whole male dominant line that is rampant in many countries comes from. Because tens of thousand of years ago, one clain decided it was time for them to rule the roost and thus rewrote history accordingly to suit them.
Old 2011-04-23, 12:36   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Why is that such a certainty? And who's to say humans have the monopoly on such motivations?
Then such a "god" fails to be anything more than a flawed entity.... its a sufficiently advanced alien with a disturbed disposition. Why on earth would anyone respect something like that? Fear it maybe.... at that point animism looks a lot more practical and clear.
Old 2011-04-23, 14:10   Link #57
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You can get your doctorate in metaphysics at Miskatonic University and do your best to avoid going insane as you battle the minions of the Old Ones and the Elder Gods.
I actually tried attending Miskatonic University. Arkham is a lovely town, but the tuition is much too high for me to afford. I did NOT like their tuition payment plans. I don't even want to get into that.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-23, 14:51   Link #58
Kallen4life

I'd be totally cool with that

preferabbly with long hair ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gni33QiG0I
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
god