Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-21, 21:34   Link #34061
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Massive West African Ebola outbreak 'now in a second wave':

"The Ebola outbreak is devastating West Africa and will spread to more countries
unless more aid is provided, an official with the group Doctors Without Borders said
Friday.

The outbreak has been linked to 337 deaths across Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia
and is now the deadliest on record, according to numbers released by the World
Health Organization."

See:

http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/...620-story.html
Well, that is all kinda of horrifying.

Wasn't... Outbreak (1995) based on an Ebola outbreak?
Old 2014-06-21, 22:03   Link #34062
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's not that interesting, it's how the fourth estate works now. The US media did it with Occupy Wall Street - not reporting for weeks, and even when they did it was heavily negative. The Tea Party, on the other hand, got all the mainstream support it could have ever wanted....right into Congressional seats.
I rarely ever see the Tea Party get any mainstream support outside of Fox News. Then again, I rarely ever watch the mainstream media outside of maybe Rachel Maddow (who is pretty opposed to the Tea Party) among a few others and even that is pretty rare.
Old 2014-06-22, 04:05   Link #34063
JokerD

S Korean border guard kills five fellow soldiers

His about to be discharged too, I wonder what brought this on...
Old 2014-06-22, 06:09   Link #34064
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
S Korean border guard kills five fellow soldiers

His about to be discharged too, I wonder what brought this on...
The Chinese news say is family problem.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-06-22, 20:23   Link #34065
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The Chinese news say is family problem.
South Korea troops in stand-off with killer soldier

Quote:
One media report said the conscript's parents had been taken to the site to help convince their son to turn himself in.
His parents were called in though, not sure what family problems. I told (by my sgt) that AWOL cases in NS were usually due to 2 causes, girlfriend or family. The Sg case where the guard ran off with the gun was due to girlfirend problems too...

Quote:

Troops took up positions near a primary school in Goseong
I could be wrong... but isn't that SAW unloaded?
Old 2014-06-22, 21:04   Link #34066
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...if this guy had a record of having troubles adjusting to the military after his conscription, then how the hell did he get promoted to Sergeant?

I'm sorta surprised with so many soldiers going after him, he didn't end up getting killed when he started firing on him. Do they have super explicit orders to try to take the guy alive? Suppose its the right thing in principle...but after killing just short half a dozen of his fellow soldiers like this, isn't he very liable to get the death penalty anyway?
Old 2014-06-23, 07:13   Link #34067
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...if this guy had a record of having troubles adjusting to the military after his conscription, then how the hell did he get promoted to Sergeant?

I'm sorta surprised with so many soldiers going after him, he didn't end up getting killed when he started firing on him. Do they have super explicit orders to try to take the guy alive? Suppose its the right thing in principle...but after killing just short half a dozen of his fellow soldiers like this, isn't he very liable to get the death penalty anyway?
They are usually not executed apparently

And conscript promotions are usually much quicker than in professional forces. For example a professional enlisted man with experience usually = 5 conscript sgts in value
Old 2014-06-23, 08:55   Link #34068
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
South Korea troops in stand-off with killer soldier

His parents were called in though, not sure what family problems. I told (by my sgt) that AWOL cases in NS were usually due to 2 causes, girlfriend or family. The Sg case where the guard ran off with the gun was due to girlfirend problems too...
Well that Dave Teo guy gave the SWAT team a chance to show off instead of bumming at the office or killing house.

Quote:
I could be wrong... but isn't that SAW unloaded?
It is a Daewoo K2. The magazine was removed , but probably has a round in the chamber to prevent the shooter from becoming too trigger happy.

Quote:
I have seen my fair share of incompetent commanders who either freeze up when things turn against them, or giving stupid orders like wasting smoke grenades at an enemy at close range.

So yeah, perfectly normal.

Quote:
It would start a mothers' riot; one murder does not make the another right fundamentally. Best is to capture him and let the court judge.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-06-23 at 09:13.
Old 2014-06-23, 21:43   Link #34069
JokerD

Quote:
Not sure how conscription promotions work just in SG, sgt candidates are identified after basic training and sent to sgt training course. Maybe he passed the course and get mental afterwards?

The news report says that he was on high risk suicide watchlist and was only recently put on the lower risk watchlist

Quote:
It is a Daewoo K2. The magazine was removed , but probably has a round in the chamber to prevent the shooter from becoming too trigger happy.
I'm pretty sure that's a Daewoo K3, although without the carrying handle since there's a bipod and the K2's gas piston system (I think) is on top of the barrel instead of below

Quote:
I have seen my fair share of incompetent commanders who either freeze up when things turn against them, or giving stupid orders like wasting smoke grenades at an enemy at close range.

So yeah, perfectly normal.
Well, better to find out in training than in combat, but we are all teenagers then so that is to be expected. One of my friends told me during a crisis regarding a certain boat's rear end being hit, his officer went to hid in the toilet rather than face the Chief of Navy who was in the command centre for situation updates, leaving him to face the brass alone

S Korean 'killer soldier' captured

Anyway, they caught him after his fail suicide attempt
Old 2014-06-23, 22:13   Link #34070
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

This is all very speculative, but from what I hear from Korean forums is that he might have been a target of Ki-su-yeol-uwe (rank banishment), a type of bullying specific to the Korean military. It's initiated by someone of a higher rank then that of the victim, and when it happens everyone, INCLUDING THOSE WITH LOWER RANK, starts ignoring the victim. This includes orders by the victim (the upper ranks can start issuing orders by bypassing the victim). Basically the victim is treated as invisible.

Although bullying can happen anywhere, the situation is worse in the military since the orders come from above, the victim is unable to maneuver out of the situation (you can't fight your way out like in school, either).

On top of that, the situation is even worse because the sergeant was sent to a outpost near the western DMZ. The outposts out here are known to be rather hellish places, with no outside contact for months at a time. You're basically holed up with several months worth of supplies and a bunch of "comrades."

Although he was originally designated as mentally unstable (risk level A), he was reassigned to a lower risk level (level B) because of lack of manpower; up to 20% of the 22nd Infantry is said to have some sort of mental issues (risk levels A~C).

I don't know how much of this is true, but if so, poor fellow, he was doomed to crack under these circumstances.
Old 2014-06-23, 23:36   Link #34071
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Basically, we have a case very reminiscent of Full Metal Jacket here. Those who watched the movie know what I'm referring to.
Old 2014-06-24, 02:06   Link #34072
GuZidi

Hong Kong''s democracy ''referendum'' likely to rile China''s communists
http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/...ts_940801.html
Old 2014-06-24, 04:02   Link #34073
LoveYouSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuZidi View Post
Hong Kong''s democracy ''referendum'' likely to rile China''s communists
http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/...ts_940801.html
Well, it's not just likely, we've already riled them.

We had a full blast from Chinese official news outlet commenting that no whether how many Hong Kong people took part in the referendum, the number counted for nothing against the 1.3 billion people in China.

... As if those 1.3 billion people could really take part in any referendum or even just let their voices heard. Talk about hypocrisy.
Old 2014-06-24, 07:30   Link #34074
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
Well, it's not just likely, we've already riled them.

We had a full blast from Chinese official news outlet commenting that no whether how many Hong Kong people took part in the referendum, the number counted for nothing against the 1.3 billion people in China.

... As if those 1.3 billion people could really take part in any referendum or even just let their voices heard. Talk about hypocrisy.
Nope. Either that they don't care, or their "patriotism" will dictate their choice.
Old 2014-06-24, 07:52   Link #34075
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Not sure how conscription promotions work just in SG, sgt candidates are identified after basic training and sent to sgt training course. Maybe he passed the course and get mental afterwards?
Uh SISPEC here is voluntary - tick yes for command school, pass your physical fitness, range and fieldcraft, finish your field camp without getting malaria/dengue, broken bones, heat exhaustion, losing your rifle, and it is an automatic entry.

It is OCS that requires you to have a high score for situational test. Having a good set of A levels results, Local Study Award or Scholarship can bypass that even if you suck at command situations.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's a Daewoo K3, although without the carrying handle since there's a bipod and the K2's gas piston system (I think) is on top of the barrel instead of below
I wouldn't mind being the soldier. I get to watch over primary school kids while looking cool!

Yeah it is a K3 light machine gun. There is a belt-feeding flap on top.

Quote:
Well, better to find out in training than in combat, but we are all teenagers then so that is to be expected. One of my friends told me during a crisis regarding a certain boat's rear end being hit, his officer went to hid in the toilet rather than face the Chief of Navy who was in the command centre for situation updates, leaving him to face the brass alone
Rear ending another boat is nothing, the brass will cover up for you and blame the merchant ship for having a shitty navigator; it is always their fault because it is easy to blame someone who is rushing for a worldwide delivery in a busy green-water strait.

Try losing 3000 rounds of ammunition. The approving officer will always try to blame the CPL/SGT when it comes to cases like this, then proceed to take leave to avoid being questioned by a very busy senior officer. Useless overeducated piece of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
This is all very speculative, but from what I hear from Korean forums is that he might have been a target of Ki-su-yeol-uwe (rank banishment), a type of bullying specific to the Korean military. It's initiated by someone of a higher rank then that of the victim, and when it happens everyone, INCLUDING THOSE WITH LOWER RANK, starts ignoring the victim. This includes orders by the victim (the upper ranks can start issuing orders by bypassing the victim). Basically the victim is treated as invisible.

Although bullying can happen anywhere, the situation is worse in the military since the orders come from above, the victim is unable to maneuver out of the situation (you can't fight your way out like in school, either).

On top of that, the situation is even worse because the sergeant was sent to a outpost near the western DMZ. The outposts out here are known to be rather hellish places, with no outside contact for months at a time. You're basically holed up with several months worth of supplies and a bunch of "comrades."

Although he was originally designated as mentally unstable (risk level A), he was reassigned to a lower risk level (level B) because of lack of manpower; up to 20% of the 22nd Infantry is said to have some sort of mental issues (risk levels A~C).

I don't know how much of this is true, but if so, poor fellow, he was doomed to crack under these circumstances.
OTOH, "rank banishment" here is treated as a privilege here. It is exclusively given to soldiers so incompetent that they cannot even get anything done right, and there is no opportunity to include him as an accidental casualty during a live-fire session.

Everyone ignores you means that there is NOTHING to do - you can hide in the 5-ton during night ops and sleep and nobody cares. Cultures REALLY differ.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-06-24 at 08:07.
Old 2014-06-24, 08:01   Link #34076
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Uh SISPEC here is voluntary - tick yes for command school, pass your physical fitness, range and fieldcraft, finish your field camp without getting malaria/dengue, broken bones, heat exhaustion, losing your rifle, and it is an automatic entry.

It is OCS that requires you to have a high score for situational test. Having a good set of A levels results, Local Study Award or Scholarship can bypass that even if you suck at command situations.
Thought your peers can sabo you also during evaluation?
Old 2014-06-24, 08:15   Link #34077
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Thought your peers can sabo you also during evaluation?
As long as you are not the stuck-up git or useless piece of shit, you would be surprised to find people sticking up for you just for the smallest things you have done - like lending a magazine to him when he loses his during inspection, going around bartering for non-dairy rations because he is lactose intolerant or filling the bottles for everyone in your bunk while they clean the room before stand-by bed. I have had half a platoon siding with me on the platoon bully when he wanted to start a fight with me simply because I laugh off practical jokes like pouring toothpaste/liquid polish into boots (this is what we do when we are bored).

Same as out there in life - little things DO matter, just be ready to turn it into an altruistic act. Karma being a bitch doesn't mean she isn't a cute little doggy girl.

Old 2014-06-24, 10:06   Link #34078
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post

That is horrible. Can't say I've heard of anything similar over here...

Quote:
Rear ending another boat is nothing, the brass will cover up for you and blame the merchant ship for having a shitty navigator; it is always their fault because it is easy to blame someone who is rushing for a worldwide delivery in a busy green-water strait.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_Courageous
No covering up this incident...

Quote:
OTOH, "rank banishment" here is treated as a privilege here. It is exclusively given to soldiers so incompetent that they cannot even get anything done right, and there is no opportunity to include him as an accidental casualty during a live-fire session.
All I remember is one dumbass (or smartass depending on how you look at it) being so blur that the conducting officers did not allow him to use life ammo during a live fire movement exercise. So he's the one stuck with no ammo and shouting 'bang bang' during the movement.
Old 2014-06-24, 10:44   Link #34079
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

All I remember is one dumbass (or smartass depending on how you look at it) being so blur that the conducting officers did not allow him to use life ammo during a live fire movement exercise. So he's the one stuck with no ammo and shouting 'bang bang' during the movement.
Shiok what...no need clean rifle XDD
Old 2014-06-24, 11:53   Link #34080
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Shiok what...no need clean rifle XDD
If you have a sergeant or officer with a sense of fairness, that guy would help the MG team clean their toy, which IMO, you are better off cleaning your M16 because failure to do so will result in a blanket party by the MG guys.

There is no such thing as sitting around while your fellow mates have shit to do in my time, but after a few major "taupok" incidents, they use rank banishment nowadays.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_Courageous
No covering up this incident...
That is an exception because people died. And also, that is what I meant by "overeducated piece of shit" - there are maritime safety laws created for reasons of preserving human life and they don't bother to follow, then they try to contest that. Seriously?

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-06-24 at 12:17.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international