AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2018-03-26, 12:23   Link #81
Father Hentai

It's the same legal dispute. HG blocks all legal use of Mechs claiming it's HG property which ends up in court.

In the end it's the same goal: End HG legal claims on mech designs they do not own.
Old 2018-03-26, 17:28   Link #82
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
It's the same legal dispute. HG blocks all legal use of Mechs claiming it's HG property which ends up in court.

In the end it's the same goal: End HG legal claims on mech designs they do not own.
Regardless, it is now confirmed Harmony Gold will lose the license to Macross by 2021.

No matter what they do. Live action crap they might produce included. It will not extend the license.

- Tak (Now, to rub it in, lets have a live concert just outside of their company)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-08, 09:09   Link #83
magnuskn

Since this has direct implications for Macross:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-04-09, 06:09   Link #84
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I may have misunderstood what that video really meant to say, but:

Basically, HG's lawyers are now asking the JAPANESE Courts to prove that HG has legal rights to Macross material anywhere outside of Japan...? Are you F'ng kidding me?

And it's from a lawyer that joined the HG Legal team WELL AFTER the suit was raised? Are you Mudderhumpin F'ng kidding me?

AND THE US COURTS ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO ALLOW IT?

...and people ask me why I don't believe in the Justice system. $T%@#!$^!!!

I'll reiterate what I said a year ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
I know that Max Factory is planning to put out a Figma/EX:Ride Mospeada out. If I found out I can't buy it in an English-speaking country because Harmony Gold prevents it, I will grab plenty of wooden bamboo bbq sticks to shove------
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-16, 04:55   Link #85
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Partial victory...so far...
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-07-06, 01:14   Link #86
saya_leviathan

Harmony Gold Renews License to 1st Macross, Southern Cross, Mospeada Anime Series

I'm really angry at this right now. This is really a huge slap to the face for Macross fans.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 09:12   Link #87
magnuskn

Will this bloody nightmare never end?
Old 2019-07-10, 10:30   Link #88
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
No. No, it will not.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 12:16   Link #89
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
It'll never end, not in our lifetime...
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-10, 14:34   Link #90
GundamFan0083

There has been a small victory over the last couple of years.
In the UK, Big West won against Harmony Gold with the Macross Trademark, so HG isn't winning everywhere.
Also, we have not seen a proper challenge to HG's claim over the Macross Trademark in the US by Big West.
If they ever challenge it, chances are high (since Big West won against Tatsunoko and now owns the 41 designs/images from Macross that constitute all the characters, vehicles, and Valkyries) that HG would lose since they haven't produced any new product for Macross since the 1990s. I understand that Tatsunoko owns the commercial distribution rights to the original SDF Macross in so far as that specific TV show is concerned, but not the trademark to the images/designs in Macross (obviously). The IP of Macross artwork is owned by Studio Nue and Big West. What that means for HG is no sequels, and no derivatives of Macross in any new work. They're stuck. If Sony does make their rumored live-action movie, and it contains original Macross designs, then Big West has a case (whether they pursue it or not is questionable).
Worse yet, Robotech is a toxic brand because HG has been suing anybody and everybody that has anything remotely similar to Macross mecha. That soured their own fanbase decades ago and since they cannot make new Macross sequels, they're stuck with Southern Cross and Mospeada (neither of which are very popular).
Even though they own the rights to distribute the Robotech version of Macross, no one wants it so it is a Pyrrhic victory for them.

Also, China just ruled in favor of Big West giving them full control of the Macross IP and Trademark in China.

https://www.wipo.int/documentaccess/...cid=1244980501

It would seem that Big West is finally defending Macross as their property.

Last edited by LKK; 2019-07-10 at 14:49. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use the Edit button instead.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-11, 00:44   Link #91
magnuskn

Well, fingers crossed and good thoughts that we might get an official release of Macross: Frontier in the west some day. Hrrnnggghhh.
Old 2019-07-17, 22:46   Link #92
Tak

Quote:
Also, China just ruled in favor of Big West giving them full control of the Macross IP and Trademark in China.
Dude, but it's... China...

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2019-07-18, 14:32   Link #93
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Dude, but it's... China...
It's not as worthless as it once was.
China is a massive anime market at an estimated $21-billion US dollars in 2017 (last year recorded).
For Big West to gain access to that market and effectively shut Harmony Gold out of it is a big deal.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Life-Arts/Ar...arket-in-China
Old 2019-07-18, 15:35   Link #94
Tak

Quote:
It's not as worthless as it once was
China had always been a major consumer for anime media & goods. In the case of Macross, kids growing up in the 90s were already familiar with it.

The problem is not with the size of its market, the problem is, and had always been, the general respect in regards to copyright, which in China is next to non-existent.

- Tak

Old 2019-07-19, 06:04   Link #95
GundamFan0083

Quote:
China had always been a major consumer for anime media & goods. In the case of Macross, kids growing up in the 90s were already familiar with it.

The problem is not with the size of its market, the problem is, and had always been, the general respect in regards to copyright, which in China is next to non-existent.

- Tak
Well, yeah, there is that.
Old 2019-07-23, 07:18   Link #96
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

I'm annoyed because I actually like Mospeada. But I can't get anything decent (Still hoping that the Figma/FREEing Mospeada actually happens and is more affordable than the Sentinel Mospeada I missed out on).

Thing is--and I may be way overly paranoid here--with the Gundam Live Acton greenlight, I get the bad feeling that once actual trailer footage of a Hollywood Gundam movie comes out, HG will start suing the production for ripping off their Robotech franchise...
Old 2019-07-23, 12:07   Link #97
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Thing is--and I may be way overly paranoid here--with the Gundam Live Acton greenlight, I get the bad feeling that once actual trailer footage of a Hollywood Gundam movie comes out, HG will start suing the production for ripping off their Robotech franchise...
Hah, I say let them try. It'd be really amusing watching HG getting crushed by Legendary-Warner-Bandai in the court for such idiotic accusation .
Old 2019-07-23, 15:19   Link #98
Tak

I don't know why HG is continuing this losing game. It's not as if the West cannot gain access to Macross goods, we do live in the age of the internet, after all. Not to mention Macross Frontier and Delta do have official subs, they are just done overseas.

- Tak

Old 2019-07-24, 01:11   Link #99
GundamFan0083

Quote:
I don't know why HG is continuing this losing game. It's not as if the West cannot gain access to Macross goods, we do live in the age of the internet, after all. Not to mention Macross Frontier and Delta do have official subs, they are just done overseas.

- Tak
Agreed.
I also don't see any real fanbase for Robotech at this point.
If their forums are any indication, then Robotech is dead as a franchise in my opinion.
Old 2019-07-24, 04:33   Link #100
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Hah, I say let them try. It'd be really amusing watching HG getting crushed by Legendary-Warner-Bandai in the court for such idiotic accusation .
- Remember that didn't stop HG from trying to sue Hasbro for releasing a Skystriker (which Hasbro have rights to) in the colors of JEtfire (Which HAsbro has rights to)...and then demanding the G I Joe fans who bought the released toy to pay HG for damages...

(Yes, so many years later I am still salty about that!!!)

The case was thrown out of court, yeah. But the fact is: THEY TRIED TO.

So It's not a matter of if, but WHEN.