AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-07, 07:53   Link #41
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

"take this, convenience store fist of truth!"
Old 2008-11-07, 22:19   Link #42
Semantics
Ahhh, the irony.

Minorin is awesome! Granted, she's mostly there for the humor (what with being this random eccentric genki character) and doesn't have much character development compared to others but the anime just doesn't feel complete without her.

I hoped onto her bandwagon ever since episode 5's 'Minorin radar' and her 'circle -- X" thingy -- she cracks me up so much! It's just a different kind of humor from Taiga and Ryuuji. And I loved her in episode 6 especially. Her whistling during the bento scene was awesome!

"Convenience Store Fist of Truth!"

"Eloping? I don't mind that."

Haha! I think I laugh at most of her lines. XD She's awesome!
Old 2008-11-14, 00:17   Link #43
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
ADHD + parents who hate kids who don't listen = locked in dark places = a phobia in Minori = staying away from home by engrossing herself in many activities.

And no, i haven't read the novels
Old 2008-11-14, 01:07   Link #44
Tiran86

She seems to play a bigger role in the anime up to this point than in the novels.

Anime: Minori > Ami > Taiga = Ryuuji >>>>>>> Kitamura.
Novels: Ami > Taiga = Ryuuji >>>> Minori >>>> Kitamura.

Not that I have anything against Kitamura or Minori, its just they don't seem to get much development yet in the novels (read up to where Baka-tsuki has translated).
Old 2008-11-15, 18:03   Link #45
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, I'm trying to remember if I've *ever* seen "whistling in the graveyard" used as a gag moment like that with a female character. Nearly hurt myself laughing at that moment.
Old 2008-11-15, 23:45   Link #46
Isekaijin

I just can't follow this girl. She thinks and acts too fast.
She is cute and energetic, way too energetic. Wonder if she is a Suzumiya Haruhi relative.
Old 2008-11-15, 23:52   Link #47
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isekaijin View Post
I just can't follow this girl. She thinks and acts too fast.
She is cute and energetic, way too energetic. Wonder if she is a Suzumiya Haruhi relative.
God Knows. Ask her.

It is a pity she doesn't go "BYUUUNNNN!" everytime she has an inspiration and her hair is dark red like Kallen's. Anyway why Ryuuji is not taking active steps towards chasing her is beyond my understanding.
Old 2008-11-16, 00:21   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
God Knows. Ask her.

It is a pity she doesn't go "BYUUUNNNN!" everytime she has an inspiration and her hair is dark red like Kallen's. Anyway why Ryuuji is not taking active steps towards chasing her is beyond my understanding.
Initially, he froze up when confronted with her presence. One of the interesting parts of this story is that he actually is getting quite comfortable around Minorin because he's expending so much energy on Taiga (swim suit shopping, etc).

Purely my speculation - this may lead to her having more serious feelings for him that she hides "for Taiga's sake".
Old 2008-11-16, 00:37   Link #49
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Purely my speculation - this may lead to her having more serious feelings for him that she hides "for Taiga's sake".
This little detail can make the series even longer.
FUND IT.
Old 2008-11-19, 21:53   Link #50
aldw

Quote:
Yeah, I think there quite a bit of truth to that.
Old 2008-11-22, 01:12   Link #51
Joachim
et tu, brute?

i love girls like minori, active and cheerful and also funny, not a dull boring day with her
Old 2008-11-22, 04:11   Link #52
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
To be honest, as much she is fun but in real life such person will exhaust me very fast.
Old 2008-11-22, 04:35   Link #53
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Thats one of the reason why a relationship with such person would always cause you problems and thats why I think Ryuuji/Minori relationship is doomed.
Old 2008-11-22, 14:18   Link #54
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
That would be the kicker . It sounds like something Minorin would do. Now that I think about it, that expression in the rain in ep 8 gives that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
To be honest, as much she is fun but in real life such person will exhaust me very fast.
Not enough stamina huh ?
Old 2008-11-22, 14:27   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, the ep 8 "in the rain" moment kind of confirmed my suspicion. Not sure that Ryuuji quite "got" the significance of that little moment though. I suppose the summer holiday will provide a lot of extra clues for him.
Old 2008-11-22, 15:53   Link #56
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Not enough stamina huh ?
Guilty as charged.

In anime progression, Minorin herself is quite enigmatic as Ami. We are not too sure which direction of her conversation with Ryuji in ep 8 really, really goes. It could be platonic or more.
Old 2008-11-22, 16:28   Link #57
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I'm sure Minori has been fond of Ryuuji all along and just put a brave face on it when she got the wrong end of the stick about Tora x Dora. It's about time Taiga beat some sense into her and made her understand that the self-sacrificing that has been going on has been all backwards. I'd like to see Taiga setting her own feelings aside and telling Minori that Ryuuji is hot for her, I wonder what Minori would do at that point. In the game of self-sacrifice who would blink first and go for him? Maybe they should have a contest...

Actually when Minori announced a contest for Ryuuji in ep.7 I thought maybe she was going to take part too, resolving the standoff by taking Ryuuji away from both of them! Let's face it in any physical contest she would win easily, she's very athletic.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2008-11-28, 07:01   Link #58
Voitan

I like Minori a lot.

She has a wonderful sense of humor, is VERY perceptive of others, and has a carefree attitude.

She initially may appear as a ditz but that's only because she doesn't have any negative attachments in life to weigh her down, but if there were, she might be acting carefree in spite of those that would bring her down in order to escape those dilemmas.

Her ability to see through people, if the author is going deep here, is probably because she's very introspective herself. Thinks about heavy stuff, but vents off the weighty thoughts with a genki carefree attitude.
Old 2008-11-28, 07:04   Link #59
Spring_sakura111
Kanashimi o mukou eto~!

I could relate to Minorin a lot. And I love the talk between Ryuuji and her about "ghosts" when they are actually talking about "Love". It's quite a good concept.
Old 2008-11-28, 16:22   Link #60
jayohkay

At first glance, the ghost would seem like it actually means love in the romantic sense. However, I sort of get the feeling that perhaps Minori was going beyond that and referring to love--unconditional caring and concern from another person, like from a parent to a child. My reasoning for this speculation was because of how deeply provoked Minori was from Ryuji's simple question. So provoked that she would respond in riddles in the form of ghost. And ghost strongly suggests "past" which means she perhaps is referring to something in her childhood.

Then add in her overly giddy personality. She is too friendly and agreeable. My speculation for her reason to act like this is because of her childhood, she was surrounded by upset people and she forced herself to act like this in order to keep them happy. This along with that idea that Minori overworks herself with club activities and part-time jobs to avoid her home signifies that she is a deeply wounded person who has relationship problems with her parents. She's also afraid of the dark and quiet as indicated by the episode where she was locked in the shed with Ryuji... that dark and quiet could mean no love and care from parents in her life.

Interestingly enough, Minori is best friends with Taiga who coincedently has a history of bad relationships with her parents. Furthermore, Minori considers protecting Taiga from brokenheartedness her upmost duty.

I really think that Minori is going to come out as a tragic character.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters, drama