AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-03, 01:53   Link #381
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
And yet, Radio didn't get possessed immediately because the armour was in his storage. Besides, if Beast possessed another Linker right away, a lot more CDs would have occurred; kill one today, a new one appears tomorrow. There's a time lag, clearly.
You need to wear the armour to get possessed. Obviously after the second one was killed, Linkers would know the consequences of putting on the armour and thus would hesitate in putting on the armour. That is why there was a time lag. Beast had to convince the Linker to put on the armour.
Old 2013-02-03, 01:56   Link #382
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

So we cleared that, now my next question; while in a state of being a drop, can Beast interact with the holder?
Old 2013-02-03, 01:58   Link #383
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
So we cleared that, now my next question; while in a state of being a drop, can Beast interact with the holder?
Seems likely, or else the armour might have stayed in storage for its entire life, since Beast doesn't have any control over who recieves the armour as a drop (Or else it wouldn't have allowed Radio to obtain it, since it stalled its rampage for over two years).

Either way, it wouldn't be in its favour to make its existence known to Magnesium Drake, since all that would do is to stall its rampage.
Old 2013-02-04, 15:17   Link #384
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Sorry for the hiatus, been adjusting to a crazy work schedule. Anyway,
Quote:
Either way, it wouldn't be in its favour to make its existence known to Magnesium Drake, since all that would do is to stall its rampage.
Don't understand the first part. Do you mean, the item labelled {The Disaster} is hidden, like Crow couldn't see it?
Old 2013-02-04, 18:58   Link #385
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
Don't understand the first part. Do you mean, the item labelled {The Disaster} is hidden, like Crow couldn't see it?
What I meant was the conditions of Drake's possession was different to the 3rd, 4th and 5th Disaster in that while those 3 knew that they would be possessed by the armour upon wearing it, Drake did not. This means that in order to get the 3 to wear the armour Beast had to convince them in some way. However, since Drake would most likely put on the armour right after recieving it in order to benefit from whatever bonuses the armour conferred onto its wearer as soon as possible, all Beast had to do was remain silent and it would be able to possess Drake. If it had made its presence known to Drake, obviously Drake would be apprehensive and would leave the armour in storage while trying to make a decision, thus stalling the Disaster's rampage.

As for Crow, I think I read somewhere on the LN thread that when the 5th's Wire Hook latched onto him, a small piece of the Disaster broke off and was embedded in his back. That is why he didn't see the Disaster in is storage: he was already wearing it in some form.
Old 2013-02-04, 20:36   Link #386
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Alright, i accept that.

For something as OP as the Disaster, is it even possible to wear, then unequip it?
Old 2013-02-05, 04:50   Link #387
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
Alright, i accept that.

For something as OP as the Disaster, is it even possible to wear, then unequip it?
Nope. When the Disaster is activated Beast takes complete control over the avatar (the only exception was Silver Crow, but as his infection had special circumstances, it is likely he was an exception.). As such, the Disaster will stay equppied until the avatar is erased from Brain Burst. This is why the previous 4 Disasters that were infected had to be hunted down and executed. If there had been a way to remove the curse without erasing the avatar, Scarlet Rain would have definitely looked for one, considering her relation with the 5th Disaster Cherry Rook.
Old 2013-02-05, 10:27   Link #388
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I accept that, but there's one last point about Enhanced Armaments I want to clear. V3 says it's possible to set commands to equip or not equip armaments upon spawning. Thus, is it not possible to the Disaster, itself at heart an armament, to be set as initially unequipped? Especially since my story is basically already assuming Drake hid the armour.

Edit: By equip, i mean not just having the Armour, I mean to have the armour and select in battle to wear it.
Old 2013-02-05, 11:08   Link #389
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
I accept that, but there's one last point about Enhanced Armaments I want to clear. V3 says it's possible to set commands to equip or not equip armaments upon spawning. Thus, is it not possible to the Disaster, itself at heart an armament, to be set as initially unequipped? Especially since my story is basically already assuming Drake hid the armour.

Edit: By equip, i mean not just having the Armour, I mean to have the armour and select in battle to wear it.
The Disaster doesn't force itself upon the wearer. The wearer makes a conscious decision to accept the offer made by Beast: power for sanity (in the case of the 3rd, 4th and 5th ones anyway). After the first equip, Beast takes full control of the avatar, so the wearer wouldn't be able to set such a command for the Disaster.

You gotta rewrite that part of your story or it wouldn't be in continuity.
Old 2013-02-05, 11:53   Link #390
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Not full command, with sufficient willpower, the Armour can be controlled. You probably assumed all this Disasters were incapable of resisting it fully?

I mean, if Haru can do it, what's there to suggest that any other wearer with sufficiently strong will can partially, at least, override the lust for killing that Beast induces?
Old 2013-02-05, 17:55   Link #391
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
Not full command, with sufficient willpower, the Armour can be controlled. You probably assumed all this Disasters were incapable of resisting it fully?

I mean, if Haru can do it, what's there to suggest that any other wearer with sufficiently strong will can partially, at least, override the lust for killing that Beast induces?
Because the circumstances of Crow's infection was different from the others. While the others had the full armour equipped, Crow only had a small piece embedded in his back, so the extend of Beast's influence on his avatar is considerably lessened. Even if one found the enormous willpower required to have a little bit of control over his/her avatar, it definitely wouldn't have been enough to force it to unequip.
Old 2013-02-06, 02:45   Link #392
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Not to be hanging the towel or anything, but this discussion has been going on for long enough...

I'll concede the following points:

Drake put on the armour of her own will, while CDs 3 and 4 needed convincing.

Beast can interact with holders regardless of whether it is equipped or not.

Armour regrows itself from small fragments latched on or left onto the target avatar, possibly for infection.

The rest, I will handle. Thanks for the insights!
Old 2013-02-07, 14:42   Link #393
Sunder the Gold

I'd like to see some suggestions for equipment and abilities suitable to a Gold or Reddish Orange avatar based around Arisa Bannings, from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Arisa's fear is an insecurity about her own worth. Her parents are rich, owning and leading the Bannings corporation that she will inherit. While she is pretty, intelligent, and makes good grades, she still has doubts about her ability. But she fiercely wants to project an image of strength, and so denies anything she percieves as a weakness. Before she made friends with Suzuka, she singled out and bullied the quiet girl, probably to distract herself and others from Arisa's own self-esteem issues.

Projecting an image of strength, hiding weakness, not being as tough as she seems (while still being formidable) and going on the offensive as pro-active defense.

This is why I think she would be Gold or Reddish Orange or Orangish Red.
Old 2013-02-08, 04:06   Link #394
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

M&M candy: tough on the outside, soft on the inside?

Alternatively, might it produce a reddish metal colour?
Old 2013-02-08, 09:39   Link #395
Sunder the Gold

Copper is the only reddish metal I know about, but as a color, its properties are extremely hard to guess, there's no telling which of the "very specific disorders" give rise to that particular Metallic color, and it doesn't convey the same meaning as Gold.

Gold is (generally) the most precious of metals, but also one of the softest, heaviest and least practical for combat. The Gold Metallic color is likely to be vulnerable to all forms of "physical" damage while having resistance to most forms of "special damage". It is likely suited for ranged combat, direct or indirect or both.

Among Metallic colors, it is perfect for Arisa, especially because it matches her hair and fits her magical girl color scheme in Innocent.
Old 2013-02-10, 20:26   Link #396
Sunder the Gold

Burst Linker: Takamachi Nanoha

Duel Avatar: Dawn Star

"Dawn" refers to the pink shade seen in the morning sky. The whole name is a pun on Morning Star; a devil's name for the White Devil. Since she's too Red to be White, pink also makes a decent compromise. "Dawn" is also a refence to the warrior Caste of the Solar Exalted (from the table-top RPG), for which Nanoha would be an appropriate member.

Dawn Star is built very much like Scarlet Rain, but frillier. A long skirt and ribbons. (So, perhaps more like Orchid Oracle?)

Small, minimally armored, not much muscle-mass. Therefore, the avatar is frail, weak, slow. Good distance vision and hand/eye coordination, though.

Primary Initial Enhanced Armament: Raising Heart: A beam-type weapon, styled like a magical staff. As a beam-type weapon, it is prone to overheating, at which point it cannot function until it cools back down. However, since beam weapons are totally recoiless, Dawn Star can handle it properly despite lacking physical strength. As a staff, it makes a serviceable parrying and striking tool in a pinch, but Dawn's pitiful strength makes this a very desperate resort.

Initial Normal Attack: Divine Shooter: Rapid-fire, good range and speed, modest heat-type damage. Each individual shot produces little heat, but spamming fire will quickly overheat Raising Heart.

Initial Special Attack: Divine Buster: Requires 50% Special Meter. A massive beam of heat-type damage with excellent range. The beam can be sustained for a few seconds without spending additional Special Points, but doing so will surely overheat Raising Heart.

Secondary Initial Enhanced Armament: Flier Fin: Ankle-mounted wings which boost jumps and slow falls. Given how weak Dawn Star's legs are, this item is essential for having any reasonable mobility. It enables pouncing and descending strikes with Raising Heart that could possibly inflict non-neglible damage, but this is still a rather desperate tactic. It's wiser to use Flier Fin to create distance from enemies, especially to retreat to high, inaccessible places from which to snipe safely.

Potential Level Up Bonus Upgrades (with proposed levels)

(Level 2) Remote-Controlled Divine Shots: Nanoha can split her attention to guide her projectiles.

(Level 3) Flash Move: Boosts the jumping power of the Flier Fin for a higher cost.

(Level 3) Accel Spear: Raising Heart can generate a beam-type spear-tip.

(Level 4) Starlight Breaker: Dawn Star takes up a defenseless stance and spends a long time charging up a Divine Buster attack. Her Special Meter automatically fills without damage, even beyond its normal limit, gaining as many points as she or any other Duel Avatar within a certain radius have already spent. The more points gathered in this fashion, the more Raising Heart begins to overheat. The attack must be released before that point, though doing so generates only a slight amount of heat itself -- which is still generally the last straw for a total overheat. This attack drains her entire Special Meter completely.

(Level 5) Disposable Heatsink Cartridges: Visually similar to the compressed mana catridges of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, but functionally very different. These are not a trump-card to use for a brief power-up, but a resource that allows for heavier reliance on firepower right from the start. The cartridge reduces the heat caused by each individual attack, but in the event of total overheat, the cartridge must be ejected. Without a replacement, even after Raising Heart cools back down enough to use, attacks will generate the original amount of heat.

Possible Incarnate Skills

Flash Move

Restrict Lock -- Changes the Divine Shooter bullets so that they inflict no damage, but instead transform into binds on impact.

Accelion Buster? -- Nanoha learns how to Imagine the heat generated by her attacks away, storing that waste heat up so that she can bring it all forward again, channeled into a single beam attack.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2013-02-11 at 21:33.
Old 2013-02-12, 16:52   Link #397
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Burst Linker: Takamachi Nanoha

Duel Avatar: Dawn Star

"Dawn" refers to the pink shade seen in the morning sky. The whole name is a pun on Morning Star; a devil's name for the White Devil. Since she's too Red to be White, pink also makes a decent compromise. "Dawn" is also a refence to the warrior Caste of the Solar Exalted (from the table-top RPG), for which Nanoha would be an appropriate member.

Dawn Star is built very much like Scarlet Rain, but frillier. A long skirt and ribbons. (So, perhaps more like Orchid Oracle?)

Small, minimally armored, not much muscle-mass. Therefore, the avatar is frail, weak, slow. Good distance vision and hand/eye coordination, though.

Lol
Primary Initial Enhanced Armament: Raising Heart: A beam-type weapon, styled like a magical staff. As a beam-type weapon, it is prone to overheating, at which point it cannot function until it cools back down. However, since beam weapons are totally recoiless, Dawn Star can handle it properly despite lacking physical strength. As a staff, it makes a serviceable parrying and striking tool in a pinch, but Dawn's pitiful strength makes this a very desperate resort.

Initial Normal Attack: Divine Shooter: Rapid-fire, good range and speed, modest heat-type damage. Each individual shot produces little heat, but spamming fire will quickly overheat Raising Heart.

Initial Special Attack: Divine Buster: Requires 50% Special Meter. A massive beam of heat-type damage with excellent range. The beam can be sustained for a few seconds without spending additional Special Points, but doing so will surely overheat Raising Heart.

Secondary Initial Enhanced Armament: Flier Fin: Ankle-mounted wings which boost jumps and slow falls. Given how weak Dawn Star's legs are, this item is essential for having any reasonable mobility. It enables pouncing and descending strikes with Raising Heart that could possibly inflict non-neglible damage, but this is still a rather desperate tactic. It's wiser to use Flier Fin to create distance from enemies, especially to retreat to high, inaccessible places from which to snipe safely.

Potential Level Up Bonus Upgrades (with proposed levels)

(Level 2) Remote-Controlled Divine Shots: Nanoha can split her attention to guide her projectiles.

(Level 3) Flash Move: Boosts the jumping power of the Flier Fin for a higher cost.

(Level 3) Accel Spear: Raising Heart can generate a beam-type spear-tip.

(Level 4) Starlight Breaker: Dawn Star takes up a defenseless stance and spends a long time charging up a Divine Buster attack. Her Special Meter automatically fills without damage, even beyond its normal limit, gaining as many points as she or any other Duel Avatar within a certain radius have already spent. The more points gathered in this fashion, the more Raising Heart begins to overheat. The attack must be released before that point, though doing so generates only a slight amount of heat itself -- which is still generally the last straw for a total overheat. This attack drains her entire Special Meter completely.

(Level 5) Disposable Heatsink Cartridges: Visually similar to the compressed mana catridges of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, but functionally very different. These are not a trump-card to use for a brief power-up, but a resource that allows for heavier reliance on firepower right from the start. The cartridge reduces the heat caused by each individual attack, but in the event of total overheat, the cartridge must be ejected. Without a replacement, even after Raising Heart cools back down enough to use, attacks will generate the original amount of heat.

Possible Incarnate Skills

Flash Move

Restrict Lock -- Changes the Divine Shooter bullets so that they inflict no damage, but instead transform into binds on impact.

Accelion Buster? -- Nanoha learns how to Imagine the heat generated by her attacks away, storing that waste heat up so that she can bring it all forward again, channeled into a single beam attack.
Lol, I would expect White Devil to be the name of the avatar. xD

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2013-02-12, 17:25   Link #398
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Well, we still don't know what white stands for, and, Devil? White Mahou Shoujo is a more accurate description but that's three words.
Old 2013-02-12, 18:15   Link #399
Sunder the Gold

Like I said, Nanoha is too Red to be White. Not enough indirect or close-combat ability; she's all about Direct Long-Range attacks.

Now, Hayate could be White. As Snow Woman, she could have attacks which are equally direct and indirect; blizzards that slash enemies with shards of ice while also freezing them in place with frost. An intersection of Purple and Yellow that ends up as Whitish.

I've come up with no less than four possible avatars for Yuuno, and I'm still struggling to find the best fit. The canonical character, Bush Utan, may or may not already have one of those models.

Fate's even trickier, especially as her backstory is the hardest to translate into Accel World's version of "normal life". And forget including Arf!

Suzuka's easy. I'm just going with the idea that Accel World, like Triangle Hearts, has vampires. Suzuka's avatar is midnight blue, with rending claws and HP-draining fangs. The avatar expresses her vampiric instincts (allowed to run wild in the deathless world of Brain Burst) and her own passion for athletic sport.

Her special ability may be hypnotizing/drugging anyone she bites so that they feel good and can't quite remember why they ought to be struggling free.

Or maybe it's a blood rage.
Old 2013-02-12, 18:40   Link #400
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

If only to assist your avatar design, Gold, purple and yellow make brown...a primary and secondary colour combined making this tertiary colour. If Chocolat Puppeteer is anything to go by, it'll result in special attacks with...some affinity towards range. Brown is either low saturated orange, or purple and yellow.
Closed Thread

Tags
discussion, fanfiction