AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-02, 18:10   Link #1
Crunchy_

Romance Animes

I'm looking for a good romance anime, I prefer serious romance animes but some with comedy/ecchi is ok too. I really love Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, so I'm looking for some anime in that direction.

Hope you can suggest me some titles, thanks in advance
Old 2006-06-02, 18:53   Link #2
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy_
I'm looking for a good romance anime, I prefer serious romance animes but some with comedy/ecchi is ok too. I really love Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, so I'm looking for some anime in that direction.

Hope you can suggest me some titles, thanks in advance
So you serious Romance.

Brother Dear Brother.

A older and more mature ver of Marmite. And better music too.
Old 2006-06-02, 19:55   Link #3
Furudanuki

Two series to recommend for drama/romance:

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - This six episode series is about Yuuchi, a high school boy who is in the hospital recovering from a hepatitis infection, and Rika, a girl who is also a patient in the hospital.

Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu - Another six episode series. The story is about Asaba, a reporter for his school's press club, and Iriya, a mysterious girl who he meets on the last night of summer vacation.

Two more with not so much drama:

Lamune - Very sweet romance with strong emphasis on character study, and tightly focused on the main couple and how their relationship impacts those around them. This series is a personal favorite of mine, but it is not for everyone - it's a slice-of-life style anime that moves at a very relaxed pace and the romantic pairing is never in doubt, so I do not recommend it if you want a lot of action or a "who is he/she going to choose?" plot.

Natsuiro no Sunadokei - This one is a short, two-episode series that mixes time travel and romance. Interesting story line and pretty animation, plus features an amazing VA cast. Bit of advice: if you dislike harem anime, do not let all the girls shown in the opening fool you into thinking this show will be one; there is only a single love interest.

All of these series are listed on AnimeSuki.

Last edited by Furudanuki; 2006-06-02 at 20:15.
Old 2006-06-02, 21:06   Link #4
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I've been looking for similar kinds of romance anime, so I think I could help you out here.

First off the bat, Suzuka is a great pick for a recent (more or less) serious romance. It starts when Akitsuki Yamato sees a girl do high jumps and falls in love with her at first sight. This girl is Asahina Suzuka. The problem is, he does a lot of mistakes that get this Suzuka to dislike him, but how their relationship develops despite Suzuka's nAch (need to achieve) and caustic personality and Yamato's indecisiveness is a great pleasure to watch. If one adds to that a cast of unique friends and individuals, Suzuka is really fun. Mix that with track-and-field, and you have something classic.

Be warned, however, that this show doesn't have a great budget. The animation sucks to a degree, and the character design does, also. What's great about this series is its story and its OST, as well as its character development and the psychology dealing with these said characters. A great watch, IMO.

Next off is Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Despite not being an anime centered on love, the relationship between Shiki and Arcueid is simply the price of admission and what I declare the best romance in anime. What's better here is that despite the fantasy, the vampire stereotype is broken - Arcueid is 'human' in this series, she feels anger, happiness, hatred and jealousy. How she relates with Shiki and how their relationship is ultimately tragic shows how much she has improved within the series.

This is another one of those shows next to Lamune where I feel that the hero and heroine are not asses. For example, in Suzuka, whereas it's fun to watch the relationship between Suzuka and Yamato, sometimes it just irks me to watch them being jackasses and dumbasses. *sigh*

In Tsukihime, although Shiki started up as a weakling, the character development shows that by the end, he becomes a stud. He's willing to die for the woman he loves, and despite how impossible their relationship may seem he sees through with it and hopes that something good could happen. Hopefully, someday.

The romantic tension between the main characters of Elfen Lied culminate beautifully as well. Despite not being in the romance genre itself, how it culminates makes you re-live all the anguish, all the pain in the past and allows you to throw it away for love. It sounds sappy, but is excruciatingly sweet when viewed.

You could also try classics like Hiatari Ryoukou, with somewhat more or less a similar story to Suzuka, H2 or Touch.These all deal with sports-themed romance, and despite being old, are well-made at that.

Maison Ikkoku, by the way, is the starting point of all serious romantic anime there are or has been. It talks about the relationship between a newly-widowed young lady and an aspiring college student. In the span of 96 episodes, the beauty, the fun, and the pain revolving around these main characters make it a classic to watch. It's among the best romantic anime there are (from what I've heard). I hope I could watch it someday.

I also seek for some recommendations. Keep on shooting 'em.
Old 2006-06-02, 22:02   Link #5
i am the walrus

pardise kiss is a good romance anime. although i like the manga better. but it really does have a good story. and it's not your typical love story either. uhmm peach girl is all about the crazy drama. it gets you hooked. at least in my opinion.
Old 2006-06-02, 22:42   Link #6
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I think you're mentioning Paradise Kiss.
Old 2006-06-03, 04:27   Link #7
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Why dont you Try

-Love Hina.

-Midori No Hibi Well its more of Comedy than Rommance, but still Midori likes Seji-kun Alot . And its a really funny anime. If you havent seen it, its a must see.

-Ah My Goddess Its a funny romance anime. Bellandy's complete honesty ( and clueless ness) make it a unique kind of anime. I liked it.

Preaty much it. Others have allready mentioned the other good romance anime.
Old 2006-06-04, 03:50   Link #8
Diabl01811

may be u should try I"s Pure, it just out first 4 episode and i think i quite good with romantic story ..., and if u dont mind yuri , Trawberry Panic also good =D
Old 2006-06-04, 05:42   Link #9
saznami

I don't know if you would class this as a romance anime but Koi kaze was brilliant. I'd recommend to anyone unless they don't like it after the first episode.
Old 2006-06-04, 09:05   Link #10
Dnous
wut

Hmm you can also try Peach Girl. Its a shoujo anime but its damn good .
Old 2006-06-23, 18:25   Link #11
MamoruUsagi

Romance manga is better than anime.

Bokura ga Ita
Kare First Love
Happy Hustle High
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Sensual Phrase
Mars
Ceres Celestial Legend
Kare Kano
Marmalade Boy
Peach Girl
Fushigi Yugi
Absolute Boyfriend
Paradise Kiss
Kare First Love
The Devil Does Exist
Mars
Punch!
High School Debut
Missile Happy!
Wild Act
Akuma De Sourou
Ultra Maniac
The Devil Does Exist
Sand Chronicles
B.O.D.Y
His and Her Circumstances
Doubt!!
Akuma De Sourou
Ultra Cute
Land of the Blindfolded
Snow Drop
Kare First Love

Bokura ga Ita

Marmalade Boy

Fushigi Yuugi

Ceres Celestial Legend

Mars

Happy Hustle High

Kare First Love

Sailor Moon

Peach Girl

The Devil Does Exist

Punch!

Fushigi Yugi

Sensual Phrase

Paradise Kiss

His and Her Circumstances

Absolute Boyfriend

Kare Kano

Fushigi Yuugi is a great romance manga. Fushigi Yugi has 18 volumes and is so romantic.

Sailor Moon has 200 anime episodes and 18 manga volumes and the live action series. I've seen all episodes in the anime and the live action series and read all the manga volumes and have been a fan since 1995. It has the best love story. The main couple gets married and have a romance with 200 episodes of the anime, 18 volumes of the manga and the live action series. All versions are great. I love Tuxedo Mask.

Ayashi no Ceres is a great manga. The anime changes everything.

Marmalade Boy is a great series.

Peach Girl is a series everyone can relate to.

Kare First Love

Absolute Boyfriend

Mars

Happy Hustle High

Bokura ga Ita

Fushigi Yugi

The Devil Does Exist

High School Debut

Absolute Boyfriend

Fushigi Yuugi

Missile Happy!

Wild Act

Akuma De Sourou

Ultra Cute

are also great romantic manga.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2009-10-23 at 23:59.
Old 2006-06-24, 19:29   Link #12
ark12

Natsuiro no Sunadokei is a short OVA romance ( 2 episodes) that is quite good

I''s the new OVA (note the NEW one not the old) is following the manga and is a good romance title

Ai Yori Aoshi is also a good romance title to boot
Old 2006-06-24, 20:16   Link #13
LCeh

Ai Yori Aoshi had a very strong start imo. The first few eps were exceptionally well done, one of the best I have ever seen, but then things died down after more and more side characters got involved. There wasn't much character development afterwards imo, and the plot became stagnant.

Hmmm, serious romance anime, I would recommend Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, I"s manga, probably Elfen Lied as well, and almost forgot, Onegai Teacher.

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette has a very weird plot, I had no clue what was going on most of the time, but it's still worth it. Amazing cinematography, great music, everything is very very good. Highly recommend it to anyone who haven't seen it.

I"s manga is pretty good as well. It's quite realistic, and I felt most of the time the plot was not bad.

Physics already explained Elfen Lied, so I will skip it.

Onegai Teacher is another pretty good one. I didn't like it as much as some others, but it's still much better than your average harem anime.
Old 2006-06-24, 20:47   Link #14
ImClueless
Rawr

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou aka KareKano aka His and Her Circumstances.

A bit older and licenced I believe, but very good. Finishes a bit weak though since at the ending of the series the manga had not finished yet. Stupid Gainax go back and cover the rest of the manga!

Second Koi Kaze for a "serious" romance anime. However, the relationship between the protagonists is VERY taboo. Many people cannot watch this series for that reason, but if you just evaluate the show on merit alone it is very well done.
Old 2006-06-25, 16:36   Link #15
Theowne
耳をすませば

On the non-depressing side, if you can ignore the fanservice, Love Hina is a surprisingly nice romantic/comedy series and manga that will last (I usually despise that genre). Ai Yori Aoshi is alright and onegai teacher is decent as well, though I wouldn't reccomend the two.

Onto the serious ones, Koi Kaze is kind of heavy, you might not find the subject matter all too appealing. ELfen Lied also has romance but it also has many other elements, it's more of an anime with romance then a romance anime. I'll also reccomend Saikano. It can get a bit melodramatic at times but it still a pretty powerful story.
Old 2006-06-25, 18:05   Link #16
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Well ...

Honey and Clover
is among the best romance series I've seen. It contains bits of comedy but often is a bittersweet view on life and love between six friends. This coming Thursday, the second season will start, continuing the beautiful first season.
Old 2006-06-26, 09:25   Link #17
mastermind

Send a message via AIM to mastermind
I second physics223's suggestion of Suzuka! It's almost as great as Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien.

Other suggestions are:

1. Please Teacher! (seen this one first...)
2. Please Twins (but still prefer twins more)
3. His and Her Circumstances
4. Fruits Basket
Old 2006-06-26, 11:56   Link #18
Cyz
"Show it to me"

recommending...

strawberry panic: sure it was yuri but it has romance on it. has a little comedy but it's more on the serious stuffs.

oh my goddess: another excellent romance anime. i suggest watching all of them (2 season tv series, the movie, and the ova)

air: has a depressing story and it's heart crushing anime (meaning, it was that intense). the story is excellent and the characters are well designed. i suggest watching all of them too (series, movie, and the summer special)

girls bravo: if you want comedy/ecchi then this i recommend.

ufo ultramaiden/princess valkyrie: good anime romance. has comedy/ecchi on it. watched all three season btw.

inuyasha: romance and action and also a dose of magic and mystical stuffs set in feudal japan.

good witch of the west: this anime is more like a fairy tale IMO. the anime has romance too with mix of fantasy and reality i think. i recommend this b/c it was really good
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-06-26, 22:00   Link #19
andromeda0201

I would like to recommend Full Moon wo Sagashite, it starts out a bit slow and random but keep going and you'll see a big turn in events! oh and the songs are great as well
Old 2006-06-28, 00:38   Link #20
shadowlord_756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz
[font=comic sans ms]
air: has a depressing story and it's heart crushing anime (meaning, it was that intense). the story is excellent and the characters are well designed. i suggest watching all of them too (series, movie, and the summer special)
font]
Make sure you have some anti-depressants ready after youw atch that show
If you like it, also try kanon. I heard they're remaking a new version of it somewhere.

Also chobits is not as serious but try it out anyways XD
Closed Thread