Notices

Old 2008-05-26, 00:51   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Tag Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
As relentlessflame hinted in a previous post, we are looking at this as a possibility. Currently, the favoured approach under consideration is a new user group with the ability to moderate tags; controlled by staff but with a different (potentially more inclusive) selection criteria, than the site or forum staff groups. This may or may not include allowing users to tag threads they create.
I look forward to having a large "tag team" as relentlessflame has dubbed the proposal. Ideally there would be many members in it with a closed social group where they can discuss the tags they use and projects for hunting out threads that would be interesting to group together. (Much as folks are already implementing on this thread with tags like harem and game patch.) I suppose we should create a separate thread for folks to give feedback about tags since I'm sure they have some distinct issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE View Post
Again, what is the point of having tags, then? If you are only going to allow certain people to tag posts that kinda defeats the purpose of the feature. If you are going to moderate them heavily its probably best to just not have them at all.
The purpose is for them to be a guided search. You could just glance over the list and with a single click show all threads containing harem themes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-05-26 at 02:56.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 01:30   Link #2
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Lightbulb Tag Discussion

I object to people labelling Kanokon, Ookami to Koushinrou and others as 'furry'. They should be properly labelled with kitsune/fox, ookami/wolf and maybe a generic 'kemonomimi' tag. Furries and kemonomimis are different. This tag system saddens me.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 02:06   Link #3
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I object to people labelling Kanokon, Ookami to Koushinrou and others as 'furry'. They should be properly labelled with kitsune/fox, ookami/wolf and maybe a generic 'kemonomimi' tag. Furries and kemonomimis are different. This tag system saddens me.
Naturally. After all, there is no way that anything could possibly make EVERYone happy. I'm sorry that you're on the less happy side of the line.

I'll just say that tags are only useful when they serve as categories. Honing them too closely to a specific show ruins their usefulness. Conseuntly, tagging a thread with a specific animal will not serve. On the other hand, kemonomini is a good tag and much more related to anime than furry.

I might consider taking all animal tags and changing them to kemonomimi once we've seen how things start to settle out.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-05-26, 02:14   Link #4
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'd be happy to run around tagging tons of series kemonomimi if it can be recognised as 'official' to replace furry. I have quite the list and it wouldn't take long to dig up old threads. ^^
Old 2008-05-26, 02:20   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I also support the creation of a private group (aka "tag team") to monitor or otherwise discuss tags. The problem is it would add even more work to the moderators, and I'm probably not qualified to volunteer due to lack of credentials.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 02:30   Link #6
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

If tags are to be useful and not end up being filled with nonsense then yeah, they're definitely going to have to be moderated, and it will be necessary to discuss what sort of tags to use. ie 'adult' or 'hentai' and 'kemonomimi' vs. 'furry' as two examples. I hope to see a team made for it so that they can actually be useful.
Old 2008-05-26, 02:45   Link #7
NeoSam

That would be great if there was a team for moderating tags

Someone tagged Wagaya no Oinari-sama with a character name (Sakura Misaki):
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=55603

What's the use of tagging with a name of a character from the show, its not going to appear in other shows
Old 2008-05-26, 02:56   Link #8
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
That would be great if there was a team for moderating tags

What's the use of tagging with a name of a character from the show, its not going to appear in other shows
I noticed that, it made me boggle. Character names seem quite redundant as a tag, unless they're crossover chars (Such as Yuuko in xxxHolic and Tsubasa) but even then, I don't think they're necessary. (CLAMP tag would do for their stories.)

Tags should be limited to genre, studio and perhaps licensing companies. Authors might be a good idea too. But again, all of this is why there should be discussion about it and a dedicated team.

I also just thought, with tags for studios etc, some people may want to tag OP/ED artists for series so they can find all series where say, Kotoko has done an OP or ED. That kind of thing may be nifty. I digress, though, such discussion is best in its own thread.
Old 2008-05-26, 03:03   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I digress, though, such discussion is best in its own thread.
Good point. It now has its own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
I removed that stupidity. This kind of thing is a strong argument for the "Tag Team."

Old 2008-05-26, 03:10   Link #10
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I removed that stupidity. This kind of thing is a strong argument for the "Tag Team."
Yay, dedicated thread!

I'd hope there's a way to identify people who add tags, so that those who repeatedly add stupid ones can have the privilege taken away. (it's bound to happen.) and there should probably be some ground rules/FAQ drafted up as to what are appropriate tags, as I said above, author, studios, licensing, OP/ED artists are all possible candidates.

Then genres, but genre itself can be quite tricky at times. And do things like 'kemonomimi' count as a genre? It's a broad enough element in quite a few series to warrant its own tag (especially this year with OtK, Kanokon, Wagaya, Kyouran to name a few) if so, then we may have to add other common elements like 'sudden girlfriend' (well, name debatable, but I've seen that tag used for series like AMG, Chobits, DearS etc) which really does open a large can of worms.

Which is why a team of taggers would be great. I nominate NeoSam for one since he's on the ball with new releases and starts a lot of threads for series, so he can add tags with the very first post!
Old 2008-05-26, 03:14   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Kemonomimi does not count as a genre, but it is a feature of anime that attracts many fans, so it is the sort of thing that might be good to group together. I'm sure many people would be glad for the ability to see a full list of kemonomimi threads with a single click.

If anyone wants to start tagging kemonomimi, I'd approve of it. Eventually, we'd get those other silly related tags (like yiff) removed since excessive tagging is not a good thing.

Maybe we ought to spell it kemonono-mimi since that makes its meaning clearer for folks who are less familiar with the term, but have heard of nekomimi.

Old 2008-05-26, 03:15   Link #12
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It seems that there would be many things to discuss. The most obviously ones right now are OP/ED artists and voice actors. Is it really needed to put KOTOKO on every anime thread that she sings for? Would someone actually want to find all series featuring Aya Hirano? Right now studios, genres, and demographics (maybe, disputable) are possible candidates to me.

EDIT: I'm not against artist/VAs, but just really throwing the questions out there. I actually don't mind it, except for anime like Naruto/Bleach with might have lots of tags for artists.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 03:21   Link #13
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Hmm, in the case of series with their own sub-forum, which threads should be tagged? I tagged Spice and Wolf Generic discussion, but Utawarerumono doesn't actually have a thread labelled generic/general discussion, so I did http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=27496&page=24 but it's an old thread. I don't think tagging episode threads or music discussion is really appropriate or it'll clog up tag searches. Q&A in Utaware is stickied, so maybe that one, too? Opinions?
Old 2008-05-26, 03:26   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well, I think tagging show titles might be acceptable in cases where there isn't a sub forum, for example Blue Drop. Character names I think might be something more difficult but there might be circumstances where the characters are reused but the series is titled differently (Clannad and Tomoya After). There's also instances where titles of series vary, like Melty Blood versus Tsukihime. And there's also the possibility of linking artists or production groups for places like the Manga forum (CLAMP, BONES, Akihito Yoshitomi, Tite Kubo),

I'm curious about general discussion forums though, how would tags be handled in places like Suggestions, Fan Creations, General Anime, General Discussion, etc.? What kind of tag would be given to something like "Rate that Signature" or "Who is the lamest male character?" How generic or specific should the tags be?
Old 2008-05-26, 03:28   Link #15
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Stupid tags I'm busy deleting: la'cryma, ninjin loves, outercadia...

Also, "awesomeness" may be someone's opinion of a show, but isn't a tag. If we allowed it, someone would believe it belongs to every show in our forum. Deleted.

Old 2008-05-26, 03:29   Link #16
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Someone put "Enka" and "Kyouka-sama" into the tags. >_>
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=58275

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 03:32   Link #17
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
From what I understand of how the Slashdot tagging system works, you either need to have many people tag an article the same way for the tag to appear, or an absurd amount of karma in order to get it accepted in one go. If it could be implemented, a system where at least two different members should have to tag it the same way in order for the tag to finally appear on the thread could solve the single-sided vandalism (such as the ones NSW just deleted).

Also, at some point Slashdot's tagging system became much more restrictive and silly tags ("yes", "no", "donttasemebro") started to appear less and less, so you could mail CmdrTaco and ask him how did he solve the issue.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-26, 03:41   Link #18
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Let's assume that "tagging by author" becomes some sort of policy. It would result in every thread of the Bleach forum getting the same tag. And every thread of the Naturo forum would get another tag. In this case it would be better, if the (sub)forum as a whole could get the tag, and someone, who searches for this tag just gets the whole forum as a result.
Yeah, which is what my previous question addressed. Series with their own forum have a lot of threads (especially epic series like Naruto, Bleach and OP, and franchises like Nanoha) which will be quite tedious to tag, so there should be a way to tag the subforum, or a standard made of which thread(s) to tag in them (ie general discussion, Q&A type major threads.)
Old 2008-05-26, 03:42   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

My opinion is that tagging by author or studio is not a good thing. That's the sort of information that you should look up on ANN if you want to know it. I don't believe it should be a tag. Lots of threads are tagged by studio now, but I'm not going to start deleting those wholesale until we have discussed the prospect.

TSO: You cannot tag forums or posts. Only threads.

Old 2008-05-26, 03:42   Link #20
NeoSam

Ooh I was nominated to be on the tag team thanks Ichihara Asako

Can anyone answer this question that I asked in the "Forum Upgrade - Version 3.7.0" thread:

Quote:
A different question >.<

What about those anime threads that are based on light novels, but don't have a thread for the light novels, should I also add the light novels tag to them too?
I would like to tag them with the "light novels" tag, that's why I'm asking

Tags
feedback, forum upgrade, tags