AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-12, 18:40   Link #1221
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
There is something of a confusion regarding that part, since most times it seems that "worlds" don't refer to the dimensions in which said places reside in, but rather the planets themselves - which wouldn't be much different than like how Star Trek or any other interstellar sci-fi setting deals with such matters. IMHO "worlds" are different from "universes", and that at times many of the former can be found in a single one of the latter.
And yet this creates a confusion that may make one think that everything takes place in the same world. I prefer the word dimension myself.
Old 2009-04-13, 04:05   Link #1222
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I see "Dimensional Space" in Nanoverse as their own type of techbabble, namely like a highway. It works the same way as hyperspace in that you travel extremely fast and can drop out at random, but compared to hyperspace, in this you can both attack, exit the ship or put bases. It takes some time to enter, takes some time to exit.

I also see the universes as dimensions. The universe Mid-Childa is in, is as big as the one Earth is in, but seperate, hence making them 2 dimensions. Of course, this is mindbreakingly big. I guess that to reach another planet in the same universe you exit at a certain point at a certain speed and for any other dimension/universe, at a different point at a different speed...the ships do the calculations.

That's how I see it anyway and it works for me

Old 2009-04-13, 08:13   Link #1223
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Dimensional space is subspace.

We are in a 3 dimensional universe, but according to various theories, the String Theory for example, we are suspended in the 4rd layer of 11 dimensions. 0th dimension being time, 1, 2, 3 dimensions, so we are the 4th dimension.

Up to the 11 dimensional layers or planes, they are all suspended in 'dimensional' space. That dimensional space is subspace, it is the space in between dimensions, sub dimensional space. The theory is that you may be able to get from one point of the 3rd dimension to another through a short cut that is the '2.5' dimension.

Imagine a cube and you're travelling on the surface, the fastest way to get from one side to the opposite side, is through the cube itself, that is the 'subspace' of the cube.

The difference between dimensions and universes can be seen with my example of the String Theory.

Our universe has 11 dimensions. There are many universes, each having a number of dimensions.

Can you perceive a 5 dimensional object? Most likely not, because we are designed to observe 3 dimensions and less. Can we perceive 2 dimensions? Yes, probably, anime is 2D. But can we interact in a 2D universe? Most likely our 3 dimensional form cannot fit the 'flatness' of a 2 dimensional world.

So can we travel from one dimension to another dimension? Most likely we can't.

But can we travel from one universe to another? Yes maybe, we can travel from one universe to another universe. And universes are suspended in the multiverse in matrix or parallel form, and between each universe is also 'subspace', the space between the space of universes.

Not sure how many of you understand that. But generally its saying what is subspace and differentiates dimensions and universes.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-13, 08:14   Link #1224
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Hence why I don't use "dimensions" when referring to alternate universes.

It'd be kind of funky to imagine how Nanoha and co. would react if they suddenly found themselves in a 2D Universe ala Flatland...

(Well technically they are 2D, but I digress >.> )

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-13, 08:15   Link #1225
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Hence why I don't use "dimensions" when referring to alternate universes.

It'd be kind of funky to imagine how Nanoha and co. would react if they suddenly found themselves in a 2D Universe ala Flatland...

You're quick to understand, I guess we SRW players are very familiar with dimensional and multiversal theories lol

Old 2009-04-13, 08:18   Link #1226
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You're quick to understand, I guess we SRW players are very familiar with dimensional and multiversal theories lol
Multiple universes being a favorite of mine, can't resist reading up on material relating to such matters (especially my favorite book, "The Elegant Universe" by Micheal Greene )

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2009-04-13, 08:23   Link #1227
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've only read Elegant Universe in the bookshop for a while lol

My favourite books of similar subject are Hawking's books, also read in the bookshop

Maybe I'll visit a library sometime, those books are a little expensive for a little hobby lol

Old 2009-04-13, 08:26   Link #1228
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

The Elegant Universe is an awesome read, you should also try "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by the same author, which gives one even more ideas one how to portray and understand space-time and dimensions (which would be essential in understanding a storyverse whose central organization is called the Time-Space Administration Bureau >.> )

Old 2009-04-13, 09:03   Link #1229
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I think we should move this to the tech thread by now. We're far from actually answering questions and down to theorizing. <_<
Old 2009-04-13, 20:05   Link #1230
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

How many people has Nanoha actually "befriended"? I just realized a few days ago that I could actually only count two: Fate and Dieci.

(Arf switched sides on her own; the Wolkenritter never actually had a conclusive battle with Nanoha because the Leizes kept interfering; Reinforce was converted by Hayate; Vivio was already Nanoha's adopted daughter and only fought her because of Quattro's invocation of Ancient Belkan Total Mind Control--indeed, by the time the alleged befriending occurred, Vivio was actually begging Nanoha to rescue her; Quattro stayed evil after her beat-down; and if you count Teana then Signum had to pop her again even after Nanoha laid her out before Tia got her head screwed on straight.)

Am I missing anybody?
Old 2009-04-13, 21:20   Link #1231
Jimmy C

There's Arisa back in Nanoha's first-grade.
Old 2009-04-14, 11:46   Link #1232
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
There's Arisa back in Nanoha's first-grade.
Ahhh, good one. Kind of a proto-befriending since Arisa didn't get knocked silly but it introduces the trope well (actually, it's a nice piece of foreshadowing for what happens to Fate and well as explaining some of why she doesn't just haul off and zap Fate as an enemy instead of always trying to talk with her, if you think about it, since it shows that Nanoha's character is consistent over time).
Old 2009-04-14, 11:52   Link #1233
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Regarding who Nanoha befriended, risingstar3110 conveniently made a repost of this famous pic in the image thread which explains all:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f.../lovegauge.jpg

Old 2009-04-19, 07:42   Link #1234
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I know I should've saved the Numbers' ID Cards, but either I forgot or misplaced them...

...and so here's my question: When was Uno constructed as stated on the card? And Deed?
Old 2009-04-19, 07:51   Link #1235
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Uno: Spring MC 0051
Due: Spring MC 0052
Tre: Summer MC 0055
Quattro: Autumn MC 0061
Cinque: Winter MC 0060
Sein: Spring MC 0061
Sette: Summer MC 0075
Otto: Summer MC 0075
Nove: Summer MC 0069
Dieci: Spring MC 0051
Wendi: Spring MC 0051
Deed: Summer MC 0075

It should be noted that the numbers of their names state when their production started, not when it finished. Hence why for example Nove was 'born' much earlier then Sette, despite Sette being a lower number.
Old 2009-04-19, 08:36   Link #1236
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Looks like I made quite the close call with the dates. Thanks this clarifies things. Now to iron out other kinks in Trieze's origins...
Old 2009-04-20, 04:32   Link #1237
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

It's me again! Now there's apparrently this 3 class of skills called Inherent Abilities, and Subaru's Wing Road is classed under it.

What's an Inherent Ability? What do we know about Rare Skills and Inherent Skills? Can we conclude how different an IA is from an IS/RS?
Old 2009-04-20, 09:15   Link #1238
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

You sure this isn't just a translation error, Kha?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2009-04-20, 12:14   Link #1239
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Selkirk says otherwise...
Old 2009-04-20, 23:35   Link #1240
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
You sure this isn't just a translation error, Kha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Selkirk says otherwise...
Allow me to elaborate. I asked Selkirk to confirm that [Wing Road] is indeed an IS as stated on this page.
Spoiler for Borrowing a Keroko's IS: Silver Retriver:
The answer I got from Selkirk is that that was a translation error. It is not suppose to be Inherent Skill but Inherent Ability instead. I asked again to confirm and Selkirk said the characters there are not the same as the ones for Inherent Skill... See the problem now?
Closed Thread