AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-16, 03:39   Link #1
tyciol
*Artist

鉄腕アトム Tetsuwan Atomu: Iron Arm Atom (aka Astro Boy) 1959/60s/80s/2003 animes + films

Tetsuwan Atom didn't come up when I looked for topics with this name so I thought it would be cool to create one. When reading about the 'Astro Boy' series, surely some of this has been licensed in the past, but when I found out there were 4 series in total, it made me wonder: are they all licensed? Or are there some things missed out on, or perhaps licensed so long ago that it expired by now?

This can be a discussion thread for talking about the series and clarifying these subtleties as well as an opportunity for those who have seen it to review their views on it.

The 1959 series (pics here) is one in particular that sounds interesting. Apparently it was a live TV drama. I know animesuki does not normally host dramas but it could definitely be one of those interesting exceptions.

The 1963-66 series has 193 episodes. Apparently only 104 of them were adapted into english. If it's not possible to subtitle the dubbed ones, it makes me wonder, are there untranslated ones that could be done?

The 2nd series, Shin Tetsuwan Atomu ran from 1980-83 and this remake had 52 episodes

The 3rd series Astro Boy: Mighty Atom aired from 2003 to 2004 and it had 50 episodes.

It also spawned a 2005 film.

Last but not least is the 2009 cgi:

Astro Boy is notable since it ties into other works popular enough to get anime by Osamu Tezuka like Black Jack.

So just to recap: is the status for all 4 series that they are licensed?

Last edited by tyciol; 2011-11-13 at 00:20.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote