AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-27, 12:20   Link #1121
Tenzen12

I think anime could do more about this fight. It wouldn't be that hard having spellcasters hide behind pillar or rocks while casting for example, but overall episode felt right.

I like it.
Old 2018-10-27, 12:26   Link #1122
Eclar
Avid reader

So far I like how they portrayed the fight. There are still some things to say about some parts, like why the Priestess was able to cast a 4th miracle (in the novel they explain that) or the part where GS pulled the scroll, but overall I'm okay with the episode.
Old 2018-10-27, 12:31   Link #1123
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclar View Post
So far I like how they portrayed the fight. There are still some things to say about some parts, like why the Priestess was able to cast a 4th miracle (in the novel they explain that) or the part where GS pulled the scroll, but overall I'm okay with the episode.
honestly, it feels like a miracle they have given more than 3 or 4 episodes to adapt a single book in the series.

ps: The demand for the series went up in the amazon after this episode.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 12:38   Link #1124
Sixth
Hu Tao

The massacre of goblin in this episode is brutal. They died without knowing a single thing.

GS may not have the "miracle" but he definitely has enough "brain" not to get overshadowed by "miracle" users. Truly a medieval Batman.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 12:53   Link #1125
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

GS proved how resourceful he is once again. He's the one who came up with the idea to combine the Priestess and the Dwarf's spells so they could easily slaughter the Goblins in their sleep with zero risk, and he turned a simple transfer spell into a highly lethal and destructive one. His preparation was also key to their success. Without that scroll, they would have been pretty screwed.

The Lizard and the Dwarf didn't stand out too much compared to the Elf this week. She had to face the real harshness of this world for the first time in her life. Like the Priestess before her, she turned out to be strong willed. She never gave up even after seeing what could possibly await her if things went wrong.

Priestess was cool this week. They would have literally been toast without her. This episode made her look better than the new three silver ranked adventurer who were all completely useless against the Ogre. Just how strong was the Ogre supposed to be by the way?
Old 2018-10-27, 13:03   Link #1126
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Priestess was cool this week. They would have literally been toast without her. This episode made her look better than the new three silver ranked adventurer who were all completely useless against the Ogre. Just how strong was the Ogre supposed to be by the way?
There isn't really any exact "power level" description for the Ogre, but the LN and manga describe the ogre as follow:
Quote:
They said a knight with a sturdy shield died when she tried to block an ogre's attack, only to find her own shield buried in her head.
They said a great warrior had challenged an ogre to a hundred-day battle, but that the monster never took a scratch, and after months of combat, the warrior fell exhausted.
They said a wizard who knew a great many spells had tried to match wits with an ogre but was burned to death when it turned out the ogre knew even more spells than she did.

Suffice to say, ogres were stiff opponents even for those of Silver rank. A porcelain rank, they might just squish them like a bug.
It is fair to say that a full Silver rank party is required to deal with an ogre, and they can range to gold rank. The fact the ogre casted such huge fireball (in d&d, a fireball has only a 6 meter / 20 foot range radius, but this one was definitely around 10-15 meters since they had nowhere to run from it) does imply he is around gold rank, moreso since he is under the direct orders of a Demon General.
Also, while the anime didn't make it obvious, his skin is really resistant. Even if GS sword isn't exactly great, Lizardman's claw sword is described as an incredibly sharp and durable blade, but couldn't really deal any damage to the ogre. The lizardman himself concluded the Ogre had "slashing resistance".

So yeah, GS party pretty much ran into a very high level end boss.
Old 2018-10-27, 13:28   Link #1127
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

hmm, a little faster than i thought they'd do it, but we're moving a long nicely. next ep should be a nice break. this ep is great because it shows priestess isn't just extra baggage.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 13:31   Link #1128
Magewolf

From the color, regeneration, and magic I guess that was supposed to be an Ogre Mage but he should have been casting cone of cold instead of fireball.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 14:01   Link #1129
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Kinda sucks when you meet a boss who is strong at close combat and has OP magic.

Sometimes I forget how dangerous can water be when used properly.

And at the end to Goblin Slayer the tire was lower than goblins on his priorities.

Last edited by Kuroageha; 2018-10-27 at 15:59.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 14:18   Link #1130
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Awesome ep =03. Nice and action-packed, with everyone showcasing some kind of specialty that makes them useful on and off the battlefield. The fight itself was interesting and entertaining, giving the ogre a final "f' you" by saying he viewed goblins to be more of a threat than him. One small nitpick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
...and the dwarf spells felt a bit too tame (especially stone blast looks like the dwarf is using pebbles even though they should be really large rocks thrown at very high speed)...
...which kind of bothered me. Although they effectively showed the 'impact' it had on the first cast(pushing him back and making him flinch at least), then second go round he didn't even seem fazed =01. Was that way for the later half of the fight. Well, a minor nitpick, but was so blatantly ineffective-looking it bothers me.

I did enjoy the constant perspectives of the elf(where are the names D0=? Is this like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha?). It gave insight on how grimdark GS's one-track mission is, from another silver-ranked char's perception. It will be interesting for a momentary departure into her world as how she experiences it, which is what I expect the next ep will be about.

Twas also nice at the end that the priestess recognizes that GS is kind in his own way. It's easy to dismiss it as "using whatever means to kill the goblins", like those rookie adventurers thought back in ep 3, but given the minor things that might go unnoticed, like walking with osananajimi or trying to give a break to the priestess in ep 3 thinking she may be tired(at least, that's what I assume he thought, if only he was thinking she'd be less-effective that way), shows that at the very least he cares about the people around him.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 14:30   Link #1131
Botan_TM

Quote:
Goblins are far more troublesome than you
One Line Slayer
Old 2018-10-27, 14:31   Link #1132
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-22 at 06:18.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 14:48   Link #1133
James Rye

I am surprised at how sheltered Elf ranger seems to be. She is over 2000 years old, a Ranger, an adventurer yet this Goblin "adventurer" seems to have really shaken her, make her cry. It was a stark contrast to the dwarf or Lizard, heck, even our little Priestess kept herself more together. You would expect in 2000 years and in a business like this she would have come across quite some bloody and gory stuff already.

That said, the Welcome Home ending after the ED was very healing. Good to know Goblin Slayer has an actual home to return to and not just lives somewhere in an inn or camp because he has nobody he cares about anymore.
Old 2018-10-27, 14:58   Link #1134
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
I am surprised at how sheltered Elf ranger seems to be. She is over 2000 years old, a Ranger, an adventurer yet this Goblin "adventurer" seems to have really shaken her, make her cry. It was a stark contrast to the dwarf or Lizard, heck, even our little Priestess kept herself more together. You would expect in 2000 years and in a business like this she would have come across quite some bloody and gory stuff already.
I think it was mentioned that Elves of this world don't really leave their communities until around HEA's age. Not a great explanation, but its there.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 15:00   Link #1135
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclar View Post
I just assumed it was due to the elf rations. Chekhovs's gun and all about them being used for elves only. That, or just one of those "cast by sheer will" deals that permeate shounen battle mangas.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 15:02   Link #1136
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I just assumed it was due to the elf rations. Chekhovs's gun and all about them being used for elves only. That, or just one of those "cast by sheer will" deals that permeate shounen battle mangas.
There is a simple explanation for it, but I dont know if it counts as a spoiler so I'll leave it at that.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 15:21   Link #1137
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post

That said, the Welcome Home ending after the ED was very healing. Good to know Goblin Slayer has an actual home to return to and not just lives somewhere in an inn or camp because he has nobody he cares about anymore.
HEA kept herself together pretty well though. She clearly experience her share of extreme situations. It's pretty clear it's her first time to see this kind of terror, which is something specialy disgusting, but she still ramsacked very likely highest body count among party in this episode, kept awareness of her surrounding and even lead the charge against Ogre for while.

Well, it's pretty obvious she would rather do real adventuring instead pest contronl though.
Old 2018-10-27, 15:23   Link #1138
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The other casters were fuzzy about how many spells they had left. I assumed it either depended on which spells they cast, or there's a mechanic where you can cast one more in exchange for being exhausted.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 15:31   Link #1139
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The other casters were fuzzy about how many spells they had left. I assumed it either depended on which spells they cast, or there's a mechanic where you can cast one more in exchange for being exhausted.
Casting a spell or a miracle takes a toll on the spellcaster. Regardless if the spell require a catalyst or not, each spell "erodes" the very soul of the caster so they have to rest before using them again. As Anh Minh stated, it depends of the actual spell (where in a real d&d campaign, spells have a very static number of slot requirement), so they might cast more if the spell is is less demanding.

However, in Priestess' case, she basically overdid it and went into a "overcast" situation: regardless of the miracle she performed, her limit is 3 per day, and that fourth miracle could connect her to the heavens so her goddess would respond to her prayer, but she was pretty much near death as the narrative describes it as "[it] effaced her own soul, and now her face was pale, and she was impossibly cold".
Old 2018-10-27, 17:16   Link #1140
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
The massacre of goblin in this episode is brutal. They died without knowing a single thing.

GS may not have the "miracle" but he definitely has enough "brain" not to get overshadowed by "miracle" users. Truly a medieval Batman.
I think the massacre was rather kind (all things considered). Brutal would have been (assuming this was possible) Silence + Paralysis. That way they would have been fully aware that they were being slaughtered but unable to do anything about it.

I do wonder about the gate spell, the actual size of the gate and how long it remains open (given how little water filled the area). I'm assuming you can only enter/exit the gate in one direction (think 'Stargates', from Stargate series). It does lead to some interesting following though, such as what would happen if you hooked up a gate towards the core of a planet (assuming molten rock/metal) or vacuum of space (and then by extension why not just hook it up to a blackhole, assuming those things exist). Of course if that was to happened you'd have to hope you could 'remotely' open a gate, but I'm assuming you need to be holding a scroll in this world/setting.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy