AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-02, 20:43   Link #21
Warm Mist

To think I was excited for this...
Generic PV, generic look, generic composition, and wow, the character designs aren't generic! Of course that's because they're particularly bad.

There's no way something good will come out of this :/
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 20:43   Link #22
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

The art and color palette really draws my eye, but a majority of the designs are just a bit too kiddy for my tastes... I also have mixed feelings about the animation. Some parts of the PV seemed really nice-looking, others were kind of wonky.

I'm willing to keep an eye on this and see where it goes, I suppose.
Old 2013-03-02, 21:16   Link #23
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
To think I was excited for this...
Generic PV, generic look, generic composition, and wow, the character designs aren't generic! Of course that's because they're particularly bad.

There's no way something good will come out of this :/
My impression of them is that they look half super deformed. Personally I am not a big fan of that squat look where the characters have big old hands and clown feet. I sort of have this belief that if you are going to do a show with all girls you have one of two options. Either go for a realistic and/or distinct look or make the designs look as aesthetically appealing as possible. Haven't heard much positive feedback on these ones.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 21:32   Link #24
Warm Mist

I just don't understand what they're going for with these designs. Is it an action series? They're certainly not suited for any sort of exciting action. Is it a very dramatic and dark™ show? They're not helping it. And overall they're just kinda unappealing and inexpressive, with those gigantic bug eyes, extremely skinny bodies and limbs and flamboyant hair. And from what I'm seeing in the PV, they really don't animate well.
Old 2013-03-03, 03:25   Link #25
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

I cannot argue with the fact that you dont like the design, but saying that an anime has an generic composition from a trailer is going too far ahead, its also hard to make critique about the designs,they are not so extraordinary, there are plenty of series with action and/or a dark story with these kind or even goofier/childish designs, also both of aniplex´s biggest hits in recent memory had "unfitting"designs.
Old 2013-03-03, 03:27   Link #26
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Stockings and GarterBelt goes Mahou?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 03:33   Link #27
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Stockings and GarterBelt goes Mahou?
I kind of got an Imaishi-like impression from the designs as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
...Am I alone here in being suddenly really excited for this show? It looks like it could be pretty interesting.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2013-03-03 at 03:56.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 03:36   Link #28
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I got kind of an Imaishi-like impression from the designs as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
...Am I alone here in being suddenly really excited for this show? It looks like it could be pretty interesting
Uhmm... I'm not really a fan of mahou shoujo but... I give the first episode a try... If I taste a zest of yuri.. I'll drop it.. like VRO.
Old 2013-03-03, 03:54   Link #29
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I got kind of an Imaishi-like impression from the designs as well. Glad I'm not the only one.
...Am I alone here in being suddenly really excited for this show? It looks like it could be pretty interesting.
I did thought this was the teased studio trigger next project, the siluette is similar to the main character in this, hell even the weapon is similar.
Spoiler for image:
Old 2013-03-03, 04:49   Link #30
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

For some reason, I think that the character design reminds me of Disgaea.
Hey, I don't think it would be a bad idea if the character designs were optimized to look good on a fighting game like that of Iron Necromancer.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 05:31   Link #31
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
I did thought this was the teased studio trigger next project, the siluette is similar to the main character in this, hell even the weapon is similar.
Spoiler for image:
Black Rock Shooter?
Old 2013-03-03, 09:29   Link #32
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

A discussion on /a/ which comes with a lot of illustrations reveal that the (magical) girls would fight using a set of Tarot cards.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 15:16   Link #33
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
saying that an anime has an generic composition from a trailer is going too far ahead
How so? It's not like the show will look fundamentally different or better than what we're being shown in that trailer. I also don't think that they would intentionally pick bad scenes, what would be the purpose of that? Mislead the audience into thinking the series will be worse than what it really is?
Things like art/color direction, processing and photography can be easily seen in a 90sec trailer, that's what they're useful for.
Old 2013-03-03, 16:09   Link #34
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Mislead the audience into thinking the series will be worse than what it really is?
Things like art/color direction, processing and photography can be easily seen in a 90sec trailer, that's what they're useful for.
What about the Madoka PV's of 2 years ago. It only gave us moments of the non dark moments
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 16:20   Link #35
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
A discussion on /a/ which comes with a lot of illustrations reveal that the (magical) girls would fight using a set of Tarot cards.
Last time I saw that was Saint October. Which never gained very much popularity.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 16:39   Link #36
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
What about the Madoka PV's of 2 years ago. It only gave us moments of the non dark moments
To be frank, Madoka is pretty bad with the screen whenever Inu Curry is not involved...
Old 2013-03-03, 17:19   Link #37
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

thats the style they went for and personally i dont have anything about that,but im aware that is subjective, i honestly thought you meant another thing with composition.
Old 2013-03-04, 02:52   Link #38
Utena

Send a message via ICQ to Utena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I really don't like the art style of this anime, with all the lanky monkey bodies. It's jarring and un-moe.
And it's great. I'm so tired of moe style in anime =_= It would be good to see something new and refreshing.

For some reason designs and overall style also reminded me of Mahou Shoujo Tai Arisu (which was awesome).
Utena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 03:03   Link #39
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utena View Post
And it's great. I'm so tired of moe style in anime =_= It would be good to see something new and refreshing.

For some reason designs and overall style also reminded me of Mahou Shoujo Tai Arisu (which was awesome).
The problem is I get the feeling that the art style is *intended* to be cute and invoke moe reactions in the viewer, but it utterly fails at that endeavor (at least from current promo material and first impressions). This is opposed to anime like Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu and Windy Tales where the art style takes a flatter or more independent approach to begin with.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 07:58   Link #40
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Moe? I really like (most of) the designs but moe certainly wasn't what I was thinking. If anything the images gave me a BRS feeling while the trailer was more of Madoka. There is more to designs than moe and 'not-moe'.

And it has already been said by zeniselv, but judging a whole show that hasn't even aired the first episode is hilarious at best. If you don't enjoy this type of show, then there is no reason for you to stick around in this thread. The only thing that's missing is that after ep1 you come back and post something like "I told you it was bad!" and after it finished "The show was as bad as I expected it to be!"
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, fantasy, mahou shoujo