AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-12-23, 00:14   Link #1
Seiryuu

Mystery anime

I enjoy watching anime with a friend, and have made it through a lot of stuff, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I'll watch just about anything for two or three eps to see if there's anything remotely interesting. My friend's pickier, so finding stuff we'd both like is difficult. I've found that the best fall into three categories.
One of my friend's and my favorite genres is mystery anime. We've gone through a number of them, including Gosick, Hyouka, Danganronpa, Detective Academy Q, and Spiral, and loved every one of them. Sadly, I'm finding it harder now to find mystery series I haven't watched. Any ideas are welcome.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 00:17   Link #2
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I enjoy watching anime with a friend, and have made it through a lot of stuff, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I'll watch just about anything for two or three eps to see if there's anything remotely interesting. My friend's pickier, so finding stuff we'd both like is difficult. I've found that the best fall into three categories.
One of my friend's and my favorite genres is mystery anime. We've gone through a number of them, including Gosick, Hyouka, Danganronpa, Detective Academy Q, and Spiral, and loved every one of them. Sadly, I'm finding it harder now to find mystery series I haven't watched. Any ideas are welcome.
Well there are more than 700 Episodes of Detective Conan.
Old 2013-12-23, 06:18   Link #3
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
There's also like 70 episodes of Monster.
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 09:30   Link #4
Seiryuu

My friend's told me several times about "Case Closed". I'm somewhat interested, but I'm very hesitant with series that go on TOO long. With most plots, the only way to keep that up is with filler, an utter lack of progress, regression or numerous "tip of the iceberg" revelations.
Old 2013-12-23, 22:33   Link #5
SZinnocence
~~Jinx~~

If you want Mystery
you can try

Heavens Memo Pad (Just Like GoSick)
Another
Chaos Head
Darker Than Black
Death Note
Futari wa Milky Holmes
Ghost Hunt
Hellsing
Ghost in Shell
Mirai Nikki (One of my favorite)
hinrei Tantei Yakumo
Old 2013-12-24, 12:23   Link #6
L7997
Paraph

I just finished watching Ghost Hunt and even read the manga. i'm having withdrawal symptoms so i highly recommend it. @_@

The mystery is very well paced and i even got a bit spooked. The interaction between the characters are really wonderful too. The series does not explore character development and focuses more on the plot. It is episodic, but the episodes tie together nicely. I recommend reading the manga for closure.
L7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-24, 19:31   Link #7
jdennis007

Have you tried Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, the spend the series tracking down the ghost legends of their school.
Old 2013-12-25, 11:30   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Surprised no one mentioned Hyouka

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 00:46   Link #9
Tenzen12

These weren't mentioned yet.

Un-go
Puppet Master Sakon
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro

EDIT: Forgot mention: Denpa Teki na Kanojo

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-12-26 at 07:24.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 09:18   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's a murder mystery in Shion no Ou, but it pales in comparison to the main story about a young girl's quest to become a top Shougi ("Japanese chess") player. Shion's parents were brutally murdered before her eyes when she was four; the investigation of the case parallels the main story.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 11:39   Link #11
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Surprised no one mentioned Hyouka
Was mentioned in opening post already.
Old 2013-12-28, 20:10   Link #12
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Ghost Hound
Monster
Gankutsuou
Paraonia Agent
Boogiepop Phantom
Baccano!
Higurashi
Shiki
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-30, 07:15   Link #13
BloodPrincess

Some of the ones I'm about to tell you about are probably here already but it's like 4 am and I don't really feel like reading every single comment at the moment so:

Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Shin Sekai Yori
Death Note
Shiki
Another
Hyouka

And I think that's about it...
BloodPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-30, 08:59   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I forgot to mention Mouryou no Hako, a story about a succession of brutal murders where young women are dismembered and their limbs boxed up and distributed around a Japanese city. A complete set of torrents can be found by searching Google; otherwise you can watch a low-quality version on YouTube.

I'll also toss out Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo. Ryoko is the stunningly beautiful head of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police. At the outset the show tends to the "monster-of-the-week" format, but the plot thickens in the latter episodes. I mostly enjoyed by witty repartee between Ryoko and her male subordinate who resolutely fends off his boss's various attempts to seduce him. The opening credits are a loving homage to Maurice Binder's work on the James Bond films.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 16:37   Link #15
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There's a murder mystery in Shion no Ou, but it pales in comparison to the main story about a young girl's quest to become a top Shougi ("Japanese chess") player. Shion's parents were brutally murdered before her eyes when she was four; the investigation of the case parallels the main story.
I'd disagree there, I'd say the two sides were close to equal in my book.

Saw Higurashi, haven't seen Umineko.
My friend and I generally prefer to avoid stuff that's beyond a certain level of "dark", like Shin Sekai Yori (judging from the trailer at least), Another, Hellsing or Shiki.

Haven't seen Ghost Hound, have meant to see Monster. Will not watch Gankutsuou, I can't stand those shows that mess around with the art that much (if it's the one I'm thinking of, where objects moved and the patterns on the objects obviously didn't).
We've seen Memo Pad. Haven't seen Chaos Head, Darker Than Black, Death Note (I think my friend may have), or Futari wa Milky Holmes(I've seen one or two eps, but I'm not sure about it).
We've watched part of Future Diary, and I promised we'd watch the rest once I can get it (I could BT it but the censors are strong enough I'd prefer to wait a month or two for the rest of it to come out over here).

I'm introducing my friend to Ghost Hunt, though he doesn't seem to be a terribly big fan so far. Conversely, he's been trying to get me to watch Case Closed, but I generally avoid stuff that just keeps going indefinitely: I like my shows to have an end.
Old 2014-01-03, 17:15   Link #16
tedybearsoka

I'm not sure if this counts but i would recommend mushishi. like it said i think its mysterious but it isn't that actual genre
tedybearsoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 17:46   Link #17
aiuewatcher
The Eternal Newbie

If you like Detective Academy Q, I recommend Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo. Same authors
aiuewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 09:42   Link #18
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

I'll recommend a j-drama lol.. MOP GIRL. It' s a lot of fun to watch due to the casting. 1 or 2 eps should be enough to decide if you like it or not. ALSO watashitachi nokyoukasho is a drama where there something happens and you find out the actual circumstances by the last episode. I thought it was a really well-done drama though a little slow. I would say give 2 eps to see if you like the drama or not.

There's also JIN which has a really interesting mystery plot. i would say 3 eps to see if you like it or not. I know it's based set in edo-jidai which may or not off-put you. i had worries that it would be boring or unwatchable because of the setting but it's one of the best j-dramas i've seen.

Lastly, LIAR GAME drama season 1. It's based on a manga and the drama is 35 minutes per ep so it's pretty fast-paced. It gets really interesting from episode 3.

Also a japanese movie called Kokuhaku (confessions) from 2010 fits too. The movie unfolds in confessions in the from monologues from different characters' point of view. It has lots of surprises and shocking parts lol. I have seen my fair share of shitty japanese dramas and movies with awful scripts, pacing, and acting that i'm so surprised there's a jpanese movie this good. that's why i recommend it. It's based on a book but it was adapted so well it almost makes book-to-movie adapting seem effortless. Be sure to get the GOOD subs lol. there's 2 different subs floating around and one of them is awful.

i know you're looking for anime but nothing really comes up in my head but i'll just give my thoughts on some of the ones mentioned.

for gankutsuou if you don't like it by ep 2 you should drop it because it's like that all the way through. it's not for everyone. and the same goes for monster. if you loved it, keep watching, otherwise just stop...

Chaos Head is awful so I would recommend you avoid it actually lol. As the episodes go on it gets worse and worse... it's based on an eroge or light novel... either way that enough to off-put me. at first it seems like an interesting mystery but then after a while you realize it's empty and the fan-service or sexual crap just made me roll my eyes. you know what it must be based on an eroge why else do the characters look like that and the anime has that content...

I personally thought darker than black was awful... I would say 3 eps max to decide if you like it or not. for me none of the characters weren't fleshed out at all like i didn't care and the story was a hot hot mess. i say this because i saw it to the bitter end. i really should have dropped it.

I just remembered a mystery anime on my to watch list: red garden. I haven't see but u can check of reviews on the Internet

For american dramas BONES is really good if u want a show that's smart and doesn't treat the audience like an idiot.

Last edited by xxanimefan4_ever; 2014-01-05 at 17:16.
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 03:42   Link #19
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Havent found a good mistery anime since Hyouka, but i can tell you what not to watch, stay away from Another, Un-Go both are really bad as mistery shows.
Also, it depends on what mistery do you want, a fair mistery that you can solve? a supernatural mistery? a suspense thriller that isn't necessarily fair?
Also, lol at Bones being a good and/or smart show.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 14:52   Link #20
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Havent found a good mistery anime since Hyouka, but i can tell you what not to watch, stay away from Another, Un-Go both are really bad as mistery shows.
Also, it depends on what mistery do you want, a fair mistery that you can solve? a supernatural mistery? a suspense thriller that isn't necessarily fair?
Also, lol at Bones being a good and/or smart show.
well i think hyouka is awful especially as a mystery.