AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-12-23, 00:11   Link #1
Seiryuu

Richly artistic series

I enjoy watching anime with a friend, and have made it through a lot of stuff, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I'll watch just about anything for two or three eps to see if there's anything remotely interesting. My friend's pickier, so finding stuff we'd both like is difficult. I've found that the best fall into three categories.
In this thread, I'm looking for works with a really artistic atmosphere. It's hard to describe, but easy to spot, often with rich landscape, beautiful music, and an interesting plot. Examples include Haibane Renmei, So Ra No Wo To, Gosick, Last Exile and Galilei Donna.
Fanservice is fine but not too much. While I'm pretty much fine with it, my friend has stricter limits.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 00:15   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm. Well, for me Kemono no Souja Erin has all you have mentioned, but the art style is watercolorish (kinda like Usagi Drop was) and may not be visually something you like if Gosick is more both your speed.

Have you tried Ikoku Meiro no Croise? That might fit the bill....
Old 2013-12-23, 08:57   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Following on Flower's suggestion of Croiseé, I suggest you take a look at the two AKB0048 seasons. All three feature the work of some remarkable French artists. Their backgrounds feature a strong sense of perspective, which contrasts sharply with the "superflat" nature of most Japanese anime.

Next I strongly recommend Nakamura Kenji's "apothecary" stories, "Bakeneko" and Mononoke. They are beautifully designed and colored and appear to have been drawn on rice paper.

Kamiyama Kenji and his team at I.G did some lovely work in Seirei no Moribito especially in scenes where water, an important aspect of the story, appears. The opening panorama of rice paddies made me catch my breath the first time I saw it.

Akane Kazuki's Noein is worth a watch. Some people are put off by the character models, but the composition and some of the effects are wonderful. The show does tend to overuse 3-D modelling, a characteristic of shows from Satelight. You'll see a couple of instances in AKB0048 as well. Satelight has gotten much better at integrating 3-D; compare the 3-D model of the girls' spaceship in AKB0048's opening episode to the strange attack craft at the beginning of Noein.

Finally, you should give Iso Matsuo's Dennou Coil a try. It's a beautiful show from start to finish, but you need only watch the first episode to see some of nifty effects like the scenes that take place in "obsolete spaces."

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-12-23 at 09:07.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 16:41   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I heavily recommend Kamisama no Inai Nichibyou. It's atmosphere is something many on this forum agreed was the best thing about the show.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-24, 12:41   Link #5
L7997
Paraph

I also think Mononoke would be fitting. Gankutsuou is also very beautiful though I dropped it as I wasn't interested in the plot.
The movie Angels Egg is mysterious and totally left to interpretation. I found it somewhat enjoyable but i think the pro is mostly the impression it leaves you with. I still can't make sense of it.
I highly recommend the short film series titled Sweat Punch, by Studio 4 C, for the same reason i recommended Angels Egg. I would say the plot isn't the focus in both shows.
The Aoi Bungaku series is somewhat dark. There's several stories, all done with different styles.

The above recommendations are more experimental; some are more like thoughts than they are plot driven stories. Haibane Renmei, in comparison, is pretty grounded, or less elusive. If you enjoyed Haibane Renmei, I think you would appreciate Kino no tabi. It's contemplative and explores different philosophies.
...well now that i think of it, Haibane Renmei isn't actually more grounded, but the way the story is told, there is a sense of a connection between the characters and the viewer. I think Kino no Tabi has this sort of element.

Last edited by L7997; 2013-12-24 at 13:06.
L7997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-25, 11:29   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Aria is the first to leap to mind, but thinking about it there isn't much plot, just a gorgeous landscape.

Hyouka is probably a better choice. A mystery series that has a very high artistic quotient.

Madoka Magica could fit. Great music, interesting landscapes, and a good plot.

Katanagatari has an artistic atmosphere.

Perhaps Angel Beats?

A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun have great landscapes and decent music, but also pretty heavy on the fanservice, and the plots can be hit or miss. However, Railgun S (second season of railgun) has a very good plot and not much fanservice and it doesn't really require watching the first season as flasback cover everything you need to know.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 might be worth checking out. A space opera with great music. I like the atmosphere and landscape.

Kotoura-san doesn't have amazing landscapes, but it does have a bit of atmosphere as a tragi-comedy.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has loads of artistic atmosphere, though I don't know if it's what you are looking for. You might want to check out an episode or two and see what you think.

Penguindrum of course has a high amount of artistic atmosphere.

Kimi ni Todoke has good music, and I consider it an artistic atmosphere, although the story is just a simple pure love story.

Hanasaku Iroha has amazing landscapes, though the story is a bit uneven though.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-25, 16:31   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by L7997 View Post
I highly recommend the short film series titled Sweat Punch, by Studio 4 C
Reminded me to add that studio's unusual magical girl series, Mahou Shoujotai Arusu (aka "Tweeny Witches") with lovely artwork throughout. OP; ED
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 03:36   Link #8
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
Uhm, anything by Makoto Shinkai
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 16:26   Link #9
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Aria is the first to leap to mind, but thinking about it there isn't much plot, just a gorgeous landscape.

Hyouka is probably a better choice. A mystery series that has a very high artistic quotient.

Madoka Magica could fit. Great music, interesting landscapes, and a good plot.

Katanagatari has an artistic atmosphere.

Perhaps Angel Beats?

A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun have great landscapes and decent music, but also pretty heavy on the fanservice, and the plots can be hit or miss. However, Railgun S (second season of railgun) has a very good plot and not much fanservice and it doesn't really require watching the first season as flasback cover everything you need to know.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 might be worth checking out. A space opera with great music. I like the atmosphere and landscape.

Kotoura-san doesn't have amazing landscapes, but it does have a bit of atmosphere as a tragi-comedy.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has loads of artistic atmosphere, though I don't know if it's what you are looking for. You might want to check out an episode or two and see what you think.

Penguindrum of course has a high amount of artistic atmosphere.

Kimi ni Todoke has good music, and I consider it an artistic atmosphere, although the story is just a simple pure love story.

Hanasaku Iroha has amazing landscapes, though the story is a bit uneven though.
Some of these we've watched, some not, and a few were decided against. Hyouka was one of my friend's and my favorites. Index and Railgun are also great, as we both like epic-style stuff, esp. stuff with a large fictional history or mythoppeia. Angel Beats was again among our tops.

I haven't tried Jojo or Yamato but have been slightly hesitant about JoJo's storyline.

I watched some of Madoka Magica with my friend before quitting, partly because the plot was too depressing (at the time, having finished on my own I can say the end make up for the middle, like light at the end of a pitch-dark tunnel), but partly because while the art was interesting it had too much breakout, my word for those art spots (mostly witch) that deliberately avoid meshing with the main material. I'm not a big fan of that sort of thing, any more than I am of shows where patterns on objects are deliberately and blatantly disconnected from the objects themselves. If you look through the items I listed the art is often quite something, especially the scenic/landscape art, but it seemed to fit with the show itself.

I've watched part of Nichiyoubi, though I haven't completed it. I'm not sure where I stand with that one, but I'll give it a shot.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 22:27   Link #10
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Zetsuen No Tempest: if you like the sora no woto OST the same composer worked on this one , also it's studio bones so there's some top notch visuals

Uchouten Kazoku not everyone likes the chara-designs but every thing else about the visuals is splendid
Old 2014-01-03, 22:36   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Oh the really weird stuff in Jojo doesn't start until later. 1st season is just an epic tale of good vs evil.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote